• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks rumor: Durango CPU Overview

Reiko

Banned
The best thing about that rumor is the PS4 also getting a slight spec bump. So for all parties involved, this rumor would be great if true.

Yeah....no. There's no possible way that's happening if developers have been saying the gap between them is not that far apart and publishers have been saying they're both 8x-10x more powerful then the previous generation I don't see that happening at all.
The "not that far apart" statements are about incomplete launch games. Those never reach anything near the maximum performance for the system, so comparisons between them aren't comparisons of the total hardware. Games might look very similar in power even if the machines they're running on aren't.

That said, I strongly doubt the Durango only has 4GB of RAM. But if les papillons sexuels talked to an "engine architect" that guy might only be interested in the amount available to his game. So 8GB but with the rumored huge reserved amount of 3GB gets the quoted number closer to making sense.

As the console launch approaches, lunacy and hilarious "rumored specs" increase by a factor of 2.

We're now at the dual GPU stage.

Can't wait till we double back on raytracing chips and HMC!

Reiko

Banned
As the console launch approaches, lunacy and hilarious "rumored specs" increase by a factor of 2.

We had a dual CPU before with Sega Saturn. Let's go crazy again!

Hopefully the console either ends up significantly stronger or weaker than the rumors. That will make the announcement so much more fun.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Dual GPUs have micro-stutter due to the latency of transferring the image from one GPU to the GPU that is outputting the final image.

I don't want that.

Or maybe one GPU is lower specced and is only used for GPGPU? Is that a likely scenario?

(Given that I think this whole rumor is dumb. They just need to spec-bump that shit regular style. Not go crazy with the architecture.)

Proelite

Okay new updated specs since the dual apu upgrade:

68gb of ddr3, whosale from Newegg. 4GB thrown in for good will. Microsoft also saves some money on free shipping.
IBM Modified ppc7+ for BC and added in-order horsepower.
Cut down GTX titan on the second APU. TDP envelope won't allow a full sized Titan. It'll be interesting to see how developers code against both AMD and Nvidia architecture in the same box.

You guys can trust me since I will be putting my credibility on the line. We'll hear more about this in the upcoming weeks.

We had a dual CPU before with Sega Saturn. Let's go crazy again!

Why stop there? Dual APUs with additional dual GPUs with 16GB of HMC and ray tracing chips! Go for broke MS!

Hopefully the console either ends up significantly stronger or weaker than the rumors. That will make the announcement so much more fun.

The announcement would be even more amazing if the console ended up being what the rumored VGleak-esque specs said. I would subscribe for the meltdowns, it'd make the Final Fantasy XIII on 360 meltdowns look tame in comparison.

Reiko

Banned
Dual GPUs? Does anyone really believe that? C'mon sons.

Go all the way back, Jett... Before the Durango was even named.

68gb of ddr3, whosale from Newegg. 4GB thrown in for good will. Microsoft also saves some money on free shipping.
Cut down GTX titan on the second APU. TDP envelope won't allow a full sized Titan. It'll be interesting to see how developers code against both AMD and Nvidia architecture in the same box.

You guys can trust me since I will be putting my credibility on the line. We'll hear more about this in the upcoming weeks.

MS has gone next gen crazy if true. But I thought MS and Nvidia parted ways?

The 360 was very advanced at release. I don't know if we will see the same but these rumors don't seem true to me. I have nothing to base this on but the 360 released before th ps3 and they were pretty much on par this whole gen with one or the other taking the edge in certain areas. While the ps4 is great its not like the Xbox can't be more powerful. There were 3 different rumors in 2012 that pegged the Xbox significantly more powerful from different sources. I won't be surprised either way but some if you saying that the Xbox is the clear loser in specs might be disappointed. Who knows?

Dual GPUs have micro-stutter due to the latency of transferring the image from one GPU to the GPU that is outputting the final image.

I don't want that.

Or maybe one GPU is lower specced and is only used for GPGPU? Is that a likely scenario?

(Given that I think this whole rumor is dumb. They just need to spec-bump that shit regular style. Not go crazy with the architecture.)
You have the move engines for that.

If they buy double the amount of chips price will be down a lot and the console itself should only cost <$30 more.

That's not how chip prices work. MS would already be buying millions of these, basically as many as can be made, as fast as they can be made. There is no additional bulk discount they're gonna get. And this is a ~$80 chip to begin with, so now you're paying the same amount, for as many chips as you were getting before, only now you're getting half as many Xbox 720 out the other end.

Plus you've made your motherboard more than twice as complex to accommodate 2 256 bit memory buses and a new highspeed interconnect between the APUs, nearly doubled the power and cooling requirements and made the system WAY more difficult to program for because now you have 16 CPU cores, two different GPUs and 4 separate memory pools to manage. That's a fucking financial AND commercial disaster waiting to happen.

If they wanted to spend 600 MM^2 in silicon and have multiple memory buses it would have been way cheaper, way more effective and way more sensible to just have a big CPU on one die, and a big GPU on another die, each with their own memory.

In other words, it's so ridiculously unlikely that one would either have to be rather credulous or willfully ignorant to believe...
Its-happening_o_129980.gif

So 720 is now two Durango's duct taped together?

Honestly, if they wanted better performance wouldnt it be cheaper and more efficient to put in more powerful GPU and CPU...this wouldn't even make sense and would be more costly in terms of production.

Yes, I can confirm this, it's all true. However, I also heard that a quad core i5-3570K might be included in the final box, along with an additional integrated Intel GPU. And, lastest rumors are saying the OS got upped to 12GB and the thing will ship with a Window9 beta. Also, 1080p (possible upgrade to 4k for final specs) 4D kinect experience right in the box. The new Kinect will come with wireless body sensors and electronic muscle stimulators for real 4D interaction. You will feel the character's fatigue in real time.

i-Lo

Yes, I can confirm this, it's all true. However, I also heard that a quad core i5-3570K might be included in the final box, along with an additional integrated Intel GPU. And, lastest rumors are saying the OS got upped to 12GB and the thing will ship with a Window9 beta. Also, 1080p (possible upgrade to 4k for final specs) 4D kinect experience right in the box. The new Kinect will come with wireless body sensors and electronic muscle stimulators for real 4D interaction. You will feel the character's fatigue in real time.

Aww yiss the PS4 will be demolished with those specs and PCs would cower. Plus given MS desire to make it into a set top box, perhaps a reasonable upfront price with x years of subscription would mean very competitive pricing ($199+4 years contract).

Zarx

I have it from a reliable source that they have since scrapped that and instead went for 16GB of XDR2 RAM, a CELL processor with 4 PPEs and 32 SPEs at 4GHz, a 64 core Intel Xenon Phi chip with the Larrabee texture units added back with 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and a FX-8350 CPU with 64GB of DDR4 RAM.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
why spend so much on 2 APU when you can use 1 APU that has an amd GPU with 28-32 CU,32 ROP and 240 GB/s memory bandwidth and a better CPU?

kmag

There is no advantage in 2 APU's that wouldn't be outweighed by simply increasing the abilities of the base APU. You're doubling the silicon budget and while you'll get near enough a x2 performance increase in the CPU you're not getting anywhere near that GPU. It's not worth the cost either in real terms or in thermal output.

I think people are going to have to accept Microsoft have there own reasoning for their approach this gen. I wouldn't even put it down to them not being willing to bet the farm on sufficient yields of 4-bit GDDR5 chips being ready for use. All the leaked specs from MS indicate a pretty well balanced system, the memory bandwidth is more than enough feed the GPU etc.

I think they've went in with a clear plan to for a low latency highly efficient all rounder. Sony just managed to come in with a plan which gave them more performance power and suddenly the same amount of memory.

Sony either got very lucky or have exceptional planning for the GDDR5 roadmap to have opened up to the extent they can affordably pack their console with 8gb.

Of course it remains to be seen if both companies were working to the same estimated RRP.

I got burned twice for laughing at "lol Crytek 8GB" and "lol Sony 8GB GDDR5".

8gb and 68gb are a liiiiiiiitle different. Not to mention the 1000 dollar titan gpu. Thats what I mean with you're trolling. Quit it already, its not funny and no one is buying it.

GAF time machine disagrees. lol

Really those things were possible and as time went by look more likely .
Proelite post was sarcastic as hell 68 gb of ram how many ram chips do think that is lol .
Plus a cut down Titan still would be a lot of watts lol .

I have it from a reliable source that they have since scrapped that and instead went for 16GB of XDR2 RAM, a CELL processor with 4 PPEs and 32 SPEs at 4GHz, a 64 core Intel Xenon Phi chip with the Larrabee texture units added back with 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and a FX-8350 CPU with 64GB of DDR4 RAM.

It's not funny anymore.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Agreed.

It's about as likely as Sony doubling PS4 RAM to 8GB and increasing the CPU speed to 2GHz.

Shiieeeeeeeet microsoft hired Crazy ken betrayalton..

Reiko

Banned
I don't know what's more crazy, hearing crazy Sony rumors and people taking them as gospel like the CPU being clocked higher and then later disregarding another equally crazy rumor with Durango.

Then there's the thing with Durango not changing any specs at all from last year to now.

I get it, there is a vocal minority that doesn't want to see Sony being a weaker system, and same for the Durango crowd, vice versa. But seriously with those specs and 8GB GDDR5 Sony is pushing the limit already.

I don't know what's more crazy, hearing crazy Sony rumors and people taking them as gospel like the CPU being clocked higher and then later disregarding another equally crazy rumor with Durango.
Who exactly took that as gospel? The source was highly suspect, and there's been nothing else to indicate any increase in clockspeed.

Even then, tweaking clock speeds is "normal" and relatively plausible modification of hardware.

There is essentially nothing plausible or realistic about the rumors, like this most recent one, that people seem to be clinging onto in some sort of desperate attempt to make the Durango that's likely coming into the Durango they want to come.

i-Lo

Then there's the thing with Durango not changing any specs at all from last year to now.

I get it, there is a vocal minority that doesn't want to see Sony being a weaker system, and same for the Durango crowd, vice versa. But seriously with those specs and 8GB GDDR5 Sony is pushing the limit already.

And what is the equally crazy rumour that people are disregarding for Durango that is of the same magnitude as rumour of PS4's CPU being clocked at 2GHz?

Reiko

Banned
And what is the equally crazy rumour that people are disregarding for Durango that is of the same magnitude as rumour of PS4's CPU being clocked at 2GHz?

Double APU.

Who exactly took that as gospel? The source was highly suspect, and there's been nothing else to indicate any increase in clockspeed.

Even then, tweaking clock speeds is "normal" and relatively plausible modification of hardware.

There is essentially nothing plausible or realistic about the rumors, like this most recent one, that people seem to be clinging onto in some sort of desperate attempt to make the Durango that's likely coming into the Durango they want to come.

It's good to want nice things out of any new console. I see some people moving goalposts too. Suddenly 8GB was feasible and a realistic choice when Crytek said that? Even I said "it was nice to dream" to that statement and wrote it off as hot air.

Even the BF4 rumor turned out to be bullshit at first, until the info started rolling in. It is realistic to be skeptical, but we shouldn't disregard all rumors as crazy. Looking at the specs for the PS4 you can see the console hitting that 60fps target easily. Yes Proelite is joking, but there is a possibility that the guy who posted that is not. Either way his post will be easily disregarded as the others before him if the info turns out to be false.

QaaQer

Durango has full PS3 BC? Day 21 buy for me!

itsgreen

Yeah just prepare for disappointment.

There are always crazy rumours that there aren't things announced yet etc etc... past generation have proven: you will always be disappointed.

QaaQer

Yeah just prepare for disappointment.

There are always crazy rumours that there aren't things announced yet etc etc... past generation have proven: you will always be disappointed.

yup. 2011 e3 from Nintendo hammered that point home for me. Still, there are degrees of disappointment.

Perkel

Banned

Honestly i find it weird that two consoles will have same clock even when they use same cpu.

Most of durango rumors involve changing architecture of APU

Most of PS4 rumors are just upgrades.

2Ghz in ps4 cpu is rather easy to do with better cooling, making two APU in one console is not that easy.

It has nothing to do with that. 68gb of RAM and a titan class GPU isn't in the same realm of pissibility as jump from 1.7ghz to 2ghz clock.

Reiko

Banned
It has nothing to do with that. 68gb of RAM and a titan class GPU isn't in the same realm of pissibility as jump from 1.7ghz to 2ghz clock.

Okay, I get it. Proelite was joking. That other leaker could be full of shit too. But like the BF4 rumor which some quickly regarded, it actually turned out to be very real a year later.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Okay, I get it. Proelite was joking. That other leaker could be full of shit too. But like the BF4 rumor which some quickly regarded, it actually turned out to be very real a year later.

You are totally incapable of any logical discernment in the information you read from various sources, I'm surprised you think anybody holds your opinion with any weight at all.

I think most are pointing and laughing at you instead.

Top Bottom