• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon is the only company that can succeed with a Streaming game service.

While a bunch of companies are testing or rumored to be working on game streaming services, only Verizon has the name, the connections, the speed, and infrastructure to actually succeed.

Some may have forgotten but for 2 months Verizon was testing their cloud gaming service and the gaming media has brushed it off ever since. But it's still being worked on.

Here are the reasons why Verizon is the only company that can make a successful stream-only platform:

1. Verizon has a huge digital and Fiber infrastructure with few close to them. Heck Fiber is a thing they have been dealing with for their TV and computer connections for over 10 years. Making Google's look like garbage.

2. Verizon has worked with gaming devs on tools, communication, and network infrastructure. Also many gaming company sponsored ads and deal codes in the past.

3. They have so many studios and partnerships, creating gaming content and studios will come easy. They already have massive content in musiv, TV, and movies.

4. Verizon has an insane amount of cash and has tower partners across most of the world.

5. VERIZON IS AN ISP. THEY CAN LITERALLY GIVE AN INCENTIVE TO JOIN THEIR SERVICE HY REMOVING DATA CAPS BECAUSE THEY CONTROL THEIR OWN NETWORK. ALSO THEY HAVE ONE OF THE FASTEST NETWORK FOR A COMMUNICATION COMPANY WITH BEARLY NO LAG, HIGH DOWNLOAD, AND HIGH UPLOAD.

VERIZON IS ACTUALLY, someone people should be paying attention to. Not to mention when Verizon announces a new service or product they go all out on partners, features, and content to try and make it succeed. They don't go to conferences with no info and nothing even started yet.

Rumor is we may hear more info on "Verizon Gaming" shortly. Maybe even as a counter to Google's lag infested, no content before unvealo g service.

I see we all are still drinking that streaming thread kool aid.

I’ll stick with traditional hardware. As I’m not interested in subscribing to a service. Even if they still charge per game.

Last edited:

zenspider

This is a really interesting possibility, but I feel like Verizon is one of those brands like Time Warner or other monopolies-by-district that comsumers have a very dicey relationship with.

But then again, I felt this way when Microsoft first entered the ring (and people with Google today), so what do I know.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
While a bunch of companies are testing or rumored to be working on game streaming services, only Verizon has the name, the connections, the speed, and infrastructure to actually succeed.

Some may have forgotten but for 2 months Verizon was testing their cloud gaming service and the gaming media has brushed it off ever since. But it's still being worked on.

Here are the reasons why Verizon is the only company that can make a successful stream-only platform:

1. Verizon has a huge digital and Fiber infrastructure with few close to them. Heck Fiber is a thing they have been dealing with for their TV and computer connections for over 10 years. Making Google's look like garbage.

2. Verizon has worked with gaming devs on tools, communication, and network infrastructure. Also many gaming company sponsored ads and deal codes in the past.

3. They have so many studios and partnerships, creating gaming content and studios will come easy. They already have massive content in musiv, TV, and movies.

4. Verizon has an insane amount of cash and has tower partners across most of the world.

5. VERIZON IS AN ISP. THEY CAN LITERALLY GIVE AN INCENTIVE TO JOIN THEIR SERVICE HY REMOVING DATA CAPS BECAUSE THEY CONTROL THEIR OWN NETWORK. ALSO THEY HAVE ONE OF THE FASTEST NETWORK FOR A COMMUNICATION COMPANY WITH BEARLY NO LAG, HIGH DOWNLOAD, AND HIGH UPLOAD.

VERIZON IS ACTUALLY, someone people should be paying attention to. Not to mention when Verizon announces a new service or product they go all out on partners, features, and content to try and make it succeed. They don't go to conferences with no info and nothing even started yet.

Rumor is we may hear more info on "Verizon Gaming" shortly. Maybe even as a counter to Google's lag infested, no content before unvealo g service.

And forego all that non-net neutrality goodness they cooked up with Ajit Pai? Not a chance. I believe they'd have a worse chance than Google at this point. If for no other reason is that they are generally considered evil at this point. Google is monopolizing but I don't think believe people think their evil. Verizon is the EA of cell phone and cable industry. Xfinity coming in at a close 2nd place akin to Activision.

juliotendo

Do you work for Verizon?

My responses to each below:

1. Verizon does own a huge portion of internet backbone, but you don’t need to own the network to use it. On the other hand, streaming requires huge investment in the servers, software and people. Verizon has the network piece down, but they don't have cloud infrastructure and experience anywhere close to Amazon, Microsoft or Google. They would have to build this out, which takes several years or purchase services from one of the 3 previously mentioned.

2. All cloud providers I mentioned have tons of experience with tools, communication and network infrastructure. Verizon is not unique in this regard.

3. I don't agree. Actually, when it comes to content production and ownership Verizon has very little to speak, especially when it comes to video games. They bought AOL and Yahoo, but from a content perspective these companies don't have video game studios. Verizon could've purchased one of the huge media companies sold over the past few years, which would've at least given them properties to make video games out of, but they have too much debt (see #4). Comcast purchased NBC Universal, AT&T purchased Time Warner and Disney won the mother-load when they purchased 20th Century Fox. Verizon will be just as reliant on 3rd parties as Google is.

4. Verizon has a huge amount of debt - $103 billion in fact. This is because Verizon Wireless used to be owned half by Verizon and half by Vadafone. In 2013, Verizon bought Vadafone part of the company for $130 billion mainly by issuing debt. Don't get me wrong, Verizon as a company has the resources to build out a cloud platform, hire very expensive IT staff and developers and build out gaming studios, but it's not like they are sitting on mountain of cash they they will just steamroll the competition with. Also, the amount of investment required might not make business sense.

5. True, but Ajizz Pot won't be FCC commissioner forever. Government is constantly changing and with that net neutrality might come back.

Currently streaming from my pc to work is a fun way to pass the time but my work circuit is cable where as my home is fiber. The cables fluctuates based on usage. Then there are all the hops in between. For the most part the latency is noticeable but pretty bearable. Playing something like re2 is doable. Granted headshots are a little harder to pull off.

Now Googles servers and bandwidth will trump most private setups like mine but I don’t see myself making streaming a primary way to play. It’s fun in a pinch but certainly not my primary choice.

Top Bottom