• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game graphics cognitive dissonance Thread

Opiate said:
I think, instead, that this shows how terribly unoptimized games are for the PC in this day and age. Games are built with the PS3/360 in mind first, and then lazily up-ported to the PC. Obviously modern PCs are perfectly capable of blowing away the PS3/360: it's just that few games care to do show it.

I suppose my objection, if I had one, would be this: I can't imagine how angry and frustrated PS3/360 gamers would be if the overwhelming popularity of the Wii had actually been capitalized upon by third parties, and as a consequence you were playing a lot of games built for the Wii and lazily up-ported to the PS3/360. I remember even the mere mention of such an idea drew enormous derision and scorn. And make no mistake: the difference between the Wii->PS3/360 in raw power is at or near the difference between PS3/360->PC in raw power now.

Look at how the lack of optimization of the PC platform is being defended in here. Let me put this explicitly: some people in here seem to take satisfaction from the lack of disparity between the PS3/360 and PC multiplatform games. This does not mean that the PC isn't more powerful: it means the PC isn't being utilized fully. For a group of people who, almost without exception, care far more about graphics than I do, it is irrational to so vociferously defend inferior graphics. If graphics are a primary concern for you, then you should be begging developers to absolutely blow away anything the PS3/360 are capable of: it's certainly possible, they just aren't doing it because not enough people are begging.

If you aren't asking developers to do this, then your loyalty really lies with Sony/Microsoft (and their respective consoles), not with gaming as a whole, or with the advancement of graphics and technology. And again, there is strong indication that many people in this thread are doing precisely that.
While you're right, last generation most games were PS2 ports, so it's still not as bad as last generation. The PS2 severely gimped a lot of games and it sucked. If the PS3 had been the dominant third party system, the PC ports would have been much worse for what it's worth. Now the PC gets so many good ports compared to last generation and console exclusives are almost limited to first party games. Sure, it would be nice if there were more games like Crysis that pushed the PC to its limits, or even if they left the more complex games on PC, and made different versions for consoles, but that would be too risky for most companies.

Kabouter

Ashes1396 said:
Gt5 {Photomode}:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1425/nrburgringnordschleife1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You know, the more I see that car, the more I think it's just not special looking enough.

Tain

EmCeeGramr said:
The problem is that half the people here assume that because PC gaming is great at one thing, then it must be equally terrible at another, and that in the interests of cosmic balance the latter quality must be superior on consoles, as though PCs are designed by a particularly resentful djinn or accursed monkey's paw. [...]

I like this post almost as much as I hate water_wendi's.

Atomski said:
fun =/= graphics

dude you just flipped my entire world over with that fresh perspective

zoukka

Two World evidently pushes a lot of stuff on screen, but holy shit those screens are busy/noisy. They either need darker shadows or less colourful sections so the eye can rest somewhere. Everything is equally detailed, which is never pleasing to look at in any medium.

Ashes

Banned
LCfiner said:
Ashes, GT5 is a great looking game but posting pre-rendered photo mode shots is not going to prove shit to anyone.

No need to get defensive... :p

Naah, I'm not being serious or adding anything to the discussion really. PC games for the win etc.. GT5, it's just a beautiful thing really. Just thought I'd share it in a thread where people appreciate visual fidelity.

Dennis

Banned
zoukka said:
Two World evidently pushes a lot of stuff on screen, but holy shit those screens are busy/noisy. They either need darker shadows or less colourful sections so the eye can rest somewhere. Everything is equally detailed, which is never pleasing to look at in any medium.
So PC games are now too colorful and busy with too much detail?

My head is spinning.

LCfiner

Ashes1396 said:
No need to get defensive... :p

Naah, I'm not being serious or adding anything to the discussion really. PC games for the win etc.. GT5, it's just a beautiful thing really. Just thought I'd share it in a thread where people appreciate visual fidelity.

I’m not getting defensive. I’m hanging in the GT5 thread right now :D

I guess we both misunderstood each other as I thought this quote from you "You mean a ps3 game is going to be playing with the big boys?” was a bit more console warrior-ish than you intended

nvm.

zoukka

DennisK4 said:

My head is spinning.

Oh sorry I guess I worded my post badly let me edit it for y... oh. No it was just your reading comprehension playing tricks on you again :)

Ashes

Banned
LCfiner said:

I guess we both misunderstood each other as I thought this quote from you "You mean a ps3 game is going to be playing with the big boys?” was a bit more console warrior-ish than you intended

nvm.

If anything I was jeering at the console warrior-ish sort etc...
I can't recall whether it was this thread or another but visually, I love stuff from wii, and x360 as well. With Art, sometimes it's the painter and/or his style as well as how many pixels you push, I guess.

edit: Yeah it was this thread....

nice! we have "GRAFX AREN'T FUN" now. Has anyone mentioned that 24 fps is cinematic and 60 looks like a soap opera yet? I'm hoping we can cover the full monochrome of stupid before this wonderful thread goes.

DennisK4 said:

My head is spinning.

you're reading that wrong, I think.

It's like that fan made Sonic game that came out recently. It is difficult to differentiate from the character, background, enemies, etc. because they're all similar. Some people messed with the image to make the background seem visibly different from the foreground. At least thats what I think the issue is. I don't have that complaint myself.

Two Worlds 2 looks really nice

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
syllogism said:
The OS bloat argument is hilariously outdated and not really supported by reality.

That fact that PC games are required to run on top of the OS doesn't help matters tbh, your losing a gig of ram at least for starters.

I would honestly prefer to run my games from a command prompt before the OS boots up, as long as I don't run out of EMS memory though, I need at least 600k :p

Narag

LCfiner said:

nvm.

My snarkiness was rewarded in kind. Blame me!

carlosp

Banned
Linkzg said:
nice! we have "GRAFX AREN'T FUN" now. Has anyone mentioned that 24 fps is cinematic and 60 looks like a soap opera yet? I'm hoping we can cover the full monochrome of stupid before this wonderful thread goes.

you're reading that wrong, I think.

It's like that fan made Sonic game that came out recently. It is difficult to differentiate from the character, background, enemies, etc. because they're all similar. Some people messed with the image to make the background seem visibly different from the foreground. At least thats what I think the issue is. I don't have that complaint myself.

Two Worlds 2 looks really nice

It was on one of the first pages i guess.

Spiegel

Someone should take Two Worlds 2 away from DennisK4. He's been getting crazier with every day he keeps playing the game and people don't recognize it's the game of forever.

jett

D-Member
LCfiner said:
I was being sarcastic, dude. I used MILLIONS…

Ashes, GT5 is a great looking game but posting pre-rendered photo mode shots is not going to prove shit to anyone.

Well people posted pictures of Crysis with unrealistic image quality that's effectively impossible to achieve in-game... :p

Unicorn

zoukka said:
Fuck man, real life is blowing my mind. So much DETAIL, Where can my weary eyes rest? Where's the nearest inn? Oh GOD

"The colors, Duke, the colors!"

"uh, I'm colorblind kid"

iam220

The Ps3 Black ops port is :lol :lol :lol

The ps3 does have some amazing looking first party games, but it gets shafted pretty bad w/ the 3rd party games. I don't think its a good trade off. Ps3's hardware is obviously quite capable and they have some very talented 1st party developers; but the games would look better had they been developed for PC.

PC's visual obviously cannot be topped by any console, especially 3-4 years into a generation. Yet, the difference in visuals is not as dramatic as it potentially can be. Due to the lack of massive budget PC exclusives.

sadaiyappan

How long do you think it will be before in game graphics look as good as those backgrounds in GT5 when you are in the menu screens?

Zzoram

syllogism said:
The OS bloat argument is hilariously outdated and not really supported by reality.

Yep. Windows 7 will use maybe 500MB RAM out of the 2GB available (if you have a low end PC) still leaving 1500MB RAM which is 3x the RAM available on consoles (actually almost 4x if you subtract what the console OS uses).

MaddenNFL64

syllogism said:

Windows 7 doesn't use the cpu until it has to. In the past, I don't think MS gave a shit & wasted resources like a mutha. With memory, 600 megs for the OS maybe? I dunno. Pretty good deal.

If I had a gaming rig, I doubt Windows 7 would be any hindrance at all. Even noticable outside of 10% of 6 gigs being cached for the OS.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Zzoram said:
Yep. Windows 7 will use maybe 500MB RAM out of the 2GB available (if you have a low end PC) still leaving 1500MB RAM which is 3x the RAM available on consoles (actually almost 4x if you subtract what the console OS uses).
The 360 OS only uses 32mb so I don't know how you jumped from 2x to 4x including the console OS.

zoukka

Unicorn said:
Fuck man, real life is blowing my mind. So much DETAIL, Where can my weary eyes rest? Where's the nearest inn? Oh GOD

Real life isn't a two dimensional slideshow. The criticism I gave is straight outta any "beginners guide to composing imaginery".

Look at this shot from Witcher 2.

The-Witcher-2-Screenshot-40.jpg

A lot of the scenery is very dark. All the important data pops out.

The-Witcher-2-Screenshot-42.jpg

And here, the scene is mostly orange tinted. It's not cluttered with all the colors of the rainbow. The shadows are DARK as they should be in direct sunlight.

This is not rocket science my friend.

Unicorn

Mr_Brit said:
The 360 OS only uses 32mb so I don't know how you jumped from 2x to 4x including the console OS.
Yeah, but how much total RAM does the 360 have? That's what he's really getting at.

syllogism

zoukka said:
Real life isn't a two dimensional slideshow. The criticism I gave is straight outta any "beginners guide to composing imaginery".

Look at this shot from Witcher 2.

A lot of the scenery is very dark. All the important data pops out.

And here, the scene is mostly orange tinted. It's not cluttered with all the colors of the rainbow. The shadows are DARK as they should be in direct sunlight.

This is not rocket science my friend.
The difference being he has actually played the game and had no issues with it. In fact, you are the very first person to even suggest that since, well, ever. Actually someone said the something similar based on some gothic 3 prerelease screenshots, which is really the keyword here. Screenshots.

zoukka

syllogism said:
The difference being he has actually played the game and had no issues with it. In fact, you are the very first person to even suggest that since, well, ever. Actually someone said the something similar based on some gothic 3 prerelease screenshots, which is really the keyword here. Screenshots.

Yes I am obviously commenting the screenshots/videos only. But that it expected in a thread like this.

syllogism

Can you give an example of another game you thought that was too busy/noisy? Honestly curious since I'm not sure I even buy that argument applies to games, especially considering you can tweak settings.

zoukka

syllogism said:
Can you give an example of another game you thought that was too busy/noisy? Honestly curious since I'm not sure I even buy that argument applies to games, especially considering you can tweak settings.

That Arma II shot that was floating around somewhere. And of course this applies to games. It affects everything from colour balance to textures. Most professional made games don't have problems with this, because well... the artists are professionals.

Here's a shot I saw just now, that feels way too cluttered for my tastes.

strongholdking.jpg

Compare the colours, values and detail to this piece of greatness...

aoeonline.jpg

Much more clearer and easier to navigate with your eyes.

Dennis

Banned
zoukka said:
I'm sure I could play it. Doesn't still mean I can't find flaws in its visuals.
There are no flaws in those visuals. You made a dumb argument and now you are stuck defending that bullcrap :lol

Your 'professional artists' argument is rambling nonsense. The artists that made Two World II, Arma 2 and Stronghold are every bit as professional as those making The Witcher 2.

zoukka

syllogism said:
Personally I find the variety refreshing and would argue reality can be too busy/noisy.

Variety is not the best word, when actually everything in Two Worlds look equally important. And yes, when you look at the shots next to Witcher 2 ones, it kinda makes them look amateurish :b

syllogism

zoukka said:
Variety is not the best word, when actually everything in Two Worlds look equally important
Yes, that's how reality works and when I said variety, I meant that not every game should aim to similar visual styles.

zoukka

DennisK4 said:
There are no flaws in those visuals. You made a dumb argument and now you are stuck defending that bullcrap.

Hey look at DennisK making aggressive claims without backing them up. You must have some sort of generator for these messages.

Your 'professional artists' argument is rambling nonsense. The artists that made Two World II, Arma 2 and Stronghold are every bit as professional as those making The Witcher 2.

I'm very interested in hearing the logic behind this :)

syllogism said:
Yes, that's how reality works and when I said variety, I meant that not every game should aim to similar visual styles.

Well these games aren't even close to representing reality in any believable ways, so they shouldn't try to achieve all things that are found in reality. I feel like I'm explaining very simple things here.

And we agree on variety between games. Everyone has their preferences though.

zoukka said:
Yes I am obviously commenting the screenshots/videos only. But that it expected in a thread like this.

Actually no I don't think that should be expected in a thread like this.

This isn't "What game has the best screenshots!?"

It is "What game is the best looking!?"

I honestly don't think you can provide a relevant opinion regarding how good a game looks if you haven't played said game. Especially if you are going to start getting into the nitty gritty about composition, etc.

syllogism

zoukka said:
Well these games aren't even close to representing reality in any believable ways, so they shouldn't try to achieve all things that are found in reality. I feel like I'm explaining very simple things here.

And we agree on variety between games. Everyone has their preferences though.
My issue was mostly that you implied that because the game decided to go for a more realistic style, the artists involved weren't "professionals". The condescending tone didn't help, considering how lightweight your posts were content wise. In the end it's not a matter where you can objectively say which style is better, especially across all the genres.

zoukka

syllogism said:
My issue was mostly that you implied that because the game decided to go for a more realistic style, the artists involved weren't "professionals". The condescending tone didn't help, considering how lightweight your posts were content wise. In the end it's not a matter where you can objectively say which style is better, especially across all the genres.

In no way I want to diss their work. It's just not appealing to me. The amount of shit they've done for that Two Worlds game is massive. I'm not hiding my preferences though and Witcher looks like it'll blow TW out of the water as where PC RPG's go.

Actually no I don't think that should be expected in a thread like this.

This isn't "What game has the best screenshots!?"

It is "What game is the best looking!?"

Obviously. But when I get replies with screenshots, I'm gonna say what I think about them.

syllogism

I'm sure Witcher 2 will be a better game and it's perhaps my most anticipated game right now, but visually Two Worlds 2 is, for the most part, really impressive and I've actually played the game.

BobsRevenge said:
The vegetation thing is an opinion though. FarCry 2's foliage is amazing to me. I love the way it looks, aside from the grass not really being textured. But the quantity of veg and how it all moves and shit is pretty jaw-dropping.

Also, it spreads fire, and destroyed foliage grows back over time :)

Ashes1396 said:

You don't need to mention it's from the photo mode, PC elitists don't display the framerate in their modded Crysis screens either ;)

btw those Witcher screens look several times better than any of the posted Two World screen *shrugs*

Top Bottom