• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Revived at Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Banned
Sony needs to just give everything Marvel related back to Marve/Disney. I would of said the same thing for Fox if it weren't for Deadpool. Then again, I'm sure Fox will dip their fingers into the next Deadpool and ruin it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sony needs to just give everything Marvel related back to Marve/Disney. I would of said the same thing for Fox if it weren't for Deadpool. Then again, I'm sure Fox will dip their fingers into the next Deadpool and ruin it.

Or fox has learned that if you let passionate, talented people do their thing, you get to earn your investment back ten times over....

Yeah, but wasn't that reason because Trank couldn't handle the pressure of a massive film like that, so the studio brought others in to take over?

Yeah, depending on who you ask, F4 was either ruined by studio interference or had to be "fixed" by a team of film doctors after Trank was way out of his depth. There were also reports that Fox slashed the budget when they started to lose faith in Trank's ability to deliver results. Either way, I think it's clear that Trank was hostile, juvenile, and very difficult to work with for both cast and crew. He lost the Star Wars gig due to the production of F4.

For what it's worth, F4 had a handful of interesting ideas amidst a needlessly long opening, a middle act where nothing happens, and a rushed hack job of a finale. It might have been a decent flick under a more experienced director and a script rewrite.

Yeah, depending on who you ask, F4 was either ruined by studio interference or had to be "fixed" by a team of film doctors after Trank was way out of his depth. There were also reports that Fox slashed the budget when they started to lose faith in Trank's ability to deliver results. Either way, I think it's clear that Trank was hostile, juvenile, and very difficult to work with for both cast and crew. He lost the Star Wars gig due to the production of F4.

For what it's worth, F4 had a handful of interesting ideas amidst a needlessly long opening, a middle act where nothing happens, and a rushed hack job of a finale. It might have been a decent flick under a more experienced director and a script rewrite.

So, Trank couldn't finish by the deadline and FOX sends in folks to accelerate the process?

Disgraced

And everyone knows that PS1 and N64 Venom is the best Venom.

mqdefault.jpg
Yes! The VO is so amazing in a Saturday-morning cartoon kind of way. Without that game Venom wouldn't be one of my favorite characters. I love it.

I could see this movie being cool if it mixed the xeno-horror and vigilante genres or shot for Mission Impossible-ish.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It's not really clear what happened. Lots of in-fighting, anyway. The cast is pretty mum on the whole thing.

THR did a small write-up highlighting some of the rumours.

Yup, there's been a lot of fingerpointing and he-said-she-said. But F4 was a big IP for Fox and they wanted to make crossovers with the X-Men, so they were probably more hands-on with this than Deadpool, where they basically said "y'know, here's 56 million, the internet seems to want it, do your worst." the only times execs were involved was when Miller and Reynolds were discussing which characters they could use for their movie (as it turned out, the suits had no idea they had the rights for NTW).

Plus, Trank was thrown into the deep end and came up belly-up. He was totally out of his depth and IMHO that's also partially the studio's fault. They hired a director who just came out of a fantastic superhero-flick. The main differences with the F4-movie were legion; Chronicle came out of nowhere, had no fanbase that expected anything, had no cinematic universe rules to adhere and it had a low profile untill the first trailer hit.
On the other hand, Trank should've pushed his ego aside and realized this was more than he could chew. He should've gotten all the help he could get.

Matt Damon for Eddie Brock, at the very least.
It's not really clear what happened. Lots of in-fighting, anyway. The cast is pretty mum on the whole thing.

THR did a small write-up highlighting some of the rumours.

Yup, there's been a lot of fingerpointing and he-said-she-said. But F4 was a big IP for Fox and they wanted to make crossovers with the X-Men, so they were probably more hands-on with this than Deadpool, where they basically said "y'know, here's 56 million, the internet seems to want it, do your worst." the only times execs were involved was when Miller and Reynolds were discussing which characters they could use for their movie (as it turned out, the suits had no idea they had the rights for NTW).

Plus, Trank was thrown into the deep end and came up belly-up. He was totally out of his depth and IMHO that's also partially the studio's fault. They hired a director who just came out of a fantastic superhero-flick. The main differences with the F4-movie were legion; Chronicle came out of nowhere, had no fanbase that expected anything, had no cinematic universe rules to adhere and it had a low profile untill the first trailer hit.
On the other hand, Trank should've pushed his ego aside and realized this was more than he could chew. He should've gotten all the help he could get.
Interesting. I knew something went down, just wasn't clear on the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom