• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings Season V *Spoilers*

Kadayi

Banned
Has anyone else been watching this?

I can't say I haven't been enjoying it as bubblegum TV, despite the absence of Ragnar, but goddamn it the plot armour on characters is so ridiculously strong that the actual face-off battles themselves have become a bit of a joke (no one of import seems to die, it's always some red coat introduced a few episodes back). The whole section with Bjorn & Halfdan going to Sicily and beyond didn't seem to serve any great purpose either, save to put them out of the main storyline. Floki seems pretty much redundant and albeit it's cool that they've introduced Iceland with its amazing landscapes that plotline is leaden.

Honestly, I'm hoping that they turn it around going forward, but I'm struggling to see how and the fact that there's another season does make me wonder where they can go narratively without fully treading on the toes of BBC/Netflix 'The Last Kingdom' albeit from a purely Viking perspective.

I only lasted like four episodes after Ragnar died.... the cast just doesnt do it for me. I was hoping that the background characters would step up and become more interesting like with Spartacus but it just didnt happen

How Floki or Rollo were not killed seasons ago for their shenanigans i don't know...

Still the best scene ever in this show

Ragnar's vision

Kadayi

Banned
The big problem largely revolves around the ages of characters. If they had the sense they'd have aged out the main roles to older actors before bringing in the new because it's kind of hard to take Bjorn being Lagethas son all that seriously because Katheryn Winnick doesn't remotely look her age whatsoever (even though in reality there's a 15 year age gap between the actors). Still, worst for Jennie Jacques as Judith who at 28 looks totally out of place being a teenage Alfreds mother. They do a good job ageing everything up but the actors it seems.

I wouldn't say the show is irredeemable (I pushed through the weaker post-Ragnar episodes of Season 4 and kind of enjoyed it for the English Kings comeuppance), but this current series seems to have lost its way somewhat.

Apparently Season 6 heads to Russia. Not entirely sure how that factors in, though there is mention made in some of Bjorn's scenes of Russian Vikings reaching as far afield as the Mediterranean via the black sea (presumably).

ThisGuy

God I miss Ragnar. I haven't seen any of season 5 yet. Since his body, or the snakes weren't found in that pit, what are chances of him returning?

Also, I can't believe Ivar is a bad ass when he can't even satisfy a woman.

220px-Snake_eyes_dice.jpg

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Caught up with episodes 9 and 10. The Iceland storyline isn't particularly compelling (in large part because the characters are a tad too broad brush, but the war between Ivar and Lagatha is beginning to get more exciting and I'm curious to see what happens now Rollo has been re-introduced, and what his end goal might be.

Top Bottom