• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: A Plague Tale Innocence PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

I'd add the caveat that it depends on the car.

A stock 1961 beetle gonna be slow no matter what tires you throw on it.

Are you calling the PS5 slow?

While I do believe it's weaker than the XSX it isn't by a lot.

We certainly are not comparing a Ferrari to a Mini.

cars will GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Was Valhalla worse than this before the patch?

I played Valhalla with Ubisoft+ at launch on PC and there was noticeable screen tearing. That is despite having a Freesync monitor. So there was definitely some weird crap going on early with that game.

Eventually I decided to play the game on PS5 for the trophies. I've got over 240 hours in the game and never saw any tearing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I played Valhalla with Ubisoft+ at launch on PC and there was noticeable screen tearing. That is despite having a Freesync monitor. So there was definitely some weird crap going on early with that game.

Eventually I decided to play the game on PS5 for the trophies. I've got over 240 hours in the game and never saw any tearing.
Did you turn off vsync? VRR and vsync don’t work together. With VRR you will not get tearing unless the frame rate is outside of the bounds of freest can working. If you’re playing at 60fps, if it drops below like mid 40s you’ll possibly see tearing depending on your set.

Topher

Gold Member
Did you turn off vsync? VRR and vsync don’t work together. With VRR you will not get tearing unless the frame rate is outside of the bounds of freest can working. If you’re playing at 60fps, if it drops below like mid 40s you’ll possibly see tearing depending on your set.

yeah, I have it all set in the nvidia control panel. Vsync is always off. Valhalla is the only game on PC where I’ve noticed screen tearing.

Last edited:

Hoddi

yeah, I have it all set in the nvidia control panel. Vsync is always off. Valhalla is the only game on PC where I’ve noticed screen tearing.

Turning Vsync off can cause tearing even with a VRR display. I have two Gsync displays side by side where one has the Gsync module and the other is 'Gsync compatible'. Both of them will still show tearing in some games without Vsync.

If it's a 120hz+ monitor then I'd just keep it enabled. Input latency becomes much less noticeable once you surpass that even with a mouse.

Last edited:
We've had several 10+ page celebration threads when PS5 had 0.1% higher average frame rate (usually at substantially lower resolutions btw).
Yes, and the only times there seemed to be clear victories for the series X are when the "PS5" game had the console running with roughly half its GPU because it's in back compat mode (still a win, but it does not tell you much about the actual potential of the console).

I have not seen people dancing in the streets about the PS5 having a "win" with 0.1%. However, the point is that before and until release we had threads upon threads of lunacy about the SeRiEs X being 40% faster, the PS5 GPU actually being 8tf, no RT, no AI, etc. it's only fair that it's pointed out.... then it was the tools excuses, etc. truly annoying, and now you take offense that people point out that the other console "wins", a win is a win.

That being said, the situation is exactly what I predicted before the release, if there are differences it will be mostly in action heavy scene with the dynamic resolution dropping lower on one console than on the other.

The only time someone should be allowed to claim any kind of "victory" for the series X side is if a game runs on PS5 like it does on the Series S, maybe at 1080p instead of 720/900p. The rest of the time you guys, yes all of you, should be hiding in shame for the claims your group made and sometimes still make.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you’re getting screen tearing then VRR isn’t working, no if’s or buts. VRR eliminates tearing by design.

Is it?

this is an old game struggling to maintain 1440p / 60

It’s not struggling on Series X though. The tearing says it is on PS5 though.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

We've had several 10+ page celebration threads when PS5 had 0.1% higher average frame rate (usually at substantially lower resolutions btw).
We also just had a thread where one of the seemingly Xbox-only people (I refuse to use dumb-ass insult names for people who seem to only want to play games in one place) state that we shouldn't rely on screenshots to determine comparative image quality. Because their platform of choice was losing in this particular case. Hilarious.

But I'll try to explain this phenomenon pretty simply. This is from my perspective of course. I could be wrong. But, here we go. This is gonna be long.

Microsoft markets Xbox pretty clearly using their typical speeds and feeds strategy. System power. Number of games you get on GamePass for one "all inclusive" price. They know they goofed with the underpowered Xbox One, and tried to make up for that with X1X. A system that was pretty clearly better off than the PS4 Pro in terms of horsepower. Before that the OG Xbox and the 360 were generally at the top of the heap in terms of their GPU prowess. Yeah the PS3 could do great things in exclusive games, but as we all know it was tough to pull off. Multiplatform games were generally noticeably better on the 360. It's THE go to platform if you wanted the best performance.

Or it was.

The PS4 was probably the first and only time that Sony could advertise they clearly had the most powerful hardware, and it wasn't by a small amount. This, on top of their exclusives library, was kind of a killer blow to the Xbox platform, and that clearly manifested in the sales difference we saw globally for the two competitors. This had to be a crushing feeling if you were Xbox-only. I know from experience because back when N64 launched I was a die-hard Nintendo child and Sony pretty much came in and smushed them with their more flexible system, forward thinking cd-room drive, and cheap licensing structure. Developers loved the PSX. Even though to me it looked like a jank-fest. But Sony knew that software matters. And they were able to take the lead in one generation as a result.

But back to the point.

With the PS4 taking the performance lead, MS tries to fix the situation with X1X. To the many Xbox-only crowd this "righted the ship," even though there was almost nothing to exploit the system. People like to point out Gears 5 but that series is tired at this point, and of course it didn't move the needle at all. So we had another bomb on our hands so to speak. I liked the system but aside from RDR2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta (awesome game), I don't know if there was anything on it I even played.

Enter the XSX. A chance to get back to the glory days of the 360 era. MS itself is even trying to reference this period in their current marketing, without any kind of demonstrable results that indicate we are there. The power narrative pre-release was such that Microsoft has a total PS killer on its hands. The PS5 overheats. It's underpowered. The internal development studios are in disarray! Microsoft is focused. They are delivering such a beastly box that it's going to deliver 4k60 native, easily, on every title. The PS5 is struggling to hit 1080/60 on Resident Evil 8. The power gulf here is huge! This is everything the Xbox-only crowd wanted to believe as well. As I mentioned above, this is how MS markets their products to their core audience, so you have to believe it. If it's not true it means you bought into it like a fool.

Well, it ends up basically not being true. Most people who don't give a crud about the differences rightly looked at the (real, not wishful) specs of both and realized ... these systems GPUs are probably the two closest we've ever seen from competing systems. There are trade offs for both. XSX will likely see a slight advantage in many cases, but not necessarily because of the respective trade offs each system made. And, again, the real world performance is so close you are likely going to see "slight" differences.

And that's exactly what we are seeing.

A frame drop here, a resolution bump invisible to the naked eye there. And not always in favor of the same platform!

And this also does not match up with the Microsoft marketing narrative.

So, you either have to realize the story MS tried to sell us on was just not true, or you have to defend the Xbox platform to the death, to try and maintain that headspace you're in where the XSX is by far the superior platform ... dammit!

There is a clear contingent who have chosen to engage in the latter. I won't name names, as that's silly, plus I think we all know who they are. To the point where I've often wondered if they know whether MS pays bi-weekly or semi-monthly.

To reiterate, these companies approach things very differently. Microsoft is trying to sell their customers on power. "Xbox power memes" are visible on this board. They market "all you can eat" games, if you sign up to their subscription service, essentially positioning themselves as the Sizzler of gaming. Do you care what's at the salad bar? Hell no, but I can eat all I want from it! It's the best deal around! Once again, speeds and feeds. System power. A cheap service to fill up your time with whatever they have on offer. On the other side, Sony and Nintendo typically don't advertise this way. They sell the experience of the games. You want to have fun? You want to go on adventures? Play on our platform. You know what you actually want, you don't sign up for all you can eat and then see if you can find something to your liking. You would rather go to a steakhouse and pay 100 dollars for exactly the experience you want.

SO ... to answer your original point about ten page long celebration threads when PS5 had 0.1% advantage in frame rate. It's simply "pay back." Rubbing it in the faces of people who were dumping on the PS5 platform for many many months. I don't think it's clever, and certainly not needed, but that's where it stems from. They also know this royally ticks off Xbox-only people, hence why we now have thread after thread of "tiny differences only seen on spreadsheets," as I stated above, with those same xbox folks stating in all seriousness "Another clear win for xbox!" And again, for the xbox people it remains a need to convince themselves the original XSX power story remains true. Some of the Xbox contingent are still trying to argue PS5 is not RDNA2 and a bunch of heretofore untapped features are about to be unleashed on the Xbox and crush the competition! Meanwhile, the other platforms are pumping out software, while the Xbox-only crowd continues to sweat about technology. But what has proven, over and over, to "win" the generations? I think everyone knows the answer to this.

In the end it's still a war, but it's a war of stupidity because each side is essentially getting the exact same game for all intents and purposes. But sure, argue over 1820p vs. 1780p. But if that's what you're worried about, why DO you play games exactly? I'm about to start up Legend of Mana on Switch and I am just as excited to try that as I was the new Ratchet and Clank. As long as the atmosphere is there, and the gameplay is there, I simply do not care where I'm playing a game.

A small addendum. Console warring is quite silly because a console in itself is an exercise in compromise. It's a box trying to be built for as cheaply as possible so that games are easy to play and the general public can afford to do so. If you actually want real power, go get a PC. The gulf gets so massive a few years after the consoles are launched it's like seeing a couple of guys arguing about their Civics and Corollas when people are zipping around them in Lambos.

In closing, let's all just get a life. But games can be a fun part of it. Dang, that was a lot of writing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
We also just had a thread where one of the seemingly Xbox-only people (I refuse to use dumb-ass insult names for people who seem to only want to play games in one place) state that we shouldn't rely on screenshots to determine comparative image quality. Because their platform of choice was losing in this particular case. Hilarious.

But I'll try to explain this phenomenon pretty simply. This is from my perspective of course. I could be wrong. But, here we go. This is gonna be long.

Microsoft markets Xbox pretty clearly using their typical speeds and feeds strategy. System power. Number of games you get on GamePass for one "all inclusive" price. They know they goofed with the underpowered Xbox One, and tried to make up for that with X1X. A system that was pretty clearly better off than the PS4 Pro in terms of horsepower. Before that the OG Xbox and the 360 were generally at the top of the heap in terms of their GPU prowess. Yeah the PS3 could do great things in exclusive games, but as we all know it was tough to pull off. Multiplatform games were generally noticeably better on the 360. It's THE go to platform if you wanted the best performance.

Or it was.

The PS4 was probably the first and only time that Sony could advertise they clearly had the most powerful hardware, and it wasn't by a small amount. This, on top of their exclusives library, was kind of a killer blow to the Xbox platform, and that clearly manifested in the sales difference we saw globally for the two competitors. This had to be a crushing feeling if you were Xbox-only. I know from experience because back when N64 launched I was a die-hard Nintendo child and Sony pretty much came in and smushed them with their more flexible system, forward thinking cd-room drive, and cheap licensing structure. Developers loved the PSX. Even though to me it looked like a jank-fest. But Sony knew that software matters. And they were able to take the lead in one generation as a result.

But back to the point.

With the PS4 taking the performance lead, MS tries to fix the situation with X1X. To the many Xbox-only crowd this "righted the ship," even though there was almost nothing to exploit the system. People like to point out Gears 5 but that series is tired at this point, and of course it didn't move the needle at all. So we had another bomb on our hands so to speak. I liked the system but aside from RDR2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta (awesome game), I don't know if there was anything on it I even played.

Enter the XSX. A chance to get back to the glory days of the 360 era. MS itself is even trying to reference this period in their current marketing, without any kind of demonstrable results that indicate we are there. The power narrative pre-release was such that Microsoft has a total PS killer on its hands. The PS5 overheats. It's underpowered. The internal development studios are in disarray! Microsoft is focused. They are delivering such a beastly box that it's going to deliver 4k60 native, easily, on every title. The PS5 is struggling to hit 1080/60 on Resident Evil 8. The power gulf here is huge! This is everything the Xbox-only crowd wanted to believe as well. As I mentioned above, this is how MS markets their products to their core audience, so you have to believe it. If it's not true it means you bought into it like a fool.

Well, it ends up basically not being true. Most people who don't give a crud about the differences rightly looked at the (real, not wishful) specs of both and realized ... these systems GPUs are probably the two closest we've ever seen from competing systems. There are trade offs for both. XSX will likely see a slight advantage in many cases, but not necessarily because of the respective trade offs each system made. And, again, the real world performance is so close you are likely going to see "slight" differences.

A frame drop here, a resolution bump invisible to the naked eye there. And not always in favor of the same platform!

So, you either have to realize the story MS tried to sell us on was just not true, or you have to defend the Xbox platform to the death, to try and maintain that headspace you're in where the XSX is by far the superior platform ... dammit!

There is a clear contingent who have chosen to engage in the latter. I won't name names, as that's silly, plus I think we all know who they are. To the point where I've often wondered if they know whether MS pays bi-weekly or semi-monthly.

To reiterate, these companies approach things very differently. Microsoft is trying to sell their customers on power. "Xbox power memes" are visible on this board. They market "all you can eat" games, if you sign up to their subscription service, essentially positioning themselves as the Sizzler of gaming. Do you care what's at the salad bar? Hell no, but I can eat all I want from it! It's the best deal around! Once again, speeds and feeds. System power. A cheap service to fill up your time with whatever they have on offer. On the other side, Sony and Nintendo typically don't advertise this way. They sell the experience of the games. You want to have fun? You want to go on adventures? Play on our platform. You know what you actually want, you don't sign up for all you can eat and then see if you can find something to your liking. You would rather go to a steakhouse and pay 100 dollars for exactly the experience you want.

SO ... to answer your original point about ten page long celebration threads when PS5 had 0.1% advantage in frame rate. It's simply "pay back." Rubbing it in the faces of people who were dumping on the PS5 platform for many many months. I don't think it's clever, and certainly not needed, but that's where it stems from. They also know this royally ticks off Xbox-only people, hence why we now have thread after thread of "tiny differences only seen on spreadsheets," as I stated above, with those same xbox folks stating in all seriousness "Another clear win for xbox!" And again, for the xbox people it remains a need to convince themselves the original XSX power story remains true. Some of the Xbox contingent are still trying to argue PS5 is not RDNA2 and a bunch of heretofore untapped features are about to be unleashed on the Xbox and crush the competition! Meanwhile, the other platforms are pumping out software, while the Xbox-only crowd continues to sweat about technology. But what has proven, over and over, to "win" the generations? I think everyone knows the answer to this.

In the end it's still a war, but it's a war of stupidity because each side is essentially getting the exact same game for all intents and purposes. But sure, argue over 1820p vs. 1780p. But if that's what you're worried about, why DO you play games exactly? I'm about to start up Legend of Mana on Switch and I am just as excited to try that as I was the new Ratchet and Clank. As long as the atmosphere is there, and the gameplay is there, I simply do not care where I'm playing a game.

A small addendum. Console warring is quite silly because a console in itself is an exercise in compromise. It's a box trying to be built for as cheaply as possible so that games are easy to play and the general public can afford to do so. If you actually want real power, go get a PC. The gulf gets so massive a few years after the consoles are launched it's like seeing a couple of guys arguing about their Civics and Corollas when people are zipping around them in Lambos.

In closing, let's all just get a life. But games can be a fun part of it. Dang, that was a lot of writing.
The 'Xbox people' boogeymen are coming for ya, mwuhahahahaha.

Topher

Gold Member
If you’re getting screen tearing then VRR isn’t working, no if’s or buts. VRR eliminates tearing by design.

Only game that has happened with is AC: Valhalla. I noticed it right away running the built-in benchmark. It was really weird. I wondering now though if AC: V was overriding Nvidia's control panel settings somehow. No idea.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
Only game that has happened with is AC: Valhalla. I noticed it right away running the built-in benchmark. It was really weird. I wondering now though if AC: V was overriding Nvidia's control panel settings somehow. No idea.
Valhalla turns off vsync when doing the benchmark.
You can override it though by turning Vsync to 'on' in Nvidia control panel.

Or it was.

But back to the point.

So your response to those claims of 10 pages, was to respond with..... A reply of 10 pages?

To be honest, your post comes off as not much more than simple deflection.

• You say that the PS4 was more powerful than the XB1, and that it "wasn't by a small amount."
• You then say that "there was nothing to exploit" in regards to the XB1X vs PS4 Pro.
•You then say that the differences between the XB Series X and PS5 will be near non-existent with "a frame here or a resolution bump invisible to the naked eye, and not always in favor of the same console."

You finish your outpouring by saying console warring is dumb. Despite being among the largest ones here.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
'Substantially'...
We've come from a generation where first 3 years were spent damage controlling 50-100% drops in resolution as 'mostly imperceptible', and now 10-20% deltas are 'substantial' and 1% framerate wins (in either direction) are celebrated like giant accomplishments ("Easily the biggest win for Series X").

Let's call this what it is - differences are by far (substantially and then some) the smallest they've ever been in 40 years of console industry, and goal posts have moved so far that they might as well no longer be any goals to speak of.

Fredrik

I'm sure they are working on it but no idea why it's taking them so long. I don't honestly believe they abandoned VRR since they were marketing it as a feature with the PS5. Same thing goes for the expandable storage.

Maybe they update PS5 with VRR when all their TVs have VRR?
If PS5 gets it first people will buy a Samsung or LG TV instead. If Sony TVs gets it first it would be bad PR if it says ”VRR is not supported on the connected device” when people connect their PS5. Everything needs to be synced.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Xbox has the geometry engine too btw. It’s an amd thing.
Partially, partially it can be semi custom changes we will see in future GPU’s.

It is great to see XSX flex in some titles graphically, but also great to see how well PS5 is keeping up which is what people were saying was likely to happen (with some minor wins too which PS5 fans were not expecting). It is nice to see the wider than expected adoption of DualSense haptics and dynamic triggers in third party titles (but some people will not accept them until they are features available on their platform too).

The people most disappointed are those that wanted to see a specs domination and a super noisy PS4 Pro style PS5 where the dynamic clock boost strategy would bit Sony in the ass and reveal itself to be a scam supposedly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's also lower across the board than on the last-gen consoles, but hey it's 60 and that makes it much more playable.
The time where some people will admit XSS’s issues is when MS refreshes it with better specs (still far inferior to the XSX refresh for the cycle to happen again ;)).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The time where some people will admit XSS’s issues is when MS refreshes it with better specs (still far inferior to the XSX refresh for the cycle to happen again ;)).
I am not defending the XSS, it shows that it's way more crippled than it should have been. But the drop from last-gen is disappointing nonetheless...

I just woke up don't go @ me.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am not defending the XSS, it shows that it's way more crippled than it should have been. But the drop from last-gen is disappointing nonetheless...

I just woke up don't go @ me.
Sorry, did not mean to be aggressive or imply anything about what you were saying here.

Last edited:
The Series S was intended to be a compromise from the beginning. It was always going to be less powerful in order to be sold at a lower price.

I guess all the focus is understandable though. It seems as the Series X widens the gap this gen, that a more apt comparison would be between the Series S and PS5. So it makes sense.

Riky

$MSFT
No doubt. Easily the biggest win for Series X. Funny how Series X's res boost in other games never gets taken into account.

iqojJOr.jpg

Amazing really how things have changed since launch, those early comparisons didn't send the trend some claimed would last a whole generation. First the resolution side and now framerate on top with this and Doom Eternal just this week, as predicted back in November.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oddly enough in my own playing, I've noticed the screen tearing is gone after the first few chapters. The first chapter is the worst.

Vagos48

Another meaningless comparison. It's pretty obvious by now that PS5 strengths are in its IO system. The games that can benefit from this are not last gen games and certainly not multiplatform. XSX is just a PC, XSS is weak pc. So unless a game is designed to stream data in a speed that requires very fast IO system (performance and compression) then XSX is probably going to push more pixels , cause of it's beefier GPU. If a game is shipped with a minimum SSD speed requirement , it will be interesting to see that comparison.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
They just move on from a technical comparison which is what this actually is and talk about buying a PS5 without a Bluray drive cheaper or they prefer a different pad.

Seeing them call the PS5 a $400 console gives me the giggles.

Sony making less than 1/10th of the consoles digital then turning around and bending you over on digital pricing.

Seeing the desperation of them claiming a victory is rather amusing.

what i have seen recently is akin to ps3 days , the box built to make last gen look good , for library and games sake , whilst the p5 , is built for future expectations.

and still runs old games great , bf4 for instance. better than pro.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Or it was.

But back to the point.

So you had trauma or something?

BigLee74

Finished this. Pretty flawless performance on the XSX. Not bad at all for a Gamepass offering! Another game I wouldn’t have bought normally, but looking forward to the sequel now!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do xbox fans rant as much as Sony fans?

Will Sony fans ever get over the power advantage that xbox marketed their system as? Will MS fans ever get over the super fast SSD comments?

I hope we all just learn to play games and not feel the need to write a 14 paragraph diatribe about how Microsoft advertising their console as powerful and that marketing somehow abused their actual life.

Top Bottom