• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game graphics cognitive dissonance Thread

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
It was ignored because the PC defense force is jealous of the budgets those console exclusives get so that they can have those luxuries. :'(

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Why was this ignored? Hopefully the PC defense force didn't turn their nose up at it.
It was ignored because it's something that was already understood by everyone here and had nothing to do with the current discussion. You probably already knew that though, though I don't know why you waited five days to post that.

Fredescu

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Why was this ignored? Hopefully the PC defense force didn't turn their nose up at it.
It's a long winded way of saying "some games have nice art, regardless of performance" and "some games look nice for reasons other than performance". It was probably ignored because those statements are self evident and not up for debate.

Threi

notag
MoonsaultSlayer said:
That quote is completely true, but also speaks to the singular platform-centric tone the beginning of this thread had. Because that same argument can be made that certain Wii games are FAR more visually appealing than games on more powerful counterparts for those exact reasons listed (Kirby Epic Yarn, DKC Returns, Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colours). Also the fact that there wasn't a clear reason specified for why God of War 3 in particular is so visually appealing. So, of course, the assumption is made that it had to be that the game was technically advanced (for the PS3) and what was appealing was that the game looks photorealistic (for the PS3). Of course, if that is the criteria, then the PC crew will come in and state that those criteria for what makes a visually appealing game is fulfilled far better on PC.

It is definitely annoying no doubt, but personally it is worth it so that people who tout the superior hardware of PS3/360 in particular and dismiss anything as less ("man why is this series continuing on handheld? It should be on PS360 instead") can at least experience how irritating and unnecessary it is, and can see the double standard they are holding. Of course not everyone is like that, GAF isn't a hivemind or divided into factions, but the bad apples ruin it for everyone else. Such is the way of the internet.

anyways why discuss anything here? Video game cognitive dissonance |OT2| is up and running! :D

Threi said:
That quote is completely true, but also speaks to the singular platform-centric tone the beginning of this thread had. Because that same argument can be made that certain Wii games are FAR more visually appealing than games on more powerful counterparts for those exact reasons listed (Kirby Epic Yarn, DKC Returns, Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colours). Also the fact that there wasn't a clear reason specified for why God of War 3 in particular is so visually appealing. So, of course, the assumption is made that it had to be that the game was technically advanced (for the PS3) and what was appealing was that the game looks photorealistic (for the PS3). Of course, if that is the criteria, then the PC crew will come in and state that those criteria for what makes a visually appealing game is fulfilled far better on PC.

It is definitely annoying no doubt, but personally it is worth it so that people who tout the superior hardware of PS3/360 in particular and dismiss anything as less ("man why is this series continuing on handheld? It should be on PS360 instead") can at least experience how irritating and unnecessary it is, and can see the double standard they are holding. Of course not everyone is like that, GAF isn't a hivemind or divided into factions, but the bad apples ruin it for everyone else. Such is the way of the internet.

anyways why discuss anything here? Video game cognitive dissonance |OT2| is up and running! :D

I actually like what you said there about handhelds/Wii and the HD console port whining. BUT it's not like GOW3 was a PC series and then became a lowly console game.

GOW2 is one of the best looking PS2 games, and GOW3 is one of the best looking games on the PS3. If anyone stated that it's photorealistic, then they're blind.

I'm just an ignorant non-PC gamer but I'm not so retarded to think a high end PC can't do so much more than current consoles. I just haven't seen a game like GOW on PC to compare it to. GOW is the ONLY game I've ever witnessed that looks like CG in many areas. especially the 2D plane Zeus battle.

To add to my ignorance towards PC games, I've always thought they felt "empty". Not meaning population but the actual characters, environemts and objects. Hollow is a better way to describe it. I can't say that about GOW3's characters or environments, however. They feel solid and seem to have a weight to them which gives it a better look.

But it's just my ignorance talking. Maybe it's the jerkiness of the mouse that leads me to think like that compared to the slow rotation of an analog stick. Maybe I'm stuck back in time thinking all PC games look like smoother versions Dreamcast games (I really do have that image a lot). Don't be offended by what i say, seriously. Just laugh (though I'm sure you didn't need to be told).

Someone linked this thread in another thread, and I'm still confused as to why so many people jumped on the OP. GoW III did look stunning at the time, and I still don't see how people said Crysis 1 looked so good. People kept linking bullshots or screenshots with mods, but I haven't seen a legit screenshot that was posted that said yup, this looks 100% better than GoW III. I'm not saying the latter looks better than Crysis, but if someone can convince me otherwise that it "shits on GoW III", then I'd be happy to eat crow.

Top Bottom