• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 360...is there something we dont know? (commercial)

Kiriku said:
Even though the commercial showed a lot of gameplay footage, the voice-over was just crap and it didn't really excite me for the game at all. FAIL

You haven't played a VF game before have you? VF have always had cheesy voice-overs.

zsidane

laceystorm said:
If the 360 version gets online it will be denied at this point so as not to interfere with PS3 sales.
Saying that the 360 version is cooming soon in the add supposed to promote the PS3 version isn't already interfering ?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DigitalSoul said:
You haven't played a VF game before have you? VF have always had cheesy voice-overs.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they have to use them in this commercial. :p

jarrod

Banned
My guess is that the LIVE component will include things like ghost/item up/downloads, and VF.TV integration. Basically the online equivalent of SEGA's VF.net initiative. There's also the opportunity for revision updates and tweaks, which is potentially a major advantage over the PS3 build.

I'd also expect the 360 port to be based off the just announced Version C revision.

Here's to hoping VF.TV (upload replays and character data to LIVE pls.) and all the other goodies that didn't show up in the PS3 home version of ver.B

I'll gladly buy another copy of VF5 on the 360 if it has a similar construct to VF.net

There's no reason why it wouldnt' be online for the 360. DoA4 while it wasn't nearly as complicated was pretty slick online if you had a good connection.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
HocusPocus said:
There's no reason why it wouldnt' be online for the 360. DoA4 while it wasn't nearly as complicated was pretty slick online if you had a good connection.

The reason is the developers just don't want to do it. So it won't be online.

Dali

shuri said:
I'm turning 26 soon. I have a life, and so do my friends. When we meet; we dont sit down to play videogames. And for some reasons, I dont think that they want to buy a console and learn a very complicated fighting game like vf5 just to play with me.

Online support would provide me with a steady flow of competent players at any time of the day, forever. I'm not even going to buy the game since it wont be online, even if I know that it is a good game. I can't be arsed; especially for a 360 game; it would be a waste of time and money.

Also the whole 'sega says its impossible' thing is just bullshit and a byproduct of lazyness and lack of foresight; a bunch of AMATEURS managed to add ONLINE SUPPORT on kaillera for games ranging from mother****ing PACMAN to MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 without having access to the source code, or anything, using mame and kaillera, and that for about A DECADE with more than decent results

Don't give me that bullshit, sega.

Agree with the problem with modern fighting game fans you've posed. I've played SF, Tekken, SC and VF (among other fighters) since their first rendition. I'm an above-average fighting game player. I know most of everyone's moves, a few combos with everyone, but like most people I have a couple of people in every game that I know slightly more advanced combos and strategies. I've never been so hardcore as to learn extreme things like frames of stun after a counter etc, but my passing knowledge of any fighter is better than the majority of my friend's. To them my mediocre skills make me god and if they do play a few rounds, they usually don't do it again.

As far as the kaillera client is concerned, it isn't that AM2/sega is incapable of online play. It is that they do not want VF to be online because of the lag issues. The developers have said that the lag would change the game to something other than VF. They may introduce an online fighter, but it wouldn't have the VF mantle. Even though people are playing 5-10 year old fighters on it, even kaillera has lag.

^ Sega's stubborn snobbery will cost them game sales, something they should've gotten over at this point. It's 2007, to release a fighting game without online play is simply negligent, they have to realize that the people who care about playing the game online obviously are willing to deal with the possibility of lag.

It would be much more productive to try, and then see what the fan reaction is, rather than simply throw your hands in the air and say "it can't be done", even though people have been playing DOA4, Guilty Gear XX, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter III online for years.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Nope. No Xbox Live logo on Ninety-Nine Nights or Project Sylpheed.

Don't know what is going on with Japan, but in USA and Europe all X360 games are Live Aware enabled.

My boxes of Condemend and Dead Rising have the Xbox Live logo on them, even though they are both single player experiences.

Expecting online play for VF5 is setting up for disappointment. But perhaps we'll be able to see leaderboards, trade ghost fighters, etc. online.

But will it use LOCK ON TECHNOLOGY when it comes out in May? Thats the question at hand. :lol I think SEGA was basing 6 month exclusivity on how well the ps3 version did japan or otherwise. With it doing not so hot in japan it's gotta get its other numbers somewhere. Maybe they tore a page out of capcoms book of success? If it comes out here early does that mean japan may also see a version of VF 360? Hmmmm... Oh and the online stuff better match the arcades data features.

gutter_trash said:
cancel your PS3 VF5 pre-orders!!!!! you can appear on the Leaderboards on the 360!!! in September

You're getting quite annoying. Nobody's (seriously) saying Leaderboards are worth the wait. But, for non-PS3 owners, it IS something else to look forward to.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gutter_trash said:
lol at all the high hopers
LIVE probably only means achievements and ghosts (maybe)

no vs online kiddies

I agree. It will almost certainly be achievements and maybe scoreboards etc., which is better than nothing.

But added (flawed) online play would still be better than none at all, wouldn't it? The reasons this keeps coming up have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, but I will say it again for the record.

* Since adding online would not change single screen gameplay, it would be an added bonus.
* Arcades are dead.
* Fighting games are dying on the vine because of lack of competition.
* Hardcore players are actually accelerating the decline by not only not demanding online play, but poo-poohing it at every opportunity.
* Developers have no real drive to build better netcode as a result - so the problem feeds itself.
* Lots of us had great or good experiences with online fighters.

gkryhewy

Stinkles said:
* Hardcore players are actually accelerating the decline by not only not demanding online play, but poo-poohing it at every opportunity.

I agree that this is a major problem. To some extent part of VF's appeal is the knowledge that there is a move which requires you to separate button presses by a single frame, but it's technical issues like this which make online play "impossible." On the other hand, are other online-enabled fighters selling? How did DOA4 do? If Sega's not going to sell THAT MANY more copies, then maybe it's worth their while, even financially, to preserve the VF 'aura.'

jarrod

Banned
Dali said:
As far as the kaillera client is concerned, it isn't that AM2/sega is incapable of online play. It is that they do not want VF to be online because of the lag issues. The developers have said that the lag would change the game to something other than VF. They may introduce an online fighter, but it wouldn't have the VF mantle. Even though people are playing 5-10 year old fighters on it, even kaillera has lag.
Actually, maybe they should revive Fighters Megamix to fill this role? They could reuse VF5 assets, update the FV2 crew, throw in some characters from other AM2 games (Virtua Cop, Shenmue, Space Harrier, Sonic Fighters, Quest of D, Vermillion, Rent-A-Hero, Dynamite Dux, Flicky, Virtua Quest, etc, etc) and call it a day. I bet it'd do pretty well too.

Bebpo

Banned
ichigo kurosaki said:
When I said it would be Live enabled nobody believed me. Ahm, you'll learn who to trust next time!!! /waving punch in the air

You said there would be online vs. because your friends told you so and complained why didn't the PS3 version have the same online vs. that the X360 one would.

You're still wrong and your friends are still pulling your leg :p

Dali

jarrod said:
Actually, maybe they should revive Fighters Megamix to fill this role? They could reuse VF5 assets, update the FV2 crew, throw in some characters from other AM2 games (Virtua Cop, Shenmue, Space Harrier, Sonic Fighters, Quest of D, Vermillion, Rent-A-Hero, Dynamite Dux, Flicky, Virtua Quest, etc, etc) and call it a day. I bet it'd do pretty well too.

Sounds good to me... only make it sans Virtua Quest and Sonic Fighters, but with Kazama.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gkrykewy said:
I agree that this is a major problem. To some extent part of VF's appeal is the knowledge that there is a move which requires you to separate button presses by a single frame, but it's technical issues like this which make online play "impossible." On the other hand, are other online-enabled fighters selling? How did DOA4 do? If Sega's not going to sell THAT MANY more copies, then maybe it's worth their while, even financially, to preserve the VF 'aura.'

DOA4 sold more than a million units. I think that's a combination of factors and it would be naive to suggest it sold that well because it was online enabled. But it didn't hurt. DOA feels different online, and that's fine - a happy compromise. It's frame-perfect offline.

Bebpo said:
You said there would be online vs. because your friends told you so and complained why didn't the PS3 version have the same online vs. that the X360 one would.

You're still wrong and your friends are still pulling your leg :p

Lol... we'll see in a couple months time. But I'll admit I'm surprised by your fast answer, do you have some kind of sixth sense or something? You knew I was coming, right? Lol

Barnolde

Banned
Skilletor said:
Is there ANY 360 game that doesn't have the live symbol on it? Serious question, I don't know.

Only a few I can think of offhand; Just Cause, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Dynasty Warriors 5. Those games are Live Aware ONLY. Whilst 1 player games like Condemned and Dead Rising have leaderboards/DLC and thus have the Xbox Live tag on them.

Forgotten Ancient said:
You're getting quite annoying. Nobody's (seriously) saying Leaderboards are worth the wait. But, for non-PS3 owners, it IS something else to look forward to.

if you ain't noticed, it's an angry sarcastic reply to all the people who say "no online, no buy" and all the crap that spews out of their mouths

the discussion of online has gotten a little over-stretched and some people have not sinked into their heads that Virtua Fighter and Tekken will never EVER have VS Online play this Gen

Dali

ichigo kurosaki said:
Lol... we'll see in a couple months time. But I'll admit I'm surprised by your fast answer, do you have some kind of sixth sense or something? You knew I was coming, right? Lol

I'm shocked that you are holding on to hope. Your friends must have run some really good game on you.

gutter_trash said:
if you ain't noticed, it's an angry sarcastic reply to all the people who say "no online, no buy" and all the crap that spews out of their mouths

the discussion of online has gotten a little over-stretched and some people have not sinked into their heads that Virtua Fighter and Tekken will never EVER have VS Online play this Gen

Whoa wait a minute... how did Tekken get added to this whole sordid issue. Did Namco say with their own mouths that it would never happen, as was the case with VF? I think Tekken online is a definite possibility this gen, although we probably won't see it in Tekken 6.

Bebpo

Banned
ichigo kurosaki said:

Nope, but I know who your friends are ;)

Dali said:
I'm shocked that you are holding on to hope. Your friends must have run some really good game on you.

Nah, not really. Don't even have an Xbox360 and couldn't care less about the game having an online mode or not. I'm just saying it will.

Dali said:

Whoa wait a minute... how did Tekken get added to this whole sordid issue. Did Namco say with their own mouths that it would never happen, as was the case with VF? I think Tekken online is a definite possibility this gen, although we probably won't see it in Tekken 6.

who advertises 6 months ahead? :lol again, sonic the hedgehog had no mention of the ps3 version even though it was originally scheduled to come out within weeks of the xbox version. Rampant Speculation? Hmmmm...

Dali said:

if you think VF purists are hardcore about their frames, then you haven't met the Tekken purists yet.

gutter_trash said:
cancel your PS3 VF5 pre-orders!!!!! you can appear on the Leaderboards on the 360!!! in September

I love leaderboards... on Lumines Live on the XBLA I am always checking out my friends high scores and trying to 1up them. It really improves the lenght of the game.

Of course someone who hasn't play on Xbox Live and whatnot wouldn't understand this.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Sony in Europe :lol

That was a good one :lol

PS: what's even funnier is that slightly over one month till the system's launch they haven't started their actual advertising campaign... where's the sense in that?

Dali

gutter_trash said:
if you think VF purists are hardcore about their frames, then you haven't met the Tekken purists yet.

Tekken isn't nearly as frame dependant as VF. It is the middle ground to DOA's brain-dead button mashing and VF's fighting sim. Tekken seems much more online friendly than VF would be, and unlike Sega, Namco loves da money.

Imo, you shouldn't advertise another version of the game so soon when you want it to sell abundantly on the console that is supposed to have it first. Also, I am so sick of hearing this game stinks because there is, "no online play". Yes, admittedly it would of been nice to have, but it isn't mandatory for every game for it too be good or to have replay value. DOA: Ultimate had online play yet it sold significantly worse than DOA3 and I even think SC2 outsold it anyway? The fact that Sega is letting the world know that this supposed "BIG" PS3 title is coming to X360 soon this early will hurt their PS3 sales worst than lack of online play imo.

Karma Kramer said:
I love leaderboards... on Lumines Live on the XBLA I am always checking out my friends high scores and trying to 1up them. It really improves the lenght of the game.

Of course someone who hasn't play on Xbox Live and whatnot wouldn't understand this.
when the Q*bert PSN download shows up, I will be in the top 10 leaderboards :p

gkryhewy

gutter_trash said:

While this is a good point, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with your original annoying reply, which dismissed the worth of leaderboards and such when the PS3 version is out now.

segasonic

Stinkles said:
DOA4 sold more than a million units. I think that's a combination of factors and it would be naive to suggest it sold that well because it was online enabled. But it didn't hurt. DOA feels different online, and that's fine - a happy compromise. It's frame-perfect offline.
shipped != sold

Rhazer Fusion said:
Imo, you shouldn't advertise another version of the game so soon when you want it to sell abundantly on the console that is supposed to have it first. The fact that Sega is letting the world know that this supposed "BIG" PS3 title is coming to X360 soon this early will hurt their PS3 sales worst than lack of online play imo.

not to beat a dead horse but maybe its because its coming sooner than we thought?

jarrod

Banned
Yama said:
Truth is, C > B. :p

Rhazer Fusion said:
The fact that Sega is letting the world know that this supposed "BIG" PS3 title is coming to X360 soon this early will hurt their PS3 sales worst than lack of online play imo.
SEGA's taking lessons from Capcom I see. :lol

Mrbob

WasteLand Soldier said:
not to beat a dead horse but maybe its because its coming sooner than we thought?

I hope so because VF5 360 is tentatively scheduled for the end of August, and August is Madden time.

the "coming soon to 360" logo doesn't hurt the game's potential sales at all

it only hurts potential PS3 console sales from already 360 owners

I don't understand why there can't be some sort of disclaimer pop-up window the first time online play is used, or even something in the manual, that notes the difficulties with translating over frame-perfect play to the internet. The point has been made many times, and I'll make it again: the vast majority of us would still have fun, and slightly fewer will not even notice the damn difference.

Xamdou

Alright if you look behind the cases of your Xbox 360 games that require online multiplayer, It says:
Xbox Live System Requirements with Xbox 360 & games: Paid Subscription required for online multiplayer, Co-Op and some downlaods.

This Xbox Live quote is even stamped behind my Enchanted Arms case because there is 1v1 online duel.

Now for games that don't have online multiplayer like my Ninety-Nine-Nights game it does not have the Xbox Live info in the quote above.

Xbox Live notice in the back of every case means online multi-player so I am sure Virtua Fighter 5 for the Xbox 360 will have it after seeing it on the commercial.

painey

S8 RoXoRz said:
Xbox Live notice in the back of every case means online multi-player so I am sure Virtua Fighter 5 for the Xbox 360 will have it after seeing it on the commercial.

It says that on my dead rising case, which only has DLC and Leaderboards. It even says that on my Tomb Raider legend box which has absolutely 0 online content.

Xamdou

painey said:
It says that on my dead rising case, which only has DLC and Leaderboards. It even says that on my Tomb Raider legend box which has absolutely 0 online content.

Oh well nvm my post then. But really though Every fighting game for the 360 has online multi-player and if VF5 doesn't have that when the 360 version launches it will most likely hurt it's sales.

Barnolde

Banned
200125b.jpg
vs
200253b.jpg

Condemnedboxart_160w.jpg
vs
hitmanbloodmoney_xbox360boxboxart_160w.jpg

No online multiplayer here.

To further analyze:
Dead Rising has DLC and Leaderboards.
Condemned has Leaderboards.
Hitman has Live Aware only (though the XB version has Leaderboards)
VF5 will most likely have Leaderboards and maybe some DLC.

gutter_trash said:
who is the hypocrite now. You complained about people being a hypocrite for waiting. Now you are complaining, that people are happy about the live aspect. Just admit you are bias. :)

LJ11

Karma Kramer said:

Yeah, Lumines Live is great! Your score resets every ****ing week. Love that shit. 2 hours + trying to get close to my high score. Worst example ever Kramer.

Edit: I would love some VF5 online versus, but I doubt we will see it.

Top Bottom