• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vermont’s Black Leaders: We Were ‘Invisible’ to Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if we could have discussions without hyperbole.

The status quo was continued by the current administration as in a neoliberal capitalist oligarchy with its prison industrial complex, a lack of commitment to sustainable clean energy, its unjust drug laws, its extrajudicial murder of foreigners, its mass surveillance of everybody, continuing Guantanamo, bombing other countries, a watered down healthcare solution, a lack of police reform, non-regulation of Wall Street, and on and on.

I know, I'm asking a lot, especially from someone facing insane people on the righ t (GOP) but people need to start to understand that it's okay to realize that Obama administration could have been better, much better. They still managed to do some good (Iran deal, COP21, ACA) but the drone strikes and mass surveillance and economic policy are especially up for criticism.

Anyway we are steering of course from the thread: it's about Sanders and his lack of acknowledging racial issues based on testimonies from Vermont.

Again, maybe I'm the only one who actually remembers what Obama campaigned on. Obama campaigned on leaving Iraq _AND_ "surging" in Afganistan. Obama campaigned on a health care plan that was to the RIGHT of Hillary's. Obama campaigned on CONTINUING the Bush Tax Cuts for those under $250,000. Obama never promised to end the drug war, to become an isolationist, or anything like that. Obama never promised to end drone strikes. You've kind of got him on the NSA, but frankly, nobody outside of Reddit gives a shit about the NSA, so criticizing him on that is fine, but is pointless.

Leftists projected that upon him, probably partly because he was a black Senator from Chicago. But, Obama never promised intense leftward swing. He ran on hope and change, but not a revolution.

CDX

Back in 2006,

[...]

Sanders “was just really dismissive of anything that had to do with race and racism, saying that they didn’t have anything to do with the issues of income inequality,” Reed told The Daily Beast.

“He just always kept coming back to income inequality as a response, as if talking about income inequality would somehow make issues of racism go away.”

So for 10 years now, he's been basically giving a similar response.

Source

I'm shocked that either candidate hasn't used his Vermont Senator record more (for or against). I was curious about his record with minorities in his state since he comes out saying that he's pro-civil/minority rights. He deeds would have backed it up. So what do you all think?

Also in the article:

(A spokesperson for the Sanders campaign did not respond to an emailed question about what Sanders specifically had done for the African-American community of Vermont.)

If Hilary opens that can of worms it only brings up talk of superpredators and hard on crime which is not a good look for her.

I don't think Republicans will care about him unless he gathers steam in more diverse states. I bet that 4th highest incarceration stat finds it's way into ads against him should he seem to have a better chance of being the nominee.

andthebeatgoeson

ACA was a he'll of a game changer for a lot of folks
We've been trying to pass it for 80 years. Now people hand wave it and think it'll happen again. We need to, at least, get 80% of states to accept the Medicare expansion. Or, get past the imminent threat of the Supreme Court makeup being changed. They have passed a repeal law 40 times.

Tesseract

Banned
bernie must chat more with black leaders, thinkers, workers, destitute. be honest, be heartful, don't disrespect the voices of blacklivesmatter.

there's a derth of wisdom among black leaders in vermont, sanders needs to meet and listen. these things are possible at rapid pace. we have the internet and unbelievable optical powers, it's fucking cooler than star trek.

if he's truly grassroots, he'll embrace diversity.

or hillary wins.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As Senator his job isn't dealing with the innerworkings of the state but legislating at the US Capitol for things his state needs, wants, and voting for things that he feels will benefit his state and country.

Should he have looked into the incarceration rates of VA? Yes, especially when he was a US Rep.

I would generally say that looking at Bernie's record as Mayor of Burlington, Vermont in 1981-1989, an executive role in charge of an actual city in Vermont.

What's confounding to me is why the sudden shift in black incarcerations. I can't find a graph before 1993 annoyingly enough.

UMayDls.png

I'm also wondering what caused the Asian upshift. That is the weirdest trend in the graph besides the ridiculous growth of the Black line, the Asian line looks like some Gaming Side graph abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom