• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Riky

$MSFT
XSX ran at a slightly higher resolution but actually looked lower resolution in some areas because of VRS that was blurring some textures. Besides even with VRS it was only a small resolution difference advantage. Like when PS5 has the edge, it's almost always by a small margin up to 20%.

Here it's clearly a bug.

Nope.

DF said,

"Xbox Series X operates at a dynamic 1800p, while PlayStation 5 tops out at 1584p - and it is visibly blurrier"

Visibly blurrier whilst VRS is practically invisible during gameplay.

Since the X came out a year later than the Pro, a lot of enhancement patches that showed up for Pro just never materialized on X. Developers had moved on. So the One X ended up running the game at base Xbox One settings. That's true of most of the early library.
The Xbox One library consists of 2,931 games, unofficially. Microsoft's official website for X enhancements lists 1,005 games. So 66% of the games on One X are still stuck at base settings, usually 900p/30hz. And that's not taking into account the later games where developers targeted Playstation as lead platform because of it's huge install base and the One X ended up with copied settings. Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a notable example. Exact same features and resolution, but the Pro actually runs the game better.
The dark legacy of Kinect and the ways it crippled the Xbox One still haunt the Xbox brand.

Strange I played multiplatform games on my One X due to them being vastly superior to the Pro versions. I was using Digital Foundry BTW to help make my decisions.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I don’t know in the end I think the developers messed something up. The XSX isn’t 4x as powerful as the PS5 because if it was we would have seen that huge difference in every game. The PS5 should be a lot closer since they are both in the same performance tier. It’s not like the PS5 is comparable to the XSS for example.
I think he is agreeing with you.

Shmunter

Not really, the only drop with a huge resolution and higher settings was in some field on one level, it was worth having the pristine image quality and better shadows for the other 99.9% of the game.

The higher bandwith probably helped.
Also when using scoped weapons don’t forget.

DJ12

I'm not entirely convinced this is as new an engine as they are making out considering the PC version only uses Direct X 11.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not entirely convinced this is as new an engine as they are making out considering the PC version only uses Direct X 11.

It's their new engine, they didn't necessarily code it to make use of the DX12 API, which is probably one of the reasons they're planning to switch to UE5 for future games.

XSX ran at a slightly higher resolution but actually looked lower resolution in some areas because of VRS that was blurring some textures.

That's completely inaccurate.

DF "I don't notice any perceptible hit to image quality"

You can barely notice anything, if at all, in the 400% zoom screens from DF. In practice it's completely unnoticeable going by the DF commentary during the video.

Besides even with VRS it was only a small resolution difference advantage.

With VRS and a somewhat more performant GPU, there's an average difference of 1500~p versus 1800~p between them. It's almost as big of a gap between 1080p and 1440p.

Like when PS5 has the edge, it's almost always by a small margin up to 20%.

Here it's clearly a bug.

It's not a bug. It could be a many other number of factors, but probably not a bug. And it's not a matter of just increasing DRS on PS5 without some significant tweaking either. PS5 already runs the game (Lego SW) 10% worse in the 60 FPS mode going by the VGTech stats. Simply increasing resolution will make it perform even worse.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's not a bug. It could be a many other number of factors, but probably not a bug. And it's not a matter of just increasing DRS on PS5 without some significant tweaking either. PS5 already runs the game (Lego SW) 10% worse in the 60 FPS mode going by the VGTech stats. Simply increasing resolution will make it perform even worse.

Bug or not a bug, the rez is just a symptom of a larger problem in the software that needs to be fixed, I would say.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lol. Like if they were going to say otherwise. It was noticeable and others analysis said so.

I thought we'd be beyond this petty "DF are MS fanbois$$" crap in 2022, but I guess not.

VGTech:

NXGamer:

If you need a 400% zoom to even start to try and find a 2x2 pixel difference, the feature is working as intended.

NtG2i0T.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom