• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings - Season 4, Part 2 - Wednesdays on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The second half of the fourth season of everyone's favorite viking series returns Wednesday, November 30th at 9/8c. The fourth season consists of 20 one-hour long episodes - the first 10 aired earlier this year.

After being defeated in a monumental battle in Paris against his brother Rollo, Ragnar disappeared following his humiliating loss. Years later, Ragnar’s reappearance in Kattegat triggers a chain of events no one – except the Seer – could have ever imagined. He unexpectedly arrives home to see what has become of his sons and to handle unfinished business in Wessex with King Ecbert. Meanwhile, Lagertha plans a power play in Kattegat and Bjorn prepares to fulfill his long-held dream to explore the Mediterranean in a sleek new boat built for him by Floki.

Cast

• Ragnar claims to be an ancestor of the Norse god Odin–the god of slain warriors, but also the god of eternal curiosity.
  • King Ecbert has always anticipated that he must someday face the Vikings and is prepared with strategies as to how they can be used to his advantage.
  • Rollo has become the Duke of Normandy after marrying Princess Gisla and is named defender of France from the Vikings.
  • The daughter of Emperor Charles and a beautiful, young woman of considerable courage and resolution.

• Although fate has pulled Lagertha apart from Ragnar, it seems that the gods must have a plan to bring them back together, where they belong.
  • The first son of Ragar, Bjorn Ironside prepares to explore the Mediterranean in a sleek, new boat built for him by Floki.
  • Floki is a religious zealot who believes in the Gods above anything and everything, including Ragnar.
  • Queen Aslaug promised Ragnar that she would provide him with the sons which the ancient Seer prophesized for him–and she delivered.

• A son of Ragnar and Aslaug, Ivar the Boneless is perhaps the most famous Viking of all time - his pathological cruelty was notorious even during his own lifetime. Ivar is deeply ambitious and his ambitions will twist the legacy of his father out of shape, and create universal war.
  • Another son of Ragnar and Aslaug. Hvitserk and his older brother Ubbe have a special bond because when they were children they jumped together in an icy lake and had to be rescued by Siggy, who died in the attempt. Hvitserk is a complex and dark character, traits which become more pronounced in time.
  • The oldest son by Ragnar and Aslaug, Ubbe has a paternalistic attitude towards his younger brothers. Ubbe is a sensitive, thoughtful and attractive young man, in many ways the closest in outlook and instinct to his father Ragnar.
  • The youngest son by Ragnar and Aslaug, Sigurd Snake in the Eye was born with astigmatism in one eye, in the shape of a snake or dragon. This flaw has a damaging psychological impact on him, making him feel different from his older brothers and more estranged from the family. He is a sensitive young man, growing up feeling that he has to provide himself.

Other cast members include:

• Moe Dunford as Aethelwulf, faithful son of King Ecbert.
  • Jennie Jacques as Judith, the daughter of King Aelle and wife to Aethelwulf.
  • Lothaire Bluteau as Emperor Charles, a complex, troubled man, who has taken full credit for the defeat of the Vikings.
  • Peter Franzén as King Harold Finehair, a complex character who seeks to be King of Norway and a potential threat to Ragnar.
  • Jasper Pääkkönen as Halfdan The Black, King Harold’s violent younger brother.
  • John Kavanagh as The Seer, one of the most important figures in Viking life because the Vikings believe in fate and the Seer can read the runes and often translate the wishes of the gods.

1qTNaVs.jpg

Videos

Season 4.B Official Trailer

Behind the Scenes: The Scale of the Show
Behind the Scenes: Celebrating Viking History
Behind the Scenes: Vikings Stunt Coordination

Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Rollo
Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Floki
Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Bjorn
Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Ivar
Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Ubbe
Season 4 Character Catch-Up - Sigurd

Promo Photo

Window

History spoilers
So Ragnar's dying this season with Ivar taking the lead character mantle?
Either way trailer preview looks good and I'm keen to see how they deal with Ivar and Ragnar's relationship.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ready. My favorite show these days, by a mile. Can't wait to see what happens next. The first half of the season was a bit slow, but I have faith it'll pick up now.

Anyone have any idea what the plans for the fifth season are? They usually start airing at the end of february, but that seems a bit unlikely with ten episodes coming up now.

In.

Hopefully the second half of the season is good. I love that the women in the show don't seem to age while everyone else does. I keep expecting (History spoiler)
Ragnar to die, maybe it'll happen this time.

In.

Hopefully the second half of the season is good. I love that the women in the show don't seem to age while everyone else does. I keep expecting (History spoiler)
Ragnar to die, maybe it'll happen this time.

Katheryn posted some makeup to her Twitter/Instagram not too long ago made to make her look a lot older for what that's worth.

Funnier though is spotting many of the same background actors I worked with on season 2 survive the time skips unphased :p

I have enjoyed the show, but the crazy time jumps are getting to me

Is this the final season? The fact that we've seen all Ragnar's sons grow up at this point and he still mostly looks the same, really makes it strange for me.

Still really been enjoying this. But like I said before I'm likely not continuing once Ragnar dies. And I feel like this is the season where it happens.

I have enjoyed the show, but the crazy time jumps are getting to me

Is this the final season? The fact that we've seen all Ragnar's sons grow up at this point and he still mostly looks the same, really makes it strange for me.

There's a 5th season. Filming is still going on atm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone have any idea what the plans for the fifth season are? They usually start airing at the end of february, but that seems a bit unlikely with ten episodes coming up now.

They're doing the split 20 episode thing again for season 5, so they'll have to air the first batch of episodes within the first half of the year. If I had to guess, I'd say around March-April?

Tevious

Wait what? More Vikings episodes? I thought this season was done and we get an extra 10 episodes now? Sweet.

Edit: Forgot about the time jump. Hope it doesn't kill the show for me. They need to make the cast look older.

Guru-Guru

Banned
1st half of the season was very, very boring. Honestly, season 4 should have been 10-12 episodes, rather than the 20 episodes we get. So much bloat, shitty/pointless plotlines (i.e. the court "intrigue" in Normandy), and poor pacing. I don't have much optimism that this will improve anytime soon. Not sure if I will watch part 2 of this season.

Nere

Splitting the seasons into 2 parts and doubling the episodes was a big mistake but of course it was made in the name of money not because they had anything more to say and they couldn't say it in 10 episodes. What was the point of the Chinese girl and making Ragnar an addict? Nothing. Hope Part 2 improves because I really loved this series, will see.

He will die. If they're gonna keep it close to real history.
I didn't even realize this show was loosely based off anything until around when they first attacked Paris, and then I fell down the Wikipedia rabbit hole link after link.

That said, from my very brief research, isn't Ragnar one of the few characters in the show with no confirmation if he actually existed or not? If so, then are they really inclined to follow the legend of Ragnar? Though personally, as much as I love the portrayal, I wouldn't mind moving onto a new lead.

Shy

I didn't even realize this show was loosely based off anything until around when they first attacked Paris, and then I fell down the Wikipedia rabbit hole link after link.

That said, from my very brief research, isn't Ragnar one of the few characters in the show with no confirmation if he actually existed or not? If so, then are they really inclined to follow the legend of Ragnar? Though personally, as much as I love the portrayal, I wouldn't mind moving onto a new lead.
On the Vikings facebook, They posted a vid that was of a bed of snakes.

So i think they're going to stick to the legend.

It really felt like a while since I saw season 4(a). The recap episode they aired before it was handy. Thought it was a good return to the show. The newest episode does enough to set the stage for the rest of the season. Perhaps a slow enough episode but it feels like a lot of character development could be gleaned from it.

NeoGiff

I thought this episode was good and brought the series right back to its roots - the familial and friendly relations between the characters. The only sore spot for me was the Ivar sex scene. All of the stuff with Ragnar and his sons, Lagertha, and especially Floki, was enjoyable. It also helped that it was a very focussed hour and didn't randomly cut to Wessex or (gods forbid) Paris for no reason.

Window

So Ragnar is basically Odin now.

They completely spelled out Ivar's character huh? The thing which made Ragnar fascinating was his opacity. They also seem to be accentuating Ivar's blue eyes like they did with Ragnar's in earlier seasons.

Still, it was a decent episode.

harSon

Banned
So Ragnar is basically Odin now.

They completely spelled out Ivar's character huh? The thing which made Ragnar fascinating was his opacity. They also seem to be accentuating Ivar's blue eyes like they did with Ragnar's in earlier seasons.

Still, it was a decent episode.

Most of the sons eyes looked abnormally blue at times that episode

Shy

I don't know how historically accurate it is or isn't, but the show gave me the impression that sexuality is more of a fluid thing in that society than something easily labeled.
That's true.

Remember all the way back in season 1, when Ragnar and Lagertha had that threesome with Athelstan.

Dysun

The actor they chose for Ivar was a good pick, he is convincing in the role

Floki and Ragnar bff again

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know how historically accurate it is or isn't, but the show gave me the impression that sexuality is more of a fluid thing in that society than something easily labeled.
Sure but that just came out of nowhere suddenly in S4.2.

That's true.

Remember all the way back in season 1, when Ragnar and Lagertha had that threesome with Athelstan.
Er, they offered Athelstan to taunt him, but he was too Christian flustered and embarrassed to accept, no?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I found it rather boring... and why is Lagertha suddenly gay?

According to Katheryn Winnick:

"Lagertha has been betrayed by so many men throughout her life. Obviously, Ragnar cheated on her and asked her to be a second wife. Her second husband was abusive. Then Kalf, who she groomed to be a leader, tried to usurp her own rule. She had to kill him on their wedding day. So her relationship with men [wasn’t great]. I'm not sure she will ever trust a man again.

So it did make sense that she would find comfort in another human being and that that human being happened to be a woman. I don’t feel that Lagertha necessarily is a lesbian; I never played it that way. But she did find a love with Astrid that men have never been able to give her."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom