• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | September 2013 | Token Indie Thread

How is Soul Sacrifice? Is it any good? I fell in love with Monster Hunter Ultimate (500ish hours), but the SS demo...I dunno.

There is a used copy at GameStop that I'd considered purchasing (26$), but then I'd need an online pass, right?

Honest opinions welcome, now that the game has been out a while.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
How is Soul Sacrifice? Is it any good? I fell in love with Monster Hunter Ultimate (500ish hours), but the SS demo...I dunno.

There is a used copy at GameStop that I'd considered purchasing (26$), but then I'd need an online pass, right?

Yes, it is very good, but if you didn't like the demo, you'd probably not like the game.

At first I didn't like the game. Stopped about 5 hours in, I found it took way too long to kill bosses and it got really boring.

Went back to it a few weeks ago though and ended up really liking it. I played a sacrifice-heavy (rather than save-heavy) build, which boosted my attack a lot and fixed my big issue with it. From there on I enjoyed the game a lot more. The writing is really good too, something I REALLY did not expect.

But yeah, you'd have to buy the online pass if you got it used.

At first I didn't like the game. Stopped about 5 hours in, I found it took way too long to kill bosses and it got really boring.

Went back to it a few weeks ago though and ended up really liking it. I played a sacrifice-heavy (rather than save-heavy) build, which boosted my attack a lot and fixed my big issue with it. From there on I enjoyed the game a lot more. The writing is really good too, something I REALLY did not expect.

But yeah, you'd have to buy the online pass if you got it used.

The game is amazing.
I've sank like 120+ hours into it.
I did not like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (wasted $10 there), but I love this.
I love the setting, the combat, the artistic direction, everything.
I love that we're STILL getting free DLC.
And the online is phenomenal.

Danneee

I'm perfectly fine with my "hobby", thanks.

And I think it's more than "me and a couple other anal guys", but hey, that's just my take on it.

Yeah, would the better alternative be no Rayman Legends on Vita then? It's not like they're dropping content out of spite.

The game is amazing.
I've sank like 120+ hours into it.
I did not like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (wasted $10 there), but I love this.
I love the setting, the combat, the artistic direction, everything.
I love that we're STILL getting free DLC.
And the online is phenomenal.

Yup. I don't like monster hunter much but I really liked the game. Free DLC is always good too.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

So the VITA version is finally getting a demo now. I will definitely try it out and see how it plays on VITA. I hope it has Murphy levels included so that i can understand the frustration associated with them. I heard the character is auto controlled if we use Murphy.

So the VITA version is finally getting a demo now. I will definitely try it out and see how it plays on VITA. I hope it has Murphy levels included so that i can understand the frustration associated with them. I heard the character is auto controlled if we use Murphy.

If it's the same demo that all the other platforms got it will have a Murphy level right at the start.

The character is indeed auto-controlled during those. On 360/PS3/PC you get to control the character like normal and press the circle/B button to make Murphy do his actions. I actually like this a lot better because I found the auto-controlled touch levels to be pretty boring.

Apath

I'm not sure if it was already pointed out, but PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is $10 on Amazon (US) right now.

Yeah, would the better alternative be no Rayman Legends on Vita then? It's not like they're dropping content out of spite.

Hey, if you're happy supporting it with only getting a percentage of the game's content, good for you, hope you like it.

But people who feel the same as I do will buy it on PC/PS3/360/WiiU instead, if we buy it at all.

It's just disappointing because Origins was a near perfect port of a great game and Legends had a shot at providing something the other platforms couldn't handle. But now if you decide to go with the Vita port you pay the price in terms of cut content (unless Ubisoft releases a statement indicating they're going to provide it in some sort of patch/downloadable content).

If it's the same demo that all the other platforms got it will have a Murphy level right at the start.

The character is indeed auto-controlled during those. On 360/PS3/PC you get to control the character like normal and press the circle/B button to make Murphy do his actions. I actually like this a lot better because I found the auto-controlled touch levels to be pretty boring.

I agree. I still think they should have given Vita/WiiU owners the option to control Murphy or control the character instead of just forcing Murphy on us.

It's just disappointing because Origins was a near perfect port of a great game and Legends had a shot at providing something the other platforms couldn't handle. But now if you decide to go with the Vita port you pay the price in terms of cut content (unless Ubisoft releases a statement indicating they're going to provide it in some sort of patch/downloadable content).
Origins VITA even had extra content in the form of relics. Even though i hated collecting them, they did add a little more value to the game and the paintings that they unlocked were short but funny.

Apath

It would only end up being Japan-only.
Do companies do this because the cost of localization is too high, or because they can't justify shipping out X amount of copies? If it's the latter, I figured digital release being a viable option would alleviate this issue.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Do companies do this because the cost of localization is too high, or because they can't justify shipping out X amount of copies? If it's the latter, I figured digital release being a viable option would alleviate this issue.

for Bravely Default situation what Takao mean is it's because of Nintendo is publishing it in NA/EU, so Vita only chance to get it is in Japan (because Nintendo don't have the publishing rights for the game in Japan)

Does anyone know where those comparisons of Origin's Levels and Legends version of Origin's levels screenshots are?

I saw them somewhere but I can't find them again.

I looked in the August thread and Rayman OT.

Apath

for Bravely Default situation what Takao mean is it's because of Nintendo is publishing it in NA/EU, so Vita only chance to get it is in Japan (because Nintendo don't have the publishing rights for the game in Japan)
Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

Famassu

Cost of localization can be high, the game cards that 3DS & Vita use are actually quite expensive (PSP's UMDs are actually a fair bit cheaper, which is why PSP was somewhat more popular to localize super-niche games than DS) + there's the fact that Square Enix, Konami, Namco, Capcpom & the like are quite big companies and sales that could be considered good or even great for Atlus and especially miniscule companies like XSEED who only have, like, 5 employees, are perhaps not good enough for those kinds of big companies. They often not only spend more on localization (possibly bigger games fully voice-acted by bigger names, localized to more languages, lip-synced etc.), they also spend more on just day to day operations that there might not be sense in localizing games if they aren't guaranteed to make certain amount of profit.

Shoyz

The Japanese updated version of BD apparently has an English text option, so Japan-only would work perfectly still. Not that port hoping is ever worth it.

omg_mjd

Yay, new thread.

Finally added $50 to my PSN wallet. Deciding between Dragon's Crown and Atelier Meruru Plus. Since I spent a couple of hours yesterday playing Muramasa Rebirth non-stop and loving the art and combat (Chaos mode), I'm thinking DC is a no brainer. But I want to get Meruru though since Totori was great and I definitely want more of the same.

I know the right answer is to get them both.

RalchAC

Yay, new thread.

Finally added $50 to my PSN wallet. Deciding between Dragon's Crown and Atelier Meruru Plus. Since I spent a couple of hours yesterday playing Muramasa Rebirth non-stop and loving the art and combat (Chaos mode), I'm thinking DC is a no brainer. But I want to get Meruru though since Totori was great and I definitely want more of the same.

Why don't you get Meruru? You have your VanillaWare fix with Muramasa for now. You can buy Atelier, have a good JRPG in your Vita and jump to DC when you have finished Muramasa.

shink

For Aussies, looks like the price drop is happening this week.
DSE has a 3G bundle with Killzone for $258, or just the Wifi bundle with LBPV and 4GB for $258. Nothing in JB's latest catalog though.

Aytrial

DSE has a 3G bundle with Killzone for $258, or just the Wifi bundle with LBPV and 4GB for $258. Nothing in JB's latest catalog though.

Price drop actually took effect today everywhere. RRP is $269.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Price dropped in NZ as well. $298 is the new RRP here.

Seems like a fantastic price. As a launch day owner I have got my money's worth at the original price, let alone any discount.

Now with the library of games available, and the cheaper price, hopefully its a better value proposition for people and the install base will grow a bunch.

Tsunamo

Price drop actually took effect today everywhere. RRP is $269.
It's pretty crazy how the system went down from about $400 at launch to that in around a year and a half, its RRP is only $20 more than the 3DSXL here.

I'm so used to systems being expensive here along with software, but the handheld market's become alot easier on pricing than before here (from what I remember anyway)

Well, my 32gb card finally arrived from Amazon last week (£40, oh yeah) , allowing me to use my Vita for something other than playing Virtue's Last Reward (which is still fantastic). That meant I was able to play the cards of Soul Sacrifice and P4G finally, as well as download the massive stock of PS+ games I had on my download list. Before this, I was partially regretting my Vita purchase, but now I can firmly say I'm in love with the system.

I only ever got about 1/3 of the way through Persona 4 before
just before fighting Shadow Mitsuo
, and am almost back to where I was. This game is phenomenal. I had forgotten just how good it was. It is sucking away all my free time.

Soul Sacrifice, however, is the unexpected gem here. I though it looked pretty cool from screens and trailers, but that didn't remotely prepare me for how goddamn *fun* the game is to play, not to mention how enjoyable its very Berserk-esque story is. I love reading up on all the lore behind the bosses, and the gameplay is strangely addictive. The setting and aesthetics of the work and fantastic, though.

Other than these, the only other game I've started so far has been Gravity Rush, which is quite different to how I imagined it but quite interesting. I have another bunch of downloads as well, but haven't had a chance to start them.

I also suspect the Vita's interface allowing me to switch to an internet browser will help immensely once I do my second runthrough of P4G and want to max all the social links...

HT UK

Do we know when the embargo is up for Killzone Mercenary?

I know it's out on Wednesday in Europe. Friday here in the UK.

Yay, new thread.

I highly recommend Dragon's Crown. Can't say about Atelier... Cause i haven't played it

Well, I had to ask. :p

I've yet to find any such group of people near me who get together to game on a regular basis, and I've looked into it quite a bit. :/ One day...

Whenever I use Near it routinely finds 55+ players around me.
Organize one yourself over Craigslist or something. Should not be difficult with that many Vitas around you.

I just saw a message from last night that the Killzone Mercenary automatic download (preload) failed to complete and I cannot find a way to manually restart it.

Even from my dl list I do not get the option to do it. Is there a way I can download it manually?

I personally think its fantastic but again I don't like Monster Hunter. Seems to be a common thing. Soul sacrifice doesn't have the grinding for potions and gather stuff. Also the fights take 5-20 mins on average depending on what your fighting and set up (some take less and some take more than this range to). Its much more focused on the combat and is 100% spell based. So in MH you would gather parts and grind monsters to build a new weapon, in SS you get spells and parts for new sigils instead. It has a very different feel to MH.

Its combat system also makes it very varied and you can very much tailor your character to play how you like. Some might opt for going all out close range spells, some might use only long range. Personally I ended up using blankets (AOE over time spell) and mines to lock the enemy in a hell state then use a gollum while its locked down. There are also evasion and heal spells plus a number of support spells which allows even more play styles when you go online.

It really is a fantastic game but just like MH it sure isn't for everyone. The demo is pretty big and should give you a decent idea about if you like it or not.

-----------------

Ohh its the 2nd. I should be able to download my KZ pre-order today ready for friday release.

Currently playing NLKS and Spelunky still. NLKS is just kinda relaxing. Its not pulling me in but I like to go in and chill on it for an hour. Spelunky is just crazy hard and adictive. Amazing how a game that prob averages a few mins per play can absorb so much time. Currently learning the jungle as I finally unlocked the tunnel to it. I wish the ghost didn't exist but I guess its to force you to play at a reasonable pace. Oh and I still really like the uncharted card game lol.

Just looked on amazon. You can get 32 gig card for £39.99 and that Vita budle with 10 games and 8 gig card is only £169. Thats a crazy good deal. Sure there is a bunch of filler games on there but Wipeout, LBP and motorstorm RC are all great.

I have a digital preorder for Killzone Mercenary and the download automatically started 6 hours ago but there wasn't enough space on my mem card. I made enough space now, but how can I start the download again?

shaqnosis

Neo Member
When do the long-term IGC games (Gravity Rush and U:GA) refresh? Has there been any hints on what is gonna replace them?

Yeah, I'll be getting that bundle and selling Killzone (as I want to go all digital) to put towards a memory card and PS+. Unless there is a better deal that anyone is aware of?

Phii

Banned
I have a digital preorder for Killzone Mercenary and the download automatically started 6 hours ago but there wasn't enough space on my mem card. I made enough space now, but how can I start the download again?

I've the same situation here. Tried to uncheck and recheck the automatic download option for the game in store but no progress.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Even though these comments are negative, it actually makes me want to buy it more :p Really just want an old school-ish RPG to play. After playing Persona 4 Golden (oh god I've clocked 95 hours and I still haven't even seen and done everything), I just started to miss random battles, cliche storylines, and typical leveling systems. Really wish I had just bought the thing during that FF sale a whiles back. I did buy FF9 then but I just can't seem to get into it.

I just feel the urge to buy something even though I still have a backlog of games to play.

There are many awesome jrpgs on psp, buy something else, it's nothing like p4 and if you didn't like ff9 why should you like an even more archaic final fantasy?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Why don't you get Meruru? You have your VanillaWare fix with Muramasa for now. You can buy Atelier, have a good JRPG in your Vita and jump to DC when you have finished Muramasa.
DC's online community is only going to dwindle as time passes though, already seems to have taken a sharp drop recently. Meruru will be fine whenever he's ready, and maybe get a discount if he waits long enough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm super hooked with TWD Vita.

Then I should probably move on to Tales of Xillia, I'm in the last dungeon already.

anddo0

Rayman Legends is still day 1 for me.

I really only do time trials in Mario Kart.

I don't play the trails much. I play the early game ones that are doable. But once they get frustrating, I don't even bother.. That being said, the fact that I know they aren't there makes Rayman Legends Vita, feel like a gimped game. I'm leaning towards waiting for a price cut or free PS+...Then again, by that time it might be $7.50 to $10 on Steam. I really want the game, but Vita is the only platform I was willing to pay full price for it.

Top Bottom