• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Cowboy Strikes Again! XNA Ridge Racer, Too Human XB, Need For Speed PS3 - more!

Mrbob

efralope said:
you have to admit though, that Itagaki's games haven't exactly taken off in Japan...

I think statements about the situation in Japan would be very different from a company great Japanese sales (like SquareEnix) or just decent sales (like Team Ninja)...

while the market may definitely be shrinking, if a company is still selling a ton of games there, it will no doubt be an issue for this and the next generation...

Well, Itagaki makes no quarrels about Team Ninja creating their games for the western market. And for them it is working. Look at the sales of DoA3, DoAXBV, and Ninja Gaiden. DoA3 has sold over a million worldwide. DoAXBV has sold over 500K worldwide. Ninja Gaiden is already over 500K sold worldwide. Would you want to lay your eggs in the Japan Xbox basket? I think not. Besides, like you said, Team Ninja games haven't sold poorly in Japan. Considering how poorly the Xbox is doing in Japan Team Ninja sales there are quite exceptional.

Mike Works said:
No seriously, I'd really like to know why the only team/company that could possibly make a new Ridge Racer game would be the one that the original creator works at.

Because Sega pretty much knows the RR formula better than anyone. They're also the best arcade racer company out there. So if they're going to outsource it, outsource it to the best. Other companies might be able to give you a good RR, Sega would give you the best one.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ManDudeChild said:
I've said it before and i'll say it again, it's a shame GameDaily was dragged down by the trash of GamerFeed.

The guy who writes the rumormill isn't a part of GamerFeed. He's a freelancer. NT, though.

rastex

Banned
Society said:
:rolleyes

Go play FPS after FPS.

Ignornace is bliss.

What was the most innovative game out of Japan this generation and how has it influenced the industry?

What was the most innovative game out of the West this generationt how has it influenced the industry?

What about the top 5 most influential/innovative?

Agent Dormer said:
I'm just curious as how you reasoned this out. GamerFeed was brought aboard by Gigex (who owned GameDaily) to provide editorial content, which is now syndicated to a variety of sites - Gamers.com, Lycos Gamesville, Yahoo! GamesDomain, Xbox.com. Oh, that's right sorry to get off topic, you were saying something about trash?

Popularity doesn't mean quality, look at IGN. GameDaily used to be a great site that didn't have rumors ripped off from gaming forums and news stolen from other websites. Used to be respectible.

The guy who writes the rumormill isn't a part of GamerFeed. He's a freelancer. NT, though.

Hm. Didn't know that. Strange. All the same, point stands :p

BuddyC

my god. what have i done.

sad.gif

jarrod

Banned
element said:
All of those companies you listed have full teams that make full games and all with full time employees with royalties, health insurance, taxes, and other great things. I'd say most of those already use outsourcing in the places I already mentioned for content (art & music), because it is far cheaper to hire 5 people for the price of one internal person.
Then what's the differnece in hiring 5 external Japanese versus 5 external Americans? Better art? ;)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SolidSnakex said:
I don't even know why they're so hesitant to make a new RR. It's not like RRV sold badly. It might have not done as well as other RR's but it still sold more than most racers this gen.

who says they're hesitant?

jarrod

Banned
GigaDrive said:
whew, thanks. maybe I saw this awhile back and forgot...
It's wrong, they only mentioned a new Ridge Racer release for the end of the fiscal year(nothing about PS2 or RR6). It's most likely the already announced New Ridge Racer for PSP.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I'm sick and TIRED of people here proclaiming that Japanese games are going down and games in the west are better. Pfft. Back before Sony made gaming more mainstream with the Playstation brand Japanese games WERE the video games. With more casuals/mainstreamist's in the market of course Japanese games are going to take a backseat to the Americanized, Hollywoodized cookie-cutter crap. But just like when the there was a gaming boom in the 16-bit era American game-makers came and went. I'm not saying western game makers can't make games NOR am I saying that they're not successful, but these companies (for the most part) get full of themselves and eventually end up putting themself in a hit or miss situation and then end up not mattering anymore *cough*3D0eidosAcclaim*cough*.

I really don't have a big point here, I'm just sorta sick of alot of mainstreamist morons saying that Japanese game makers are somehow "in the shaddow" of these superior western game companies...pfft...without these inferior *pioneer* Japanese companies gaming would've never been as mainstream as it is today so you casuals couldn't have enjoyed your precious GTA sequels & clones.

I would say as a gamer from BEFORE it was cool to be one I loved mainly Japanese ones, but I don't care, I like games no matter what country they come from. But in this casual driven market it's almost like as if these people are anti-Japanese games which is so sad 'cos I still think the best games come from there despite the fact that they don't sell as well as they used to.

DrGAKMAN said:
I'm sick and TIRED of people here proclaiming that Japanese games are going down and games in the west are better. Pfft. Back before Sony made gaming more mainstream with the Playstation brand Japanese games WERE the video games. With more casuals/mainstreamist's in the market of course Japanese games are going to take a backseat to the Americanized, Hollywoodized cookie-cutter crap. But just like when the there was a gaming boom in the 16-bit era American game-makers came and went. I'm not saying western game makers can't make games NOR am I saying that they're not successful, but these companies (for the most part) get full of themselves and eventually end up putting themself in a hit or miss situation and then end up not mattering anymore *cough*3D0eidosAcclaim*cough*.

EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar, etc. That's all I gotta say.

I really don't have a big point here, I'm just sorta sick of alot of mainstreamist morons saying that Japanese game makers are somehow "in the shaddow" of these superior western game companies...pfft...without these inferior *pioneer* Japanese companies gaming would've never been as mainstream as it is today so you casuals couldn't have enjoyed your precious GTA sequels & clones.

Oh STFU. The Japanese did not make video gaming popular by themselves.

I would say as a gamer from BEFORE it was cool to be one I loved mainly Japanese ones, but I don't care, I like games no matter what country they come from. But in this casual driven market it's almost like as if these people are anti-Japanese games which is so sad 'cos I still think the best games come from there despite the fact that they don't sell as well as they used to.

This board is hardly indicative of the gaming mainstream. I don't think your average gamer thinks about buying games based on what country it's produced in. They buy based on brand names and franchises, sure.

element

Give credit to Atari if you're going to start talking about 'historical' gaming. Japanese just saw something and made it better. The Japanese didn't invent video games, the US did :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ManDudeChild said:
Popularity doesn't mean quality, look at IGN. GameDaily used to be a great site that didn't have rumors ripped off from gaming forums and news stolen from other websites. Used to be respectible.

GameDAILY ALSO didn't used to have 100% free downloads, even when the download is hundreds of megs. It never had exclusive interviews, and previews and timely reviews of all the hottest games without requiring any kind of a subscription, either. No cheats, or screenshot database either. You get the idea.

We get our gaming news from press releases, same as every other gaming site on the web. On any given day I end up with at least 10 PRs in my inbox, and that's where the vast majority of our news comes from. The stuff that isn't from a PR is often info like a hiring or firing, or a cancellation, and doesn't "belong" to anyone.

I can assure you that the GameDAILY news team is trained to say within the article where their information is coming from, if it's being taken from another site, and then link to that site at the end of their article. I should know; I wrote the rules. I can think of at least a half dozen times within the past few weeks when GI.biz was sourced by us. News writers have been fired in the past for not sourcing their articles.

And regarding the rumormill, as I already said, he's freelance. Yes the article is going on our site, but it's not really fair to fault us for what he writes. Maybe not all of US like that his rumors are essentially all news we've ran up to 7 days prior, eh?

Cliffnotes: We don't steal news, and the rumormill isn't from GamerFeed's editorial team at all, so if you want to fault us, you're going to have to come up with something else.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, there ARE genuine complaints that can be leveled at GameDAILY. I'm not upset because you're faulting us. I'm upset because you're faulting us for things that simply aren't true. At least be accurate with your complaints ;)

Top Bottom