• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Final Fantasy 16 PS5 Frame Rate Test

sendit

The game looks and runs amazing in quality mode. Definitely the way to go imo.
I disagree. Even with the fluctuating FPS out of combat in performance mode, the experience is still ultimately a lot more smooth than graphic mode. Graphic mode is a blur feast.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

One requires precise aiming to hit enemies, and one has auto lock. The one the requires precise aiming needs 60 FPS more than the one that has auto lock.

I don’t really care for either of these games but I’ve played fallout and it was slow as shit….starfield seems more of the same. 🤷‍♂️

Killer8

It plays surprisingly fine in quality mode at 30fps, even for an action game. Playing on a C1 OLED with ALLM is extremely responsive. I think people are still hung up on the days of 30fps automatically feeling like soup, when it just isn't necessarily the case. RE4 remake for example feels noticeably worse at 50-60fps to me because of its horrific input lag. There is a couple of minutes of adjustment playing FFXVI at 30fps if you are immediately coming from a 60fps or 120fps game, but then... that's it.

TheAssist

Yeah I really like the game, but the performance is just bad unfortunately. Its all over the place, frame drops all the time and quality mode just doesnt feels as good and is blurry as hell. Fortunately combat runs fine. Crazy to think the game has to run in 1080p to even get close to 60 fps and often not even manage it. I mean it looks amazing in the high quality cutscenes, but during normal gameplay its just "good". I mean nothing we havent seen on the last gen of consoles imho. Maybe there should be an option to turn of the raytracing they use, this might tank the performance. But if they dont have an alternative rendering solution in place than that wouldnt be an easy fix.

Again, I really really like the game (maybe apart from the side quests), but it seems the FF7R team was correct in choosing Unreal Engine for their project, especially seeing how that needs to scale over different games and console generations. I thinks the PS5 version of remake looks and runs better than FF16, though they do not have such open areas. Will be interesting to see how Rebirth handles those.

Yeah I really like the game, but the performance is just bad unfortunately. Its all over the place, frame drops all the time and quality mode just doesnt feels as good and is blurry as hell. Fortunately combat runs fine. Crazy to think the game has to run in 1080p to even get close to 60 fps and often not even manage it. I mean it looks amazing in the high quality cutscenes, but during normal gameplay its just "good". I mean nothing we havent seen on the last gen of consoles imho. Maybe there should be an option to turn of the raytracing they use, this might tank the performance. But if they dont have an alternative rendering solution in place than that wouldnt be an easy fix.

Again, I really really like the game (maybe apart from the side quests), but it seems the FF7R team was correct in choosing Unreal Engine for their project, especially seeing how that needs to scale over different games and console generations. I thinks the PS5 version of remake looks and runs better than FF16, though they do not have such open areas. Will be interesting to see how Rebirth handles those.
Runs better at 60fps yes. Looks better? Not even close.

Top Bottom