• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Hey folks, I'll be hosting another room on PSN today, this time around 20h/8 PM 18h/6 PM Eastern Time. If you want to join in, just post in the thread or send me a message. I'll try to stream some of the matches this time around, although I'll cut the feed if it messes with the connection too badly. I'll post the link for the stream later, when the room's up.

AAK

T13 was done, here are the results:

1. Tee-vo (Vanessa)
2. Hermes? (Pai)
3. Watchtower (Aoi)
4. AAK (Aoi/Sarah)
5. Dark death (Jean)
6. B4K4 (Shun)
7. ??? (Lion/Wolf)
8.??? (Akira)

Everything was best out of 5.

Played Watchtower first round in an Aoi mirror match and he ripped me apart. He did some really interesting thing. I think her f+k knee juggles on counter hit and option selects by delaying the p right after knee which knockds down face down feet away which guarantees the down grab which for some reason I couldn't break despite mashign d+p+g. He had other good stuff but that was the biggest difference. Switched to Sarah and got 1 game in with some pressure and flamingo mixups landing that gut stun d/f+k from her Flamingo stance. But still in the end he modified his gameplan turtling a lot more and grabbed me to death losing 3-1.

Next match was against the Lion player. I stuck with Aoi against his Lion and beat him out because he loved to wakeup kick, and Aoi's f,f+k worked wonders for baited wakeup attacks. He switched to Wolf and got a match, but I adjusted. Won 3-1.

The next match was probably my most satisfying and favorite match I played out of the entire tournament (Even though Tekken was my main game, I was really unsatisfied with my performance, I was too rusty and my execution sucked). I fought B4K4 next using Shun. I stuck with Sarah against him because I have no clue how to fight characters like Shun/Pai/Lei Fei. I whore out flip kick against those characters. I won mainly by spacing better and landing a bunch of f,f+k and f+p+k+g,d+k mixups and blocking Shuns low range mid punch into the low sweep he loved to use and punished accordingly with Sarah's ws+k,k since I wasn't confident in punishing it with a generic launcher because of how weird Shun's block stun hitbox is after that move. But still he did good stuff and landed a bunch of throws. Flipkick definitely helped me out in magnitudes whenever I had no idea what Shun was doing and in the end it went to last game, last round. Chipped the guy with a low (I think it was d+k+g) to get the game. That was cool. Won 3-2.

Had to get a runback against Watchtower and couldn't even get a single game off of him. He just read me through and through. Had to resort to unsafe desparation things thinking it would throw him off guard but it was too solid. I don't think I even got a round & lost 3-0. After I was eliminated I had to run to take care of Tekken commentary but Tee-vo (who was the VF tournament supervisor as well) told me the results after. It was good stuff and I had fun. I'm gonna keep playing this game when I get the time.

Kruza

Played Watchtower first round in an Aoi mirror match and he ripped me apart. He did some really interesting thing. I think her f+k knee juggles on counter hit and option selects by delaying the p right after knee which knockds down face down feet away which guarantees the down grab which for some reason I couldn't break despite mashign d+p+g.

Aoi's ground throws can be executed by inputting either d+P+G or d/f+P+G. That guy you played in this mirror match was likely inputting the d/f+P+G command since you mentioned that you did not input this particular one when trying to escape any of the ground throw attempts.

Kruza

alstein

Ugh- the worst feeling is when you know you're playing well, and yet you're still getting destroyed. I think I ran into the top French Aoi and got destroyed.

alstein

Online sucks with 2bar connections. Block Goh's knee. Punish with P K (NOPE, I got low punched for counter) :(

I don't have a problem PK'ing a knee even on a 1 bar.

I do sometimes have problems getting perfect frame punishes , which really hurts with Jeff on knee launches, I have to go 3PP instead, but that's mostly at 1 bar.

alstein

Because I don't want folks to see misinformation and think this game is garbage online, when it's one of the better online fighters out there. Also, the game is less impacted by lag than most other fighters.

It is not misinformation. I've eaten standing jabs after blocking jumping knees. The game is not garbage but there are situations where punishes don't work properly due to latency. Hell i've had a 2 bar connection where i couldn't block the low kick at the end of lau's ppp 2+K string.

Contrarian.

Doomshine

Online sucks with 2bar connections. Block Goh's knee. Punish with P K (NOPE, I got low punched for counter) :(

It's been a while since I played but I'm struggling to think of a knee Goh has that's P K punishable.

..but yeah, my experience playing the game online was that anything below 5 had the potential to be bad. 4 seems to cover a broad range of connections.

You're right i checked the frame it is -9 on block. Wow i assumed that since it gets so much life on CH that it must be at least more than -11 on guard.

My point still stands. The online game suffers with not being able to punish due to latency.

Also it seems in this version of the game, at least compared to VF4:EVO, that punishable moves are harder to recognize. Like lots of moves that you wouldn't think were -10 are -10 and so on.

Unrelated note, I suck at execution; halp plz.
Most important thing is to let the stick return to neutral after 3 p+k+g. Everything gets easier after that. Still, my execution with this move is still awful, maybe a 20% completion rate, with 60% getting to the third stage.
So I was getting better at the execution on this thing but that was two weeks ago and now I can't do it at all again. I get 3P+K+G and 43P+K just fine but it's the 236P that kills me. How am I supposed to let the stick return to neutral and pull off 236P in the short time I'm allotted? I keep getting 6P instead of 236P. I'm terrible at execution on stick in general and I don't know how to get better.

So I was getting better at the execution on this thing but that was two weeks ago and now I can't do it at all again. I get 3P+K+G and 43P+K just fine but it's the 236P that kills me. How am I supposed to let the stick return to neutral and pull off 236P in the short time I'm allotted? I keep getting 6P instead of 236P. I'm terrible at execution on stick in general and I don't know how to get better.

236P? what move is that? Is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9jm6lbJj54&t=00m52s

If you've got the 3P+K+G and 43P+K down, then you've got the hardest part out of the way.

Motion should go like this:

3P+K+G->0(neutral)->43P+K->214P->64P+K

The only part you need to go to neutral for is before the 43P+K. I think this has something to do with how auto-comboes on hit start in Virtua Fighter. It's the same for K+P+G->43P+G as well, it goes much better if you drop quickly back to neutral.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

You don't have to use this move at all to win with him though. Practicing the one frame knee would probably be more useful. Akira's got good guardbreaks that are easy to execute if you know the opponent will block (2+P+K+G or 6+P+K+G).

Also you can do the qcf or qcb for the third stick input. depending on how my stick shifts on my lap sometimes it's easier to do the qcb+p

Kruza

No, no, no. I'm trying to do his 3P+K+G 43P+K 236P 46P+K and trying to get the 236P portion of that string consistently is nay impossible for me. I keep getting 6P instead. I've tried on both square and octagonal gates.

I'm not 100% familiar with Akira's move list. But from what you have posted here on trying the execute the Guard Break of Doom, it seems to me that the elbow is coming out instead because you're starting the 236P command a tad early, and this is one of the few instances that a move cannot be buffered in before it actually happens on screen. So as a result, the 2~3 input is just not being read by the system.

Kruza

Nope, Kruza. You can do the GBOD with fastest input possible and it will come out. The inputs have to be clean. I do it seamlessly after the first move i go to the next. By the third hit i'm already done with the fourth input.

It is just like SPOD. You can input it with no breaks in between inputs

Kruza

Nope, Kruza. You can do the GBOD with fastest input possible and it will come out. The inputs have to be clean. I do it seamlessly after the first move i go to the next. By the third hit i'm already done with the fourth input.

It is just like SPOD. You can input it with no breaks in between inputs

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction, Mr. Rellik.

Well in that case grap3fruitman, you'll have to figure out where you are making the mistakes in your command inputs. The first step is to go into the free training part of the dojo and bring up the menu. Highlight 'Display settings', then change Information display to 'Input display'. This feature will show exactly what directional inputs and button inputs the system is reading on the left side of the screen.

The meaning of P, K, G and the arrows are self-explanatory.

The value of the numbers indicate frame duration. 999 is the highest recorded value.

white number - number of frames when controller is in neutral or idle position (no direction or button is being inputted)

yellow number - number of frames when a direction and/or button is being inputted

For an example, if you see "50 (white), 10 (yellow) P (blue) K (red)" on the same line it means: controller sat in idle position for 50 frames, then the punch and kick buttons are pressed down together for the following 10 frames.

Try to perform the first three parts of Akira's GBOD repeatedly (up to 236P) and ignore the final part for the moment. Carefully monitor and memorize what the input display shows after a successful attempt. Then you'll be able to pinpoint what command input mistakes you're making that leads to that elbow coming out.

Kruza

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
i swear, if i have to say this again im gonna flip my shit:

i retired from tourneys - i still play, hell i paid for 2 copies of this game, im gonna play these fuckers!

Shouta

First time I've heard. Don't think you posted it here, har.

But we don't have enough VF5 tournys in general. Or at least, not enough tournys with solid numbers to get the hype going.

I wish more people played. =(

alstein

First time I've heard. Don't think you posted it here, har.

But we don't have enough VF5 tournys in general. Or at least, not enough tournys with solid numbers to get the hype going.

I wish more people played. =(

I think VF is doing well enough- the folks who play VF are dedicated enough that they aren't bleeding players as much as some games. It's never going to be a massive game like SF or Marvel, but it doesn't have to be as long as it survives and I can find comp online.

I'm largely retired from tournies myself, though I am hitting NEC next month to complete the circle (and see some folks)

15 years of tournies is long enough, and my wish is to lose to Valle in ST if he shows, since my first tourney loss ever was to John Choi, that would be the perfect circle complete.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I played some online today for the first time in a few months(just had a new baby). Was impressed to still see people playing on XBL, even more surprised that I held my own. Good stuff. Happy to see it still alive.

So I'm thinking about quitting Akira.

He's clearly a good character and I've seen Japanese players do wonders with him, but I'm really doubting if he's the S-tier that he has been ranked as. He has two significant weaknesses, including: almost no low game and no quick and reliable mids. His most reliable low attack is 23P+K (the low shoulder), but you have to briefly hold down the 2 here so it doesn't always come out reliably. For mids obviously he has elbow, which can be useful sometimes, but if the opponent blocks it, you're back to square one. Other characters can enter strings off a mid and mix up the opponent, leading to juicy opportunities.

His unblockables are good on paper, but the range for 6PGK is very short and I can't reliably get the 3PGK combo off in actual matches. Then you throw in the inevitable lag of online play and the one frame link for 6PGK is harder to hit.

The other problem I have with Akira is his reliance on moves that start with 3 and 1, which I cannot for the life of me pull off on the 2P side (I know, I suck).

I switched over to Brad last night, tested out a lot of combos then went online for some matches. I was already doing about as good as I do with Akira, mainly because of how much defense I learned while playing him. Brad has a lot of easy guaranteed damage. If I block a move that's +15 on block, Brad's almost always going to hit with 6P+K or other moves. Just that ability to punish on block reliably gives me so much more confidence.

Anyways I'm sure I'll come to know Brad's weaknesses as I get better with him, but for now I vastly prefer him to Akira. grap3fruitman I know you were having a time with Akira, so consider switching characters.

alstein

Oh he's S tier. He doesn't need lows to make people duck- he has that BS guard break and great throws. Lack of lows doesn't hurt him like it does Jeff (and Akira has better lows than Jeff)

Akira has awesome mids. Spod, yoho, elbow, super dashing elbow, 1 frame knee, 66 P+K into his stance guessing game, dbl palm to catch backdashers, 46 P+K, P+K, while crouching 3+P+K (better if you crouch dash into it). His only weakness is how linear he is. If you guess your opponent will step wait and hit them for launcher or throw during the failed evade.

adverse what's your gamertag and system?

soakrates

Glad to see this thread's still active. In case anyone here hasn't heard, Sega recently posted a job opening for a position working on the Virtua Fighter series: http://virtuafighter.com/threads/se...d-related-to-the-virtua-fighter-series.17024/

VF6 announcement imminent?

Akira's only real "problem" is that he's somewhat linear. He has no good full circulars to speak of, if I recall. Not that it really matters, because this throw game is amazing. That said, you still need solid fundamentals to win with him.

Hard to go wrong with Brad, though.

Shouta

gg Alstein. I'm hella rusty right now. Been about 3 weeks or so since I've touched any VF. I'm dropping too much stuff and second-guessing my own timing, lol.

Just informing those that may be still on the fence:

The Complete Version of Final Showdown is currently $15 Psn bones for PlayStation Plus members and $20 for everyone else until next Tuesday.

Complete Version =all DLC

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I was going to host a room tomorrow night on PSN, but I have to go out. I'll post here again if I can host on Sunday evening.

AAK

I need to get back into this game. Please do send me invites on PSN even if I'm playing Tekken. It's been too long and there so much fun to be had with this gem. Also Kyoouji, I know it's real hard for you cause it's so far but there is going to be a semi-big tournament in Toronto on December 15-16. I will hopefully be going.

I need to get back into this game. Please do send me invites on PSN even if I'm playing Tekken. It's been too long and there so much fun to be had with this gem. Also Kyoouji, I know it's real hard for you cause it's so far but there is going to be a semi-big tournament in Toronto on December 15-16. I will hopefully be going.
Sure, I have been playing it lately and I miss it a lot too...

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
If anyone wants to play on PSN tonight, post in here and I'll host a room. I'm on the East Coast.

AAK: I probably won't be able to make it, but I'll ask around to see if anyone else is interested in going, who knows. If you want to practice for it, lemme know, I'll be glad to do whatever I can to help! =)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

Toronto is lucky I'm not going :)

Top Bottom