• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: Durango Memory System Overview & Example

iceatcs

Kind of too late for that, all eyes will never be on them now since everyone is already aware of PS4. They'll all have PS4 in the back of their minds as MS reveals their product.

And we haven't see the console yet. Finally reveal console model is like reannounce. Sony is on good position to keep the minds.

Kind of too late for that, all eyes will never be on them now since everyone is already aware of PS4. They'll all have PS4 in the back of their minds as MS reveals their product.
not true.right now ms is on peoples mind since they are wondering when are they going to show their cards.they are the last ones left.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can bet your life on it that Sony will flood the internet with new information on the day that MS reveal there console. Because of that, the 720 won't have quite the impact that the PS4 had, especially if they avoid revealing specs (given that the leaks are accurate). I still think that Sony only showed just enough to get noticed and they've got even bigger guns ready for such an occasion with the biggest guns being held back for E3

Their aim won't be to beat MS in their home town but rather to stymie any advantages they had with the 360. The other regions will just take care of themselves.

not true.right now ms is on peoples mind since they are wondering when are they going to show their cards.they are the last ones left.

For some of the more dedicated ms gamers on the web? Sure. For your average person or gamers who were excited to see people finally talking next gen games? Nope.

Very few people are talking MS right now. Plenty talking about "next gen" but always in "PS4 and whatever MS ends up releasing." And on that front I think there are equal parts excitement and consternation for MS's eventual reveal. Beyond this thread, I'm just not seeing people talking MS. All that could easily change with a ton of MS marketing, but right now Sony's got the momentum for the next gen.

onQ123

Yeah I do, but we don't know how much better it will be because of that, or durango for that matter, that's why i'm talking hypothetically.

But having more threads on the fly to switch to alleviates the problem, it does not solve it. The problem is that you have latency sensitive data to process, and it takes many cycles to get it. In the event of enough threads having a cache miss (which I think becomes increasingly more likely as you have more threads sharing the same cache) you'd still take a hit... On the other hand a 32mb of "cache", that is actually almost as fast as an L2 cache to fetch data, apparently do solve the problem...

I don't think this will be as big of a problem with HSA because the code will run on the CPU & GPU so the code that needs to be low latency will be sent to the CPU with it's L2 cache & the code that needs to be run in parallel will be sent to the GPGPU.

Bolt: A C++ Template Library for HSA at AFDS 2012

Anyone know the L1, 2 and 3 sizes of the Jaguar? It says "2MB" on VG Leaks, but that seems odd considering the current APU's being sold have 4MB.

To me the display planes aspect of the Durango hardware seems like they're expecting games to be upscaled to 1080p. The three planes can be used to keep a 1080p OS window, 1080p HUD, and a lower resolution game. Durango supposedly has a pretty good scaler so combining that with a full res HUD and the difference will likely be less obvious than in games this gen.

eYCTKZ1.png

You can bet your life on it that Sony will flood the internet with new information on the day that MS reveal there console. Because of that, the 720 won't have quite the impact that the PS4 had, especially if they avoid revealing specs (given that the leaks are accurate). I still think that Sony only showed just enough to get noticed and they've got even bigger guns ready for such an occasion with the biggest guns being held back for E3

Their aim won't be to beat MS in their home town but rather to stymie any advantages they had with the 360. The other regions will just take care of themselves.
Why you sound like MS will only have one conference?
Sometimes i saw the same reply like this,but i don't think MS will throw everything in their first announcement

Why do people talk about latencies anyway,even we talk about latencies,we should think about esram first

But it seems gaffer already confirmed PS4 will easily to kill 720 so no point to discuss anymore i think.

allan-bh

In theory PS3 would crush X360. At least that's what many people spoke.

Now I think we'll see the same. I doubt that next Xbox will be far behind the PS4.

Forcing higher API means easier,not harder
But their should be some reason to forcing higher API,like big difference between dev kit and retail console

Higher level APIs generally mean easier to get up and running, but harder to extract max performance from.

You could compare a tricycle to a bicycle and say that is easier too. But when you want to go fast, that extra wheel that seemed so nice before, is just it is going to slow you down

Piggus

Now I think we'll see the same. I doubt that next Xbox will be far behind the PS4.

You won't see the same. It was a lot harder to compare 360 and PS3 since they were very different architectures, and the PS3 in particular was extremely hard to develop for. Wildly different CPUs, different memory setups, and different GPUs.

That's different now. The PS4 and Nextbox have basically the same architecture. Hell, they practically have the same components with the exception of the memory differences and the slower GPU in the Xbox. So it won't be the same scenario as before. The system with more theoretical power will have better looking/performing games since theoretical power for both systems is based around the same math and architecture. And if all the leaks are indeed true (which I see little reason not to believe them at this point), a 600 gflop gap in performance is a pretty damn big gap.

Higher level APIs generally mean easier to get up and running, but harder to extract max performance from.

You could compare a tricycle to a bicycle and say that is easier too. But when you want to go fast, that extra wheel that seemed so nice before, is just it is going to slow you down
Yeah,like 360

You won't see the same. It was a lot harder to compare 360 and PS3 since they were very different architectures, and the PS3 in particular was extremely hard to develop for. Wildly different CPUs, different memory setups, and different GPUs.

That's different now. The PS4 and Nextbox have basically the same architecture. Hell, they practically have the same components with the exception of the memory differences and the slower GPU in the Xbox. So it won't be the same scenario as before. The system with more theoretical power will have better looking/performing games since theoretical power for both systems is based around the same math and architecture. And if all the leaks are indeed true (which I see little reason not to believe them at this point), a 600 gflop gap in performance is a pretty damn big gap.
And medias(or developer) still said the PS4 is slightly powerful than 720,not big gap like we disscussing(that's why i am not sure can i trust them,or trust gaf)

Each 4 core Jaguar module shares 2MBs of L2 cache, so 4MB total in the PS4. L1 is 32KB Instruction and 32KB Data.

Do we know the speed differences for the L2 for this and other APUs?

I don't think you understand what you was replying to.
:lol Yep.
Yeah,like 360
Nope.

The 7xxx series should see some improvement if im not mistaken they have doubled the cache/constant sizes on the GPU.

It should be interesting to see what influences the low latencies Esram can have.
That's good to hear.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah I do, but we don't know how much better it will be because of that, or durango for that matter, that's why i'm talking hypothetically.

But having more threads on the fly to switch to alleviates the problem, it does not solve it. The problem is that you have latency sensitive data to process, and it takes many cycles to get it. In the event of enough threads having a cache miss (which I think becomes increasingly more likely as you have more threads sharing the same cache) you'd still take a hit... On the other hand a 32mb of "cache", that is actually almost as fast as an L2 cache to fetch data, apparently do solve the problem...

Nothing solves these problems, in a general case sense. These are just tools in a box, all of them 'just' alleviate the problem in different senses. It's true that memory closer to the processor is reducing latency rather than 'just' hiding it, but whether this matters to a frame of computation vs one specific task of computation might be a very variable/debatable thing. And close small memory won't reduce latency for all access, so it's not an absolute solution in that sense. It is a nice tool in the box though.

iceatcs

If Nvidia wasn't lied (1.8 TFLOPS GPU lol), PS3 would crush XB360.

This time, to see if Sony/AMD lie about their 1.84 TFLOPS on PS4 specs. And we have to wait to see Durango real specs to compare. So far we got the leaks - truth or not.

If Nvidia wasn't lied (1.8 TFLOPS GPU lol), PS3 would crush XB360.

This time, to see if Sony/AMD lie about their 1.84 TFLOPS on PS4 specs. And we have to wait to see Durango real specs to compare. So far we got the leaks - truth or not.

If they lied about the 1.84, then Durango certainly doesn't have the 1.23.

Thorgal

so can we realy assume that MS is not gonna show anything for GDC and let sony hog everything for itself ?

If true then this is just free advertisement for ps4 by anouncing BF4 and have DICE praise it to the hell and back
along with all the other developers who will anounce something while MS is pushed to the background.

*puts tinfoil hat on

Their complete silence regarding anything next gen consoles in terms of hyping shit up is making me wonder if they are encountering problems or if they truly where caught with their pants down by sonys reveal

or even worse they are now in complete panic mode right now of how much their console is not ready yet or how much weaker it is and will have to be delayed till 2014 .
while sony storms into the us market unopposed.

*removes tinfoil hat.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
April 26th, iirc......

Lack of presence @ GDC *is* a lost opportunity for microsoft no matter how you spin it..

Sony will monopolize all the developer next gen praises because they will not be able to talk about xb3 officialy...

The fact microsoft doesn't consider gdc an important enough venue to talk xb3 speaks volumes....

Entertainment first, developers/gamers 2nd?

:/

The PS4 isn't even available to preorder yet. MS is probably waiting for the end of their fiscal quarter (which has the Gears Judgment launch) so they can have a very clear picture of how the 720 announcement effects the 360 business in Q4.

Xbox is confirmed for not being at GDC. There is a date supposedly in April though.

If you ask me GDC is not the place to reveal your console. Should have been this week or not. Im more excited for gdc because of the tech papers not really for the games.

And when they say other next gen consoles everybody knows they are talking about the 360.
Casual media sources if im not mistaken don't cover GDC anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Most tech threads that are next gen based will be generic and focused on leveraging multicore low power CPUs or advanced GPGPU type stuff. It's only press releases etc that'll get things like PS4 mentioned specifically.

Although Sony will hopefully try and keep itself in the spotlight as much as possible while MS are forced to sit somewhat in the background

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The PS4 isn't even available to preorder yet. MS is probably waiting for the end of their fiscal quarter (which has the Gears Judgment launch) so they can have a very clear picture of how the 720 announcement effects the 360 business in Q4.

It has its own Amazon.com section in gaming, getting close!

Thorgal

If you ask me GDC is not the place to reveal your console. Should have been this week or not. Im more excited for gdc because of the tech papers not really for the games.

And when they say other next gen consoles everybody knows they are talking about the 360.

You would at least expect something to be said even if it was the equivalent of squares

We will anounce something in april
'please be excited'

i don't know. it just seems strange that a company like MS who ordered an entire circus. MTV and the xbox love boat for their anouncement and made one of the biggest ruckuss about a game console in recent history is suddenly not giving a peep while their competition is gloryhoging all the attention and hype.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
6 or 7 years from now GDC will be irrelevant.

What % of the 70-80 million people who have purchased PS3s/360s even know what GDC is?

Answer: a very small %. Hell, most of my friends who have PS3s/360s don't even know what E3 is.

Takuya

Banned

Going to be funny if EA announces Battlefield 4 as PC, PS4 and next-gen consoles. That's the beauty of revealing early.

What % of the 70-80 million people who have purchased PS3s/360s even know what GDC is?

Answer: a very small %. Hell, most of my friends who have PS3s/360s don't even know what E3 is.

I don't think you understand what "GDC" stands for.

Game Developers Conference maybe?

antic604

Banned

Why is that? You know GDC is not only about consoles, but each year number of lectures on e.g. mobile gaming, web gaming, etc increases? Why would it suddenly become irrelevant, if it's practically the best place for devs to exchange their experiences and share the knowledge??

Why is that? You know GDC is not only about consoles, but each year number of lectures on e.g. mobile gaming, web gaming, etc increases? Why would it suddenly become irrelevant, if it's practically the best place for devs to exchange their experiences and share the knowledge??

Nonsense!

abadguy

Banned
April 26th, iirc......

Lack of presence @ GDC *is* a lost opportunity for microsoft no matter how you spin it..

Sony will monopolize all the developer next gen praises because they will not be able to talk about xb3 officialy...

The fact microsoft doesn't consider gdc an important enough venue to talk xb3 speaks volumes....

Entertainment first, developers/gamers 2nd?

:/

Have consoles been announced at GDC in the past? Cause i don't remember it happening.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Sorry, I didn't mean the conference would become irrelevant, I meant that whether or not the 720 has been revealed before, at GDC, or after GDC will be irrelevant 6-7 years from now when the new generation ends.

My comment was for those who are saying no 720 @ GDC is a "lost opportunity" for MS. It just doesn't matter at all.

THIS
It's cool that we get some info and stuff sometime but GDC is for devs to exchange ideas and learn stuff .

Why do people talk about latencies anyway,even we talk about latencies,we should think about esram first

But it seems gaffer already confirmed PS4 will easily to kill 720 so no point to discuss anymore i think.

well that's the next gen over then. MS might as well not release now :)

Being serious I think we should wait and see what they actually announce before we compare actual specs to assumed specs and draw such conclusions.

abadguy

Banned
It's not about announcing it ON the GDC, but BEFORE it so that the devs could talk about it freely, press could report on it, games being announced, etc.

Ok, but wasn't the 360 first announced mere days away from E3 in 05? I don't remember much about GDC that year, but did they talk about it there?

Tripolygon

Banned

GDC = Game Developers Conference

This is an opportunity to give developers a first look at your platform. There was a record 22,500 attendees in 2012. That is the most developers you can ever get at any given place exchanging knowledge and ideas about codes, game engines of various kinds. Havok is debuting their next gen Physics Engine at GDC and many Middleware companies so PS4 gets a mention that they support it.

Top Bottom