• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game memes that are based on inaccuracies or misconceptions

New Telltale game announced

Someone shit-posts this in the thread
59R56mJ.jpg

Oblivious to the fact it's a mod, not a glitch.

Lebon14

Pressing "B" to continue dialogue and simultaneously select negative options has been a staple in Nintendo games since before time itself.

How do people not know this?

Because the owl actually says "Do you understand? No (negative option) Yes (positive Option)". Then, a B would say that you don't understand while, in fact (and why it is so mind blowing), it selects the other answer which is positive.

In this case, B would be more accurately described as selecting the opposite option of the default while A selects the default or input.

L Thammy

Names can skip generations though. Maybe Morton is Bowser's dad's name.

edit:
Miyamoto has actually gone back and said that they aren't Bowser's kids now, but that wasn't necessarily the case before.

It's also a reference to Morton Downey Jr. and was a name invented by Nintendo of America. The character was nameless in the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 3. No one at Nintendo was thinking about who Morton Koopa Sr. was or how he fit into Mario canon.

Dad

"Yoshi doesn't have arms!"

Yes, he does, and they're clearly visible in his walking animation.

To be fair, his original sprite in World either has stirrups or weird orange arms. It's changed in the GBA version and Super Mario Maker

Here's another good one: Ridley's artwork in the manual of the original Metroid. This is often trotted out as an example of dumb Americans replacing gorgeous Japanese artwork with ugly rubbish. Is there nothing those ignorant Westerners won't ruin?

But in reality, his artwork is exactly the same in the Japanese manual.

ridley-j.jpg
ridley-e.jpg

That was his intended look.

I never understood that artwork of Ridley, in the game he looks like a winged dragon like creature but in the artwork he has that straw head and multiple bubble eyes.

Metal B

vcksdcG.jpg

It's supposed to be awkward you dummies
Everybody, who played the game, knows this. The problem is, what it says about the protagonist of the game. Tidus is an idiot. And it is hard to see the world through his eyes and take him seriously, if you thing less of him. Especially this early in the story. Tidus alone made me hate FFX and we follow him through the complete story.

Toxi

Banned
Here's another good one: Ridley's artwork in the manual of the original Metroid. This is often trotted out as an example of dumb Americans replacing gorgeous Japanese artwork with ugly rubbish. Is there nothing those ignorant Westerners won't ruin?

But in reality, his artwork is exactly the same in the Japanese manual.

ridley-j.jpg
ridley-e.jpg

That was his intended look.
Why does Ridley look so different from his sprite anyway? Kraid and Mother Brain are much closer in appearance to their in-game sprites, but Ridley is blue instead of purple and has that bizarre head design.

I don't dislike the design, but it's really weird how different it is.

EpicBox

I don't think there is a meme connected to this aspect of Resident Evil 5, but I'd like to challenge the idea that the poor friendly AI makes the single player unbearable.

There's a very simple way around it - make the AI partner carry your ammo but don't give them a gun.

thumb

Banned
Dishonored "punishing" you for playing lethally.

It might as well be a meme at this point.

But it's true. The punishment is *minor*, but it's real:

1. More weepers appear all around the world and they try to kill you.

2. Samuel the boatman, the only non-familial friend you have in the entire game, turns against you in the last level, warning your enemies of your pending arrival.

3. Your daughter, Emily, becomes more morose and makes scary drawings because of your actions. These reflect her internal state, because she later becomes a cruel queen due to your choices.

Fisty

I don't think there is a meme connected to this aspect of Resident Evil 5, but I'd like to challenge the idea that the poor friendly AI makes the single player unbearable.

There's a very simple way around it - make the AI partner carry your ammo but don't give them a gun.

Switching the AI partner from a walking ammo dispenser to a walking ammo depository doesn't make it any less crap

Boney

Banned
Another Zelda example:

latest

Error from Zelda 2 is often cited as an example of "lol look how dumb those game designers were with their glitches and shit!" I mean, they didn't even finish his dialogue!

Except they did; Error is his name, and another guy named Bagu (Bug) refers back to him and you have to return and get an item from him.
I have no idea how this proliferated on the Internet. You reach Bagu like 2 hours in at most.

I know it was terrible screwattack videos and what not but still. How come no one gave them shit before it got popular.

But it's true. The punishment is *minor*, but it's real:

1. More weepers appear all around the world and they try to kill you.

2. Samuel the boatman, the only non-familial friend you have in the entire game, turns against you in the last level, warning your enemies of your pending arrival.

3. Your daughter, Emily, becomes more morose and makes scary drawings because of your actions. These reflect her internal state, because she later becomes a cruel queen due to your choices.

I consider those three as consequences for your choices. Punishing implies the game shoves you down with messages how much you are a bad guy for killing people (hint: it doesn't).

For god's sake, you can't have a good Dishonored discussion without someone complaining about the chaos system

Tall4Life

I agree with that. What they could have said instead of simply too much water is there is not enough to do on the water. Or say that they didn't like how the water routes was handled. Maybe even complain about very little was changed about how the water is handeled in Hoenn last time.(Something I hope they are working on in Sun and Moon) She did mention these things in the review but her summation was off.

Flatly saying too much water with out anything to it toward a water based region is dumb. If the statement was "The Water areas are a chore to manuver" with we wouldnt be talking about this now.
Or maybe that the "too much water" line was just a tongue-in-cheek joke about the Hoenn region with the underlying point being that the water sections are terrible.

thumb

Banned
I consider those three as consequences for your choices. Punishing implies the game shoves you down with messages how much you are a bad guy for killing people (hint: it doesn't).

For god's sake, you can't have a good Dishonored discussion without someone complaining about the chaos system

But notably, the consequences are punishing: that is, they make the player's experience more difficult, or they reflect on the players decisions negatively. In principle, the game could celebrate you for killing the enforcers of a corrupt police state and the tyrants that run it. I'm not saying it *should* celebrate you, I'm saying that the designers chose to punish a style of play with more negative consequences. And that's not inherently a bad choice, but it is a choice on their part. Those consequences are not somehow a logical inevitability of Corvo's high chaos actions.

So yes, people may exaggerate the consequences of high chaos. But the complaint does not come out of nowhere.

redfox088

Banned

And that stops her from getting sawed in half for an instant game over how?

Muffdraul

So many people say they hate Xenogears' Tower of Bable section because "I'll try to make this really hard jump, but then I get into a random battle WHILE I'M IN MID AIR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE JUMP and then after the battle I fall straight down."

That is something that literally never happens in Xenogears. Never ever.

The Final Fanfasy X laugh memes

People desperately try and act like there's something noteworthy about that scene but it's frankly an unremarkable "just force yourself to laugh without pause" thing. I don't believe anyone who says they know the scene was ironic but consider it poor on a technical level on a production side. Please. You saw the video and thought it was bad voice acting on a normal scene and can't backtrack well.

Boom. Mic drop.

redfox088

Banned
Why does Ridley look so different from his sprite anyway? Kraid and Mother Brain are much closer in appearance to their in-game sprites, but Ridley is blue instead of purple and has that bizarre head design.

I don't dislike the design, but it's really weird how different it is.
Looks like a Chlutlu

08ed71d1a7c4a829911a278485bbe6a5.jpg

he clearly punches them

But Mario does hit the blocks with his head. When you crouch jump he doesn't raise his fist, and its clearly his head that hits the block.

I guess people might show a picture a picture of the standard jump and him hitting a block, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it.

The misconception that bothers me, is how people said that Mario 2 being a dream was a twist. The story said that subcon was the world of dreams, and that Mario was there in a previous dream. As child I didn't think I was floored by that "revelation" at the end.

Menitta

But Mario does hit the blocks with his head. When you crouch jump he doesn't raise his fist, and its clearly his head that hits the block.

I guess people might show a picture a picture of the standard jump and him hitting a block, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it.

The misconception that bothers me, is how people said that Mario 2 being a dream was a twist. The story said that subcon was the world of dreams, and that Mario was there in a previous dream. As child I didn't think I was floored by that "revelation" at the end.

But his back tho.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
xKi7hie.png

These two Clouds are not as drastically different as the meme would have you believe.

-Cloud is skinny in both images. One is a more modern art style, and his posture is different. He actually has more muscles in the second picture.

-His confidence and subsequent loss of said confidence are a deliberate part of the story of his game. Cloud was always a self-doubting, shy person who was faking it for a variety of reasons.

-The stylized belt and boots are not indicative of Cloud now when everyone else in Dissidia is actually much more stylized than him. Cloud is the most unchanged from his initial appearance out of any Dissidia hero. Everything in Dissidia is cleaner than normal.

Blueingreen

BITmX.jpg
[/QUOTE]

A grossly disingenuous derogatory on modern game design, look I get it people liked the flat convoluted metroidvania level design of 90's shooters, but to instigate that running around collecting key cards in convoluted mazes end all be all of FPS design is ignorant, it also ignores that outside of COD major FPS's of that year Bioshock 2, Crysis 2, Halo Reach, maybe New Vegas and Metro 2033 all utilised fairly open design.

PS3 has no games. Aside from Gears and Halo, there really wasn't much that was enviable on the 360.

Hardly a meme and back in 2006/07 it was rightly justified, however it was rendered obsolute by 2010.

BITmX.jpg

A grossly disingenuous derogatory on modern game design, look I get it people liked the flat convoluted metroidvania level design of 90's shooters, but to instigate that running around collecting key cards in convoluted mazes end all be all of FPS design is ignorant, it also ignores that outside of COD major FPS's of that year Bioshock 2, Crysis 2, Halo Reach, maybe New Vegas and Metro 2033 all utilised fairly open design.

Very strong point.

Elman

So many people say they hate Xenogears' Tower of Bable section because "I'll try to make this really hard jump, but then I get into a random battle WHILE I'M IN MID AIR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE JUMP and then after the battle I fall straight down."

Hmm...this is technically true - the game never checks for random encounters while your character is airborne, but the "misconception" is still justified.

The real issue is that the game would trigger a random battle without immediately transitioning to the battle screen - which allows the player to still move the character and jump. You can actually hear the disc start spinning in the PS1, and the game cuts off ambient sound effects to prepare for the transition.

So what you described does occur in Xenogears - a player triggers the random encounter while on a platform, the PS1 begins loading the battle screen, the player jumps, and then the game transitions to the battle mid-jump.

Still, I always chuckle whenever I hear this. Babel Tower is one of my favorite parts of the game, despite the awful platforming. Probably because of the music.

EDIT: ACTUALLY, I think you might be right. I just watched a let's play of the area and the majority of the battles occur in fixed locations (I'm shocked they thought it through). I think the green floating pods that you have to jump on result in the behavior that people complain about - you could slide off of it while still triggering the fixed battle, leading to a battle transition mid fall.

Still, this behavior absolutely occurs in other parts of the game, like the cave before the assault on Aveh/Gebler's Sand Fleet.

"Hey Niko, my cousin, it's me Roman, your cousin! You wanna go bowling?" in GTA IV.

I completed the game 2 times to get 100% and I was never harassed by Roman with his phone calls like people tend to say.

Boom. Mic drop.

Your right. What happens is you walk towards the platform you want to jump on, press the jump button and your mech don't jump and instead fall to the ground because jumping is disabled while the game is loading the battle screen. Much better, right?

JC Lately

You see this a lot in Metroid: Other M threads/criticism and while the game certainly isn't subtle with its baby symbolism, this particular meme makes it seem like Samus repeats it throughout the entire game when it's really just the opening sequence.

Came to post this. Other M's faults are legion. No need to manufacture additional ones.

Clearly you're just a bad cousin.
Not really, when you have completed every activity with him and have a good friendship stat with him, like if you answer his first call and go bowling with him at beginning of the game, Roman will call you significantly less so often after that.

The "Nintendo Seal of Quality" has nothing to do with whether the game is a great game or not. It was a reaction to the reasons behind the crash of 83 including a shitload of shovelware that would sometimes not even run correctly, be impossible to complete, or have offensive shit in it like raping Indian princesses.

The seal was there to assure customers that the game they were purchasing was technically competent to a certain bare minimum and didn't have offensive stuff in it, and also that it wasn't pirated.

BITmX.jpg

New Vegas is a bit of a weird example there, considering it's an open world RPG, so yeah, it's "fairly" open. :)

As for the use of the "convoluted mazes", just youtube someone who's good at playing those games, and see how they utilize the map design. It's about a bit more then just fetching key cards.

Maybe that's because the Chaos system is bad.

It isn't, at all. It's a morality system with no transparent "CHOOSE THE GOOD GUY THING OR THE BAD GUY THING" moments, with consequences greater than just unlocking the red power or the blue power. You're judged on your overall play style, rather than which dialogue choice you made at a specific junction, and the differences between high, low and neutral chaos are more significant than changing an ending cutscene or two.

If you want to kill everyone, you're free to do it, but the consequence is a darker ending and some more difficult scenarios, both because lethal play requires less skill and because struggling with the morality of using The Outsider's powers is a huge theme of the story. You're constantly running into other characters who had run-ins with the dude and seeing how things went for them when they decided to abuse the power. It's the classic light side/dark side thing; it's all too easy to succumb to the dark side, but if you resist the temptation you end up beating the Empire and partying it up in Ewok city at the end.

While we're at it, the other common misconception with Dishonored is that all the fun abilities are lethal and playing non-lethal restricts you to just Blinking and choking dudes, which is also completely untrue. The only power that's exclusively lethal is the one that makes people turn to ash when you kill them; every other one is perfectly usable for either playstyle, even the one that summons a swarm of rats if you're creative about it. Every weapon has a non-lethal alternative, and you can even use the sword to just bang on things and attract guards to the noise.

Maybe that's because the Chaos system is bad.
And you just proved my point. The system's not perfect, but it isn't as bad as some people claim. Is it really too much to ask to have a Dishonored discussion thread without people being hyperbolic about the chaos system? Unless you go out of your way to kill half the NPCs per level, you won't get the high chaos ending

I'm thankful Arkane didn't take the easy way out by removing the chaos system with Dishonored 2 and went with improving it instead

bobawesome

The exclusives/games joke that people make for the PS vita, which simply isn't true. There are games on the Vita. You might not care for all of them, but they do exist.

This one too

And this one

That first quote. Sometimes you see a name and forget why you put someone on your ignore list and then you see things like that.

Dryk

To me at least, it is a shitty complaint. The water, oceans, and diving of Hoenn are a big part of its identity, and I think it's weird to have a tick against the game for being faithful to its original.

If you wanna complain about HM's being shitty and having to lug around too many being lame, sure, but the water itself? Nah.
It doesn't matter that it's something so intrinsically tied to the original that they couldn't get rid of it. It still drags the game down. Hoenn was shit on for years because of how much of a pain in the arse its ocean is but as soon as IGN complained it turned into a thing.

But yeah I guess that bullet point is phrased pretty awkwardly. "Water still sucks" may have been a good alternative.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Navi being annoying is more meme than reality, I feel.

Really? This explains why I always think of hyperbole when someone brings it up... I always thought it was real for other people, but then again, I feel the same with difficulty on water temple..

Top Bottom