• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
More than a little disappointed that VF6 didn't show up at JAEPO.

Still... that AM2 new hire presumably started work at the beginning of this month, so all hope is not lost?

oneida

So...

A few months ago AM2 hired a VF fan for a job that started at the beginning of this month.

In 2 months, SEGA is hosting a VF tournament. Big room with 128 VF fans and thousands watching at home.

Good time to announce a December release date for VF6, just in time for VF's 20th anniversary?

If only . . . :(

AAK

PSN: AAK0924

I made a VF specific PSN too: AAK924 just because of Sega's stupid decision to only allow me to fight canadians or the rest of the world, so this is my US account, but I'm 99.9% on my account above.

alstein

I'm going to have to decide last minute on Sega Cup- asked for time off from work and was told they couldn't give me an answer until April 1st at least.

I still play like mad: PSN is ArchdukeAlstein

oneida

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is on sale for 400 points on XBLA from today through March 3rd.

If you are a new player reading this thread because you would like to get into Virtua Fighter, here are some resources which will be very helpful to you:

- Akai's "5 Steps to Learning Virtua Fighter" thread on VFDC
This should be your first stop. Simple and easy-to-understand walkthrough of the game's mechanics and a good introduction to what you should be paying attention to while playing VF5FS.

- Sega's twelve volume tutorial video series
This takes you from basic system mechanics through character walkthroughs. A pretty good tutorial which you should take the time to watch.

- DandyJ's 2h40m video tutorial
This tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Virtua Fighter. Take the time to watch it. Listen to it in the car during long commutes. Revisit it in a few months to better your understanding of the topics discussed. This is a great video.

- UltrachenTV's VF5FS episode featuring LA Akira (Part 1, Part 2)
A terrific beginner's guide, very easy to understand and entertaining.

- And, of course, the in-game tutorial.

Think about what you're doing, don't get frustrated, and have fun learning Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown.

As a VF (and general fighting game) newb, I can honestly say most of those resources aren't intended for actual newbs. I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to people who are already experienced but you don't start learning math by learning all of math theory, you start with 1+1=2.

DRE Fei

As a VF (and general fighting game) newb, I can honestly say most of those resources aren't intended for actual newbs. I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to people who are already experienced but you don't start learning math by learning all of math theory, you start with 1+1=2.

You can always use the in-game tutorial which starts at the most basic level.

oneida

These are the resources I used to learn the game.

- DandyJ's 2h40m video tutorial
This tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Virtua Fighter. Take the time to watch it. Listen to it in the car during long commutes. Revisit it in a few months to better your understanding of the topics discussed. This is a great video.

Just wanted to say I found this video really useful. I know the basic rules of VF, but a refresher like this helped me get clarity on a lot of system intricacies.

Thanks!

oneida

Just wanted to say I found this video really useful. I know the basic rules of VF, but a refresher like this helped me get clarity on a lot of system intricacies.

Thanks!
I feel like everytime I revisit this video, it gets the gears turning again. Like two days ago I listened to it in the car on the ride to/from work and by the time I got home I had a ton of stuff to practice in training mode and a few sideturned setups to mess around with. I'm glad you liked it!

It was great hanging out with fellow VF'ers again, and meeting new ones as well. The turn out was rather amazing. So was the skill level. I had a lot of fun, especially with the NoCal crew. Great guys over there, and amazing area as well(The Bay). Even though I was rusty as hell, it was great playing again. Me and Akuma have all the knowledge in are heads, but kept dropping combos, or in make my case, leaving too much damage at the floor, lol. Looks like I'll playing hard again. Props too all the Blaze players(All 5 of us, lol), we almost made it out of are pools, but we got jinx once we got streamed. And Femto looks like Magnus, lol. Shouta looks like he could be a Yakuza boss, and Akuma 001 like a Hitman. Cool guys all around. I'll most likely see all you guys again. peace.

Shouta

Shit, now that I think about it. We could start our own El Blaze mafia. I need to get the suits and practice the look a bit though.

But yeah, ridiculous concentration of El Blazes this weekend. I had some good mirror matches against Akum001 but I was kinda of dropping shit like crazy. My K, K, K follow ups wouldn't land at all and I was just being derpy as fuuuck. I can practice some of the spacing stuff I picked up from watching Akuma though, I'll be able to use that a bit more with 2,6P+K and 4,6P+K to fish for combos that I need.

Was it your match that got home-buttoned on stream? If so, I gotta apologize for that man, lol. I was trying to get my pad working for my Loser's bracket match and Valle's PS3 (as it was labeled Valle's PS3) had issues recognizing it. Reset it thinking it'd work and yeah... it was still connected to the stream PS3.

Shit, now that I think about it. We could start our own El Blaze mafia. I need to get the suits and practice the look a bit though.

But yeah, ridiculous concentration of El Blazes this weekend. I had some good mirror matches against Akum001 but I was kinda of dropping shit like crazy. My K, K, K follow ups wouldn't land at all and I was just being derpy as fuuuck. I can practice some of the spacing stuff I picked up from watching Akuma though, I'll be able to use that a bit more with 2,6P+K and 4,6P+K to fish for combos that I need.

Was it your match that got home-buttoned on stream? If so, I gotta apologize for that man, lol. I was trying to get my pad working for my Loser's bracket match and Valle's PS3 (as it was labeled Valle's PS3) had issues recognizing it. Reset it thinking it'd work and yeah... it was still connected to the stream PS3.

LOL, yeah, Akuma told me, lol. It threw me off, but still. Phanatic was a better player regardless. He never stop playing the game since it dropped. I'm going to rematch him again, great guy. At the end of it, we;re fam. Me and Akuma are going to not going to fuck around anymore. We know we're better than that.

alstein

Really upset work kept me from going. That said, I know I would have gotten super salty if I had went and gone 0-2.

That said, so tempted to try and switch to Vanessa, who just seems like a better Jeff in most aspects.

oneida

Really upset work kept me from going. That said, I know I would have gotten super salty if I had went and gone 0-2.

That said, so tempted to try and switch to Vanessa, who just seems like a better Jeff in most aspects.

I went 0-2

and

I had an amazing time and plan on hitting NWM if enough people are attending. The pools were tough - I got sent to losers by Dennis on stream and eliminated by rickstah (a Tekken player, I gather) off stream. I played casuals the rest of the day, went to LA Akira's place on Sunday and played all day there too. Shoutouts to BLACKSTAR, Shidosha, and Chanchai for being super helpful and for all the good matches. It was a really, really great weekend and as an 0-2er I gotta say you missed out man. Hope you can make it to SC2014!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, this game is like 70% off I believe on PSN.
There's the basic game at €6 or so and then the "bundle" package for like €12.
The difference is the the latter has all the costumes and items or also more characters? The description on PSN isn't clear, since it mentions 19 characters with 3 new fighters added (to VF5 itself or exclusive to the bundle?!) for the Bundle package but nothing of the sort is said in the "barebones" version's description.

Can I just buy the basic game if I'm not interested in customizing the fighters? I just have €7 on my PSN wallet at the mo, I'd prefer not having to fork more money for a new PSN card

AAK

Yes, you still get the complete "game" with the basic bundle. The extra pack contains all of the customizations of all the characters and single player mode called a special sparring mode (?) I think. Forgot the name. But it is a series of fights all with their own theme and the opponents dressing to that theme. But you will be able to play online, offline, and in practice mode with all the characters with their entire movelists intact with any version you buy.

Although the customization is pretty addictive ;)

Dash Kappei

Yes, you still get the complete "game" with the basic bundle. The extra pack contains all of the customizations of all the characters and single player mode called a special sparring mode (?) I think. Forgot the name. But it is a series of fights all with their own theme and the opponents dressing to that theme. But you will be able to play online, offline, and in practice mode with all the characters with their entire movelists intact with any version you buy.

Although the customization is pretty addictive ;)

Awesome, thanks!
Gonna get it now! I was afraid the tutorial mode was missing or maybe characters. No doubt the custom items are rad but I have no funds :p

Nyawu

Neo Member
No, again I'm not the one who's generalizing. Yes I do recall some prominent users in particular on Zaibatsu like Nyawu among others talking trash about VF with his rhetoric and such but for him i can name many other prominent members that defended and even started with VF like Exalted, among many others. You're assuming because a certain handful of vocal people represent everyone. Hell, Ryan Hart started with Tekken and he also loves VF. I also know a bunch of posters on Zaibatsu that talked about certain aspects like the aesthetic in a negetive perspective and such but that's not equating to hating the game. So again, take this comment of yours: And take it back to whatever abyss of bias you indulge in.

A little late, but just wanted to clear up my name. I think I have less than 100 posts on zaibatsu... most of which were prob in the tech area about monitors, sticks, etc. The rest were in cal poly thread asking people to play. I'm hardly a "prominent member".

Also, I don't ever recall talking trash about VF.... if anything the only thing I said that's even remotely negative was me not liking the ground game (as a personal preference, not dissing the game), but that's hardly bad. Maybe technical comparison between the games (like throw system differences, off axis, etc), but again, nothing bad. One of my first combo videos was a VF one, and I enjoyed playing VF at Arcade Infinity, sometimes with the local scene, when it was there. (If anything, I play more SC than TK lol)

=/ Just wanted to clear that up, don't want to meet some random user in the future and be recalled as "that prominent TZ user nyawu who talked trash about VF".

AAK

A little late, but just wanted to clear up my name. I think I have less than 100 posts on zaibatsu... most of which were prob in the tech area about monitors, sticks, etc. The rest were in cal poly thread asking people to play. I'm hardly a "prominent member".

Also, I don't ever recall talking trash about VF.... if anything the only thing I said that's even remotely negative was me not liking the ground game (as a personal preference, not dissing the game), but that's hardly bad. Maybe technical comparison between the games (like throw system differences, off axis, etc), but again, nothing bad. One of my first combo videos was a VF one, and I enjoyed playing VF at Arcade Infinity, sometimes with the local scene, when it was there. (If anything, I play more SC than TK lol)

=/ Just wanted to clear that up, don't want to meet some random user in the future and be recalled as "that prominent TZ user nyawu who talked trash about VF".

Holy shit, it's you! Sorry man, it wasn't from TekkenZaibatsu, it was in the IGN Tekken boards around 2003-2004 where a VF vs Tekken thread came up. I was lumping all the boards GameFAQS, IGNBoards, and Tekken Zaibatsu into one. And I am sorry for a calling it "Trash Talking" It was a technical discussion going on back then but during the conversation at the time I made that post I did sensationalize it.

BTW man, I dunno if you remember me but I was khanammar_a back in the IGN boards around 2003 and this was back when I barely knew anything about Tekken and you helped me level up to where I am now. :)

Nyawu

Neo Member
Ah, no problems then. I'm glad you leveled up lol. I pretty much stopped playing any other fighter besides SC though. I do watch VF streams though, I live in norcal now, where there's a pretty healthy VF scene.

Nice to see old faces still playing fighting games. =)

Dash Kappei

Bought the game during the sale and I still have to fire it up once.
I've always sucked at 3D fighters, what's the best way to learn VF? I've got an arcade stick compatible with PS3, is it easier to play with the DS3 instead? Hopefully not.

oneida

Bought the game during the sale and I still have to fire it up once.
I've always sucked at 3D fighters, what's the best way to learn VF? I've got an arcade stick compatible with PS3, is it easier to play with the DS3 instead? Hopefully not.
Pretty much everything you will ever need to know. A tutorial that will take you from beginner to Chibita. So comprehensive that you should revisit it many times throughout your VF journey.

For now, watch like half of it and absorb as much as you can. Play the game for a few days, then watch the whole video.

BadWolf

Anyone still play this on PSN?

I primarily play KOFXIII and would like to get into another fighter, VF5FS is pretty much the only other one that I find interesting out of the current fighters.

If another noob, or someone who doesn't mind mauling a noob, wants to play then please add me on PSN, my ID is Diavlestein. I'm located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Can probably play with people from US and other places too (don't really care as long as the connection isn't too laggy).

Please note that my rank seems kind of high (at least to me anyway) but the only reason for that is that I played it a little when it was free on PSN on release and mashed my way to victory like a lot of others did at the time. My knowledge of the game is actually very basic.

Not completely decided on a character yet but running with Jean for now, really like how they animated him.

oneida

Anyone still play this on PSN?
Canadian VFDC member thread
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/psn-gamertags-canada.15803/

PSN beginner rooms
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/psn-beginner-training-lobby.17922/

Probably worth your time bumping this thread and seeing if you can get some room matches going. Honestly, stay away from ranked for now. Since understanding your opponent is important in VF, the spray-and-pray philosophy of ranked will only instill bad habits.

BadWolf

Canadian VFDC member thread
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/psn-gamertags-canada.15803/

PSN beginner rooms
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/psn-beginner-training-lobby.17922/

Probably worth your time bumping this thread and seeing if you can get some room matches going. Honestly, stay away from ranked for now. Since understanding your opponent is important in VF, the spray-and-pray philosophy of ranked will only instill bad habits.

Thanks man, I'll look into those.

Shouta

I still play but not much recently. No major events for me to attend so it's kind of hard to keep motivated to practice.

oneida

I still play but not much recently. No major events for me to attend so it's kind of hard to keep motivated to practice.
I miiiiight be attending NYG8 in a few weeks. Things have been really crazy since I just got accepted into school and am moving out of state next month. My orientation is like two days after Summer Jam so I don't think I can make it to Philly ;___;

BadWolf

GGS to the gaffers I played with.

Chugging along little by little, hanging out in ranked mostly since it seems pretty much all of the players hang out there. Getting my butt whooped left and right but that's cool.

Gotta say, its pretty surprising how similar Jean feels to KOFXIII's Ryo. Its one of the main reason's I feel so comfortable with him I think. The same honest and gimmick-less play style with heavy reliance on normals and their long range. Almost feel like purchasing the customization pack so I can add some orange and yellow to Jean lol.

Seems like the execution in this game is pretty relaxed, feels like I'm doing combos in slow motion compared to KOF. Also going to lay off tutorial vids a little, I find myself thinking too much about the stuff I see in them during matches instead of playing by feel.

Really, really digging the character animation in this game.

oneida

GGS to the gaffers I played with.

Chugging along little by little, hanging out in ranked mostly since it seems pretty much all of the players hang out there. Getting my butt whooped left and right but that's cool.

Gotta say, its pretty surprising how similar Jean feels to KOFXIII's Ryo. Its one of the main reason's I feel so comfortable with him I think. The same honest and gimmick-less play style with heavy reliance on normals and their long range. Almost feel like purchasing the customization pack so I can add some orange and yellow to Jean lol.

Seems like the execution in this game is pretty relaxed, feels like I'm doing combos in slow motion compared to KOF. Also going to lay off tutorial vids a little, I find myself thinking too much about the stuff I see in them during matches instead of playing by feel.

Really, really digging the character animation in this game.
Take it at your own pace, man. I don't think there's a proven formula for learning any fighting game; if you need to step away from the numbers, it's not inherently the "wrong" thing to do. I started VF with FS last June, and I hit the frames HARD. I think that helped me a lot personally, moving from mostly Capcom games where I had a rough idea of what frame advantage was. VF fleshed that out entirely.

Glad you're having fun, that's what matters. Regardless of whether your goal is to be a top player at tournaments or just competent enough to steamroll people online (choosing my words carefully before I get steamrolled by a certain online warrior at NYG next week ;D) - regardless of that, 99.99% of your time will be the journey. Getting there. If you can appreciate that, you're going to have a great time with VF (and a lot of other things in life).

heads up u guise

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Sega Cup Europe 2013 is tomorrow. A one-day event with a 7000euro pot. Should be exciting. Stream by Unequalledmedia

http://unequalledmedia.com/segacupeurope2013/

And NYG8 has a trailer! That's next Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyN002in1qM

VF4FT will be there!

BadWolf

Take it at your own pace, man. I don't think there's a proven formula for learning any fighting game; if you need to step away from the numbers, it's not inherently the "wrong" thing to do. I started VF with FS last June, and I hit the frames HARD. I think that helped me a lot personally, moving from mostly Capcom games where I had a rough idea of what frame advantage was. VF fleshed that out entirely.

Glad you're having fun, that's what matters. Regardless of whether your goal is to be a top player at tournaments or just competent enough to steamroll people online (choosing my words carefully before I get steamrolled by a certain online warrior at NYG next week ;D) - regardless of that, 99.99% of your time will be the journey. Getting there. If you can appreciate that, you're going to have a great time with VF (and a lot of other things in life).

Yeah I just noticed that I started doing better when I stopped thinking about all the things I wasn't doing and focused on the basics. I still do look up some frame data though to see which moves are fast and hit practice after someone hits me too many times with something to see if the move is punishable (practice data is so good in this game).

Really enjoying the game so far for sure, only thing is that in addition to learning a new fighter I'm also learning how to play on a new control method (bought a stick recently). Its all good though, I can already see this game being beneficial when playing fighting games in general.

Top Bottom