• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

With the Xbox/CG comparisons, the CG had nothing of the scale of Halo CE, let alone Halo 2. Games busting at the seems with fancy lighting, effects, best in class AI, draw distance etc. But on the other hand, I'd say F-Zero GX was the best looking game of the gen.

Different architectures, suited for different games. This time round, the Durango and PS4 have the same architecture, just with the PS4 stronger in all areas.

So I can't see how there can be cases where the Xbox is better at something (games related) than the PS4, as anything the Durango can do, the PS4 can do better.

If the Xbox rumours are true, I still have absolutely no idea what real world difference, if any, there will be between them. I can't wait to find out.
http://youtu.be/JGLnsNPQcls?t=35s

There is a developer claimed to be familiar with both in the latest issue of edge, the quote is basically, PS4 is "slightly" more powerful than Durango, and multiplat differences will be similar to PS3/360 this gen.

Maybe this was before the PS4 moved to 8GB (although Edge was the one who broke that, and it is mentioned in this section of this article, so certainly Edge wasn't unaware) but it's still surprising. When we hear such doom and gloom towards Durango on message boards, it doesn't jive with "slightly" and PS3/360 differences". It makes me wonder what gives.

People probably shouldn't put too much stock in intentionally vague and diplomatically chosen words like "slightly". These developers have business relationships to protect, and they don't want there to be an impression that the Durango versions of their games are crappy and not worth buying.

Reiko

Banned
People probably shouldn't put too much stock in intentionally vague and diplomatically chosen words like "slightly". These developers have business relationships to protect, and they don't want there to be an impression that the Durango versions of their games are crappy and not worth buying.

If there are DF comparisons and the differences appear to be slight, will we be using the lazy devs moniker again? Or will that die with this gen?

If there are DF comparisons and the differences appear to be slight, will we be using the lazy devs moniker again? Or will that die with this gen?

The language used has already evolved, we'll see a lot more of 'lowest common denominator' and other such language if the differences are essentially negligible.

Reiko

Banned
The language used has already evolved, we'll see a lot more of 'lowest common denominator' and other such language is the differences are essentially negligible.

Lowest common denominator will always be hilarious.

360 - Because it's the weakest

"Then"

PS3 - Because it's easier to port from

there's no such things as lazy developers, just people who want to make up a reason why they should feel mad.

yeah, skyrim is broken on ps3, it's not that bethesda are lazy, it's that their software designers created a game that has a specific memory management system that doesn't cater well to the design of the ps3. It's just the way they made the engine, sucks it doesn't work as good as it should, but it has nothing to do with lazyness.

Reiko

Banned
there's no such things as lazy developers, just people who want to make up a reason why they should feel mad.

Well Gearbox was too lazy to make a competent Aliens: Colonial Marines. So they did Borderlands instead.

They do exist. But not to the extent for why console version A performs different from console version B like you stated.

Well Gearbox was too lazy to make a competent Aliens: Colonial Marines. So they did Borderlands instead.

They do exist. But not to the extent for why console version A performs different from console version B like you stated.

I wouldn't call that lazyness, they could've made a competent one, but instead they decided to abuse the system, embezzele funds, and just be wads in general.

CLEEK

Of course you get lazy developers, just like you get incompetent ones. Just like you get lazy / incompetent people in pretty much every field of work. There are many reasons why shitty games get released. Developers will always be a factor, but management incompetence, publisher incompetence, internal politics etc can also be the cause.

Drek

Depends where the first party efforts land.

If Sony's first party teams destroy all multi-plat efforts on PS4 which are then directly comparable to their X720 versions that would speak towards 3rd parties choosing not to optimize for the PS4, wouldn't it?

But then I doubt that'll happen. If there is a meaningful hardware gap everyone is going to try and find some way to make use of it because not doing so would diminish your title against the competition.

This will hold especially true with the growing role of the PC format in the core gaming market. This past generation it was easiest to target the X360 because it was the middle ground between x86 architecture and whatever the hell you'd call the PS3 (since both X360 and PS3 had limited ram pools, PowerPC CPUs, etc.). If all three systems are x86 architecture, both systems have around 6-7GB of system memory free for games, etc. it would then be easiest to code to target the middle platform (assumed to be PS4), then port up to PC and down to the lowest platform (X720, based on current speculation). It results in the smallest amount of movement and is what developers chose to do this past generation.

It isn't too different from what developers have been doing with PC releases with low, medium, high, and ultra system settings. Games are designed to be ran in the medium to high range, low significantly gimps them and ultra adds a bunch of bells and whistles but nothing that is core to the game or it's engine. The consoles define that medium to high range and will do so again, with any significant power gap just dictating which one is closer to "high" and which one is closer to "medium".

The language used has already evolved, we'll see a lot more of 'lowest common denominator' and other such language if the differences are essentially negligible.
If multiplatform games end up being designed within the confines of 1.2TFLOPS, 68GB/s memory bandwidth etc. then how would it not be the "lowest common denominator"?

These figures would indeed be the lowest common denominator of overall very similar systems. And for all we know publishers have contractual obligations for "parity."

Fortunately, first party developers don't need to work towards the confines of competitor systems.

If multiplatform games end up being designed within the confines of 1.2TFLOPS, 68GB/s memory bandwidth etc. then how would it not be the "lowest common denominator"?

These figures would indeed be the lowest common denominator of overall very similar systems. And for all we know publishers have contractual obligations for "parity."

Fortunately, first party developers don't need to work towards the confines of competitor systems.

so... this generation the ps3 was the lowest common denominator because it had less ram? This is the problem, it's all subject to which side of the fence your on.

so... this generation the ps3 was the lowest common denominator because it had less ram? This is the problem, it's all subject to which side of the fence your on.
You should note the part about very similar systems. This generation we had two systems with very different architectures, with different strengths and weaknesses. In some cases, the PS3's RAM set-up was certainly a lowest common denominator.

As far as can be said right now, this is not the case for these 8th gen systems.

With the exception of memory systems they are by and large much of muchness.

spwolf

those things are really not a problem... it is not too hard to add more textures, more effects, more poly-models.... they are already created at much higher levels and downsized to fit the game anyway.

There is a developer claimed to be familiar with both in the latest issue of edge, the quote is basically, PS4 is "slightly" more powerful than Durango, and multiplat differences will be similar to PS3/360 this gen.

Maybe this was before the PS4 moved to 8GB (although Edge was the one who broke that, and it is mentioned in this section of this article, so certainly Edge wasn't unaware) but it's still surprising. When we hear such doom and gloom towards Durango on message boards, it doesn't jive with "slightly" and PS3/360 differences". It makes me wonder what gives.

so much wishful thinking.

"the ps4 is more powerful than the next xbox"

Annoying_no_gif.gif

get over it, its annoying.

Reiko

Banned
so much wishful thinking.

"the ps4 is more powerful than the next ebox"

Annoying_no_gif.gif

get over it, its annoying.

I hope everyone is right. Even though I took a peek at the conference leak, not everything is set in stone until MS says otherwise.

If the latter happens, I expect to see huge meltdowns around GAF.

oldergamer

Of course you get lazy developers, just like you get incompetent ones. Just like you get lazy / incompetent people in pretty much every field of work. There are many reasons why shitty games get released. Developers will always be a factor, but management incompetence, publisher incompetence, internal politics etc can also be the cause.

That's a fucking stupid statement. I've been working in games for 20 years and I've never seen " lazy developers ".

CLEEK

I'm an IT project manager. Over the years, if there is always one group of individuals to over promise and under deliver, and need constant checking on progress, it's developers. I've worked with great ones who work every hour to see deadlines and milestones are met, and I've worked with ones who are technically skilled, yet pathologically lazy.

So yeah, you do get such a thing as lazy developers.

oldergamer

I'm an IT project manager. Over the years, if there is always one group of individuals to over promise and under deliver, and need constant checking on progress, it's developers. I've worked with great ones who work every hour to see deadlines and milestones are met, and I've worked with ones who are technically skilled, yet pathologically lazy.

So yeah, you do get such a thing as lazy developers.

There's a difference between being lazy, and being incompetent or incapable. Like I said, I've worked in games for 20 years and never saw ANY lazy developers. Most of that "lazy developer" crap came from this generation in relation to ports not looking as nice or running as well on ps3 compared to 360. It's a stupid disparaging remark used to hide console allegiances.

Sorc3r3r

I hope everyone is right. Even though I took a peek at the conference leak, not everything is set in stone until MS says otherwise.

If the latter happens, I expect to see huge meltdowns around GAF.

Huge meltdowns about what?
Systems parity?
We had to hope the rumors about Durango are wrong or if they are true that Microsoft specs up their box just to have 3rd party games developed without any lower common denominator to drive the whole dev process down for all.

And if some gaffer melts over this then is just a fanboy that deserves to melt. lol

Reiko

Banned
Huge meltdowns about what?
Systems parity?
We had to hope the rumors about Durango are wrong or if they are true that Microsoft specs up their box just to have 3rd party games developed without any lower common denominator to drive the whole dev process down for all.

And if some gaffer melts over this then is just a fanboy that deserves to melt. lol

Someone will meltdown over something. It's a GAF tradition. lol

meta4

Lol if anyone thinks 720 will be way weaker than PS4. They are going to be pretty close with PS4 prob having a slight edge and that is all.

Reiko

Banned

I've been PM'd by many on GAF not to share it.

The overview is that it briefly goes over info already covered in VGleaks, only difference is new GCN architecture focusing on 100% theoretical GPU efficiency.

Only briefly talks about GPU and Data Move Engines.

Does not mention CPU or audio DSP(?)

KidBeta

Lol if anyone thinks 720 will be way weaker than PS4. They are going to be pretty close with PS4 prob having a slight edge and that is all.

Im not so sure that 33% more compute and 50% more fill, along with a simpler architecture is going to only be a slight edge.

THE:MILKMAN

I've been PM'd by many on GAF not to share it.

The overview is that it briefly goes over info already covered in VGleaks, only difference is new GCN architecture focusing on 100% theoretical GPU efficiency.

Only briefly talks about GPU and Data Move Engines.

Does not mention CPU or audio DSP(?)

Are you saying you and others have a synopsis of the Durango reveal conference? A conference that doesn't even have a date yet?

No, afaik it's from the documentation for developers, maybe from the Durango conference in 2012. I guess people don't want to or can't share it because it contains information which can identify the leaker, but it doesn't even contain any major new information as far as I know (I don't have it).

Im not so sure that 33% more compute and 50% more fill, along with a simpler architecture is going to only be a slight edge.

On b3d they're talking about ESRAM maybe having 8-16 cycle latency to the GPU (according to some supposed leak) vs GDDR5 400-500 cycles. Said to be as fast as L1/L2 cache if true.

If thats true and it could be useful...maybe programmers can make it sing. That's almost two orders of magnitude difference.

If MS designed a system built around dirt cheap DDR3 and only 12 CU's that could decently compete with Orbis, I think they'd have to be thrilled.

Reiko

Banned
Well I have to say it is crazy for Microsoft to produce such thing so far in advance or at all. Bring it all on themselves....

Isn't there supposed to be another "internal" meeting?

This time everything should go as planned without it leaking.

(And by leaking, I mean a serious information breach)

its the PDF from early 2012. It highlights The graphics engine as being designed with 100% efficiency but doesn't go into great detail.

Exactly.

Pug

its the PDF from early 2012. It highlights The graphics engine as being designed with 100% efficiency but doesn't go into great detail.

Why do you say that?

I mean both PS4 and 720 specs, basically fully leaked (well, confirmed in PS4's case, TBD on Durango)

I guess maybe it took a while. I dont remember getting huge Durango leaks in earnest until about January...

Reiko

Banned
Why do you say that?

I mean both PS4 and 720 specs, basically fully leaked (well, confirmed in PS4's case, TBD on Durango)

I guess maybe it took a while. I dont remember getting huge Durango leaks in earnest until about January...

That PDF was probably obtained from Microsoft's server via SuperDaE.

I do expect some devs to give some hints on Twitter though.

Biggzy

On b3d they're talking about ESRAM maybe having 8-16 cycle latency to the GPU (according to some supposed leak) vs GDDR5 400-500 cycles. Said to be as fast as L1/L2 cache if true.

If thats true and it could be useful...maybe programmers can make it sing. That's almost two orders of magnitude difference.

The ESRAM has more uses than to just feed the GPU with sufficient bandwidth.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Speaking of the MS PDF document that cannot be seen by the public; isn't the 100% GPU efficiency thing just the AMD GNC1.0 or 2.0 architecture in the first place? Meaning that both the PS4 and Durango will have it. Unless MS decided to go with completely custom design...correct me if I'm wrong.

Reiko

Banned
Speaking of the MS PDF document that cannot be seen by the public; isn't the 100% GPU efficiency thing just the AMD GNC1.0 or 2.0 architecture in the first place? Meaning that both the PS4 and Durango will have it. Unless MS decided to go with completely custom design...correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like a standard GCN thing and not a Xbox thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

It's a feature of GCN.

THE:MILKMAN

Isn't there supposed to be another "internal" meeting?

(And by leaking, I mean a serious information breach)

Exactly.

The one that someone here found on a Microsoft website? A PDF of disclosure to their employees?

And another thing is that all leaks lead to the February 2012 London Durango meeting. Even the fact a Durango meeting happened was tweeted!

Reiko

Banned
The one that someone here found on a Microsoft website? A PDF of disclosure to their employees?

And another thing is that all leaks lead to the February 2012 London Durango meeting. Even the fact a Durango meeting happened was tweeted!

Nah.

The info in that document would have been encrypted.

Could it be that guy from Crytek that tweeted about it and then deleted it? lol

McHuj

It's a feature of GCN.

I bet the eSRAM plays a big part in the efficiency. If managed properly (and that's a huge if), it should eliminate a lot of stall cycles from the GPU when data can't be prefetched into the L2 cache or caches are blown out.

Top Bottom