• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

Tom commented on his video saying:
"I ran IE side-by-side running a YouTube video and playing Forza 5 and it worked just fine with the YouTube audio playing alongside the game audio. No lag or stutter switching between them either."

Can't wait to see more :)

so uhh is the dnap feature just the xbox term for multitasking? I would presume ps4 has similar features? Am I right?

The "snap" mode is running two things at once on screen, which PS4 doesn't support.
Both PS4 and Xbone support switching inbetween multiple apps with saved states though.

Seems alot like the 360 to me. Just waaaayyyy more fluid.
Hopefully they cut back on the ads... I thought I read they were dewing away with them?
Looks nice though.

It's weird that people would think this video proves the OS is just fine. They're not snapping shit in this video, and they're not even connected to Live.

If I showed you 90 seconds of a game, would that tell you it's a bug free game?

What about the last video that showed it working reasonably well?

Concept17

Would love to see an actual app running on the snap, and not the default 'there's nothing here but look its a box on your screen'.

The problems likely lie in an individual app's ability to display in the snap while running something else.

Go check his twitter account, MS PR was breathing down his neck...

0bTUq9U.png

Just saw that and yeah I'll agree it does sound a little disconcerting, I'll wait to see what happens on the 22nd.

For snap mode to work wouldnt the app have to work in snap mode ? In the entire video the sign up screen opened so that the app would open but the apps themselves were never shown running

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ha. I tried to sign in with several different Xbox Live accounts that I have but the dogfood build on these systems doesn't allow it :(

Here's some pictures I took as well http://imgur.com/a/LnRYB

You’ll notice the dash is 6.2.10192.0 (xb_rel_launch_beta.131030-1211). That means it was built on October 30th 2013 at 12:11. So it seems on some of these Xbox One tour consoles they’re updating them fairly regularly with dash updates.
Interesting.

Thank you. Did you notice that the tiles below the current mainscreen/snap are a list of recently used/snapped items? Pretty nice.
Yup they update dynamically. They also had the Kinect demo in the dark where it detects your heart rate etc. I did notice that the sensor has three small red LEDs that light up when it's in that mode. Hadn't seen that before for what it's worth.

They had a variety of games, but the Battlefield machines were the most up to date. I was able to run IE on other machines fully with the older dash, and it's pretty much identical to the 360 version with the same pointer navigation. It identifies itself as IE10, and it looks like the entire system is identifying itself as Windows 8.

I couldn't figure out a quick way to switch input between the main app and snapped app. It looks like you have to navigate back to the dash to switch between the two, but I bet there's a quicker way to flip between them. Either way, running IE with a YouTube video playing alongside a game worked just fine. I wish I'd recorded that part, but I focused on the new dash machines mainly.

what does paying a sub

and bringing up the sub in general

have to do with the video in question tho

It actually doesn't, but all net functionality requiring sign in doesn't seem to bode well (does 360 browser require sign in, not used it).

Uh huh.

Its $5 a month. That one whole coffee I didn't have one day out of 30 is so prohibiting

i pay more in taxes buying a coffee every day than i do for xbox live.

It could be $1 a month and I still wouldn't want to pay 2 subs for a service that is free on all other machines.

Yup they update dynamically. They also had the Kinect demo in the dark where it detects your heart rate etc. I did notice that the sensor has three small red LEDs that light up when it's in that mode. Hadn't seen that before for what it's worth.

They had a variety of games, but the Battlefield machines were the most up to date. I was able to run IE on other machines fully with the older dash, and it's pretty much identical to the 360 version with the same pointer navigation. It identifies itself as IE10, and it looks like the entire system is identifying itself as Windows 8.

I couldn't figure out a quick way to switch input between the main app and snapped app. It looks like you have to navigate back to the dash to switch between the two, but I bet there's a quicker way to flip between them. Either way, running IE with a YouTube video playing alongside a game worked just fine. I wish I'd recorded that part, but I focused on the new dash machines mainly.

Can you show how the digital game library section looks like? Or describe it here if you cant take pics/vids?

Who was the insider that said the OS was crashing all the time again? Cause I really don't see it in this video.

Yup. No evidence of the snap feature crashing anything an ANY video ever. It's bullshit.

1. Nobody ever said it was crashing every time you tried to use it.

2. Most of the crashing problems were reportedly having to do with XBL, and this video, among others, have shown the UI while it wasn't online.

3. Are you expecting MS employees to upload videos showing it when or if does crash? This wasn't a live streaming.

LTWheels

I think I remember hearing someone say that double tapping the xbox button is the way to quickly switch.

Ishan

Someone needs to kick start a settop box which lets you snap. Essentially modify a linux/steam os into a cheap pc and use it as a connector for everything ... and sell it for 50.

bam xbox target audience captured.

jem0208

I think they've said double tapping the guide button changes focus with two snapped apps.

I really like the XB1 dashboard, prefer it over Sonys efforts from what I have seen so far but that question still remains, is it as fucked up as rumours suggest? I just hope that if it is, some sites don't come out with "oh it's nothing don't worry" bullshit.

x-Lundz-x

So a video with the console not connected, with no Kinect plugged in, showing the greatness of the snap functionality. Got it.

Maybe the Kinect is causing the rumored crashes. He specifically states in the video these Xbox ones were configured without the Kinect plugged in. Why?

Entrecôte;88384295 said:
It actually doesn't, but all net functionality requiring sign in doesn't seem to bode well (does 360 browser require sign in, not used it).

It could be $1 a month and I still wouldn't want to pay 2 subs for a service that is free on all other machines.

You no like online gaming?

Viruz

There are probably apps that are not gold only (IE?). The purpose of the video is a quick look at the snap functionality. This isn't an official MS video or anything it's just a guy filming a demo station.
Then he can't "snap" anything when live is not working. Thread title is misleading.

Caayn

3. Are you expecting MS employees to upload videos showing it when or if does crash? This wasn't a live streaming.
This video isn't made by an MS employee!
So a video with the console not connected, with no Kinect plugged in, showing the greatness of the snap functionality. Got it.

Maybe the Kinect is causing the rumored crashes. He specifically states in the video these Xbox ones were configured without the Kinect plugged in. Why?
Configured can also be used for simply plugging in the cables and placing the console on a shelf. Configured doesn't directly mean that settings or code has been adjusted.

derFeef

conspiracy.jpg

Troll

Banned
1. Nobody ever said it was crashing every time you tried to use it.

2. Most of the crashing problems were reportedly having to do with XBL, and this video, among others, have shown the UI while it wasn't online.

HAHAHAHAHAA

Another feature of the Cloud!!! It crashes your Xbox!!! You can't be buying this, can you!?

Major Nelson said double tapping the xbox guide button switches between snap and the main screen

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86274841&postcount=132

EDIT: beaten badly

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Can't wait for my teammates to be too busy watching youtube to help me win a game in Haler or whatever the fuck I'll be playing. IT'S NOT LIKE THEY EVEN PLAY NOW.

wu1y1VR.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Someone needs to kick start a settop box which lets you snap. Essentially modify a linux/steam os into a cheap pc and use it as a connector for everything ... and sell it for 50.

bam xbox target audience captured.

The game OS is able to communicate with the dashboard OS. A project like this one would require to provide some sort of API for different snapped apps to talk between each other.

x-Lundz-x

This video isn't made by an MS employee!
Configured can also be used for simply plugging in the cables and placing the console on a shelf. Configured doesn't directly mean that settings or code has been adjusted.

Isn't the point of the snap feature built around Kinect? Hell, the entire box is built around Kinect according to MS so why isn't it being shown that way?

The PS4 can't snap. However it'll probably be able to quickly switch between apps/games.

It's on the side,both systems multitask just that xbox is more robust but that is to be expected from a software company like MS.

"snap" mode is running two things at once on screen, which PS4 doesn't support.
Both PS4 and Xbone support switching inbetween multiple apps with saved states though.

pretty darn cool that xbox can do this.. If ps4 can switch between apps w/o the need of closing the game, that would be enough for me. Since vita can do switching of apps, I would expect ps4 to do the same, though that "snap" sure is the better way of doing it.

damn imagine playing asouls game with this. Ain't no item hid enough.

jbug617

Banned
Penello tweeted yesterday that they were filming some videos and I believe they should be released next week. It could be UI videos.

Caayn

Isn't the point of the snap feature built around Kinect?
No.
Hell, the entire box is built around Kinect according to MS so why isn't it being shown that way?
People begged Microsoft to be able to unplug the Kinect. They're simply showing the Xbox One without the Kinect plugged in, at god knows where, nothing wrong with that. No need to start all sort of conspiracy theories about it.

Top Bottom