• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

oti

Banned
Now wait a second...

BBN6agLCQAAES9B.png:large

MS better not be using all that RAM for DVR features that few people will actually use.

There's nothing in the leak about it being a DVR. And I remember years ago when people whined about Netflix being added to consoles. "People don't want to watch movies on their video game console. It'll detract from the games!" How'd that work out? If Durango's cable tuner interface is as useless as TVii turned out to be, then yeah it'll be an afterthought (or a no thought) for most people.

Ding-Ding

A very interesting post by former MS bod bkilian over at B3D.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1697443&postcount=449

I thought it was interesting considering how many of us are concerned about how the xbox is moving forward. Here is a taster...
At the start of the XBox and XBox 360 projects, you had J Allard, Peter Moore, and Robbie Bach setting those features and budgets. Budgets that were considered "strategic" (Meaning losses were irrelevant as long as marketshare was gained). Now you have Mark Whitten, Ben Kilgore and David Treadwell. All good people, but none of them visionaries. Working with a company directive that IEB must now be, and remain, profitable. And _grow_ profit from year to year.

Alright Sherlock, we won't speculate anymore.

Sony > MS, Orbis > Durango. We will get Kinect shoved down or throats, and there won't even be a traditional like controller.

Hell they are probably planning for no games post 2014, it's all a smoke screen.

That's the wrong context. The thing is, to me there is no need to speculate if Microsoft is putting emphasis on more things than gaming or not, because it was very clear on their plans in the leaked document and also on everything we know about the hardware.

Of course there will be games, but even Proelite agrees with me that sacrifices/compromises will be made by a company that threats everything as a number one priority.

Violater

I want to see what MS' teams have been working on. Most of the teams have been idle for 2+ years. I also want to know more about the new studios, hell a name for some of them would be great

It would at least put some pressure on Sony to show their goods.

Reallink

Yeah. Am from the UK where the internet-TV services seem pretty strong (basically BBC iplayer dragged them along); but am never sure how good it is elsewhere.

Still. I think if this was as achievable as some think then I'd be able to do it with my Cable Provider already...who is also my Internet provider. Who you'd expect to be able to create the system more than someone just making a box.

Much better would be to download on home wireless to your phone/tablet and then be able to look at the content outside the home.

We'll see what comes, am not too excited for any of it though. I just don't see what MS can bring to the market no one else can.

This isn't some pie in the sky future tech, the hardware and functionality is already working and for sell right now. That something is the Slingbox 350 (or 500), it's nothing but a little HDMI passthrough box you place between any cable/sat box. It steams any live TV or recording to a webplayer (for your PC/Mac) or an Android/iOS/WinPhone app. Viewing isn't limited to your home network, it works to your 3G/4G mobile, or any other land line broadband connection. Dish Network also has the functionality built into their new Hopper DVR (Cnet's real Best of CES winner). Implementation into a console would just be about bringing the technology mainstream at an effectively lower price point (as it does more than just stream TV content).

Violater

How depressing.

Companies want profit is depressing news?

I think MS is actually in the best position of the 3, they have learnt from their hardware mistakes (which by the way they handled brilliantly).
They have the software expertise so their devkits should be even better for developers to work with.
Kinect is a hit in certain circles and they seem to be adding this tech into their box as the key piece that separates them from the other 2 consoles.
The xbox brand has a very reliable user base.
I think if they expand on what they have been doing while gaining some exclusive titles they will be just fine.
Key thing is they built their DNA in just 2 product cycles and it is working for them, now it's time to reap the profits.

Sony on the other hand as much as I love their products and first party software, they still don't seem to know what they are about. They want to think that people are still willing to pay a premium for quality and this will be enough to bank profits but keep failing in this regard.

spisho

Neo Member
Further I don't understand why posters are not pleasant surprised that one of the aims of data move could lead to a cache miss dropping from 300+ GPU cycles to 10-20. As ERP put it hiding 10-20 cycles is easy compared to 300. That type of efficiency seems very impressive to me.

He was mentioning this as a hypothetical, and the important part here is having latency similar to CPU L2 cache, not some data move awesome-sauce. 3dilettante mentions later in the thread that L1 cache hits on previous GPUs were typically 100+ cycles.

I doubt this is a thing basically.

szaromir

Banned
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=449

I thought it was interesting considering how many of us are concerned about how the xbox is moving forward. Here is a taster...
I don't think Sony or Nintendo are any different. In fact, hardware profitability has been Nintendo's absolute priority for many years now. Given the shaky state of Sony, I don't think they're willing to sink money with every PS4 sold either.

As for executives not being visionaries anymore, you could argue the same about Yamauchi vs Iwata and Kutaragi vs Hirai...

Proelite

I don't think the Xbox / Xbox 360 strategy is suistainable. Better to release weaker consoles that make you profits than release loss leading consoles that gets your division shut down.

The question remains is how weak are these new consoles.

Jonsoncao

Banned
2005, ps3 was said to have double the flops of 360 but devs and other insiders said it was super efficient, but people on here said it sounded like crap and then started to call it xbox 1.5 after KenK made his comment.

Cell was double the flops of 360 cpu, while the GPU is not.

FWIW, I am listing the raw peak data here:

PS3
CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS
Total: 630.8 GFLOPS

360:
CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
GPU: 240 GFLOPS
Total: 355.2 GFLOPS

The gap is bigger than that of PS4/720.

coldfoot

Banned
Cell was double the flops of 360 cpu, while the GPU is not.

FWIW, I am listing the raw peak data here:

PS3
CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS
Total: 630.8 GFLOPS

360:
CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
GPU: 240 GFLOPS
Total: 355.2 GFLOPS

The gap is bigger than that of PS4/720.

Can't really compare the flops of RSX vs. Xenos as RSX was a non-unified design and it was impossible to reach those flops. PS4/720 have pretty much the same basic shader block, which is good news for developers and makes the flops comparison a bit more grounded.

Also we all know that Nvidia FLOPS are like horsepower ratings of 60's muscle cars.

Ardenyal

I don't think Sony or Nintendo are any different. In fact, hardware profitability has been Nintendo's absolute priority for many years now. Given the shaky state of Sony, I don't think they're willing to sink money with every PS4 sold either.

As for executives not being visionaries anymore, you could argue the same about Yamauchi vs Iwata and Kutaragi vs Hirai...

Difference is that MS is willing monetize anything and everything. Ads, Premium peer 2 peer online gaming, basic services locked behind paywall... Greed is not a good look on anyone.

meta4

Yeah nothing too shocking about this. You could say the equivalent Allard at Sony was Ken Kutaragi and he got his ass booted. I would imagine its the same environment at Sony, maybe even more so considering their financial position.

Yeah. Sad to see the father of an iconic brand in gaming go like this. If it were not for his insistence Sony would not have got into this business in the first place. Wonder what he is doing now..

Ding-Ding

Yes you certainly could argue that but it just feels that the policy shift has been running longer and deeper at MS.

Thing is, the console I was playing 06/07 feels very different than the 360 today (not in a good way). The investment into 2nd party devs of high calibre all but disappeared. Forcing many to sell out to the likes of EA (yet MS didn't bid).

Hell, one of them even fired a parting shot at MS. Martyn Chudley of Bizarre Creations said "were getting disillusioned with Microsoft and they were getting corporate and cocky"

It just doesn't feed me with confidence

I understand that BC can be a nice feature but not sure why it is so important. If it didn't have BC I would just keep my 360 plugged in too.

Or is there another reason people want BC so bad?

Space and convenience basically. I'd rather have one device which works for both platforms. Also, my entertainment center only has so much room.

also not having to worry about what to do if your old console dies on you.

Yeah. Sad to see the father of an iconic brand in gaming go like this. If it were not for his insistence Sony would not have got into this business in the first place. Wonder what he is doing now..

I dont feel the same way about a next gen playstation console like the past three which ken was at the helm.

Ken defined playstation and was destined to lead sony corp. A true firbrand viisionary

whereas That bootlicker stringer ugh......

szaromir

Banned
That's quite blunt. I think the most interesting part of it was the mention of "strategic" spending on Xbox/360, and how that is now over.
You really expected them to post $1B losses per year in the first 2 years after Xbox 3's launch? Of course that strategic spending would be over.

pr0cs

Yes you certainly could argue that but it just feels that the policy shift has been running longer and deeper at MS.

Thing is, the console I was playing 06/07 feels very different than the 360 today (not in a good way).
This is my biggest worry for the nextbox.
Their platform feels so different than it used to. Since X06 the device never felt the same. I think it was just a changing of the guard but with the continual shut-down of their 1st party studios and reliance on 3rd parties to fill in the gaps in terms of software I'm concerned that the next xbox will be more of the same.
Which is why all the talk on hardware specs seems pretty pointless when we really don't know what direction they're going with software.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1697443&postcount=449

No surprises there, any business needs to be self-sustainable in order to survive over long term, that's not limited to Microsoft. Limitations are not necessarily bad, they breed creativity.

Sure it's sad, but it's also inevitable. Kutaragi is symbolic of the Sony of old - a company that was completely baffled by the internet. I'd much rather Sony focus on software and services innovation rather than exotic, expensive, marginally more powerful hardware.

Teletraan1

Banned
Depends on the developer.

Itagaki, Yu Suzuki, Hideo Kojima... etc

Ilhere pretty much said both consoles are a wash. I don't know how hard that is to understand.

First party devs are the ones forced to speak PR bullshit. Unless they have freedom.

I dont agree with this statement after a generation of multiplatform devs talking pure BS about platform parity between ps360 before their games launched or that the PS3 version was on par only to find that it was not. Hiding versions pre release, sending reviewers only 360 copies of the game all while preaching parity. Excuse me if I am skeptical.

That's quite blunt. I think the most interesting part of it was the mention of "strategic" spending on Xbox/360, and how that is now over.

What's also interesting is that there were people who thought Microsoft was dropping the ball with the 360 as well. That was a part of the reason Ed Fries left, he didn't feel like they were pushing for the best hardware anymore (here's a video interview where he talks about it; by the way, I forgot how good Kikizo used to be in that regard, they have a fantastic archive of interviews).

EDIT: I think some of you might also find these very interesting: Robbie Bach and J Allard interviewed about the 360 launch and the future of the Xbox, and Kaz Hirai's interview from 2006.

THE:MILKMAN

Thinking about Durango's 8GB RAM and I remember the talk of memory chips and densities. Does anyone know how many RAM chips are expected in Durango?

Ding-Ding

Cheers for this!

5137_kutaragi.jpg

And I couldn't agree with you more. Sony started this generation very corporate like with complacency becoming its middle name. You could tell they thought "playstation" guaranteed success.

As we know though, us gamers gave them a sharp kick to the love department, which does seem to have woken them up from their comfortable snooze.

MS though, just dont seem to be getting the same message we gamers are starting to send them to wake them from their own complacency. I just have a feeling that MS are going to pay the price for that next gen and I dont feel that MS shareholders will give them any reprieve from any such failure

Avtomat

And I couldn't agree with you more. Sony started this generation very corporate like with complacency becoming its middle name. You could tell they thought "playstation" guaranteed success.

As we know though, us gamers gave them a sharp kick to the love department, which does seem to have woken them up from their comfortable snooze.

MS though, just dont seem to be getting the same message we gamers are starting to send them to wake them from their own complacency. I just have a feeling that MS are going to pay the price for that next gen and I dont feel that MS shareholders will give them any reprieve from any such failure

Why is this MS spec sheet complacent, I saw a demo of what I can only imagine will be the Kinect 2 today and it looked very impressive. If they ship that with the Xbox next it will explain the relatively anemic budget for the hardware, basically I would not call MS out till we know everything about what is being shipped and price.

Primesense demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4VtXvj4X0CE

Ding-Ding

Why is this MS spec sheet complacent, I saw a demo of what I can only imagine will be the Kinect 2 today and it looked very impressive. If they ship that with the Xbox next it will explain the relatively anemic budget for the hardware, basically I would not call MS out till we know everything about what is being shipped and price.

Primesense demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4VtXvj4X0CE

I think you are showing a very good reason why my interest in MS in the gaming sector is declining...

The term "jump in" is slowly being replaced by "run for the hills"

Top Bottom