• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

1. Have tablet next to you.
2. Push button on tablet.

Really?

So you can access XB1 game DVR, TV signal, have apps open and automatically show contextual information/media, open any app and navigate to literally any content available on the internet.....

All by tapping once on a tablet screen that's sitting next to you?

Where can I buy one?

Kiant

Don't really see the appeal in this tbh, sure the OS seems "snappy" (pardon the pun) but that's the only plus point I see in those video's.

nib95

Banned
You're going to lose this argument. By a mile. I may not be a big Xbox One fan, but it's infinitely faster than the lame alternatives you're providing.

No it's not. I guarantee that even many people with Xbox One's will still use their mobile's or tablets for half the uses Snap is intended for. Much easier to have a quick separate screen for these things than your gaming real estate shrunk or stretched. Not like web browsing or whatever is very useable without making it larger (thus making the game space smaller and rather pointless too).

Dukey

Banned
No it's not. I guarantee that even many people with Xbox One's will still use their mobile's or tablets for half the uses Snap is intended for. Much easier to have a quick separate screen for these things than your gaming real estate shrunk or stretched. Not like web browsing or whatever is very useable without making it larger (thus making the game space smaller and rather pointless too).

It doesn't make it faster or more convenient than simply giving a voice command. This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. What's next, are you going to tell me that using a tablet along with my laptop is faster than going split screen? It's one thing to not want to give up real estate, but it's a completely different argument to say it's faster to pause a game, find the tablet/phone, log into it, and then find the app you want. Just an awful argument.

Not sure I agree that it's much easier. I'd probably use a tablet initially as that's what I'm used to, but as the generation goes on, I could see myself using snap more and more as I start to get used to using it.

It'll definitely come into its own when the next Bethesda RPG is released. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if it happened sooner with The Witcher 3 and maybe even Dead Rising 3. All it needs is one game that shows its potential for it to really take off...

Really?

So you can access XB1 game DVR, TV signal, have apps open and automatically show contextual information/media, open any app and navigate to literally any content available on the internet.....

All by tapping once on a tablet screen that's sitting next to you?

Where can I buy one?

I don't know what your point is. Can you hit 1 button on the xbox controller "and navigate to literally any content available on the internet....." either? Um, no you can't. You can use snap to open IE and attempt to navigate with the controller or vioce controls from there.

Here's an example. Lets pretend I'm streaming a game directing from the XB1 and want to watch the chat at the same time. Do I want to-

A- Minimize my game in one window while twitch chat is going in another windows.

Advantages- minimal eye travel from game to chat.
Disadvantages- minimized screen size for game. In order to chat you'd have to have some type of keyboard attached (not sure if possible), use speech recognition (not sure if possible), or hit the snap button, go into the chat window and use the controller for input. Distraction from having your game and chat going at the same time on the same screen.

or

B- Have twitch open on a tablet/PC that you keep nearby

Advantages- Maximum game screen size and performance from console. Quick to lean over, check chat and use keyboard to type. Less distraction from chat.
Disadvantages- need to have laptop/tablet, have to take eyes away from screen longer to check chat.

Both have advantages/disadvantages but using snap is clearly not vastly superior to what's easily doable now.

snorggy

It doesn't make it faster or more convenient than simply giving a voice command. This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. What's next, are you going to tell me that using a tablet along with my laptop is faster than going split screen? It's one thing to not want to give up real estate, but it's a completely different argument to say it's faster to pause a game, find the tablet/phone, log into it, and then find the app you want. Just an awful argument.

Speed isn't everything. It's often what's more comfortable... i'd guess a lot more people are more comfortable using a tablet/second screen than issuing voice commands or sacrificing screen real estate.

Dukey

Banned
Speed isn't everything. It's often what's more comfortable... i'd guess a lot more people are more comfortable using a tablet/second screen than issuing voice commands or sacrificing screen real estate.

Speed isn't everything, but it was what was being discussed. In terms of ease, it's also much easier to give a voice command than it is to drop a controller, pick up a tablet, turn it on, and then navigate to the app. Again, I don't know why this is even an argument.

JaggedSac

I don't know what your point is. Can you hit 1 button on the xbox controller "and navigate to literally any content available on the internet....." either? Um, no you can't. You can use snap to open IE and attempt to navigate with the controller or vioce controls from there.

Here's an example. Lets pretend I'm streaming a game directing from the XB1 and want to watch the chat at the same time. Do I want to-

A- Minimize my game in one window while twitch chat is going in another windows.

Disadvantages- minimized screen size for game. In order to chat you'd have to have some type of keyboard attached (not sure if possible), use speech recognition (not sure if possible), or hit the snap button, go into the chat window and use the controller for input. Distraction from having your game and chat going at the same time on the same screen.

or

Advantages- Maximum game screen size and performance from console. Quick to lean over, check chat and use keyboard to type. Less distraction from chat.
Disadvantages- need to have laptop/tablet, have to take eyes away from screen longer to check chat.

Both have advantages/disadvantages but using snap is clearly not vastly superior to what's easily doable now.

I am not completely familiar with the common usages of Twitch, but is it common for the person who is streaming to answer things in the chat by typing into the chat instead of just talking?

Alx

It will be easier to discuss convenience when we will be able to try the thing by ourselves. Besides it's all a matter of choice, the OS also supports "second screens" like phones or tablets.
I know that on the 360, there's no hard rule on what is better. I can use a controller, remote, smartglass or voice commands, or a mix of several of those, depending on the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar with snapping, not being a universal solution, but proving convenient from time to time.

snorggy

Speed isn't everything, but it was what was being discussed. In terms of ease, it's also much easier to give a voice command than it is to drop a controller, pick up a tablet, turn it on, and then navigate to the app. Again, I don't know why this is even an argument.

well easier doesn't always equal better... if i'm allowed to make a bad analogy, microwaving a tv dinner is easier, but not better than cooking your own meal ;)

Dukey

Banned
I am not completely familiar with the common usages of Twitch, but is it common for the person who is streaming to answer things in the chat by typing into the chat instead of just talking?

I've never seen a Twitch streamer type in the chat. Only time they go to the keyboard is to kick someone or block someone.

well easier doesn't always equal better... if i'm allowed to make a bad analogy, microwaving a tv dinner is easier, but not better than cooking your own meal ;)

Right on both counts - it's a bad analogy and cooking owns microwaving. =)

I don't know what your point is. 1. Can you hit 1 button on the xbox controller "and navigate to literally any content available on the internet....." either? Um, no you can't. You can use snap to open IE and attempt to navigate with the controller or vioce controls from there.

Disadvantages- minimized screen size for game. 2. In order to chat you'd have to have some type of keyboard attached (not sure if possible), use speech recognition (not sure if possible), or hit the snap button, go into the chat window and use the controller for input. Distraction from having your game and chat going at the same time on the same screen.

or

Which is why your "its easier to have a tablet next to you and push one button" argument in the way that you replied to one of my posts (which is what I was parodying) doesn't work.

In order to chat while streaming, I would have thought you simply needed to talk? Either Kinect or your headset would pick you up. You can see the comments off the side of the screen and just respond using your voice. Never taking your eyes off the screen and never taking your hands off your controller. Most importantly, never actually interrupting your gaming session.

Sure there are pluses and minuses to both, but having to use a second screen to watch/interact with my own stream from another device and typing instead of talking to the comment section.....while trying to also play the game I'm streaming, is easily vastly inferior. But that's only my opinion.

Am I right in what I'm seeing? A snapped window next to a game will squish the aspect ratio of the game from 16:9 and won't correct it?

VaizardNL

Banned
I actually really love this feature. Being able to play games during commercial breaks (and thus being able to see when it starts again) or Skype with my girlfriend while I'm playing a game. Walkthroughs if you are stuck (only once had that with lost odyssey) and other things are really great for me. Easily accessible by voice and no need to turn on my PC. Can use my phone for 'play to' music anyway.

Alx

Am I right in what I'm seeing? A snapped window next to a game will squish the aspect ratio of the game from 16:9 and won't correct it?

Not on the more recent versions. As you can see in the first video, the ratio is kept and black bars are added at the top and bottom.

old

its neat, but neat in the way that every device i have can view youtube or the web even when i don't care for it to do so. it would still be easier to pick up your phone or tablet while playing a game.

If you have a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Not everybody has those.

p3tran

Banned
If you have a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Not everybody has those.
or you might have all those but lets say your wife is using it right now, or it is plugged for battery, or its in another fuckin' room or whatever.

makes no sense to downplay a good UI.

what I want, is it to be fast (dont download 100mb of shit ads in start-up) and customizable.

You're just making using a tablet sounds more difficult then it is to strengthen your argument. I'm making comparisons between someone multi-tasking with snap versus someone multi-tasking with a separate tablet/PC. So adding steps like "pick up tablet, turn it on" is stupid. I'm not including steps like "power on Xbox, plug in Kinect, sign into XBL, etc"

I've never seen a Twitch streamer type in the chat. Only time they go to the keyboard is to kick someone or block someone.

Albert Penello levels of untruthfulness with this post. Plenty of streamers use the text chat instead of just speaking. Some are shy, some are talking with family and don't want to have it picked up. With streaming being as quick and easy as it is on these next console there will be a lot more people streaming who don't want to use voice chat.

Which is why your "its easier to have a tablet next to you and push one button" argument in the way that you replied to one of my posts (which is what I was parodying) doesn't work.

Why doesn't it work? You have a tablet next to you, if you want to use the internet you just need to hit the icon and off you go. On XB, you hit the snap button, then use your voice or select the IE icon and off you go. Neither of them are magical "push one button and bring me exactly were I want to go on the entire internet" devices. I never made that argument.

In order to chat while streaming, I would have thought you simply needed to talk? Either Kinect or your headset would pick you up. You can see the comments off the side of the screen and just respond using your voice. Never taking your eyes off the screen and never taking your hands off your controller.

Sure there are pluses and minuses to both, but having to use a second screen to watch/interact with my own stream from another device and typing instead of talking to the comment section.....while trying to also play the game I'm streaming, is easily vastly inferior. But that's only my opinion.

Answered above. Snap has nothing to do with voice chat so it's a moot either way. Attempting to text chat with snap would be inferior to using a secondary device. Fact. If MS includes keyboard support they would be equally good.

This is a cool feature, one of the few things that I'm genuinely excited about for the Xbox One outside of exclusive games. Why are people trying to downplay it?

nib95

Banned

If you're playing a game on it yea. Otherwise you just alt tab out of your game and browse the web, and then switch back. Not split your screen in half to do it.

Raymo

Hmm.

So:

1. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap TV

2. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap Twitch

3. Guide button/"Xbox" > Call David

4. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Game DVR

5. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Machinima "wingman" app for contextual content.

6. Double tap guide button to switch between apps/app focus

What is the "easier" equivalent of picking up a phone or tablet to do that while playing a game?

(would actually be great if you could put apps on "fast dial" so say you frequently use Skype/IE/TV between rounds or game loading times, you could assign them to Guide Button + A/B/X/Y commands to insta load/snap/switch to your favourite apps from anywhere. I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING MICROSOFT)

Who cares how fast you can get to an app? The advantage of using a tablet becomes apparent in usage. Using those apps in snap mode is going to be controlled by a controller. You have to jump back and forth between controlling your game and the snapped app. Using tablet apps (touch interface) is very intuitive and easy. Microsoft even agrees with this by demonstrating controlling snapped apps with a smart phone at the reveal (That's also redundant for obvious reasons). You also don't have to reduce the size of the game screen.

This is a cool feature, one of the few things that I'm genuinely excited about for the Xbox One outside of exclusive games. Why are people trying to downplay it?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81411/xbox-one-reserves-10-percent-of-gpu-for-kinect-and

Xbox One reserves 3GB of RAM for its OS, and also holds on to 10 percent of GPU resources. Why? To run Kinect and apps while you play games.

It's a nice feature, but that's a lot for something that doesn't seem completely necessary.

You're just making using a tablet sounds more difficult then it is to strengthen your argument. I'm making comparisons between someone multi-tasking with snap versus someone multi-tasking with a separate tablet/PC. So adding steps like "pick up tablet, turn it on" is stupid. I'm not including steps like "power on Xbox, plug in Kinect, sign into XBL, etc"

Albert Penello levels of untruthfulness with this post. Plenty of streamers use the text chat instead of just speaking. Some are shy, some are talking with family and don't want to have it picked up. With streaming being as quick and easy as it is on these next console there will be a lot more people streaming who don't want to use voice chat.

Why doesn't it work? You have a tablet next to you, if you want to use the internet you just need to hit the icon and off you go. On XB, you hit the snap button, then use your voice or select the IE icon and off you go. Neither of them are magical "push one button and bring me exactly were I want to go on the entire internet" devices. I never made that argument.

Answered above. Snap has nothing to do with voice chat so it's a moot either way. Attempting to text chat with snap would be inferior to using a secondary device. Fact. If MS includes keyboard support they would be equally good.

Wow, this post.

After reading you:

-Twisting and turning after you originally argue that x is easier via pushing one button, then making out like you never said what you said

And

-Trying to justify chatting on xb1 as a negative by willfully ignoring the fact that you can just talk to your watchers,

I don't even know if theres any point going further with this.

Wow, this post.

After reading you:

-Twisting and turning after you originally argue that x is easier via pushing one button, then making out like you never said what you said

And

-Trying to justify chatting on xb1 as a negative by willfully ignoring the fact that you can just talk to your watchers,

I don't even know if theres any point going further with this.

There's no point in going any further if you're going to be willfully ignorant and twist my words.

You said-

"1. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap TV

2. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap Twitch

3. Guide button/"Xbox" > Call David

4. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Game DVR

5. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Machinima "wingman" app for contextual content.

What is the "easier" equivalent of picking up a phone or tablet to do that while playing a game?"

I said-

1. Have tablet next to you.
2. Push button on tablet.

As in "Instead of pushing the guide button and snapping to TV you could push the TV app on a tablet and achieve the same goal." or ""Instead of pushing the guide button and snapping to Twitch you could push the Twitch app on a tablet and achieve the same goal." My argument is that it's just as easy to do that stuff with a tablet. That's all.

And how did I say "justify chatting on xb1 as a negative" when all I said is that some people prefer not to use voice chat and instead use text chat and that text chat would be easier with a secondary device then with using a controller with snap?

Dukey

Banned

I'm making using a tablet sound more difficult? Haha. Your argument is horrible. With your way I'd have to look to my TV, then to my ipad, then to the TV. That's stupid. Especially if you wear glasses. It's one of the worst arguments I've seen here in a long time.

As for the 2nd piece of quoted, shut up. I passed along what I've personally seen. If others do it differently, then fine. I haven't seen it. If you think I'm willfully trying to deceive you, you got bigger problems than Snap.

I'm making using a tablet sound more difficult? Haha. Your argument is horrible. With your way I'd have to look to my TV, then to my ipad, then to the TV. That's stupid. Especially if you wear glasses. It's one of the worst arguments I've seen here in a long time.

As for the 2nd piece of quoted, shut up. I passed along what I've personally seen. If others do it differently, then fine. I haven't seen it. If you think I'm willfully trying to deceive you, you got bigger problems than Snap.

Thanks for the rage filled immature response.

Its an interesting feature.

I don't know if or how much I'd use it, but it sounds like the kind of thing you don't really grock until you have some quality time with it. For all we know it becomes something like cross-game chat, where certain gamers just won't stand to be without it. None of the example scenarios have spoken to the way I've use my consoles, but there are definitely some folks out there who will appreciate it.

So, too early to tell, but I wouldn't bash MS for giving their console something different. People who want raw power and a laser-like focus on games above all else know their options.

Dukey

Banned
Thanks for the rage filled immature response.

Yes, because calling someone a liar is the height of maturity. If you want respect, earn it, kid.

Its an interesting feature.

I don't know if or how much I'd use it, but it sounds like the kind of thing you don't really grock until you have some quality time with it. For all we know it becomes something like cross-game chat, where certain gamers just won't stand to be without it. None of the example scenarios have spoken to the way I use my console, but there are definitely some folks out there who will appreciate it.

So, too early to tell, but I wouldn't bash MS for giving their console something different.

For me it's usefulness will be determined by whether or not the app keeps its state when you stop snapping it. For example, if I can snap youtube, watch a piece of a walk-thru, unsnap it, then snap it again later and get right back to where I was, it's an infinitely better solution than keeping a tablet on my lap at all times.

And how did I say "justify chatting on xb1 as a negative" when all I said is that some people prefer not to use voice chat and instead use text chat and that text chat would be easier with a secondary device then with using a controller with snap?

All I cba to respond to.

You noted it (NOT having to use text based chat via the fact that you can actually talk with Kinect/headset vs using a second careen and having to take your eyes hands off the game to type on keyboard) as a direct disadvantage just to make a point.

Like I said if you're just owing to do cartwheels and handstands any time somebody rebuts your posts, there's no point.

p3tran

Banned
If you're playing a game on it yea. Otherwise you just alt tab out of your game and browse the web, and then switch back. Not split your screen in half to do it.

well, to make things easier, lets just say that this is the new alt-tab

giphy.gif

:D

Who cares how fast you can get to an app? The advantage of using a tablet becomes apparent in usage. Using those apps in snap mode is going to be controlled by a controller. You have to jump back and forth between controlling your game and the snapped app. Using tablet apps (touch interface) is very intuitive and easy. Microsoft even agrees with this by demonstrating controlling snapped apps with a smart phone at the reveal (That's also redundant for obvious reasons). You also don't have to reduce the size of the game screen.

This is my concern. How well does it really control? Obviously some things can be done by voice. If the voice control is really good...it could work. If the voice control is flakey... it will be a really bad user experience.

This has to be a very difficult thing to program for with so many languages and dialects and environmental variables, and I can see why the launch is so limited.

I hope it works, because it looks cool. I've usually got my ipad/laptop/cell phone by my side, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't.

For me it's usefulness will be determined by whether or not the app keeps its state when you stop snapping it. For example, if I can snap youtube, watch a piece of a walk-thru, unsnap it, then snap it again later and get right back to where I was, it's an infinitely better solution than keeping a tablet on my lap at all times.

Pretty sure that's how it works. Didn't we already see that in one of the videos?

All I cba to respond to.

You noted it (NOT having to use text based chat via the fact that you can actually talk with Kinect/headset vs using a second careen and having to take your eyes hands off the game to type on keyboard) as a direct disadvantage just to make a point.

Like I said if you're just owing to do cartwheels and handstands any time somebody rebuts your posts, there's no point.

Yeah I noted it because trying to text chat is considerable more difficult to do when using a controller versus using a touch keyboard or laptop keyboard. Not everybody uses voice chat when streaming, what part of that don't you understand? I never said nobody voice chats, or voice chatting is easier when multitasking with a tablet, or you can't voice chat with XBL, I'm specifically talking about text chat.

Caayn

Yeah I noted it because trying to text chat is considerable more difficult to do when using a controller versus using a touch keyboard or laptop keyboard. Not everybody uses voice chat when streaming, what part of that don't you understand? I never said nobody voice chats, or voice chatting is easier when multitasking with a tablet, or you can't voice chat with XBL, I'm specifically talking about text chat.
We can plug in keyboards into our current consoles and they work without problems. Even wireless keyboards with a USB plug work perfectly fine on my Xbox 360. What's your point?

You ignored a large positive to highlight an extremely easily circumvented 'negative'.

We can plug in keyboards into our current consoles and they work without problems. Even wireless keyboards with a USB plug work perfectly fine on my Xbox 360. What's your point?

That's way I said- "In order to chat you'd have to have some type of keyboard attached (not sure if possible), use speech recognition (not sure if possible), or hit the snap button, go into the chat window and use the controller for input." because I don't know it's going to work yet.

You ignored a large positive to highlight an extremely easily circumvented 'negative'.

What positive did I ignore?

You asserted that snapping twitch is a negative because it "requires" a keyboard to chat with viewers, ignoring the large positive fact that you can just chat directly via Kinect/headset without ever taking you eyes or hands away from the game.

Ignoring positives to invent negatives.

Top Bottom