• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Neil Druckmann says new Naughty Dog title could ‘redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming’

Hudo

They've already done it once.

63dc5bd674dc7.jpeg

It's a joke.

Ev9uj1P.jpeg

Cmon give us your true vision bro.
this thread is awesome, lmao.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
“There’s a growing appreciation for gaming that transcends all age groups, unlike when I was growing up. This shift is highlighted by our venture into television with The Last of Us, which I hoped would bridge the gap between gamers and non-gamers.

“The show’s success has spotlighted gaming, illustrating the rich, immersive experiences it offers. This visibility excites me not only for our current project but for the broader potential of gaming to captivate a global audience.
“I’m eager to see how this new game resonates, especially following the success of The Last of Us, as it could redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming.”
Put down the pitchforks, folks. Knowing how to read is important.
He means he hopes or thinks it will change how people who are not gamers see games and gaming.

Not that I expected to see Naughty Dog at the upcoming Playstation event, but I think there is zero chance now. Druckmann wouldn't have said anything if they were preparing to show something

But I am excited for whatever this is though. Sony greenlighting new IP's for their two best studios(ND, SSM) has me hyped, especially for Corey Barlog's next game. He's been talking about it since GOW2018 came out, and it's been in pre-production since 2019

Last edited:
  • Transcends all age groups (young and middle-aged is current gaming audience, so this includes older adults now)
  • mentions the TV show again
  • redefine mainstream perceptions (non-gamer perceptions) of gaming
  • broader potential (blue ocean)
Could be a much more story based project with less "gamey" combat intended for gamers and non-gamers. Definitely a new IP.
Just make a movie fuckman.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It'll be a new project. You can't say stuff like this and then announce a sequel, I'd be very disappointed.

“Many companies would insist on sticking to profitable franchises, but SIE’s culture and philosophy empower us to pursue new ideas. Art requires risk; You can’t engineer perfectly and predict how successful it will be. I’m incredibly thankful that SIE trusts us to leverage our past successes to explore brand new creative avenues.”
TLOU2 Re-remake confirmed

Markio128

Gold Member
I’m guessing ND’s new game will be released at the backend of the PS5 life, so maybe 2026? I wouldn’t mind if they threw us a frikkin’ bone though and at least showed off some early concept stuff.

near

Gold Member
There's no way all the millions upon millions wasted on that stupid GaaS idea won't get rolled into another TLOU game. There might well be another 'new' concept that'll be a very small fry game compared to a third installment of Last Of Us.
You're not wrong, I don't doubt for a second that they'll release TLoU3 at some point. But considering he stated early this year that they just had a concept for TLoU3, it'll be at least 3-4 years before we'd see that materialise.

TLOU2 Re-remake confirmed
The fucking remake factory of studios! So annoying! Uncharted remake of remasters incoming.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I’m guessing ND’s new game will be released at the backend of the PS5 life, so maybe 2026? I wouldn’t mind if they threw us a frikkin’ bone though and at least showed off some early concept stuff.
One new game per generation for any studio is ridiculous... sony should demand more or the reasons for owning a new console are diminishing every new gen. I really dont think Im buying the Ps6 at launch if things continues this way. For the first time since the ps2.

• Transcends all age groups (young and middle-aged is current gaming audience, so this includes older adults now)
Could be a much more story based project with less "gamey" combat intended for gamers and non-gamers. Definitely a new IP.

Sounds like "hellblade 2" hold up to walk "game" they are making. Its all about a large userbase and dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator, give or take 5 years phone games will have more gameplay than aaa titles.

Getting fucking tired of all these devs trying to seek validation from the mainstream who laugh at this hobby. Their perception of gaming as a sad pathetic hobby for lazy fat sweaty virgins is never going to change so why bother? Stop with pretentious, movie games shit and focus on creating games with fun gameplay like Redfall.

Last edited:

splattered

More story less game.. "Last Hell of Blade Us". A totally original Mobile Broadway Television Movie Cinematic Cuck Simulator Game(sorta) thing. Sweet cant wait.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sounds like "hellblade 2" hold up to walk "game" they are making. Its all about a large userbase and dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator, give or take 5 years phone games will have more gameplay than aaa titles.
New IP is the main thing I want from any Sony studio right now, so I'll definitely be looking to see how this goes, especially if its an unconventional game design. Hellblade 2 definitely convinced me it can work, but Quantic Dream was already doing stuff somewhat similar prior to that. Especially as someone that hasn't been into Naughty Dog stuff as much lately, might get me to try it if it's shorter. If they're doing a small game and a big game, that's literally exactly what I've been asking for. Go experimental on the small one and try something weird.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Yeah, so it sounds definitive that there will be a new IP before The Last of Us 3. And that's a good thing!

CLW

Meh I’ll wait for the remaster 6 months later ND has lost a TON of good will with tlou2 story being a big swing and miss and the failed online service game.

midnightAI

Yeah, so it sounds definitive that there will be a new IP before The Last of Us 3. And that's a good thing!
It is indeed, and I especially liked this part of the interview...
“Many companies would insist on sticking to profitable franchises, but SIE’s culture and philosophy empower us to pursue new ideas. Art requires risk; You can’t engineer perfectly and predict how successful it will be. I’m incredibly thankful that SIE trusts us to leverage our past successes to explore brand new creative avenues.”
If that is company wide then it does kinda go against everyone thinking that Sony/PlayStation is only playing it 'safe' and if there are lots of sequels its more to do with the individual studios wanting to do that rather than Sony itself, which lets the studios choose, or so it seems at least (although if there is a hit I'm sure Sony themselves would discuss a sequel if they see it as a potential franchise going forward)

Last edited:

ZehDon

Hard not to chuckle. Gaming makes more money than virtually every other entertainment medium combined, and features a level of attachment movie company executives would murder their own children for. Everyone knows its icons, and every plays them - be it on your phone, your PC, or your console. Gaming is the mainstream. That a Game Dev can still roll this narrative screams "I wanna be Hollywood" because you'd have to exclide literally everything except Naughty Dog's brand of over-produced cinematic games. What a silly thing to say.

Is it even good for the industry to lure in people who just want to watch TV-shows? Especially seeing the mediocre stories Druckmann came up with for Part 2...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
At this point in time, betting against Druckman/Naughty Dog is like betting against James Cameron, you'll only end up making a fool of yourself

makaveli60

On the one hand, people seem a bit unfair in bashing them for not releasing a new game since TLoU2. These type of games a take lot of time, especially if you are constantly developing games that are always cutting edge technical wise. But on the other hand, yes, they (and Sony especially) should finally show the real reason why we bought their nextgen console. It was definitely not for neverending crossgen games, at least for me.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
This was peak Gaf.

In fact most topics regarding Neil are like that lmao
I don't think he deserves it to be honest, it's become a bit harsh. My theory here is that there is a correlation in the ever growing Druckmann hate and Naughty Dog’s persistent remasters/remakes. There is a solution for this. :p

Top Bottom