• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows cops fatally shooting Calif. teen on ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna plant my flag on this one for the initial shots but those shots on the ground were just straight up murder.

The more that I see shootings like this I really wonder if the thought goes through these guy's heads that they have a much better chance of getting away with a fatal shooting than a non-fatal one.

It at least seems to me that when the victim survives and can tell their story the shooter gets into a lot more trouble.

The Beard

Read the first sentence of my post that you quoted. Suggesting pepper spray in this instance is just as laughable as what slapnuts posted earlier about "taser, baton, mace...held to higher standard LULZ!"

Nice argument. You really convinced me. Thanks dude-bro!

Regginator

I'm surprised this doesn't get a lot of attention here. I was under the impression GAF was against police brutality? Despite this looking to be a suicide by cop, the core problem still remains: the police needs to be trained to handle, assess and evaluate these situations well. They seem way too trigger happy. How come this isn't a 20+ page thread as usual?

Media

I'm surprised this doesn't get a lot of attention here. I was under the impression GAF was against police brutality? Despite this looking to be a suicide by cop, the core problem still remains: the police needs to be trained to handle, assess and evaluate these situations well. They seem way too trigger happy. How come this isn't a 20+ page thread as usual?

I agree police need to be better trained. It's awful.

BokehKing

Banned
Why don't cops have tranquilizer dart guns?
Because criminals don't have tranq guns. Basically.

I don't understand your statement, you said it appears to be suicide by cop, wouldn't that mean the suspect did something that would require a response from the officers if they were led to believe he had a weapon. It's easy for us after the fact to point to fingers, but let's say the suspect is approaching you, you can't pause the scenario and go to the menu screen and re equip a tranq dart with +25 steady aim bonus perks. You just got to deal with it.

Someone posted a video in another thread earlier of a black panther leader being placed in police scenarios, he took your approach and he got "shot" 3 out of 4 scenarios.

Edit:. The video in question, to me these scenarios freak me out because how do you know until it's too late
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

commedieu

Banned

Definitely racism and Not a million people that just got mowed down in France.

What else can be said? People shrug off suicide by cop. I commented on it earlier. It's downplayed as if it's ok.

Even though this guy was pulled over randomly.. for speeding away from police. Which is bullshit. I've been pulled over for that. He didn't set out to get pulled over by cops and shot. Looks like he was just playing games with police and didn't know that the police belived him to be a man wearing cammo with a rifle.

They double tapped him. And showed up guns aimed, even as the cop was driving without a successful id of a suspect. He had his gun on one hand and wheel in the other.

As usual I have better training than police. He should have been face down on the ground.

fuck off with suicide by cop.

Looks like a nervous teen who just got caught by a known gang that's been frequently on the news for indiscriminately killing people.

Being stopped by the police in the US is like being stopped by a Mexican drug gang, you don't know if you're going to get out alive so you start acting nervous.

commedieu

Banned

Looks like a nervous teen who just got caught by a known gang that's been frequently on the news for indiscriminately killing people.

Being stopped by the police in the US is like being stopped by a Mexican drug gang, you don't know if you're going to get out alive so you start acting nervous.

+1

Ultryx

Jesus.

Regginator

Definitely racism and Not a million people that just got mowed down in France.

What else can be said? People shrug off suicide by cop. I commented on it earlier. It's downplayed as if it's ok.

Even though this guy was pulled over randomly.. for speeding away from police. Which is bullshit. I've been pulled over for that. He didn't set out to get pulled over by cops and shot. Looks like he was just playing games with police and didn't know that the police belived him to be a man wearing cammo with a rifle.

They double tapped him. And showed up guns aimed, even as the cop was driving without a successful id of a suspect. He had his gun on one hand and wheel in the other.

As usual I have better training than police. He should have been face down on the ground.

Which is what I said, in the core it's the same kind of situation. The police who are supposed to serve and protect have an eerie feel to them and people may get nervous around them. It didn't happen once or twice, or ten times, or twenty, more than that. It means there's fundamentally wrong with the police in one way or the other, and I'm very curious as to why police still behave in this way. Don't they get training to handle this properly?

sk3

Banned
The more that I see shootings like this I really wonder if the thought goes through these guy's heads that they have a much better chance of getting away with a fatal shooting than a non-fatal one.

It at least seems to me that when the victim survives and can tell their story the shooter gets into a lot more trouble.

"No witnesses"

Is this really where we are in America? jfc.

tbh I don't know how gun control is even an issue when we have essentially rogue police forces. Do we really want to cede all control to such a racist and shitty organization?

commedieu

Banned
Which is what I said, in the core it's the same kind of situation. The police who are supposed to serve and protect have an eerie feel to them and people may get nervous around them. It didn't happen once or twice, or ten times, or twenty, more than that. It means there's fundamentally wrong with the police in one way or the other, and I'm very curious as to why police still behave in this way. Don't they get training to handle this properly?

No. And youre asking too much of police. According to police.

What the fuck, suicide by cop, wtf is this shit?

It's terribly sad that there is a phrase for this in America. If the kid is on the ground, why shoot him with a lethal weapon. Jesus Christ. Do they not have tasers?

commedieu

Banned
What the fuck, suicide by cop, wtf is this shit?

It's terribly sad that there is a phrase for this in America. If the kid is on the ground, why shoot him with a lethal weapon. Jesus Christ. Do they not have tasers?

Suicide by cop, and the downplay here is 100% Bullshit.

This guy was pulled over randomly over a REPORT of an armed dude with camouflage and a rifle. Cops claimed he sped away....so thats why they went after him. So how can this guy just wakeup one day and randomly hope to get pulled over for his fucking suicide-by-cop.. And as usual. No weapons.

kirblar

Suicide by cop, and the downplay here is 100% Bullshit.

This guy was pulled over randomly over a REPORT of an armed dude with camouflage and a rifle. Cops claimed he sped away....so thats why they went after him. So how can this guy just wakeup one day and randomly hope to get pulled over for his fucking suicide-by-cop.. And as usual. No weapons.
Because people make emotional decisions in the heat of the moment.

There's no "confusion" here about what he's doing, he's deliberately miming a gun as he walks towards them.

commedieu

Banned
Because people make emotional decisions in the heat of the moment.

There's no "confusion" here about what he's doing, he's deliberately miming a gun as he walks towards them.

Who said there was confusion? I'm not confused.

Him deciding to commit suicide after randomly getting pulled over is a leap into nonsense. Being a moron shouldn't be a death penalty, and it isn't outside of America with armed people, as well as unarmed people. Police need to be reformed, to have better training, some fuckign patience, non-leathal weapons by a supporting officer, and to not show up to a situation itching to kill something. The asshole cop was driving with 1 hand on the wheel, and the other aiming his pistol at the truck. This was only going to end in one way from the start. Having our police force be so trigger happy that they'll legitimately kill anything at a whiff of threat is an issue, especially when more often than not, there is no gun or threat. Save for the youtube video that keeps getting passed around as if 1000's of cops die a year due to gunfire, no. Half are killed by fucking traffic accidents, yearly.

The stars aligned for his suicide. He said to himself "ok, I wanna kill myself, BUT -- I'll just wait until I randomly get pulled over!" He wanted suicide so badly, he bitched about being shot while he was on the ground, then got double tapped by our broken police system. And as always, no weapon to be found. They were responding to a man with a rifle.

Anyone who doesn't recognize an issue with how our law enforcement/justice systems deal with minorities (particularly black Americans) is deliberately fooling themselves. Yet another incident of a ridiculous application of deadly force on a subdued individual.

^I'm with you, man. Humans react to being manhandled/attacked, that doesn't justify shooting someone who is on the ground and unable to be a significant threat.

drotahorror

Could getting shot twice have something to do with not being able to put your hands above your head while you're on the ground?

You can tell he puts his hands up, then puts them back down and then gets pistol'd again. It looks like he's clenching his hands or something like I don't really know how to explain it, almost like what happens when someone gets knocked out and goes into the fencing position.

So now you've been shot 3x at basically point blank range. Isn't it possible he couldn't even put his hands up anymore? So he takes another shotgun blast and is still moving, how did the cops know he wasn't a threat anymore? He's still moving but the cams cut off, I"m guessing he died very soon after.

If I'm not allowed to link to liveleak please let me know and I'll edit it.

Both viewpoints from the cops - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c1_1468467506 NSFW obviously and yes it contains someone getting shot.

^Both body cam's NSFW (possibly NSFL) for people that don't want to go back a few posts or may be new to the thread.

**I do think the first 2 shots were justified. In fact it showed incredible restraint since cops are told to shoot to kill.

I have a feeling these cops will get away with it because of the suicide by cop narrative. Fucking sadistic. They shoot him over and over and again while he is lying in the ground dying. I'm gonna be sick.

HariKari

You have a shotgun and a pistol on the guy, the shotgun can end it lethally at any time. The other guy should have a taser and use that first. They also talk about "we have a dog" in the video but the officer is either mistaken or they never deploy the dog. They fail to attempt to use any nonlethal measure, end result is a guy dead that didn't have to die.

Outcomes like this are still a total failure of policing, even though the guy wanted to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom