• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: Kendrick Lamar and the Grammys’ hip-hop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full article at the link.

Ehrlich is partially right; the Grammys will necessarily involve black artists in every aspect of the award show, from the performances to the nominations, because without black music there would be no Grammys. But since the first rap category was introduced in 1989 and the popularity of rap music grew past the widely loved R&B and soul sounds of the '70s and '80s, the Grammys have largely adopted the "stay in your lane" mentality with a wider road. You can perform and win your rap awards, and maybe take home a music video award, but once it’s time for the main categories — Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist — don’t expect a trophy.

This kind of prejudice tends to show up when a hip-hop artist does something that is considered stepping out of line, like building an entire album around the poor treatment of blacks in America and garnering unanimous critical acclaim for it. A savvy producer knows to give a platform to a performance whose politics he doesn’t support, at least, when it’s sure to bring in more viewers and in turn more money. He knows that excluding a genre of music made up largely of black people is a bad look, so he brings them into the fold, gives them a stage, offers them a set of rap-specific trophies to share among themselves, and watches the ratings rise. But when it comes time to reward their work as compared to the biggest pop and rock acts of the day, well, there’s always next time.

Lamar may have delivered the performance that kept the world talking long after Taylor took home her trophies, but the awards themselves were not a reflection of that. And that’s a familiar pattern by now: the Recording Academy is all too happy to engage in the most polite form of plunder against hip-hop to boost the ratings of its telecast, while it rarely bestows its top award upon the genre. No hip-hop song has ever won Song of the Year. No hip-hop song has ever won Record of the Year. The only hip-hop acts to win Best New Artist are Lauryn Hill and Macklemore... over Kendrick Lamar.

Only two hip-hop albums have won Album of the Year — the most prestigious award in the music industry — and the most popular and influential genre of music today has never won the Grammy without having a major crossover pop hit (Outkast) or being largely rooted in R&B and soul (Lauryn Hill). The Grammys hasn’t been able to bring itself to accept hip-hop without a caveat, and more specifically hip-hop that speaks directly to the black experience.

The Recording Academy just can’t seem to find it in themselves to hand an award to a rap artist when they’re up against white artists in genre-spanning categories. Black Music and popular music have been intertwined for the last 30 years, but when it comes to indisputable hip-hop classics like Nas’ Illmatic, Notorious B.I.G.’s Life After Death, Jay Z’s The Blueprint, and Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the nominations turn a blind eye. Since 1999, the Grammys have nominated 90 records for Album of the Year with only 11 going to black hip-hop artists. An organization that once recognized the achievements of black artists has taken a dramatic step back as black music evolved into something they weren’t comfortable with. (From 1975–1985, four Album of the Year awards were given to black artists; from 2005–2015, only one was.)

I mean the fact 1989 won says it all. It was YATSA in every sense of the word that really did nothing different outside of finally getting rid of any hit of country-ness for full blown bubble gum pop.

Slayven

Yeah hip hop sections is used as "we will profit off you, and bump your music, but we can't gave you that must shine" awards

hawk2025

The Grammys are so incredibly averse to any risk that it really doesn't surprise me.

I had it pegged as a matter of popularity, but the fact that Rap is so popular shows that this can't be the whole story.

Hmmm, interesting to think about.

Arc

To Pimp a Butterfly wasn't as good as Good Kid Maad City. Sorry everyone. Though GKMD was snubbed (had strong competition that year if I remember correctly).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You know what the real tragedy is?

The fact that 1989 won, yet the far superior E.MO.TION by Carly Rae wasn't even nominated! The Grammy Awards are a useless mess!

mSc8sd8.gif

Slayven

That is why i love the BET awards, not only do they put on a better show. But the awards given out are usually correct.

But there still needs to be more props among the industry.

krazen

To Pimp a Butterfly wasn't as good as Good Kid Maad City. Sorry everyone. Though GKMD was snubbed (had strong competition that year if I remember correctly).

When has the grammy's been about 'better'.

As good as 1989 has been praised, you aren't going to find an album that combines critical acclaim AND record sales. It mined traditional 'music focused' artforms like jazz, was as cutting edge hip-hop (and by extension pop) in 2015 and provided the unofficial slogan for a political movement.

Basically, shit that most music critics would be creaming themselves over and a no-brainer...except not in this case.

Mimosa97

Yeah well you have people on GAF who honestly believe 1989 is a more iconic album than TPAB. And you expect the grammys to take risks ?

lol.

Grammys have always been a popularity contest. At least we know that shitty Taylor Swift pop music will be forgotten in 10 years while Kendrick's album will be remembered for ages.

Chase17

I thought either Sound and Color or TPAB should have won. Would have been great to see Kendrick take home AOTY. Still, 5 Grammy's and 11 nominations is a tremendous achievement (even if it stings a little without AOTY). I almost think there shouldn't be an overall AOTY category since it's very difficult to compare genres of music (for example I couldn't pick between the Alabama Shakes and Kendrick this year).

The Grammy's have predominantly given their top awards to popular acts with the year's big hit, over conceptual stuff that powerfully speaks to a smaller audience. Like most complaints about award shows, the blame can really be put on the larger industry and what sees the highest amount of popularity. If anything the Grammy's have an edge over most awards shows in terms of representation, since they give awards to individual genres.

Ivan 3414

Yeah well you have people on GAF who honestly believe 1989 is a more iconic album than TPAB. And you expect the grammys to take risks ?

lol.

Grammys have always been a popularity contest. At least we know that shitty Taylor Swift pop music will be forgotten in 10 years while Kendrick's album will be remembered for ages.

That is absolutely not a possibility

vern

Yet Another Taylor Swift Album?

I feel weird that I somehow immediately picked up on that, haha
assuming I'm actually right

You are smarter than me.

Yet Another Taylor Swift Album

Seems like a random acronym to throw out there. TPAB was YAKLA, it was great though. Not quite up to par with GKMC but still better than MOARLY. This is kind of fun. :p

Also FTGs! Sucks that they take advantage of AA artists but we really shouldn't be investing anything in them anyway.

Striek

The numbers presented as 'the problem' don't support the articles conclusions.

There is no under-representation present, from nominations to wins. Arguing over individual decisions is one thing, but to imply there is systemic racism at the Grammys (ala the Academy) is debunked by the statistics.

Any other year I'd say give the trophy to Kendrick and call it a day, but he just happened to drop his album the same year as mah gurl Taylor's magnum opus.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why do people expect the Grammys to do anything but present awards to the most safe pop culture stuff?

it's the fucking Grammys. The Simpsons was laughing at it 20 years ago.

Damerman

Nah. You cant even compare the albums, why would you say this?

It begins.

Thank goodness some is talking about this. I was really hoping more major sites would tackle this, but at least someone cared enough to write something about this.

On topic, it is frankly insulting that the Grammys continues to reject the idea of different genres being able to win Album of the Year. That feels like why areas like hip-hop and electronic music have their own containment awards so no one can say the Grammys don't recognize their genres. For an album of such critical appraise to lose to an album whose only claims to fame are slick videos, going platinum in music's weakest year, and talk about artist compensation, it feels like a slap in the face.

The fact that the Grammys continue to deny hip-hop and electronic, two of the most popular genres of the modern age, a fair shot at album of the year unless they blend R&B and mainstream pop sensibility is absolute horseshit. The fact that Nas, 2Pac, the Wu-Tang Clan as a whole and a whole bunch of essential genres don't have Grammys is absolute crap. But, if even David Bowie can end up only winning one Grammy for Best Video of all things and a Lifetime Grammy, then it only furthers the idea the Grammys shouldn't be marketed as a barometer for greatness.

Anyone who is a music fan knows the Grammys are bullshit, but still, an institution as off-the-pulse as the Grammys are need to be shown just how wrong they are. Maybe their ratings dive this year will do that, maybe I'm fucking kidding myself because the Grammys will see their diving ratings and think "Millenials like memes, right? More memes? Lolz, I can haz Grammy amirite? More EDM! More like the MTV Music Awards! Maybe Kevin Hart should host it! Anything but look at the value of our awards and make them more in touch with pop culture!"

As I've said before, the Grammys could be a force for good, incentivising the industry towards a balance between pop and music with a message. It could seal the divide between popular music and music made for art. It could become a barometer for quality and fucking mean something, but it seems content with letting slickly made synthetic products win over albums with social impact and meaning.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Album of the Year

Random Access Memories – Daft Punk

The Blessed Unrest – Sara Bareilles

good kid, m.A.A.d city – Kendrick Lamar

Red – Taylor Swift

The Heist – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Not more than any other year.

Fuchsdh

I'll need a citation to the statement that hip-hop is the most popular and influential genre today. Because at least from a sales standpoint I can find plenty of sources that disprove that.

RDreamer

I don't get why anyone's even worked up about the Grammy's. For fuck's sake they gave best rock album to Muse's "Drones." It's pretty clear they're beyond a joke in every sense of the word. There are whole genres they skip and a bunch more they kind of half ass.

PaulloDEC

Complicated race issues aside, this brings home to me the fact that awards like "Album of the Year" or "Song of the Year" make no sense when there's so much variation within the category. The same goes with film; how do you look at, say, Inside Out and Mad Max and pick the "best film"? They're vastly different works.

Taking two or more equally excellent but totally different songs/albums and trying to pick the "best" one is just crazy IMO. Replace that crap with genre-specific awards and watch everyone get the recognition they deserve.

Bladenic

lol.

Not a chance in hell of that happening lmao

Ashhong

lol.

Iconic to who? I guarantee you there are people out there who will see it as a more iconic album, why is that so wrong?

Hell, I loved 1989 and found it more enjoyable than TPAB. Am I wrong? What happened to being able to have opinions

You are smarter than me.

Seems like a random acronym to throw out there. TPAB was YAKLA, it was great though. Not quite up to par with GKMC but still better than MOARLY. This is kind of fun. :p

Also FTGs! Sucks that they take advantage of AA artists but we really shouldn't be investing anything in them anyway.

Not really Yet Another XXX signifies something that has not evolved, by the numbers. Which is exactly what 1989, there is no real growth from Taylor unless you count dropping her fake twang and country based producers and even then it's sonically still in line with her other albums because the dropping of country aspects has been something she's steadily done over the course of her career, it was a smooth transition.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this at all, but when compared to TPAB I just can't take anyone serious who says 1989 definitely should have won over TPAB.

Maybe thing you like isn't as good as you think it is and other people like other thing more.

Personally I don't care for Taylor Swift's music, and I made it about 4 songs into To Pimp a Butterfly before turning it off. If you ask me, that Neon Indian album was the best thing I listened to all year.

Cyan

Banned
Dumb question: who picks the winners? Is there a particular voting body like the Academy for movies? How many people are involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom