• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Demo Kiosks Nostalgia

Jubenhimer

Being an interactive medium, Video Games require a more hands-on approach to get consumer interest when they're casually browsing their local Target/Best Buy. Thus, we enter the Demo Kiosks, stations that have the hardware of the actual console and controller available for consumers to play at least a handful of games.

Did anyone ever grew up with them? I remember being a kid and begging my parents all the time to go to the electronics section, just so I can binge at one of these things. I think the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation was when demo stations were at their peak. Some stores like K-Mart, even had their own unique kiosks, separate from the official ones. I remember my local Walmart used to have their demo consoles set-up within the actual shelf of games, with Monitor positions that required giraffe necks to see comfortably.

Nowadays, demo kiosks still exist, but they aren't as ubiquitous as they used to be, mainly due to the fact that all consoles now allow you to download demo versions to your own system from their digital storefronts. If a store still does have retail demo units, it's usually the designs supplied by the platform holder. No more unique ones like K-Mart's Tri-fecta design or Walmart's Giraffe neck TV's. Even then, I still visit these demo stations every now and then when I find one, mostly for Switch. Partly out of Nostalgia, and partly because Nintendo keeps demos for most of their bigger games exclusive to these kiosks.

While I like downloading demos to my consoles, there's a certain comfort and uniqueness of actually playing a demo in-store versus at home.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I have great memories of playing Mario Land 2 on this.

post-4484-1182777666.jpg

Digity

This one grocery store my mom would goto had a Need For Speed High Stakes kiosk. Every time we went I would be glued to it. At one point I brought codes from home so I could unlock some cars lol.

Wasn't a demo but I recall the Sears in the mall had PS1 kiosk with the full version of MK3 in it. MK3 was still a somewhat fresh arcade release and the mall arcade was right outside the Sears entrance. Due to this tons of people were going to the Sears kiosk to play MK3 instead of paying for it at the arcade. It would have have fairly big lines(!) and being arcade gamers, everyone understood the winner stays on rule so things were orderly too. I can't recall how long it was till they swapped it out but it stayed for a good while. Fun times.

Last edited:
I remember playing demo kiosks for Driver (PS1), Kinetica (PS2), and MotorStorm (PS3).

So basically just driving/racing games.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I remember when Walmart had SNES, Mega Drive and N64.

They put Dreamcast, but not to play.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember a few very well. Target use to have an N64 kiosk with Ocarina of Time. This was before the game came out. I memorized the entire Deku section and always cleared that part whenever my parents took me there for groceries. I always remember that kiosk whenever I go into Target. It’s like part of the store is missing now that’s been taken out.

Another one I remember very well is NiGHTS for Saturn. This was because they had the special controller there for you to try out. A couple others I remember were Sonic at Sears. Sears also had a Virtual Boy too. Toys R Us had Sonic Adventures on Dreamcast.

Now a days I see them and I think nothing about them. My back use to hurt just thinking about crunching over to use it.

When the N64 first released, I think my local Best Buy has a huge screen (like 9 crts stacked together). It was amazing.

We had that up here too. I remember buying Star Fox 64 and Goldeneye from them. We had PSX kiosk too right below it.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I remember a Parappa demo playing at target when I was a kid. It was storming outside. The power went out but I could swear I still heard the game. Scared me. Thanks for reading my blog.

bobone

Our McDonalds had Pokemon Stadium and that thing was packed for years.

They also had Pokemon nights where kids came to trade and battle. They must have made bank during the Pokemon craze.

Paulxo87

The super Mario 64 kiosk at toys r us had legit 30 minute lines. This was my fondest memory of them. I'm 31 and have been playing videogames for 26 years

Codes 208

I remember begging my mom to take us to target when i was little. While she was doing her shopping i would stand at the n64 kiosk and play majoras mask the entire time.

Top Bottom