• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game graphics cognitive dissonance Thread

JADS

Persona7 said:
Why does mirrors edge on PC look so awesome? I just want to live inside that world

I imagine that NO MORE HEROES would look that clean if it was pc-only

Actually, NO MORE HEROES uses a Blur filter on the Wii version. This is noticeable when emulating the game through Dolphin.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
diglyd said:
I have no idea what game that is from but that flat texture look on that is what I am referring to whether its current gen or last gen. On a console to me a face always looked better.
Here are some faces from games that were primarily designed for consoles run on PC.

devilmaycry4_dx102010-v3to.jpg

devilmaycry4_dx102010-g4z5.jpg

bfbc2game2010-07-1512-t3g0.jpg

bfbc2game2010-07-1512-21wo.jpg

Do these really look notably flat to you?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
diglyd said:
someone want to enlighten me on what that is supposed to mean?
That your post are so insane that trolling is the only sensible explanation, for people who still want to believe in humanity, that's it.

itxaka

Defeatist
diglyd said:
No PC graphics don't suck, if you are going to quote me quote the whole thing. i said PC graphics suck to ME as in just me, not that they suck in general. I just don't like that clean PC look and if you disagree with that its ok with me but it doesn't mean I should be playing anything with a bag over my head because I choose to enjoy how it looks on a TV vs a sharp PC monitor.

The game might be accurately portraying what is actually programmed but it does not mean that it looks realistic or "life like". We have not gotten to a point where computer or CGi look believable. Almost in every move you can still tell what is fake and what is not. I was watching Harry Potter and the half Blood prince the other day and the entire bridge scene where the bad wizards make it fall into the river looked incredibly fake. Games are even worse. The only movie in recent memory where I could not tell the difference between CGI and reality was District 9. The robot fight scene at the end was very convincing, dirty and gritty and even the aliens "fit" into the environment. PC graphics have a long way to go before they will ever get to that point. On a PC everything to me look like it has a sticker painted on it instead of being 3 dimensional and that look whether its what it is supposed to be because that is the current technology or no still make is look unrealistic.

Soo....

PC = Too clean, unrealistic
Consoles = Blurry, realistic
District 9 = Awesome

diglyd

Banned
Nirolak said:
Here are some faces from games that were primarily designed for consoles run on PC.

devilmaycry4_dx102010-v3to.jpg

devilmaycry4_dx102010-g4z5.jpg

bfbc2game2010-07-1512-t3g0.jpg

bfbc2game2010-07-1512-21wo.jpg

Do these really look notably flat to you?

Not on DMC but if you look at the last pictures and look at their weapons or shoulders you can see how "angular" they look and how "clean" the weapon looks. That is t he only point I am trying to make that I just do not like that because on a PC it seems to be more "pronounced" that is all. So to me that looks "too clean" because that is what my eyes fixate on.

I mean the faces look phenomenal and the fidelity is great but it just looks too clean. In the DMC pictures that becomes apparent when you look at the neck. You can just see the angles more and the textures are more pronounced. On a console because of the limitations of it or the TV screen or whatever those difference are not so pronounced and are maybe blurred or whatever but the overall impression I get is a more pleasing image that looks less sterile.

Pimpbaa

What this thread is all about is people grasping at straws to dismiss something they can't afford. This is most common in young people. Seen this for most of my life (getting a Genesis before any of my friends was the first time I noticed this).The more silly the explanation, the younger they are. When adults do this, it is particularly sad. Due to the anonymity of the internet this is easier to do without getting called on your bullshit (lying about your age and what you own). They can say they own some powerful PC for example but it is easy to see through that when they are very technical on what supposed PC they own or do not know you can easily hook up a modern PC to a HDTV with little to no setup (there are hdmi plugs on all new video cards now). I am hoping most of the people making these ridiculous comments are teenagers, because it is more excusable (teens are generally insecure and have a very low income).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
diglyd said:
Not on DMC but if you look at the last pictures and look at their weapons or shoulders you can see how "angular" they look and how "clean" the weapon looks. That is t he only point I am trying to make that I just do not like that because on a PC it seems to be more "pronounced" that is all. So to me that looks "too clean" because that is what my eyes fixate on.

I mean the faces look phenomenal and the fidelity is great but it just looks too clean. In the DMC pictures that becomes apparent when you look at the neck. You can just see the angles more and the textures are more pronounced. On a console because of the limitations of it or the TV screen or whatever those difference are not so pronounced and are maybe blurred or whatever but the overall impression I get is a more pleasing image that looks less sterile.
Hmm, that's kind of the art style of those games though.

How about if we take something that's intentionally gritty like Gears of War?

wargame-g4wlive2010-06o3i8.jpg

szaromir

Banned
diglyd said:

Dude, look at the console screenshots, they'll look angular as well. Just connect your gaming PC to the same HDTV you have your consoles hooked up to and sit in the same place you sit when you play on consoles and you'll see this "PC games are too clean for their own good" is downright silly. If anything, higher image quality and framerates give you details that would be lost otherwise.

itxaka

Defeatist
diglyd said:

Yeah man, much better like this

360_beard.jpg.jpg

I mean, look at the hair! It looks sooo good.

Eternia

diglyd said:
Well no I switched to consoles because I like to sit on my couch with friends watching and playing my game on a projector or LCD vs sitting 50 inches from my high res PC monitor alone. PC gaming is very isolating. The other reason was that on a PC the games just look "cleaner" as we have been discussing and I just do not like that look. They also at least to me look more bland out and flat and I am specifically referring to looking at a game like Half life or Fear or Need for speed most wanted or any fps on the PC for that matter that I played... I don't know what you want to call it whether its that console graphics look blurrier or crappier I don't know but all I know that to me it looks like the image on the screen playing on a console or TV (lets say a corridor or a tunnel) has more "depth" to it and fits better into the overall environment.

if its a car the detail looks more 3D or the shading looks more "gradual" or more "dirty" "gritty" or however you want to call it. I don't know I can't really describe it well but on a PC the graphics have a distinctive edge to them where there isn't a gradual shading effect like I see in a console game and if it is there the sharpness of the texture work or the overall look makes it look "fake" to me. Things just look "clean" and "flat" to me on a PC monitor. On a console it appears that whether its by design or limitation there is more shading and more rounder edges. it appeals to me more.

Even in the early days the "arcade" look as in seeing games on an arcade cabinet like crazy taxi or MK or SF2 or Hydro Thunder etc has always looked better to me then when I would see something on the PC screen. PC was always so disinfected and sterile. I think a big part of that was the TV resolution but for whatever reason it makes games look better to me from an immersion point of view not from a resolution or quality alone point of view.

The overall whole experience when you look at an entire scene of a game made me feel better then the same scene played out on a PC monitor. If I watched a particle effect on a console like smoke it was closer to what I see on TV vs the clean and fake look I see on a PC monitor.

I know I am not doing a great job explaining this. If you look at the shitty 360/PS3 ports of Dragon's Age on console that is the best example I can use of what it looks like to me on a PC. Those graphics to me look like PC graphics on a console. Devoid of color and life and just bland. That game was designed to run on a pc and has that "PC" look to it imho.

Lets say we are describing a side of a fence like in the RE4 screenshots in this thread. The reason why PC graphics suck to me is because at the high resolution you can really tell that this fence is nothing but a polygon with a texture painted on it to look like a fence. The fence really has no depth. The texture is just a flat image shaded in a way to make it look like its 3 dimensional. On a console you can't see it that well so it gives the object more of a natural look like it actually has weight and depth. On a PC to me everything look like its just painted on with no depth to it whatsoever. This becomes really obvious if you load up an old game you thought was awesome like Quake 2 or Unreal or some last gen games.

As games improve our brains adjust and when we look at the previous gen we say "man thats ugly" yet 5 years ago it was pure awesome. Same thing if you look at pics from like GTA3. On a PC this uncanny valley is even more apparent because of the high resolution.
Console games - Use your imagination

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Willy105 said:
Oh I got a new explanation!

Imagine a low polygon landscape, like those from N64 and PS1/early Gamecube and PS2.

Now give it the highest res textures you have ever seen.

The result should be an exaggerated version of the 'PC look'.
You mean like this?

72332990.png

You mean it looks too good while still limited by its console root restrictions in, let's say, geometry and model polygon counts?

Edit: What you see here is a good old console game infected by a sterile PC environment.

DaBuddaDa

If the only thing you can come up with is that "the shoulders look too sharp," when they are barely noticeably different between PC and Console, just admit defeat and leave.

Mr_Zombie

itxaka said:
Yeah man, much better like this

* image *

I mean, look at the hair! It looks sooo good.

The subtitle expresses exactly what I've said when I saw this picture :lol
Does this really look like that on X360 (consoles)?

Sh1ner

gaf when did the thread become all jokes? I just read the last page and some of the comments have shocked me to my core. But don't worry junior, tessellation will save you from the "angular" geometry! Someone slap him with some screen shots!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
diglyd said:

No, no no no no no NO NO.

Take a step back, outside of PC 3-4ft away from face range and view them from a range that you would view a console game at. That "sharpness" is due to the proximity to the screen and your vision being better at that range at picking up fine detail than the average console to HDTV viewing distance.

For the 3rd and final time I will say this. If you look at console games on your HDTV at 6ft+ and then look at the screenshots Nirolak are posting at closer range then you ARE DOING IT WRONG. Put them on your HDTV, get to console range and notice the "angles" anb sharpness disappear. You'll be left with a better looking image both in IQ and in detail than the console versions of those games and without the points you mentioned.

I just spent an hour talking with Brain Stew and all of a sudden I feel like going further than him, ruining my argument about consistency and moderation when it comes to debate! Argh some people. Apples, oranges, STOP COMPARING THEM!!!

Dennis

Banned
diglyd said:
Not on DMC but if you look at the last pictures and look at their weapons or shoulders you can see how "angular" they look and how "clean" the weapon looks.

In the DMC pictures that becomes apparent when you look at the neck.

Sharp shoulders and necks.

Jesus Christ, this is the stuff of legends :lol

Dennis

Banned
Angular shoulders and necks are the new 'sharp knees' of video game characters.

"I so wouldn't play that. Look at those angular necks"

:lol :lol :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
"PC Look"ers are gaming's equivalent to the Amish. I bet they prefer to play games on small, SD tv's. "Get those sharp edges and nice textures out of here. That PC look is ugly."

Easy_D said:
You mean like this?

72332990.png

You mean it looks too good while still limited by its console root restrictions in, let's say, geometry and model polygon counts?

Edit: What you see here is a good old console game infected by a sterile PC environment.

can't unsee the penis on the mini-map

Pooya

This is it, from now on subHD games are superior! pff angular and sterile! why bother with HDTV then?! PS2 + SDTV! cheaper, better, no PC look, it seems that's what we deserve with these low standards! going backwards! :\

Stop It

Easy_D said:
I assume you prefer DVD's over BluRays as well?

(Serious question)
*looks at Tag*

Woah.

Anyway, I've heard people at work say that they cannot tell the difference, but thankfully, nobody has said that DVD looks better. Nobody can be that insane, I hope.

Snuggler said:
Deus Ex* is still the best computer game.

*I mean Deus Ex: Invisible War, of course
You are a bad person and you should feel bad. Not even your awesome Avatar can distract me from continuing this tira...*ooh colours weeeee*

I have to ask, if developers actually want their games to look blurry and fuzzy then why is all the released media always rendered at insane resolutions with immaculate image quality. If the blur caused by upscaling is desirable, then why not add it to promotional materials?

Oh, and once again with feeling. If you want to play PC games upscaled on a HDTV without AA/AF and an extra level of blur then nothing is preventing you from doing this. PCs support fuzzy and blurred visuals just fine you just don't see anyone touting shots like that because people generally don't try to actively ruin the visuals in the games they play, that doesn't mean you can't do that of course. You'll even get a better framerate by doing this, so go right ahead, more power to you.

Edit:

For those that prefer the fuzzy upscaled look, do you genuinely believe that the 360 shot looks better here? Because this is a genuine representation of the difference apparent in multipaltform games on a HDTV.

360_textures1.jpg.jpg

pc_textures1.jpg.jpg

Oh and incase I wasn't clear before. You can make the PC version look just as fuzzy as that console shot, in fact you can make it look even more alised, blurry and fuzzy on PC if you want to. Most people just prefer not to.

Cosmozone

PC generally lacks Japanese games and thus diversity. Don't think technical reasons make people think console games look better than PC ones, artistic reasons are. At least I think the textures used in PC games are often very similar. Could be some western game developers' "beauty standard" in the sense that there are different standards for other people like the typical console gamer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, currently this topic has turned into the video game version of the old Vinyl Record VS CD argument?

I will go on the record to say I prefer my 2D games on a pixel perfect screen rather then a CRT, but I am also one who will put on any boarder needed to keep the aspect ratio and not stretch the screen. I like my PS1 games on my PSP in that tiny box.

Kittonwy

Banned
StateofMind said:
As I said earlier, I played the console version of DA: Origins and noticed it there. I played the hell out of that game, but I still noticed (and disliked) that particular look that it had...apparently only in my mind because I hate PC. That's actually the reason I posted those pics of GTA3 and GTAIV, to show the difference maintained regardless technical progression.

DA origins is an ugly fucking game regardless of platform.

Cosmozone said:
PC generally lacks Japanese games and thus diversity. Don't think technical reasons make people think console games look better than PC ones, artistic reasons are. At least I think the textures used in PC games are often very similar. Could be some western game developers' "beauty standard" in the sense that there are different standards for other people like the typical console gamer.

My body is ready.

:lol

Cosmozone said:

no pc lacks a small subset of japanese games. just about everything made by capcom this generation, for example, has been released for pc. a lot of japanese games which aren't even released outside japan are pc only titles. and the lack of a small subset of japanese games isn't proof of a lack of diversity when there are entire genres of games that don't, and will not ever, exist on consoles.

evangd007

ZeroRay said:
You know, I signed up for this site because I thought it was smarter than your average video game forum. :lol

This IS smarter than the average video game forum. On others, nobody would call these crazy people out. They, and their opinions, would likely be held up as paragons of the community.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lasthope106 said:
My body is ready.

:lol
?

It is true to an extent, a lot of the major Japanese console developers don't put out PC version of their games. When was the last time Namco published a PC games? And you still can't get the proper Megaman 1 though 10 on the PC though official means.

Stop It

brain_stew said:
I have to ask, if developers actually want their games to look blurry and fuzzy then why is all the released media always rendered at insane resolutions with immaculate image quality. If the blur caused by upscaling is desirable, then why not add it to promotional materials?
You mean, the screenshots we have seen time and again in threads such as these when consolers try to prove their point, yet when bullshot quality PC pictures are posted, they are derided as "Too clean" or worse, "Angular" in this very thread!

I have to say I have noted a new tactic being employed in this thread that actually, if not pointed out and ridiculed, could be a defence tactic that many may seem as legitimate: "In engine" FMV.

Guys, if the "In engine" assets were able to be rendered by the console at an acceptable rate, why waste disc space by making them into videos and playing them back that way instead? I'll give you a hint, the FMV in games like UC2 and GOW 3 are not able to be rendered by the PS3 at an acceptable rate, ever.

The next person who says "Well UC2/GOW 3 uses in engine FMV so the PS3 must be able to produce it" deserves an epic slap. It is there for continuity reasons (The old PS1/PS2 style CG FMV is jarring anyway, and expensive), and is cheaper than CG, not because it is actually possible by the engine/console.

Top Bottom