• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Actually, you kinda raised another question I had -- this is the first half of the story. Is it satisfying on its own? I ain't tryna get into cliffhanger territory without the second part of the series in sight.

The game is (very) enjoyable at the midway point, of course, but it isn't conclusive on is own as far as I recall.

Knurek

Actually, you kinda raised another question I had -- this is the first half of the story. Is it satisfying on its own? I ain't tryna get into cliffhanger territory without the second part of the series in sight.

If you really can't wait, the second part of the story has been available for the past few years, just not on Steam.
But frankly, Umineko (and especially EP4) is so draining emotionally, you will most probably want to take a break after the 60+ hours it takes to finish the first part, potential cliffhanger be damned.

Buzzi

Boy, it's literally impossible for me to list all the good tracks from Umi, it's really something that nothing can touch (ot at least nothing I played).
The Fata OST is great, but as far as variety or number goes it just cannot be compared imho.

About playing without Chiru, I don't think it's a great idea, but hopefully it doesn't take much to MG to complete the port since it's not a full translation.

If you really can't wait, the second part of the story has been available for the past few years, just not on Steam.
But frankly, Umineko (and especially EP4) is so draining emotionally, you will most probably want to take a break after the 60+ hours it takes to finish the first part, potential cliffhanger be damned.

Probably reading a whole chapter and then pausing for some days is the better solution, after all the chapters were published in that manner (although with months instead of days in between).

grim-tales

I'm not talking about Apollo Justice, Spirit of Justice is the US version of Gyakuten Saiban 6, whereas Apollo Justice was Gyakuten Saiban 4.

I misunderstood, my bad :)
I hope Spirit of Justice is a more difficult game than Dual Destinies was but still look forward to playing it at some point.

Knurek

Fun - a patch for PC version of Steins;Gate 0 was just released, adding translated scripts from the Vita version...
Will this speed up official PC port announcement? What do you think?

Well info on that is it requires a copy of the Japanese PC Version and Vita version to dump.
http://sonome.dareno.me/2016/11/25/zeroing-in-on-steinsgate-0.html

Not talking about this one (since it's not out yet).
Someone beat them to the punch, without the TLC they promise (so, pictures are unedited, movies unsubtitled, etc).

JulianImp

So we talking Umineko music now? It's definitely among my favorites by sheer virtue of how much variety it has, and how well songs usually fit the situations they're used in.

I'll probably get back to playing through Fata Morgana once I return from my trip, since I can't play it on the Mac I brought with me. Still, the backlog's long already, and getting Higanbana part 2 and a Touhou game I'll definitely want to play once I get back home as well... oh, decisions...

Fun - a patch for PC version of Steins;Gate 0 was just released, adding translated scripts from the Vita version...
Will this speed up official PC port announcement? What do you think?

I don't think they released anything, they just announced the project. They're being pretty blatant with this in a way that's competing with official releases, I wonder if they get hit with a C&D. I'm not sure I'm a fan of projects like this to be honest, everyone knows that their protection will be bypassed and the end result will be mass piracy for a product that will be released on PC in English eventually. And announcing it right at the release of the game on PS4/Vita doesn't exactly make them come off especially well either.

What is everyones top 3/5 VN 2016 so far?

This is my ranking at the moment:

1. Root Double
2. Fata Morgana
3. The Silver Case
4. Steins Gate 0
5. Enigma:

And there is Himawari in a few weeks, which i'm really looking forward to!

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
There are two Vita->PC patches for S;G0. One was released by a guy on Reddit and it's just the translated scripts packaged up to work with the PC version. The other, linked above, is the one we're currently working on. As mentioned in that post we're making a bunch of improvements so we're taking longer.

Well info on that is it requires a copy of the Japanese PC Version and Vita version to dump.
http://sonome.dareno.me/2016/11/25/zeroing-in-on-steinsgate-0.html

The previously released patch outright includes the English translation. Ours won't, for obvious reasons, players will have to provide it themselves.

And announcing it right at the release of the game on PS4/Vita doesn't exactly make them come off especially well either.

The reason we announced as early as we did is that porting the scripts alone was trivial and we hoped we might deter others from releasing a patch that just does the bare minimum.

jonjonaug

Among 2016 releases that I played for the first time in 2016 (so, not including Higruashi or Muv Luv or Umineko):

1. Fata Morgana
2. Kindred Spirits
3. Ace Attorney 6
4. The Silver Case

I also played Nurse Love Addiction and the Psycho-Pass game but I wouldn't put them in a "top" anything, although of those two I think I enjoyed the Psycho-Pass game more. I've yet to play Steins;Gate 0, which is coming in later today, and Root Double, which I backed but haven't gotten around to yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well S;G collection just got a little bigger!
zjG7reSl.jpg

NpZ4kXxl.jpg

Wanted to get the LE but low on funds atm.

I haven't played SG0 or the Silver Case yet. Fata Morgana and Root Double are the easy top 2. But there's a whole lot of stuff I'd put in the "pretty good" category that I'm not sure how I'd rank like like Kindred Spirits, Dead End Junction, Lucid9, Seinarukana (not for the VN parts though, so it probably doesn't belong here), Tokyo Babel, and Enigma. There are some other shorter titles I liked too.

Among 2016 releases that I played for the first time in 2016 (so, not including Higruashi or Muv Luv or Umineko):

1. Fata Morgana
2. Kindred Spirits
3. Ace Attorney 6
4. The Silver Case

I also played Nurse Love Addiction and the Psycho-Pass game but I wouldn't put them in a "top" anything, although of those two I think I enjoyed the Psycho-Pass game more. I've yet to play Steins;Gate 0, which is coming in later today, and Root Double, which I backed but haven't gotten around to yet.

How is Nurse Love Addiction? I got pretty early in that one and couldn't find the motivation to continue.

I'll need to play Fata Morgana (which I just bought) and Steins;Gate 0 (which is waiting for me at a UPS store right now) before making a list, but right now Root Double is occupying my top spot, and it will probably be within my top 3 for Game of the Year barring a massive surprise. Tatarigaroshi was really pretty excellent, too. My favorite Higurashi chapter of those released so far.

jonjonaug

How is Nurse Love Addiction? I got pretty early in that one and couldn't find the motivation to continue.

Dumb. Weird pseudo-supernatural abilities, dumb amnesia plots, crazy heroines with some dumb plot twists (like one of them is
a ghost possessing the body of her twin sister
), and some really wtf bad endings. There's one bad end where
the heroine is killed, so the MC fulfills her wish of "becoming one with her" by taking her corpse home, storing it in the fridge, and eating it
. It sort of reminded me of a Nitro+Chiral game in how dumb it was by the end.

Bought myself a Chuwi Hi8 Pro to read visual novels on. Looking to grab myself a few more visual novels with no idea where to start because I've been out of the game for over a year.

Generally I go for something with a strong story first, strong characters second. I cannot stand bad sex scenes and would prefer if the game has an all-ages version or just doesn't feature them. Dating sims is also something I make a point of ignoring unless its just a subset to the plot.

I've read and liked/loved:
Steins;Gate: Easily worth the hype and I see myself getting 0 at some point.
Fate/Stay Night: Ignoring the god awful sex scenes, it is easily the best visual novel I've read. Unlimited Blade Works is a masterpiece.
999: The puzzles were 'OK', but the story was a really nice ride.
Virtue's Last Reward: Like 999, it was a nice ride with bad puzzles.
Planetarian: Went into this completely blind and was really surprised by how well Key pulled the heartstrings. I'm considering bending the no dating thing to grab Clannad.

I've read and disliked/mixed on:
Cartagra: The plot itself was great and I'm interested enough to play Kara No Shojou since I bought the bundle last year. The completely random sex scenes made me almost want to quit the game though. Like they didn't even make sense half the time, and just felt thrown in.

Visual Novels I'm sitting on:
Kara No Shojou
Root Double
The Devil on G-String

Obvious Ones I'm ignoring:
Zero Time Dilemma: The tablet can't run it. Will just buy on Vita down the road.
Steins;Gate 0: No easily available English PC version and I'll get it on Vita down the road like the above.

So which ones should I add to the pile?

jonjonaug

Generally I go for something with a strong story first, strong characters second. I cannot stand bad sex scenes and would prefer if the game has an all-ages version or just doesn't feature them. Dating sims is also something I make a point of ignoring unless its just a subset to the plot.

The House in Fata Morgana sounds right up your alley then. Higurashi and Umineko are also worth checking out. Maybe check out Ever17 and Remember11 if you liked 999 and VLR.

I'd also recommend checking out Hanachirasu. It has sex scenes, but they're basically all jokes and can be ignored.

From what I've read this year.

1.House in Fata Morgana(and it isn't close)

2. Rose Guns Days

3. The Silver Case(haven't even finished it but damn I like it)

4. Root Double(ends up being way too long, A route was the best)

0. Euphoria(I don't know what to do with this, shit was crazy, probably liked it more than Root Double just cause it was shorter)

Need to play Ace Attorney and I really need Stein's Gate 0 to come out on PC lol. After I finish Silver Case I'm gonna check out MYTH and Enigma.

Bought myself a Chuwi Hi8 Pro to read visual novels on. Looking to grab myself a few more visual novels with no idea where to start because I've been out of the game for over a year.

Remember11 definitely, it's sci-fi story is the main attraction of it, and a damn good one. There arent annoying character moments and scenes most of the time, it has amazing pacing with almost no filler!

The 7th Expansion VNs like Umineko and Rose Guns Days are all among the best, but more character driven.

So i would start with these.

Buzzi

Mmh something like this (read, not published this year, for obvious reasons):

1) Fata Morgana

2) Zero Time Dilemma

3) Higurashi Watanagashi

4) Analogue: A Hate Story

5) Muv-Luv

But really, Fata is miles ahead of the others.
World End Economica should have been end of the year material but without chap 03 I'm not starting it...

Wichu

Read this year:

1. Fata Morgana
2. Root Double
3. Zero Time Dilemma
4. Higurashi Tatarigoroshi
5. Gahkthun

I haven't started S;G0 yet, but I'm expecting that to take 2nd or 3rd place. I highly doubt it can beat out Fata Morgana though.

I don't really keep track of what I read (not to mention that there's very little 2016 releases among those), but Fata Morgana is easily the best VN I've played in years.

grim-tales

I thought Lucid 9 was really well done especially for an OELVN/fan project. Can't wait for the full game next year.

I keep starting/restarting "Jisei" which is a VN about a college kid who can see moments when someone dies, or something (only playing the demo).

Hopefully Exogenesis and Adrift in a Cobalt Eternity are still on the way somewhere.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is it wrong I stopped quickly with fault Milestone? I feel I should give it more time but not a fan of the characters in the first 2ish hours.

Dies Irae Prefundia is up. 160k goal. May 2017 release and will be released in two parts. Free 18+ patch for backers. There will support for 4:3 uncropped CGs.

Digital only Vita is a 200k stretch goal.

Conjurer, Reading Steiner, and GundamAce from Lemnisca are translating it.

Knurek

Dies Irae Prefundia is up. 160k goal. May 2017 release and will be released in two parts. Free 18+ patch for backers. There will support for 4:3 uncropped CGs.

Day bloody one.
(Although I don't think they will make even 100k, unfortunately. Kickstarter VN bubble has burst already :\).

Day bloody one.
(Although I don't think they will make even 100k, unfortunately. Kickstarter VN bubble has burst already :\).

There's a VN Kickstarter running right now that's going to surpass 100k. If the bubble has burst, it's not to the point where 160k is unreachable.

Nozomi

Banned

Day fucking 1 in for the 900$ tier.
Also very pleased that they even got the 18+ ero content plus top tier translators/editors are also present.

There is literally no reason not to bake it guys so throw your money at it!

Knurek

There's a VN Kickstarter running right now that's going to surpass 100k. If the bubble has burst, it's not to the point where 160k is unreachable.

Let's hope so - Sharin no Kuni has the fact going against it that it has been available as a fan translation for ages, whereas dies irae is brand, spanking new...
2017 is going to be an interesting year, VN-wise...

Shizuka

This is HUGE. I can't wait for the Vita port.

Fata Morgana now has 92 reviews and it's still 100% positive... O_O'

is there a game with more reviews that has a 100% rating on Steam?

So I'm using ds4windows and have the right stick up/down set to mousewheel up/down. It works properly in general OS (can scroll up/down in Chrome) and some game (brings up the log in Higurashi), but for some reason in Root Double it does nothing. Any ideas how to get it to work properly in Root Double?

edit:
OOOH it's because the game already has controller support!

epmode

Just finished The House in Fata Morgana. It's kind of amazing. I certainly didn't expect something like that after glancing at the Steam store page.

Anyway, it took a few hours before I came around. I think I just disliked the music in the first chapter. The vocals or instrumentation in that era distracted the hell out of me. I loved the music in pretty much every other chapter!

If you haven't seen it already, check out the silly Backstage option in the Extras menu.

edit: OH RIGHT. The backsage thing also pointed out that there's going to be come kind of side story released in English by the end of the year. Day one.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just finished The House in Fata Morgana. It's kind of amazing. I certainly didn't expect something like that after glancing at the Steam store page.

Anyway, it took a few hours before I came around. I think I just disliked the music in the first chapter. The vocals or instrumentation in that era distracted the hell out of me. I loved the music in pretty much every other chapter!

If you haven't seen it already, check out the silly Backstage option in the Extras menu.

edit: OH RIGHT. The backsage thing also pointed out that there's going to be come kind of side story released in English by the end of the year. Day one.
By the look of the updates that seems to be 2017 now.

Shizuka

I hope Frontwing will be able to share more info on Sharin no Kuni's Vita port before the Dies Irae Kickstarter goes live, or else it'll definitely be outshined.

Top Bottom