• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I figured something like this would happen. Sony is literally shoehorning their movies into the MCU by using Spider-Man. Venom will join the Defenders, and Ghost Rider...exists in the same universe but will never be mentioned.

I figured something like this would happen. Sony is literally shoehorning their movies into the MCU by using Spider-Man. Venom will join the Defenders, and Ghost Rider...exists in the same universe but will never be mentioned.

What does Ghost Rider have to do with Sony?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Nothing? Did you read my post? Ghost Rider exists in the MCU and won't appear in the movies, same for Daredevil, Punisher, etc.

And now Venom too. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Venom will be once removed from even Ghost Rider & Punisher.

None of them will appear in MCU movies, but the latter 2 do appear in the MCU.

Slayven

Alpha_02.jpg

If it's part of the MCU its going to have the same look at it that Homecoming got with Marvel having a say over things.

Its got Tom Hardy. It could be good.

Slayven

Oh, that kid! Didn't he ever have electricity powers or something?

What even happened to him? Did they kill him off?
Due to his exposure to the Parker Particles, Andy is now capable of continually recharging massive amounts of cosmic energy, which he can release in the form of energy blasts, super strength, super speed, force fields, telekinesis, matter manipulation, and flight.

Cuburt

I think this is the best way to do it if they make a Spider-verse at all. They just need to make sure Avi Arad and them are actually listening to Marvel's notes this time because I don't see why they can't play in Marvel's playground as long as they respect their rules. The alternative is Spider-Manless spin-offs (who really thinks that's a good idea) or recasting a separate Spider-Man just for spin-off which is an awful idea.

At least this gives me more hope that Pete will get the symbiote in Infinity War as set up for the Venom film. People have speculated as much for a while, especially when Holland was shown wearing those mocap gloves in the Infinity War preview. I mean, what is the point of doing this Sony/Marvel crossover if they don't capitalize on it's potential? Sony can't be that stupid not to realize it helps them more in the long run. They get to make the stories that Marvel can't and Sony gets to have more organic crossover ideas that just having Spider-Man show up once in a while in MCU films and big characters like Tony or Cap appearing in Spider-Man films to boost their box office.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If this is what Sony is planning then they were smart.

It would have been smarter to just let Marvel make the movies and rake in the free cash. They're going to just drill holes in their own lifeboat if they decide to make terrible Spiderverse movies on their own to pass the time.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think this is the best way to do it if they make a Spider-verse at all.

If they do Spider-Verse, I want Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland teaming up to fight Mysterio, if purely to give a happier sense of closure to the Raimi trilogy than Tobey's Peter wordlessly apologising to MJ for slapping her in the face.

Yes, I'm aware this would most likely make for a terrible film.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I fully expect Marvel Studios/Feige to have some hand in these movies. Even if it's just script notes. They won't let Sony shoehorn movies into their carefully built universe without some say. No way, no how.

mjc

I fully expect Marvel Studios/Feige to have some hand in these movies. Even if it's just script notes. They won't let Sony shoehorn movies into their carefully built universe without some say. No way, no how.

Feige's face said it all.

tumblr_mqt70fxfNR1rsikbyo1_500.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned

jon bones

Remender's Venom run was pretty good

they won't take a hand in those movies, because those movies aren't in their universe

Sony can't "shoehorn" a movie into the MCU

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
they won't take a hand in those movies, because those movies aren't in their universe

Sony can't "shoehorn" a movie into the MCU

You know damn well that by existing alongside Spider-Man, these movies will be part of the MCU. Marvel Studios can ignore them like they do Marvel TV, but they will be part of the same world, whether they like it or not. And that's why Feige needs to move his ass and offer some advice ASAP, otherwise we're headed to ASM2.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Feige doesn't have a special hat for this movie.

What does this mean?!

Maybe he will have. We know zero about this movie, now since the Venom movie takes place in the MCU, maybe this will have also changed? There is a bit hope, maybe he just looked that strange because he didnt wanted the symbiote costume beeing part of Infinity War beeing spoiled by Amy. Not saying it was really said, but I guess with this announcement today and and Tom mysterious CGI costume on the Infinity War set, its pretty likely.

What if they pull venom from the Sam Raimi universe through the multiverse (Eddy dies in the process) and the symbiote survives.

I know I'm reaching......

jon bones

You know damn well that by existing alongside Spider-Man, these movies will be part of the MCU. Marvel Studios can ignore them like they do Marvel TV, but they will be part of the same world, whether they like it or not. And that's why Feige needs to move his ass and offer some advice ASAP, otherwise we're headed to ASM2.

I disagree, but I can understand the confusion.

The 'MCU proper' are the movies. These are the only true sources of canonical lore, and they include Homecoming.

Then there's the 'extended MCU'. These are the ABC, Netflix, Freeform, Hulu shows & one-shots. These can be included in the MCU, but they have to react to the movies.

Then there are Sony's movies. If they ever get made, they are essentially big budget fanfic. If Holland appears in them, he appears as a different version of his Homecoming / Civil War character - because when he appears in the next MCU movie, he will have no recollection of the events from Sony's films.

People might get confused - which is Sony's goal - but I don't think there's any way the course of the MCU will change because of what Sony tries to do.

Marvel have stated they aren't creatively involved with the film, so no, they wouldn't be in the position to stop it being anything.

Exactly - Marvel is not going to let a film they didn't make into the MCU.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I disagree, but I can understand the confusion.

The 'MCU proper' are the movies. These are the only true sources of canonical lore, and they include Homecoming.

Then there's the 'extended MCU'. These are the ABC, Netflix, Freeform, Hulu shows & one-shots. These can be included in the MCU, but they have to react to the movies.

Then there are Sony's movies. If they ever get made, they are essentially big budget fanfic. If Holland appears in them, he appears as a different version of his Homecoming / Civil War character - because when he appears in the next MCU movie, he will have no recollection of the events from Sony's films.

People might get confused - which is Sony's goal - but I don't think there's any way the course of the MCU will change because of what Sony tries to do.

Exactly - Marvel is not going to let a film they didn't make into the MCU.

Feels like you are grasping at straws because you don't want Sony to stink up the MCU. Trust me I don't want that either, but the fact is, it'll be the same Spider-Man, and I think you know that. Do you REALLY think that Tom Holland will play two different Spider-Men? Nah...And that was Sony's plan all along. Why do you think Feige looked so pissed? Cause his carefully built universe is getting parts out of his control.

It's clear that Sony is about to shoehorn their shit into the MCU. There is no confusion. Marvel may have no creative control, and they will never reference the movies, but it'll be part of the bigger connected universe and you know it. Best we can hope is a Netflix style situation where it's never referenced and might as well not exist.

jon bones

Feels like you are grasping at straws because you don't want Sony to stink up the MCU. Trust me I don't want that either, but the fact is, it'll be the same Spider-Man, and I think you know that. Do you REALLY think that Tom Holland will play two different Spider-Men? Nah...And that was Sony's plan all along. Why do you think Feige looked so pissed? Cause his carefully built universe is getting parts out of his control.

It's clear that Sony is about to shoehorn their shit into the MCU. There is no confusion. Marvel may have no creative control, and they will never reference the movies, but it'll be part of the bigger connected universe and you know it. Best we can hope is a Netflix style situation where it's never referenced and might as well not exist.

we'll have to agree to disagree

SpaceWolf

Banned

Complete conjecture.

I think we should all wait for a little more information from both Feige and Pascal about how Sony and Marvel are going to approach the Venom film before touting our own understanding of the situation as fact.

Surely that means Marvel has some control then. Could be good. Hope it's good.

As previously mentioned, Feige has stated in the past that Marvel has no creative control over the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable spin-offs Sony are currently cooking up.

jon bones

Complete conjecture.

I think we should all wait for a little more information from both Feige and Pascal about how Sony and Marvel are going to approach the Venom film before touting our own understanding of the situation as fact.

my point is that it doesn't matter how sony approaches their rated r venom movie - i am confident feige isn't going to have spidey reference it in homecoming 2

“For now, there is no plan for Venom in the MCU. It’s a Sony Project.”

Top Bottom