• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Final Fantasy 16 PS5 Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The version tested was 1.000.002.

In combat frame rate mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1728x972 and the lowest resolution found being 1344x756. During combat the resolution seems to often be 1344x756 in frame rate mode. Outside of combat, frame rate mode renders at 1920x1080.

Graphics mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3072x1728 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. The resolution seems to often be below 3072x1728 in graphics mode.

Both modes appear to be using FSR 1 to upscale the image to 3840x2160. The UI is rendered at 3840x2160 in both modes.

Frame rate mode switches to the rendering setup used by graphics mode for the high quality real-time cutscenes. An example of these high quality real-time cutscenes can be seen at 4:27.

Graphics mode has improved shadow quality compared to frame rate mode.

PlatformsPS5 Frame Rate ModePS5 Graphics Mode
Frame Amounts
Game Frames4259725331
Video Frames5099750997
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames00
Lowest Torn Line--
Frame Height21602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time19.95ms33.55ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time66.67ms66.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms50ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate50.12fps29.8fps
Median Frame Rate51fps30fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps30fps
Minimum Frame Rate23fps17fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate35fps30fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate31fps22fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms34274 (80.46%)0 (0%)
33.33ms8248 (19.36%)25015 (98.75%)
50ms73 (0.17%)297 (1.17%)
66.67ms2 (0%)19 (0.08%)
Not including cutscene at 4:27 which is capped at 30fps in Frame Rate Mode

ReBurn

Gold Member
Shame about the performance mode. Maybe they can patch it enough to at least have it stay within the VRR window.

Shifty1897

Quality mode seems to be rock solid based on the averages but 17 frames minimum? Anyone know which part of the game that was?
During
the Dhalmekian siege of Rosaria
my game was routinely dropping lots of frames in graphics mode. Which, I get it, a lot was happening on screen, lotta smoke and particle effects, lotta enemies on screen all while scripted events are altering level geometry. But yeah, it does hurt to know we're gonna need a new console generation to get this game running at a locked 60fps at a good resolution.

Maybe a pro PS5 model can get us to a locked 30fps and a more slightly more stable 60 though.

Last edited:
Terrible performance and dire IQ. This is like a late crossgen game where the last gen system is struggling to keep its head above the water but instead it's a current gen game half way through the console's life.

Jedi Survivor was rightly mauled for its performance and I guess at least in this game graphics mode is ok but playing an action game at 30fps is not my idea of fun. Maybe that is why they made the difficulty so easy?

Outside of the hideouts which are tiny separate zones most of the "populated" areas (if you can call 10 npcs populated) also drop below 30fps in graphics mode but not the end of the world I guess.

killatopak

UkO9Oi4.jpg

An action game at 30fps is unacceptable.
Combat is largely at 60 fps with rare drops in the Performance mode.

You don't need locked 60 fps when walking around the world and looking at cutscenes.

It's nice they made the cutscenes look the same with both Performance and Quality modes, that was the right decision.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Shame about the performance mode. Maybe they can patch it enough to at least have it stay within the VRR window.

Spider-man does frames doubling on its own so overcoming VRR window limit is doable, I'm just not sure how hard it's to implement. Sounds fairly simple but I know from my very limited experience in programming sometimes things that sound easy are the hardest to implement :messenger_tongue:

But anyway, 40 fps mode would be perfect for this game.

Last edited:
There is a reason everyone says to use quality mode. The image quality in performance mode is awful.
That's a load of shit, you'll be too busy fighting to be counting pixels. I don't even notice the resolution drop during a fight because I'm way too busy pounding the shit out of anything that looks hostile, the only time you really notice the resolution drop is if you're riding the chocobo in the open areas and some enemies aggro as you pass, then since you're actually looking at the world you'll see the difference. But during a fight? Maybe if you equip all the game journalist accessories and Press Square for Awesome you can idly look at the resolution, but if you're actually playing the game during a fight, you won't notice. I'm 37 hours into this first playthrough and I do not give the tiniest shit about the resolution during the combat, but I do like that it's 60 fps and the controls are much more responsive.

Almost 70 hours clocked, Performance mode all the way. I've experimented multiple times with Quality and it's an ugly, blurry mess. I envy those who suffer from a brain disorder (relax, I tease) and play in this mode because they can't tell the difference, I'll stick to the imperfect Performance mode for solid 60 FPS where it counts most: the combat.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

There is a reason everyone says to use quality mode. The image quality in performance mode is awful.
BS.. this kinda hyperbole is just misleading.

I agree the game would do well with a patch, but in performance mode, in combat, its a solid locked 60fps, outside combat, in performance mode, I really don't see why we need it to remain at 60. If anything my issue with it then is that it's inconsistent. But saying the image quality is awful? Is just BS... These kinda double standards irk me. No one should ever say anything about the IQ in games like these if games ik TOTK gets a pass.

If how this game looks in performance mode is considered awful? Then TOTK ( or any switch game for that matter) should have a class action filed against it.

Must be the worst performing AAA game this gen?
Yup.. I am out... this thread just reminds me why I have stayed away from FF6 threads since the game's release.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
These kinda double standards irk me. No one should ever say anything about the IQ in games like these if games ik TOTK gets a pass.

If how this game looks in performance mode is considered awful? Then TOTK ( or any switch game for that matter) should have a class action filed against it.
This whataboutism is senseless. Furthermore, TOTK doesn't get a pass at all. It's rightfully called out for the poor image quality and performance problems. The major difference is the fact that it's running on a 6 years old hybrid portable system, whereas FF XVI is running on a modern home console with an 8K label on the box.

Different expectations.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
BS.. this kinda hyperbole is just misleading.

I agree the game would do well with a patch, but in performance mode, in combat, its a solid locked 60fps, outside combat, in performance mode, I really don't see why we need it to remain at 60. If anything my issue with it then is that it's inconsistent. But saying the image quality is awful? Is just BS... These kinda double standards irk me. No one should ever say anything about the IQ in games like these if games ik TOTK gets a pass.

Yup.. I am out... this thread just reminds me why I have stayed away from FF6 threads since the game's release.

The game can still be great, which it is. I'm really enjoying it.

Calling out its piss poor performance is ok as its reality and this is a thread about performance.

The 60fps mode shouldn't even exist.

If it upsets you and winds you up I would suggest you put the threads on ignore.

Luipadre

Quality mode seems to be rock solid based on the averages but 17 frames minimum? Anyone know which part of the game that was?

Probably the first eikon fight. There was 1 point where it dropped hard for like 1 sec but thats all. I've been playing in quality for 24 hours and its rock solid 30

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nah, not even close. Jedi Survivor, Gotham Knights, TLOU Part I on PC (although powerful hardware can overcome this).
When that poster said that ...after Jedi Survivor and Gotham Knights....

All that does is help me to never take their opinion serious, ever.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When that poster said that ...after Jedi Survivor and Gotham Knights....

All that does is help me to never take their opinion serious, ever.

I'll check out jedi survivors framerate now. Does it drop to 23 fps in the 60 fps mode?

This is a huge playstation exclusive. It's just poor performance.

Rykan

If it upsets you and winds you up I would suggest you put the threads on ignore.
What kind of stupid take is this? If you don't like it, don't use it. It's an action game, and it runs locked in combat, which is where it matters. Yes, it's disappointing that the framerate isn't stable outside of combat, but to advocate for its removal, when it is completely and entirely optional, is ridiculous.

Mr.Phoenix

This whataboutism is senseless. Furthermore, TOTK doesn't get a pass at all. It's rightfully called out for the poor image quality and performance problems. The major difference is the fact that it's running on a 6 years old hybrid portable system, whereas FF XVI is running on a modern home console with an 8K label on the box.

Different expectations.
Please, this makes no sense whatsoever. Doesnt matter what ind hardware a game is running on, it's not like they are the same game. I get expectations are different, but again..its not like its the same game running on two different platforms.
The game can still be great, which it is. I'm really enjoying it.

Calling out its piss poor performance is ok as its reality and this is a thread about performance.

I have absolutely no qualms about calling out anything.I have done the very same thing myself or his game.

What I have an issue with is the extreme or exaggerated nature most people here tend to talk. It's so far removed that it becomes borderline misleading.

I have seen many games that look awful. FF16 in performance mode.. does not look awful.Its never even ever as bad as SWJS. Does it look softer when it drops to 720p? Is the extreme nature of its DRS a weird design choice? Absolutely. But to say it looks awful.. is not true. And is its performance in the 60fps mode all over the place? Yes, but even at that, you can see what they did. Its mostly stable in combat and messed up out of it. These are things I have said too. But to say... worst performing AAA game? Is also false.

And I would take this performance mode in this game, knowing it could at least get improved, than no performance mode at all. Its like people forget how messed up the performance mode was in HZFW, locked 60... but that was something that was almost unusable due to the high-frequency shimmering. And this is so why stuff like this gets to me, when a game comes without a performance mode, we get on their back, there are people, like me that would say stuff like hey I don't care, even if it's running at 1080p, give us a performance mode, then when they do.. people like you say it's the worst-performing game? At least they gave a performance mode. And that it has a astable 30fps mode, in addition to that, makes it a better built and performing game to me than any game that does not at least come with both modes.

And this irks me because the one place I usually hope to at least find objective and reasonable posters.. is in the tech threads.

I'll check out jedi survivors framerate now. Does it drop to 23 fps in the 60 fps mode?

Ok.. you are just spreading fud...

someone reading your post would assume that its dropping to 23fps in 60fps mode 50-80% of the time you pay it. Whereas this is a drop you may see once in a 15min bs fight.

But honestly I think you gave yourself away by calling this the worst-performing AAA game.

It seems like devs hit a wall with these consoles way sooner than i expected them too
That's not what this is about at all....

Some common sense can be used here.

All you have to do is ask a simple question, Are there games, running on this console, that look and perform better than this? If the answer to that is yes, then that tells you that the problem is not the console being tapped... it's the devs. And more importantly, its the time. It may be three years in, but people seem to not realize that what we are seeing now, are actually first-generation current-gen games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Please, this makes no sense whatsoever. Doesnt matter what ind hardware a game is running on, it's not like they are the same game. I get expectations are different, but again..its not like its the same game running on two different platforms.

I have absolutely no qualms about calling out anything.I have done the very same thing myself or his game.

What I have an issue with is the extreme or exaggerated nature most people here tend to talk. It's so far removed that it becomes borderline misleading.

I have seen many games that look awful. FF16 in performance mode.. does not look awful.Its never even ever as bad as SWJS. Does it look softer when it drops to 720p? Is the extreme nature of its DRS a weird design choice? Absolutely. But to say it looks awful.. is not true. And is its performance in the 60fps mode all over the place? Yes, but even at that, you can see what they did. Its mostly stable in combat and messed up out of it. These are things I have said too. But to say... worst performing AAA game? Is also false.

And I would take this performance mode in this game, knowing it could at least get improved, than no performance mode at all. Its like people forget how messed up the performance mode was in HZFW, locked 60... but that was something that was almost unusable due to the high-frequency shimmering. And this is so why stuff like this gets to me, when a game comes without a performance mode, we get on their back, there are people, like me that would say stuff like hey I don't care, even if it's running at 1080p, give us a performance mode, then when they do.. people like you say it's the worst-performing game? At least they gave a performance mode. And that it has a astable 30fps mode, in addition to that, makes it a better built and performing game to me than any game that does not at least come with both modes.

And this irks me because the one place I usually hope to at least find objective and reasonable posters.. is in the tech threads.

Ok.. you are just spreading fud...

someone reading your post would assume that its dropping to 23fps in 60fps mode 50-80% of the time you pay it. Whereas this is a drop you may see once in a 15min bs fight.

But honestly I think you gave yourself away by calling this the worst-performing AAA game.

Games awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing jedi survivor and to me it doesn't drop frames as much as this game but since changing to quality mode on ff xvi I've had no issues.

I genuinely belive this Is up there and could be argued that it is the worst performing AAA release in performance mode and definitely worst performing console exclusive? Am I incorrect here?

Agree the image quality doesn't look as bad as jedi survivor but that game has raytracing and I'm sure the 60 fps mode doesn't drop out of vrr range on xbox.

If I am wrong then just let me know and I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Games awesome. I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing jedi survivor and to me it doesn't drop frames as much as this game but since changing to quality mode on ff xvi I've had no issues.

I genuinely belive this Is up there and could be argued that it is the worst performing AAA release in performance mode and definitely worst performing console exclusive? Am I incorrect here?

Agree the image quality doesn't look as bad as jedi survivor but that game has raytracing and I'm sure the 60 fps mode doesn't drop out of vrr range on xbox.

If I am wrong then just let me know and I'll check it out.

Redfall seems worse to me IMO.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This is your earlier post:

Must be the worst performing AAA game this gen?

So now its moved from AAA game to huge playstation exclusive....

But, please continue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom