• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the of the HD 4000 series Ruby tech demo

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shockgamer said:
And this is why the idea of Sony and Microsoft following the Wii's lead is a disappointing thought to consider.
That but also thinking of the costs....ouch. I do not want gaming to turn into these 120million dollar extravaganzas. This is what will kill gaming or create a collapse. I still want great gameplay over great graphics.

Shockgamer said:
And this is why the idea of Sony and Microsoft following the Wii's lead is a disappointing thought to consider.

Just buy a new PC like the rest of us. You can get some serious performance for very little outlay right now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
prodystopian said:
They couldn't get their cards out the door in time for Nvidia's launch, so they released a demo of their new tech?

/cynicism
No, more like Nvidia rushed its launch because this gen they cant compete.

godhandiscen

BTW, this demo is meant to run on real time in a 4870X2. The reason why graphics take a hit in games is because no PC game is a exclusive, meaning that no PC game is optimized for a certain platform. That real time demo right there is uber optimized for the 4870X2 and uses DX10.1. Thats why it looks so good.

Formless

Frencherman said:
Same for me! Oldschool A64 3500 with an X1900XT.

Upgrade says hallo..
Eh I can play Bioshock on high and Crysis on medium at my resolution. The Pentium D is what's killing me

:(

godhandiscen said:
BTW, this demo is meant to run on real time in a 4870X2. The reason why graphics take a hit in games is because no PC game is a exclusive, meaning that no PC game is optimized for a certain platform. That real time demo right there is uber optimized for the 4870X2 and uses DX10.1. Thats why it looks so good.

It would be an interesting try if one of the Videocards-Manufacturer like ATI or Nvidia would develope an exclusive high-budget game for their cards only^^.

Okay, completely unrealistic but interesting, though!

diddlyD said:
not everyone is failing the 1080p 60fps target on current consoles. GTA5 prologue is 1080p 60fps, so is super stardust HD. there are others. its just a matter of developers being talented enough, which unfortunately seems to be getting more and more rare.

Good developers > Bad developers

Chiggs

Gold Member
Frencherman said:
It would be an interesting try if one of the Videocards-Manufacturer like ATI or Nvidia would develope an exclusive high-budget game for their cards only^^.

Trespasser Rebirth?

Endless said:
At a press conference June 16, 2008, in San Francisco, AMD demonstrated a milestone achievement in ultra-realistic and interactive visual computing through the processing power of its forthcoming teraFLOPS (trillion floating point operations per second) graphics chip, codenamed “RV770”. - PR

2quk9ys.jpg

Rendered in real-time and interactive, this is a brief video from the first Cinema 2.0 demo, premiered by AMD in San Francisco. The interactive demo was rendered by a single PC equipped with two "RV770" codenamed graphics cards powered by an AMD Phenom™ X4 9850 Processor and AMD 790FX Chipset. The full demo shows cinema-quality digital images rendered in real-time with interactivity.

Video | amd.com/Cinema 2.0

crying wolf????

avaya

Frencherman said:

They do. They're called games consoles.

What you see in this demo is what is to be expected at the very least from the next Xbox's 2nd generation of games provided the next Xbox is not neutered from a hardware POV.

camineet

Banned
Just think, RV770 / HD 4870 is not even a highend GPU, it's upper midrange.
(R700 / HD 4870X2 using two RV770s forms the highend product for this year).

Imagine if Nintendo's next-gen console GPU can rival or even surpass RV770 at a much lower cost (given that it'll arrive in 2011 or 2012) on 32nm or 22nm. Nintendo could easily get basicly what would seem like a double generational leap from Wii, since Wii graphics are last-gen, at very low cost.

The next-gen Zelda (not the one being worked on now for Wii but a future Zelda for the next console), could easily look like lowend CG, probably even better that CG television commercial for GBC Ages/Seasons.

Of course games don't look as good as tech demos of the same time peroid/gen. However, games do end up looking better than previous-generation tech demos.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
camineet said:
Imagine if Nintendo's next-gen console GPU can rival or even surpass RV770 at a much lower cost (given that it'll arrive in 2011 or 2012) on 32nm or 22nm. Nintendo could easily get basicly what would seem like a double generational leap from Wii, since Wii graphics are last-gen, at very low cost.

It may be iffy if Iwata asks them to make the next console as small, if not smaller, than the Wii already is.

Haunted

Looks amazing. PC gaming leading the way, as always.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yet we have gamers who don't want consoles this powerful to hit the streets until like 2014. :lol
Minsc said:
A groove which doesn't include 1080p at 60fps? I thought that was one of the main points/failures of PS3/360. Delivering a "true HD" experience, yet people are so quickly content to settle for merely better than 480p.

then again most people can't tell the difference between 640p & 1080p on their HDTVs anyway, along with 30 fps & 60 fps
Good job.

zbarron

Finally we get Toy Story quality graphics. :lol

Seriously though, I'm hoping Ati gets the sales they deserve so I can finally put the DX10.1 capabilities of my card to use.

godhandiscen

Shit, looking at it again, it seems Ruby isnt coming alive out of this one....

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yet we have gamers who don't want consoles this powerful to hit the streets until like 2014. :lol

I'm sure we all want this, it's just that some people don't want consoles to cost several hundred dollars.

JodyAnthony said:
unrelated, but am i the only one that doesn't like how fake 60fps looks? looks way too smooth to me. give me a locked 30 fps and I'm a happy camper

Life runs > 60fps. When you say "fake", what you really mean is "not like TV". :D

camineet

Banned
R700 / HD 4870X2 will do doubt run that at much smoother framerates, drool.

It'll take the future R8xx or R9xx (and next-gen Xbox) to make games look that good, but it'll happen in less than 5 years.

I love the scorpion, but it needs more dinosaurs.

Also: :lol at watching this footage on Youtube. I'm going home and get a decent quality vid of this.

Top Bottom