• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | May 2013 | Lovecraftian Wasteland

dENzFK7.png

Latest Vita Firmware: 2.11

On December 17, 2011, a handheld was launched that took the hearts of many by storm. Despite it's ups and downs, the PlayStation Vita remains a handheld with a solid library, and this thread's purpose is to discuss the software released on a monthly basis.

Title: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san game is out AND NOT MUCH ELSE, so it's a wasteland.

iGIOFZtUCA8kI.png

NA
?? -Velocity Ultra
Hotline Miami
Quell Memento
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery

EU
01 - Soul Sacrifice
Machinarium
Farming Simulator
15 - Velocity Ultra
?? - Hotline Miami
Quell Memento
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery​

KUHgzvw.png

Soul Sacrifice

Soul Sacrifice is one of the biggest upcoming titles(or even biggest games ever) the Vita has to offer. Developed by Marvelous AQL and Japan Studio, the game is designed by famous gaming industry figure Keiji Inafune and has a large cast of well known designers and composers behind it, including music from the always amazing Yasunori Mitsuda.

Prepare yourself for a brutal combat experience where every decision made will have consequential results. Soul Sacrifice is a co-op action game full of brutal combat and consequential gameplay choices. Take on the role of a slave who stumbles upon a forbidden book that allows its readers to relive epic battles between sorcerers and monsters of the past. In order to use the magic during fierce battles, the player must be willing to make a sacrifice in exchange -- ranging from personal belongings, a limb, or even a life. What price will you pay for power?
CwKRPQj.png

13Iaqub.png

Velocity Ultra
Velocity Ultra is a remake of the original PS Minis game and features trophies, online high scores and a completely overhauled visual style at native PS Vita resolution.

In 2212 the distant star Vilio exploded into a red giant, sending an electromagnetic pulse surging into our deep space mining ships, colony cruisers and Special Forces fighters. Now the star is beginning to collapse into a black hole, pulling our stranded fleets to their doom. To make things worse, our warring neighbors have deployed scavengers to prey upon our people. Only one craft is capable of a rescue mission, the Quarp Jet -- a spacecraft capable of teleportation.

Take control of the world’s first quantum teleport craft in this innovative shooter, using a range of teleport controls to outsmart enemies, solve action puzzles and rescue survivors from their deep space hideaways. Features genre-busting game play and music from Joris de Man (Killzone.)
ujY2GPm.png

itSCaobbAFDMX.png

23 - Valhalla Knights 3
30 - Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Nafushigatai Game no Yona Mono

HGua0vA.png

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Nafushigatai Game no Yona Mono

A fucking Nyaruko dating sim/adventure game/visual novel kinda thing. There's mini-games and stuff in it, too. Based on Nyarlathotep(Nyaruko) and other Lovecraft creatures. Spooooky moe~!
OH7EnF2.png

ibqAUibC6F0OFO.png

RCORlG0.png

It's like you guys were expecting a different game, c'mon. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus may seem like a complete joke on the surface, a game made for the fanservice and nothing else. How wrong many of you are. Behind the fanservice is a VERY competent and fun game that boosted sales by a whole lot in Japan and even outsold both the 3DS titles, combined! It's a 3D fighter similar to titles like the Musou series and such, but it's much more fluid and you have far more control over your character. Sort of like Sengoku Basara but even more control! The cast is very unique, including the lovely Hikage. <3 And while multiplayer is a total blast and reminiscent of Power Stone, it requires an online pass... not a big deal, but frustrating if you're importing it. The DLC characters, Rin and Daidouji, are amazing as well, being more complex than most of the main cast.

klcFrnR.jpg

My preview piece of the game went up yesterday. Figured I'd toss it here too.

http://www.japanator.com/first-impressions-senran-kagura-shinovi-versus-28117.phtml

I'm surprisingly enjoying my time with this. Multiplayer reminds me a lot of Power Stone, which is never a bad thing.

See more information in the OT: Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus |OT| Wrap your Hometown in Happy Boobs #1

xcaaDkv.png

Feel like your Vita skills are up to the test? Then take part in this monthly challenge where we find out who among you is the best of the best. The winner of this challenge gets to choose which game gets highlighted as "Game of the Month" in next month's OT!

May Challenge: Jack O' Sacrifice(Soul Sacrifice Double Jack Speed Run)

The Challenge: Avalon Pact IV (Atonement) -> Flaming Desert Heat
Objective: Use any means necessary to complete this quest in the shortest time possible! If there is a tie, the winner goes to the person with the highest quest score.
How to Enter: Take a screenshot of your results screen(score AND time) in a PM.

The cutoff date for this challenge is May 31st, 2013. Good luck!

BYMf4to.png

How do I backup/transfer my games and saves to and from my PC/PS3?
For PC:
Follow this guide.
For PS3:
Follow this other guide.

How do I switch accounts on my Vita?
Short Version -
First of all, note that:
1. A system can only be linked to one account at a time
2. A memory card can only be linked to one account at a time

To switch accounts, you must:
1. Restore the PS Vita System (Settings > Format > Restore)
2. Format the memory card (if you only have one) or swap in another memory card (if you have multiple)

Long Version here.

(Thanks to Kazerei and The Grim Heaper!)

What does system update X.0X do?
"Improve system stability", usually, unless noted otherwise.

What is PlayStation Plus? Why should I, as a Vita owner, care about it?
PS Plus is a subscription service that not only gives you access to extra perks to use for your PS Vita, but also grants you an Instant Game Collection of 6 games available to try out for free. These perks include:
-1 GB Cloud Storage for all your PS Vita Game saves (PS1/PSP saves are not allowed).
-Automatic Save uploads to the Cloud, Game Updates and Trophy syncs.
-The same features available for your PlayStation 3 console, only with even more games.

Is Persona 3 Portable as bad as people say it is?
It's not. There are some downgrades, unfortunately, but a lot of the gameplay tweaks make it a greater experience than Persona 3 FES in some aspects, while worse in others.

30Rsemz.png

Upcoming Vita Games and Apps for 2013
Vita Compatible PS1 Classics
PlayStation Mobile Thread of Indie Games, and Apps on Android/Vita
Vita NeoGAF Game Reviews
Vita Wallpaper Thread
Vita Tips and Tricks
_____

Game OTs
Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Thanks to Monosukoi for most of the banners and assorted help, ZeroAKA for assorted help, and BlackLagoon for some dates!

iCoubzr6vJdEL.png
iIQew6xqCVuJo.png

ZeroAKA

Finally, nice job with the thread! :D

Senran Kagura is a good choice, but I won't give up my conquest to get Hatsune Miku Project Diva f as Game of the Month.

Woo great job! I don't get the reference tho, unless it's referring to SS's art style. BRING ON DEM INDIES. LET'S KEEP FIGHTING THE VITA TAX!!!

Takao

Banned
Woo great job! I don't get the reference tho, unless it's referring to SS's art style. BRING ON DEM INDIES. LET'S KEEP FIGHTING THE VITA TAX!!!

Lovecraftian describes the moe game coming out in Japan, and wasteland refers to Vita's upcoming software lineup.

Sorry it took so long, tired to get it done as fast as I could...!

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is inspired by H.P. Lovecraft stuff and it's basically his novels and characters BUT TOTALLY MOE

Lovecraftian describes the moe game coming out in Japan, and wasteland refers to Vita's upcoming software lineup.
good job takao

nampad

EU also got Machinarium and farming simulator with todays store update. Nevertheless, nice thread for May.

If it's a wasteland ahead of us you'd think they would spend more time on Vita reviews.... right? right?? I know loads of games that have delayed reviews so they can try out the multiplayer, for instance.

Sorry it took so long, tired to get it done as fast as I could...!

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is inspired by H.P. Lovecraft stuff and it's basically his novels and characters BUT TOTALLY MOE

good job takao

HP Lovecraft + moe = instant sale

Also glad that Senran Kagura is still getting lots of love. The sheer amount of content is amazing and the combat system is so much fun. I downloaded it on the first game and I still find myself playing it almost everyday.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do we know the price of Velocity Ultra already? I fear that my funds might not be enough.

Cheska

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Growlanser and Gungnir are both Vita compatible guys! Loading up on space bucks so I can buy them both.

Alright Vita gaf I'm in a pickle, what should I get:

Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed

or

Guacamelee and Sly Cooper?

I only have 30$ to spend, and I was ready to get EDF but now it's too much. I love Sonic and I was really wanting to get the game, the physical version seems just as much so.

wilflare

or

I only have 30$ to spend, and I was ready to get EDF but now it's too much. I love Sonic and I was really wanting to get the game, the physical version seems just as much so.

Guacamelee :D:D

breakfuss

Not sure what this month's thread title means, lol. Regardless, appreciate the work you put into maintaining it, @grimreaper.

*Before we commence a new month of vita-speak, i offer a moment of silence for the fallen. Thine kool-aid be not sippith'd the same without you.*

I dedicate this to you, brother. Gone, but never forgotten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBcfRhzzAA

or

Guacamelee + Sly Cooper, easily.

or

Sonic its awesome but if your looking to play mp alot then dont.

Do we know what Vita is getting for US PS+ this month yet?
Not yet, dont buy anything till they do. Dont want to buy something that will be free.

Btw the thread title yuck, dont even know what it means.

ZeroAKA

Not yet, dont buy anything till they do. Dont want to buy something that will be free.
There was a GameStop poster that leaked May's PS+ games, I think. They weren't anything special.

Is the Vita game lineup change the same as PS3 Plus next month?
The mean the huge yearly refresh? That's in June for the PS3, but the Vita titles weren't added to the IGC until around October. Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Wipeout should still remain free on PS+ for a while.

Bullza2o

No worries I don't plan on buying any Vita games for the rest of the year --FFX/X-2 is a maybe. Got plenty of PS+ Vita games and 3DS/Wii U games later in the year.

There was a GameStop poster that leaked May's PS+ games, I think. They weren't anything special.
Aw man another month wasted if true. Good thing I still have 12 months left.

Top Bottom