• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | August 2013 | Divekicks & Dragons

Aytrial

It's like, if this is soccer it's Laughing Banana 0 - Discounted games 5.

Or if it's tennis, it's Love-Forty, Discounted games serving for the game two sets to zero :((

And I am *this close* to actually buy Machinarium too. If I actually bought it I think I am just gonna kill myself right now, hahaha....... *wipes sweat*

GOD FUCKING-DAMN IT!

ANOTHER ONE!

I SWEAR SONY IS PLAYING A LET'S-MAKE-FUN-OF-LAUGHING BANANA EVERY DAY!

*Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

image.php

EDIT: Since I haven't mentioned it in a while, and I've got the top of the page, be sure to check out the VitaGAF PSN ID spreadsheet. Add yourself if you haven't already!

Also, a lot of people haven't answered if they have PS+ or not. It's a column I added a few days after creating this spreadsheet.

Quote this post to see the link.

Is there a way to grab a PSN + trial? Don't want to buy again until there's a sale but I want to save money on Spelunky and the Pax sale stuff!

And I just downloaded the Killzone beta from PSN without the store crashing first. Huzzah!

Edgeward

I wish it was Vice City or Chinatown Wars

Already beat LCS, and would love to play CW on the vita since it's so damn hard to play on the ipad.

nampad

GOD FUCKING-DAMN IT!

ANOTHER ONE!

I SWEAR SONY IS PLAYING A LET'S-MAKE-FUN-OF-LAUGHING BANANA EVERY DAY!

*Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

To be fair, it's also the publishers fault. They have to agree to sales and they make the PS+ deals.
Some SCEA representents acknowledged the problem and said while they try not to have recently discounted games in the IGC, there will always be some overlap.

Guess it is saver not to buy any games with sequels right around the corner because they are often used as additional promotion.

Shoyz

I don't own Rayman but it was the only retail PS+ game I didn't want to see..but at least it's retail this time. And the PSP game isn't a fighter! But I wish we didn't get PSP games.

I don't own Rayman but it was the only retail PS+ game I didn't want to see..but at least it's retail this time. And the PSP game isn't a fighter! But I wish we didn't get PSP games.

Y'know how many PSP games SCEE has given out? ;)

To be fair, it's also the publishers fault. They have to agree to sales and they make the PS+ deals.
Some SCEA representents acknowledged the problem and said while they try not to have recently discounted games in the IGC, there will always be some overlap.

Guess it is saver not to buy any games with sequels right around the corner because they are often used as additional promotion.

Except SCEA is doing it wrong.
SCEE gave out Rayman back in Spring... a few months before the now released Rayman Legends. This gave consumers the opportunity to try the game (and most likely LOVE it) so that when Legends released this week, Vita owners might buy it at full retail.
SCEA is giving it out on, I'm guessing, AFTER the release of Legends. Consumers who bought and played Origins will still buy Legends, but those who were on the fence? They'll take Origins for free and neglect Legends. It's going to cost them sales, not promote the new title.

nampad

Y'know how many PSP games SCEE has given out? ;)

Except SCEA is doing it wrong.
SCEE gave out Rayman back in Spring... a few months before the now released Rayman Legends. This gave consumers the opportunity to try the game (and most likely LOVE it) so that when Legends released this week, Vita owners might buy it at full retail.
SCEA is giving it out on, I'm guessing, AFTER the release of Legends. Consumers who bought and played Origins will still buy Legends, but those who were on the fence? They'll take Origins for free and neglect Legends. It's going to cost them sales, not promote the new title.

I would say that is Ubisofts decision. They make the deals to promote their games or earn some money.

I would say that is Ubisofts decision. They make the deals to promote their games or earn some money.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on Ubisoft.
Some of the sales, sure.

But I think the Sony teams have a lot to do with approaching the publishers to get this kind of thing done.

And this is where the giant difference comes up -- the SCEE team gets the job done while the SCEA team just goofs off. You think it was Ubisofts idea to feature Rayman Origins on PS+ in EU back in Spring but not in NA until after the release of Legends? I think not. Rather, I think that the SCEA team is to blame for that. This would also explain why NA is behind the curve on a ton of other Vita related issues as well.

omg_mjd

I'm weird--I'd rather that the games that go on PS+ IGC be the ones that I'd play through maybe once and delete. I'd rather just buy outright the games that I really want instead of getting them for "free". (Which is why I'm glad I bought Wipeout 2048, BlazBlue and Disgaea 3 before Vita PS+ came along. Those games and Virtue's Last Reward are probably the only games in the Vita IGC that I'd consider keepers so far.)

I wish it was Vice City or Chinatown Wars

Already beat LCS, and would love to play CW on the vita since it's so damn hard to play on the ipad.

People are saying CW was a bad port though. But I agree, I'd be more interested in Vice City than LCS.

I'm weird--I'd rather that the games that go on PS+ IGC be the ones that I'd play through maybe once and delete. I'd rather just buy outright the games that I really want instead of getting them for "free". (Which is why I'm glad I bought Wipeout 2048, BlazBlue and Disgaea 3 before Vita PS+ came along. Those games and Virtue's Last Reward are probably the only games in the Vita IGC that I'd consider keepers so far.)

People are saying CW was a bad port though. But I agree, I'd be more interested in Vice City than LCS.

I heard really good things about the CW port -- the only downside was that some of the more DS type gimmicks weren't re-worked for the lack of a touchscreen.

And do you mean full retail that have been on PS+ for Vita as far as "keepers" go?

DigitalOp

Banned
Fire Emblem Awakening still the sole reason why I play my 3DS more than my Vita
please don't kill
I really wish Sony's handheld and console have their own "fire emblem", preferably something with "valkyria" and "chronicles" as its name. But the IP owner spit on my face for that idea alone (they hate money).

Valkyria Chonicles 2 for PSP?

I think you're placing too much emphasis on Ubisoft.
Some of the sales, sure.

But I think the Sony teams have a lot to do with approaching the publishers to get this kind of thing done.

And this is where the giant difference comes up -- the SCEE team gets the job done while the SCEA team just goofs off. You think it was Ubisofts idea to feature Rayman Origins on PS+ in EU back in Spring but not in NA until after the release of Legends? I think not. Rather, I think that the SCEA team is to blame for that. This would also explain why NA is behind the curve on a ton of other Vita related issues as well.

The got their ass in gear for the PS4 though... with the new rumors around, its looking like Vita is getting a bunch of titles that were never mentioned before. Hopefully SCEA has been working on things and keeping them very hush.

Just wanted to chime in:

I LOVE The Walking Dead on Vita. I'd held off, such an amazing game and to have it on Vita...awesome! ^_^

Excited for Rayman Legends on Tuesday, it'll sit alongside my Vita Launch day copy of Rayman Origins.

It took a 1-2 punch with Van Winkle sending me a Killzone beta code and TWD to release, but I've put down my 3DS and will until Zelda :0)

omg_mjd

I heard really good things about the CW port -- the only downside was that some of the more DS type gimmicks weren't re-worked for the lack of a touchscreen.

That's good. I never finished CW on my DS so I was looking forward to playing it on the Vita at some point. Hopefully there's a sale again on Rockstar games like last year.

And do you mean full retail that have been on PS+ for Vita as far as "keepers" go?

Since I buy 99% digital I've not made the distinction except when it comes to price. I just mean games that I see myself replaying in the future. If only Sony allowed us to purchase games that are on the IGC (especially when they go on sale) it wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

The way it is, I feel like the more that there are games on IGC that I like and will want to keep playing through more than once, the more I feel like I'm being held hostage to the service. (Although $50/year isn't much and I like the convenience-related features of PS+.)

I guess I just like the idea of "owning" the games I like, even if we're just talking about digital copies.

That's good. I never finished CW on my DS so I was looking forward to playing it on the Vita at some point. Hopefully there's a sale again on Rockstar games like last year.

Since I buy 99% digital I've not made the distinction except when it comes to price. I just mean games that I see myself replaying in the future. If only Sony allowed us to purchase games that are on the IGC (especially when they go on sale) it wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

The way it is, I feel like the more that there are games on IGC that I like and will want to keep playing through more than once, the more I feel like I'm being held hostage to the service. (Although $50/year isn't much and I like the convenience-related features of PS+.)

I guess I just like the idea of "owning" the games I like, even if we're just talking about digital copies.

I'm now 100% digital.
I only asked because I was trying to figure out if you were excluding the awesomeness of Mutant Blobs Attack because it was a PSN only or because you didn't think it was a keeper overall. :p

As for CW, here's the metacritic page:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars

I would've bought it last R* sale, but $10 is too much. For $5, I would've bit.

zulux21

I'm now 100% digital.
I only asked because I was trying to figure out if you were excluding the awesomeness of Mutant Blobs Attack because it was a PSN only or because you didn't think it was a keeper overall. :p

I'm technically physical focused on the vita... but I am doing a bad job at it.... I still only own 4 games physically with a good 30 plus digitally (including plus games) :/ to be fair there are only two vita games that i own digitally that I would have bought physically (had there not been a good sale/ not part of ps+)

I'm technically physical focused on the vita... but I am doing a bad job at it.... I still only own 4 games physically with a good 30 plus digitally (including plus games) :/ to be fair there are only two vita games that i own digitally that I would have bought physically (had there not been a good sale/ not part of ps+)

I really want an adapter for the physical card slot so I can put a second memory card in... ahhh, a man can dream.
I hate dealing with cards... so finding a game to leave in the slot permanently has been a chore.

omg_mjd

I'm now 100% digital.

As for CW, here's the metacritic page:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars

I would've bought it last R* sale, but $10 is too much. For $5, I would've bit.

Mutant Blobs was the first Vita game I bought! (Technically my first Vita-related purchase was Persona 3 Portable.) Yeah, I'd add that to the list of keepers. :)

If it wasn't for having to import Project Diva f then I'd be 100% digital too.

Who knows, maybe now that SCEA's running low on PSP fighting games to add to the IGC, they're starting to throw the GTAs at us. I hope we get The Warriors too.

zulux21

I really want an adapter for the physical card slot so I can put a second memory card in... ahhh, a man can dream.
I hate dealing with cards... so finding a game to leave in the slot permanently has been a chore.

I like being able to look over and see what games I own, instead of trying to remember or look at my download list of 1k+ items.

I'm still super bummed that vita games don't have manuals though (yes they have digital ones, but those are in general completely and utterly pointless.) I love being able to flip through a manual when I am not able to play a game, aka when my wife is using my system or i am waiting for it to charge or when I don't have the time to play the game... so sad they don't have manuals :/

of course I know I am one of the last people in existence that reads manuals... so I understand why they don't have them... but still....

as for changing a card though, not a big deal for me, I prefer it over finding the bubble I want to play (I would much rather just have a list sorted by the type of game it was and select from there... it's to much effort to keep my bubble order looking nice even with folders :/)

Who knows, maybe now that SCEA's running low on PSP fighting games to add to the IGC, they're starting to throw the GTAs at us. I hope we get The Warriors too.

This just in a partial leak from sony about upcoming vita games.

Oct: Bloody roar 1 and 2
Nov: Street fighter alpha 1-3
Dec: Tekken 1-2
Jan: Darkstalkers and king of fighters 99

Sony's new motto.
"see we added at least 1 extra vita game each month"

Note: this is not an actual leak.

just because they are nearly out of psp doesn't mean they can't hit the ps1 classics :3

omg_mjd

I'm still super bummed that vita games don't have manuals though (yes they have digital ones, but those are in general completely and utterly pointless.) I love being able to flip through a manual when I am not able to play a game, aka when my wife is using my system or i am waiting for it to charge or when I don't have the time to play the game... so sad they don't have manuals :/

of course I know I am one of the last people in existence that reads manuals... so I understand why they don't have them... but still....

I like manuals too. Especially with old games. It was part of the package and far better than just getting a box with a cartridge, a floppy disk or a CD inside it. These days publishers only make an effort if it's a "special edition" or something. Makes my decision to go digital with my games easier actually.

This just in a partial leak from sony about upcoming vita games.

Oct: Bloody roar 1 and 2
Nov: Street fighter alpha 1-3
Dec: Tekken 1-2
Jan: Darkstalkers and king of fighters 99

Sony's new motto.
"see we added at least 1 extra vita game each month"

Note: this is not an actual leak.

just because they are nearly out of psp doesn't mean they can't hit the ps1 classics :3

Man I thought you were serious there for a moment. Haha. :)

GYNGA

Bad port? Nope. It's as great as it can be.

Logically CW would make much more sense for IGC since the sales really weren't adequate to how good the game is. One would think R* would want to get more exposure for the under-appreciated CW and bank on these cheap-to-make handheld GTAs in the future.

nampad

I just finished GTA: CW two days ago and didn't really like it. Posted my impressions in this thread.
Bad port may refer to the framedrops while driving.

2 - In world 2, if you get "The Dead are Restless" on one of the levels check underneath the gravestones, I more than not find a shotgun in these levels.

It's under the
Ash gravestone.
Should have known it, already cracked up at the reference.

Finished my shortcut now. Somehow I had to repeat the second delivery (ropes).Hope there isn't some kind of save bug.
Now I can try mastering the ice caves. Already 1/3 on the tunnel. Framedrop with the wet fur event is pretty bad :(
Still thing the ice caves are easier than the mines or jungle.

zulux21

Man I thought you were serious there for a moment. Haha. :)

I don't think even sony could be that dumb.... but I have been proven wrong by sony before lol.

I still don't get what their obsession with fighting games and the vita is. We have Blazblue for the vita, nothing else is needed, move on to some random games like corpse party or Half-Minute Hero or Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords or or how about
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite :p (ignore the title if it's not on the psn... to lazy to check :p)

I'm really not competent at spelunky, i can't get a shotgun for the second cave :(

It's a bit hard to do, just keep at it! The good news is once you get a shotgun it can really help keep you alive. Easiest way to find on is under a gravestone that says "Ash" on it in the "The Dead are Restless" jungle levels.

Just wait until you see the item you need for the third shortcut...

mauaus

I would love to leave pes 2014 in there... A man can dream.

Omerta

I'm a patient consumer but I passed on The Walking Dead on all platforms when I heard it was coming to Vita and it still doesn't have an Australian release date and I'm liable to do something stupid like, buy it on ios or something!

Anyone know what the story is with its release Down Under?

I don't think even sony could be that dumb.... but I have been proven wrong by sony before lol.

I still don't get what their obsession with fighting games and the vita is. We have Blazblue for the vita, nothing else is needed, move on to some random games like corpse party or Half-Minute Hero or Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords or or how about
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite :p (ignore the title if it's not on the psn... to lazy to check :p)

MHFU was on PSN.
I bought it for $10 and have regarded it as one of the worst purchases ever.

And don't worry, they'll be sure to give out a few more fighting games including but not limited to Blazblue PSP.

Omerta

Oh, and corrosivefrost's idea about an adapter for a second memory card is a really good idea.

Sony could actually release a hardware revise with a second memory card slot, I'd buy into that.

zulux21

MHFU was on PSN.
I bought it for $10 and have regarded it as one of the worst purchases ever.

And don't worry, they'll be sure to give out a few more fighting games including but not limited to Blazblue PSP.

I actually wouldn't mind blazblue psp at all... since, if I understand things correctly... it's a sequel to the vita version story wise lol.

Also I really don't want MH (in fact the only one of those I would be excited about if we got would be corpse party) just was listing off some other decently rated non fighting psp games :p

Trials won't work if you already had +

Ah ok, makes sense. Thought they would if you'd lapsed. Oh well, will just resubscribe at the next 30 dollar deal or when the PS4 launches.

Spelunky is brutal, threw a rock at a spider's web and it fell into the shop keeper's place and he proceeded to chase me with a shotgun :/ The vita version looks nice too, glad I didn't spend too much time with the other versions.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to dive into MHFU, till I saw this. What's the pros and cons of MHFU played through the Vita? Isn't there cross play with PSP? Care to elaborate before I put my money in?
It's fine, the Vita's second analog stick does wonders for it but it'll still be harder to go back to after MH3U due to more dated mechanics and hitboxes. Pretty sure corrosivefrost is talking about his preference for the game, not the playability.

Edit - and you can play with other PSPs through ad hoc party.

omg_mjd

I'm about to dive into MHFU, till I saw this. What's the pros and cons of MHFU played through the Vita? Isn't there cross play with PSP? Care to elaborate before I put my money in?

I never played it on PSP but one thing that's great about MHFU on Vita is being able to use the 2nd thumbstick instead of the dpad for moving the camera. I never tried adhoc mode/cross play though.

If you've played MH before and liked it then go for it. Personally I like MHFU a lot. But I can see why some people don't like it. The combat's an acquired taste for one thing.

EDIT: Beaten

Okay..looks like I might just get it. I have about 300+ hours clocked in on MHFU from the PSP. Any idea if the save file is transferable?

p/s I loved the claw method from the PSP.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
There is a way to transfer but you have to jump through some hoops. Can google for the guide.

And yeah I miss the claw, would've rather used it over the target camera.

I hope we can play the GTA PSP games Multiplayer with other VITA owners. IIRC, it was insane fun to play it on PSP. On VITA, it will be added fun since dual stick to control camera + better controls/screen.

But i really hate how SCEA handles PS+ games. These weekly offerings suck. Why not just give all games in one week instead of spreading it along a month. VITA games usually end up at the end of them onth =/

P.S Started Machinirium and it looks and plays great. Although the touch controls were a bit weird for me at first but this is perhaps the first game where i liked the back touchscreen. It is pretty neat IMO since if we use the back touch, our finger is not blocking the view of the main screen, or we can simply use the buttons. Overall, control wise, this is the best version, hands down.

I just didn't like the game. I bought it on sale for $10 before I even owned a Vita (and never owned a PSP)... I had watched some videos and thought the combat would be more to my liking... until I played it. I was hoping it'd be more reminiscent of dark/demon's souls... yeah, bad impulse buy for me.

I actually wouldn't mind blazblue psp at all... since, if I understand things correctly... it's a sequel to the vita version story wise lol.

It'd be a prequel, I think? But Blazblue CS2E has a "what happened before now" section to complete... the sequel to Blazblue Vita story (CS2E) will be BBCP when it comes out next year.

It's fine, the Vita's second analog stick does wonders for it but it'll still be harder to go back to after MH3U due to more dated mechanics and hitboxes. Pretty sure corrosivefrost is talking about his preference for the game, not the playability.

Edit - and you can play with other PSPs through ad hoc party.

The 2nd analog stick really helped... I can't even imagine the claw method.
Speaking of -- is it true that the 2nd analog doesn't really help GTA:LCS?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a date for rogue legacy yet? I'm about to cave on spelunky but I'd rather spend those 12 bucks on rogue legacy if it's coming out anytime soon.

Is there a date for rogue legacy yet? I'm about to cave on spelunky but I'd rather spend those 12 bucks on rogue legacy if it's coming out anytime soon.

2014, I thought.

As of a week ago, they've said they're in such early stages of porting it that they're "Not sure on the trophy details yet. We’d have to talk to Sony as we get closer to launch."
If they don't even know how many trophies the game will have, I'm going to wager they're not even close to submitting it for approval.

Takao

Banned
These things really boggles my mind. I mean, Aksys Game released a PSP otome game not just digitally but also physically? That's crazy. Meanwhile, Namco Bandai have no plan releasing Tales for Vita even though they are quite a big names on the west compared to other usualy stuff we have from Japan. I don't know how this world work anymore :(

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology sold about 40k in the US on a much healthier PSP. Namco Bandai probably looked at that, then at Vita's current sales figures, and thus came up with a "NOPE".

I don't know why anyone would be excited about a 3D GTA PSP game on PS+. The rips SCEA uploaded feature a tonne of slowdown not present on the UMDs that make them basically unplayable. Chinatown Wars is immune to this.

RalchAC

I'll resist and hang on then. Many of the PS+ updates are games I already have (I'm not complaining!) The US PS+ more than makes up for things!

Have you thought about selling some of those game you have with PS+ and physichal version?

There hasn't been any big jrpg for vita though, and really the only ones that haven't already been announced are the Tales remakes and super niche stuff like that mind game and compile heart shit. Even that curry game and panty sniffing dungeon crawler are coming.

And, I need those Tales of in my PSVita. I've said it a thousand times, I know. But if Namco doesn't want to localize them then just let XSeed do it. Or Aksys. I'm sure there are some people there willing to buy the game. They just need to keep the costs down so a 50-75k units sold could be enough for earning money.

image.php

EDIT: Since I haven't mentioned it in a while, and I've got the top of the page, be sure to check out the VitaGAF PSN ID spreadsheet. Add yourself if you haven't already!

Also, a lot of people haven't answered if they have PS+ or not. It's a column I added a few days after creating this spreadsheet.

Good idea with the quote thing. I signed. Is there any way you can put the spreadsheet in the OT in September and ahead? And there should be links only for users, like in a lot of websites :(

Oh geez that's far away. Guess I'll grab spelunky.

Take it with a grain of salt -- but considering how little we know about it other than it being announced, it's hard to believe it will be out for Vita (or other platforms) prior to 2014 at this point.

Hell, we're still waiting on our Terraria port... and that was supposed to be here in Summer 2013, I think.

Edgeward

I would like the ps1 tales games to be on psn, sony/namco. Be nice if we got that Eternia psp port that never came to states, provided it got it rid of the volt glitch otherwise the ps1 version will do.

I'm going on a trip tomorrow, are there any cool pick up and play indie type games I missed out this past two month?

PS mobile is fine too.

Tried J&D Trilogy last night as I finished Knytt Underground the night before.

Im not sure I can play this game. Its not like the frame rate is so slow its a slide show or anything but its slow enough and consistantly slow that it gave me a head ache and made me feel sick (been a long time since a game did that). Also camera is terrible but its the PS2 era so fully expected.

That was just the first one. Is the frame rate the same in all 3?

Its no a huge loss if so as im not really into 3d platformers anyway (had to push my self to complete Daxer). They just dont really excite me at all.

Just wondering if I should delete or save the other 2 for a slow month.

After that I tried Little kings and its really great. Simple and charming and frame rate was fine apart from in the main bit of your town. If its just towns it drops on and is smooth all other times I can deal with that.

Also tried stealth inc. Plays a lot nicer on vita that nexus 7 so will go through it on this for sure. Then I played more Spelunky because its fantastic.

Top Bottom