• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3) and Hokuto no Ken (PS2) sites open!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cheers! Is there any new detail of VF5? I see something about a stick, and something about data collection for VF.net..

Pity there are no bigger shots..I presume they're the PS3 version :)

Lipi

hokuto no ken, finally! I was tired of all those pachinko games. Fighter Fighter we're gonna get a 3D fighting game :]

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
stickxp2.jpg

SPOOGE

though i'm fervently hoping i can use my ps2 sticks somehow :x

WYWY

VF5 - confirms JP launch date of 2007 Spring. Integration with Sega's VF.net? May be interesting - more PS3 <-> VF.net details to be revealed during TGS on 22nd.

EDIT 1: And of the '8 yet to be announced playable PS3 games at TGS', this is so obviously one of them.

EDIT 2: And with a 'winter' release date, From's Enchant Arms is easily another one of the 8.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
Cheers! Is there any new detail of VF5? I see something about a stick, and something about data collection for VF.net..
Yeah, not sure I understand it though.
http://www.virtuafighter.jp/net_all.html
something about september 22nd (tgs time obviously)

heres bablefish translation
With VF.NET PLAYSTATION (R) 3 editions "&#12496;&#12540;&#12481;&#12515;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12479;- large collection rival prayer of 5"!
From everyone of the VF.NET member, PLAYSTATION (R) 3 editions in "&#12496;&#12540;&#12481;&#12515;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12479;- we collect the prayer data which appears as a rival 5".
Application period, September 22nd (the gold) at this sight and VF.NET it announces the details of application method and the like.

As for the stick, it has 'playstation 3' over it, so I'm guessing it will be available for VF5. But who knows if thats a japan only deal or whatever (ordering wouldnt be out of the question if it's only in japan though).

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
stickxp2.jpg

SPOOGE

though i'm fervently hoping i can use my ps2 sticks somehow :x

oh my god

looks like i'm going to basically have to sell my kidney because this is beyond killer app territory now

Bebpo

Banned
Is it really going to be wireless? Or will it be USB?

Because I was under the assumption there is a slight mili-second lag for wireless controllers and in a game like VF where you need to be precise within 1/60th of a second that wouldn't be acceptable.

Which is also why the DoA X360 stick wasn't wireless IIRC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, not sure I understand it though.
http://www.virtuafighter.jp/net_all.html
something about september 22nd (tgs time obviously)

heres bablefish translation

According to hupfinsgack at B3D it says "There's currently an application process for all VF.net member for an appearance as a rival in VF5 PS3. The application period, details, etc will be made public on Sept 22th."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:
Is it really going to be wireless? Or will it be USB?

Because I was under the assumption there is a slight mili-second lag for wireless controllers and in a game like VF where you need to be precise within 1/60th of a second that wouldn't be acceptable.
well the ps3 controller is wireless so wouldnt the same laws apply there? so if its the same signal it would be no different in lag with the stick than playing with the ps3 controller.
gofreak said:
According to hupfinsgack at B3D it says "There's currently an application process for all VF.net member for an appearance as a rival in VF5 PS3. The application period, details, etc will be made public on Sept 22th."

damn, everything is being embargo'ed for TGS isnt it? :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
well the ps3 controller is wireless so wouldnt the same laws apply there? so if its the same signal it would be no different in lag with the stick than playing with the ps3 controller.

And who said the PS3 controller won't have a non-noticable tiny lag that would only be important in a game like VF? :p

I'd like to be wrong on this, but I thought it was brought up with the wireless X360 controllers that some very very minor lag does exist.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:
And who said the PS3 controller won't have a non-noticable tiny lag that would only be important in a game like VF? :p

I'd like to be wrong on this, but I thought it was brought up with the wireless X360 controllers that some very very minor lag does exist.
I'm not saying the ps3 controller wont have lag, i never tried it out myself. There could be, or could not be, I dont know. I'm saying the response time should be no different on the actual controller than on the joystick. If the joystick is indeed bluetooth wireless.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For the hardcore players, though, they might prefer a wired stick and not have to 'tolerate' the lag in the controller. A stick like this really would be for the hardcore.

Bebpo

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I'm not saying the ps3 controller wont have lag, i never tried it out myself. There could be, or could not be, I dont know. I'm saying the response time should be no different on the actual controller than on the joystick. If the joystick is indeed bluetooth wireless.

Yeah, and I'm saying in order to avoid that (if lag does exist) the controller might go into the USB ports.

I don't see anything on the Joystick ad that mentions wireless, which is why I brought it up.

gofreak said:
For the hardcore players, though, they might prefer a wired stick and not have to 'tolerate' the lag in the controller. A stick like this really would be for the hardcore.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Sticks are made for the hardcore players.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:
Yeah, and I'm saying in order to avoid that (if lag does exist) the controller might go into the USB ports.
I don't see any reason why it wouldnt have a USB port if it's ps3 spec'ed. If it's wireless it needs to charge somehow, I don't think AA batteries would be very fitting. Lets just wait for some more translation/confirmation type deal? :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll take two of those arcade sticks, thank you very much.

I collect arcade sticks. Just please tell me I can use my HRAP1/2 on the PS3 please Sony?

Bebpo

Banned
MarkMan said:
I'll take two of those arcade sticks, thank you very much.

I collect arcade sticks. Just please tell me I can use my HRAP1/2 on the PS3 please Sony?

I'm sure you will be able to, but I do worry that there might be a slight delay when going through a converter like there is on the PS2 -> PC converters I've tried.

Housed in the latest Famitsu are four pages devoted to the PS3 version of Virtua Fighter 5. Spread across the pages are first screens from the PS3 version, showcasing all 17 characters.

While we can't share the screenshots with you here, the screens reveal what could be an exact port of the arcade version. We'll have to wait for high-resolution screenshots before scrutinizing for subtle differences, but just looking at the tiny Famitsu screens has us excited for next year's home release.

Details on new modes of play were not touched upon in Famitsu, but the magazine did reveal one news bit that should please the purists. Sega will be releasing a special joystick controller to coincide with the release of the game. The controller will make use of genuine arcade parts.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/732/732952p1.html

photo-20060915-054603-0-42035e1856714ea46e4528e34ed33235.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gah, all ign had to say was that one little word...."wireless"
i was looking for it though. :/

thanks for the link SolidSnakex, I suppose it has some interesting details in there.
Wheres the new VF5 famitsu scans? :)

duckroll

There's nothing indicating the stick is wireless, even in Famitsu. It's a typical high grade stick using arcade parts so I see no reason why anyone would assume it's wireless. :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
More PICS!!!!!!!

1vf5ps3pt5.jpg

2vf5ps3ci9.jpg

At a special press conference in Tokyo today, Sega let attendees play Virtua Fighter 5 on the PS3 for the very first time. I'll sum it up in two words: arcade perfect. While no VF freak like Milky or Shane, I wouldn't be able to comment on every intricacy (missing or present) in the version I played, but for all intents and purposes, this looks and plays just like the arcade game.

The game is looking surprisingly polished -- all the characters and stages seemed to be present and everything looks spectacular. The only complaint at this point was the loading time -- it was about 10 seconds from character select screen to the beginning of the match. It didn't feel too long, but here's hoping this will be improved as the game gets optimized. As for how much longer Sega plans to spend on polishing the game, that remains to be seen -- the company hasn't committed to a proper release date. However, based on our digging, it's sounding like a January or February release to be likely.

You hear that? ARCADE PERFECT!!!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153688

Jim

SolidSnakex said:
Sega held an event and VF5 was playable there for everyone there.

It was the arcade version at the event last month... GA was there :) We came in 6th.

Here were the results:

#1 GameDaily
#2 1Up.com
#3 EGM
#4 GameVideos
#5 Chris Kohler, freelancer
#6 Gaming Age
#7 GameSpot
#8 Gamespy
#9 PSM
#10 GamesRadar
#11 PLAY Magazine
#12 GameRevolution
#13 Game Informer
#14 IGN

I AM SHOCK!

I really hope there's a Western release of Hokuto. PLEASE GOD, PLEASE!

Also, Sega's sticks leave something to be desired. I really hope HORI brings something to the table.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
f_elz said:
I want a ps3 just for VF5....
omg omg omg :eek:
is it a launch game?
1up.com said:
As for how much longer Sega plans to spend on polishing the game, that remains to be seen -- the company hasn't committed to a proper release date. However, based on our digging, it's sounding like a January or February release to be likely.
;)

Anyways, those ps3's look tiny tini in those pics. I wonder how far away they were from the camera? Anybody know what tv that is to compare? And it seems its a White light on them now. Did anyone say anything about the joysticks, wired or wireless?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Last battle owned!!! Even if I did play the pal release that made people explode into vapuor or sweat :\

And YOU ARE SHOCK is still as goofy as ever :lol

Top Bottom