• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Games Live Concert

NinSoX

Banned
Video Games Live Concert, hosted by Tommy Tallarico, was held in Toronto on September 1, 2006 at Massey Hall. Originally the show was supposed to be held last Fall but because not enough advanced tickets were sold, they had to reschedule. I was given a free ticket by a friend to attend with him ($60 face value) and we sat on the second row, left side of the theatre. I'd just like to share this event with everyone in favor of Mr. Tallarico, simply because he's from my province ;-) (Which I hadn't known before).

It's basically a light show with a live orchestra group and a projected screen to show each respective video game while the music were being played. Most of the time, the music synched with the action on screen, which was pretty cool.

Videos of Hideo Kojima, Koji Kondo and many others helped to recognize this event and gave an introduction of what's to come. Martin Leung (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vin9sapwkRU ) made a surprising guest appearance and played his famous Super Mario-while-blinded-folded using the piano. He also played 10 short Final Fantasy songs. He has quick hands! Tommy hand picked a few audiences to play Space Invaders and Frogger and they won Ghost Recon...one girl even won a "Ferarri Laptop" ($2600). At the end of the show, we were treated with "bonus" music from Halo 1 and 2. Overall, I had a very enjoyable evening and quite honestly some of the music made me more interested in some of the games (such as Myst and Advent Rising). After the show, we had the opportunity to go down to the bottom floor of the theatre to meet with staff from the Splinter Cell series but we didn't want to go.

My only complaint from the show is having to sit in a room of over 2000 "very scary" people. They were playing with their DS before the show started, jumping and clapping their hands at the site of PONG on the projector..really ridiculous stuff you wouldn't expect to see grown men doing. Worst of all, to the left of me was an overweight man that looked like he needed 2 seats (he didn't get up during the 20 minute intermission) and he had STRONG B.O. and bad breath. I cringed every time he yelled in excitement because I could smell the stench of his breath..

Anyway, the following are pics from the event:

Guys playing DS behind me, and the overweight man next to me:

Hideo Kojima, Koji Kondo and Yuji Naka speaking about the show:

Then we were attacked by terrorists during the Metal Gear Solid theme:

Weirdo who was chosen to get up on stage because he had a "Pick Me Please" sign with him. He played Space Invaders...didn't "win" but he left with a video card and Ghost Recon:

Martin Leung:

This is like straight out of Dead Rising. If only I had a katana...:

Random light shows and videos on the projection:

Thai

Bane was better.
I was there too! I thought it was hilarious that they had 8 player tetris DS games going.

The Cosplay was kinda cool. the winner (Solid Snake) was really well done! I'll give more thoughts later if this thread is still alive, but all in all it was very enjoyable. Martin Leung was DEFINATELY the show's highlight.

NinSoX

Banned
I couldn't see the Snake cosplay. I just saw a big brown box...although my friend said a chubby dude was dressed up with a sloppy beard. Anyway I saw a veryyy attractive woman cosplaying as Link on the streets before the concert.

Bojangles

NinSoX said:
I couldn't see the Snake cosplay. I just saw a big brown box...although my friend said a chubby dude was dressed up with a sloppy beard. Anyway I saw a veryyy attractive woman cosplaying as Link on the streets before the concert.

I saw that same girl in Burger King on yonge. I gotta appreciate a hot girl dressed as link eating at burger king.

The 12 year olds in cosplay thing was dumb. It made me ashamed to be there. At least when the lights dimmed I didn't feel like video games was a phase I should have grown out of.

The video intros of people who didn't seem to care all that much (kojima etc) didn't add much imo. I was there for the music, not the "sorry I can't be there" cameos..

Tommy didn't impress me with his "here's my piece from Advent Rising, it's awesome, cuz we used actual* 18th century italian opera"... whatever Tommy.

That said, it was nice to listen to some orchestral arrangements of music I'm fond of. The concert was decent...

in the same way giant crabs are from actual japanese history

Shinobi

I was interested in going to the Toronto show, but I didn't have enough scratch for it (all the cheap seats were sold out). And I figured the sort of crowd that would be at this show (which was talked about) was the type I'd rather avoid.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Yeah, we're heading to the Play! Orchestra in Toronto on the 30th... watch for the coverage at n-sider, and such.

I am anxious to see this concert, here in my city, in November.

I watch the trailer preview in the official site and I like so much, it's wonderful!

Varshes

Robert-GCA said:
Play!....what a ripoff. VGL gives you so much more for less.

Much more what? Lame audience interaction? So I can talk to the fat guy beside me playing his DS and wearing his clothes he washed last week? No thanks.

NinSoX

Banned
el jacko said:
All I'm curious about though, is:

how was the Beyond Good & Evil piece? I want to hear it but nobody records it. :(

Ahhh yes Beyond Good and Evil was fantastic! I never played the game but the piece they played was soothing as I recall. This along with Myst and Advent Children (all of which I've never played) got me excited.

mrkgoo

VGL is coming to NZ in about a months time. It seems really geeky, expecting lots of strange people, but at the same time I want to go to enjoy the music. Not sure if I can though.

pubba

I met Tommy Talarico in Australia at a local Nerd-con

He was a total prick

- 1 Ticket Sale

Oh who am I kidding.. If they cant sell enough tickets to put on this show in Canada, what chance do they have of staging it here?

Would love to buy a CD or DVD of the show, so you can fast forward through all of the BS

Top Bottom