• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I really wonder whats up with Seinarakuna or what that was called.

It was supposed to come out in September, then someone from JAST said late October...
Now its almost January.

How's Tokyo Babel? I could get it form a trader for $14 from Steam.
It's a solid action title with really good production values and a bunch of high profile anime voice actors. I enjoyed it enough to recommend it at that price.

I really wonder whats up with Seinarakuna or what that was called.

It was supposed to come out in September, then someone from JAST said late October...
Now its almost January.

It's JAST. The non-Steam version of Seinarakuna was in limbo for years too.

Tizoc

It's a solid action title with really good production values and a bunch of high profile anime voice actors. I enjoyed it enough to recommend it at that price.

It's JAST. The non-Steam version of Seinarakuna was in limbo for years too.

Thanks will check my budget and see if I can add it in.

Gahkthun got on Steam entirely uncensored, and that had far too many pointless sex scenes.
Also tentacle rape :/

The rule seems to be as long as you don't show genitals it's fine.
If that is a rule, they seem to allow some pretty heavy bending given the existence of Genital Jousting. Maybe cartoony genitals not attached to human bodies get a pass.

Knurek

diesrmkl8.png

Sad.

It's a normal Kickstarter trend. Remember when you were worried about Sharin going under 80k and it ended up near 190k?

Dies Irae is no real danger of failing to meet its base goal. It'll probably fall in the 180k-210k range.

Yeah, there's nothing to worry about here. It will almost certainly get funded.

People always seem to freak out about Kickstarters once they get past the first three to four days, but the funding arc is generally pretty consistent.

Shizuka

Harvest December and Parascientific Escape, the two great little visual novels that people forget were released on the 3DS eShop, are part of Nintendo's Holiday sale.

rusteepot

I played the vanilla version and thought it was pretty decent. I recommend it for that price.

If you didn't play the original, grab it.
Amazing atmosphere with just okay gameplay.

Thanks guys. Only chanced upon it by accident in the PS Store and thought it looked charming (ala Odin Sphere).

How's the story and length though? Serviceable? No outlandish romance paths right?

Edit: About to jump on Danganronpa 1+2. How long do these take to complete? Taking a break from long RPGs...

Ephidel

Honestly, they're making money just from the visual novel's fame. They're putting no work towards the campaign whatsoever.
This is what bothers me the most about them, honestly.
They're skating by on the name, and they'll probably make it, and they'll think they were in the right to approach the project this way because it was successful.
They'll likely ignore the fact that if the project were being run by someone competent it could have been far, far more successful.
If they'd done a decent job then (at least some of) the stretch goals would have been givens rather than unlikely bonuses. And they were good goals - a vita port, localisation of the fanbook, localisation of Kaziklu Bey as well. We could have gotten there, and we're going to lose out if the project is popular enough to meet the bar, but not run well enough to get that bit further.
And Light won't really get to see the sort of reception the project could have commanded, which depending on their actual expectations could impact on future projects (if they were expecting a runaway success like their Japanese fundraiser for the anime. They asked for 30million yen and got over 96million. Yeah, a large part of that is because people are already fans, but coming off the back of that I imagine they expected a bit more from the kickstarter than crawling to the finish line).

rickyson1

played through steins gate recently

it was pretty good aside from a couple annoying things(mostly earlier in the game and fairly minor)

not as good as fata morgana but there's no shame in that

Knurek

And yes, Dies irae will be coming to PS Vita once this Stretch Goal is met! The PS Vita version will be a digital release, and will be available with the $100 “Badge set.” reward tier and up. Please note that the option for the PS Vita will start from the $100 Badge set reward, so for those of you who want Dies irae on PS Vita, be sure to pledge accordingly because the option will not be available for reward tiers below that.

Amazing.
It's almost like they want the Kickstarter to fail...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing.

Geeze... I want to pledge, but I'm holding off.

Anyone want to bet that they will cancel and make a new one soon after? It worked for Sharin, at least. They got their act together the second time around.

aravuus

So what's World End Economica actually about? A scifi VN with a light main story arc about a dude trying to get money, but focus mainly on slice-of-life character moments? I don't really care about slice-of-life stuff, but a serious story about a guy trying to get money any way he can could be interesting.

I've read the Steam store page, the VNDB page and even some discussions about the VN and I still have no idea what to expect lol.

So what's World End Economica actually about? A scifi VN with a light main story arc about a dude trying to get money, but focus mainly on slice-of-life character moments? I don't really care about slice-of-life stuff, but a serious story about a guy trying to get money any way he can could be interesting.

I've read the Steam store page, the VNDB page and even some discussions about the VN and I still have no idea what to expect lol.

It leans more into drama than anything. I haven't read the last episode yet, but it's definitely not a light hearted slice of life story.

Knurek

Have you read/watched Spice & Wolf?
Expect the same, but with sci-fi instead of fantasy.

A mixture of drama and economic theory. Not really much at all that I would describe as really being slice of life.

aravuus

It leans more into drama than anything. I haven't read the last episode yet, but it's definitely not a light hearted slice of life story.

A mixture of drama and economic theory. Not really much at all that I would describe as really being slice of life.

Alright, that's good to hear, I think I'll get the first episode when I get home then. 3 euros is kind of unbeatable.

Have you read/watched Spice & Wolf?
Expect the same, but with sci-fi instead of fantasy.

I know of it.

Amazing.

These stretch goal decisions are baffling. So I can't get the art book unless I'm willing to plop down $400? Just make it an add-on, then they'd get $35+whatever the book costs from me.

Can't believe JP kickstarters are still doing weird stuff like this.

I don't care if you milk me out cause that is what a business is, but you have to softly, gently pull my nipples for my milk, not ripping them off like this
Muvluv got more money out of me than I ever thought I'd give to a kickstarter project because it felt like I was getting a lot for the money. Softly, gently milk, please.

Marche90

Sega and 5pb are getting better. The rest, however...

I'd put S-E above 5pb, tbh. Sega's the one that has improved the most, thanks to that Atlus influence, and boy am I glad that happened.

As for the campaign, no comment :x

As someone in the VN subreddit put it: I'm surprised at how much VN campaigns depend on Vita stretch goals. Even when I had a Vita I never thought of playing VN's there. Then again, I mostly play the 18+ versions...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'd put S-E above 5pb, tbh. Sega's the one that has improved the most, thanks to that Atlus influence, and boy am I glad that happened.

SE has definitely made improvements over the years, from adding Japanese audio, to adding collectors' editions to pretty much everything they release in the west. Not perfect, but MUCH better than they have been.

Feel bad for the translators though, geeze :/

*grabby hands* Gimme!
RD sounds a lot closer than I expected.

I was surprised that Root Double was going to be one of their first two games. Was certain it would've been Fault Milestone & World End Economica.

Can only imagine the file size for Root Double, uff. Still, exciting!

Saphirax

I was surprised that Root Double was going to be one of their first two games. Was certain it would've been Fault Milestone & World End Economica.

Our poor memory cards...

Having RD will make the pain of never getting Dies Irae on Vita a liiittle better.

I'm a bit less surprised to be honest, since it was the original developer doing the port.

The Japanese Vita version was still under 4GB so I assume it won't be too bad for the English version. (It was above the physical limit of 3.3GB, though.)

They've been talking late 2017 for World End Econ as they need to port all three games to Unity before even moving them to console.

I feel like more people should get to playing himawari before such a conclusion can be made.
I'm close to 40 hours and have to force myself to read more, it really is too long for its own good, most of the filler isn't as interesting as i hoped it to be, same goes for some of the characters.

I'm really questioning if the final route is even necessary.

So at least for me, nothing comes close to fata and RD this year. Many interesting titles sure, but they werent in the same ballpark

Shizuka

Cross-post from the Vita thread:

Just found this compilation of Vita visual novels for the next year at r/Vita:

A couple big titles to look forward to:

- Zero Escape: The Nonary Games -- two titles in one: a revamped 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors + Virtue's Last Reward -- visual novels that include lots of puzzle solving
- Dangan Ronpa V3: Killing Harmony -- supposedly a sort of relaunch for the franchise -- visual novel with a strong mystery-solving aspect + courtroom gameplay

Potentially five otome will release in 2017 (the first four from Aksys, the fifth from Idea Factory):

- Bad Apple Wars -- takes place in an "academy for the souls of bad students"
- Period Cube -- takes place in an MMO game fantasy world
- Collar x Malice -- about a police officer investigating a violent case in Shinjuku
- Code Realize: Future Blessings -- a "fan disc" for the previously released Code Realize: Guardians of Rebirth (ie supplemental material such as epilogue stories and new routes)
- Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds -- an updated re-release for Hakuoki (which had an English release for PSP), a story set in 19th century Kyoto

Hopefully some of these titles from Sekai Project will release next year:

- Fault Milestone One -- out on Steam -- fantasy story about a princess and her royal guard -- Limited Run physical release
- Root Double: Before Crime After Days -- out on Steam -- sci-fi adventure story involving a nuclear meltdown
- Narcissu 10th Anniversary Anthology -- out on Steam -- drama story about terminal illness -- Limited Run physical release
- World End Economica -- out on Steam -- story set in the future about the stock market -- Limited Run physical release
- The Grisaia Trilogy -- out on Steam -- high school story involving a cast of unusual girls -- (any updates on this one lately?)

Some other titles to keep an eye on:

- Muv Luv + Muv Luv Alternative -- Muv Luv is on Steam -- first game is a high school romcom, second game is a darker mecha adventure
- Sharin no Kuni -- drama/romance in a dystopian setting -- just recently Kickstarted, so maybe a 2018 release
- VA11 Hall-A -- out on Steam -- cyberpunk bartender action... it's great
- Quantum Suicide -- a betrayal/murder game set in space
- Exogenesis: Perils of Rebirth -- post-apocalyptic adventure

Of course, things might not work out for all of these, but I think there will be enough releases to keep VN fans reading on their Vitas for plenty of hours next year. Let me know if I've forgotten a title, and I'll add it to this post.

Edit -- Games that are rumored:

- Clannad -- this was shown at Tokyo Game Show in English, but no announcements about it have been made yet
- Chaos;Child -- hinted at being a release from PQube Games for a while now, but no announcements yet

The only one that they've missed at the last section is Net High and the list is perfect.

Top Bottom