• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtual reality mask adds realism by making it harder to breathe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

A mask that controls how much air you can breathe could be used to simulate environments with a restricted air supply in virtual reality.

SEI_103214958.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess outside of gaming this could be useful for training purposes. Like - training soldiers what it feels like to wear a gas mask, or some sort of simulation for firefighters to get used to low-oxygen conditions?

Maybe?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess outside of gaming this could be useful for training purposes. Like - training soldiers what it feels like to wear a gas mask, or some sort of simulation for firefighters to get used to low-oxygen conditions?

Maybe?
Military flight sims too where oxygen fails or you go into a negative g dive, etc.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Out of all the immersive things we could put into VR. Touch, smell, air, temperature…. these guys put in breathing?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hate or love VR, but you cant take away its evolving fast.

Last edited:
Back in the day I'd play Steel Battallion with my brothers. To add immersion we'd turn on a space heater and put it right behind us at head level, and turn a fan on. One person was in charge of periodically spray WD40 into a nearby fan, and the other person was in charge of flickering the overhead lights on and off when we took damage. 4D gaming.

Naked Lunch

VR is the nerdiest shit ever. Only mega geeks are into that crap.
I say this as someone who has a huge Retro gaming and Comic hardcover collection - and even I can tell you VR is on a whole other level of nerddom.
This VR breathing thing just makes me angry.

Zeroing

Banned
"Yass Daddy, choke me...."

But seriously, errrmmm aren't they taking things a little too far? what is next? you got shot in the game in VR and you feel pain? That does not sounds fun.

Mato

That's intriguing. Underwater sections, e.g. you try to ration your breath to get to an air pocket. Could be really effective in increasing suspense and immersion.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Star Citizen has been delayed 2 more years so they can implement the “suffocate when your cabin depressurizes” “feature”. Just imagine how realistic and immersive it’ll be!

Top Bottom