• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSX compatibility list (Bad, SCEA! Bad!)

PaulLFC

What on earth is that? Disappointed is an understatement. It's taken them this long to get PSOne support working and that's the best they can do?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
nxkih3.jpg.gif

If people can remember, every PS1 game was not initially compatible with PS3 when firmware was released to allow PS1 downloads to work on PS3. Took a little time until every game worked on PS3....although the list of games was much smaller at the time.

People probably figured they could just port over the same emulator from PS3 or PSP to Vita, but in reality, the PS1 emulator is likely to work different on Vita causing them to make each game work individually.
What on earth is that? Disappointed is an understatement. It's taken them this long to get PSOne support working and that's the best they can do?

They have to re-emulate each PS1 game for Vita like they did for PS3.

Well that's absurd.

I feel as though this will be a thing like vita PSP compatibility where this is the "official" list and there will be much more that work

iammeiam

This is not a compatability list, it's just a list of titles they have for download.

Which means it's basically a crapshoot for the rest of the titles, all in the name of letting SCEA look like they're providing Vita content by drip-feeding out compatibility.

This is amazingly pathetic no matter what--maybe 10 games would have been acceptable if this was a patch shortly after launch, but we're three quarters of a year out from the launch in Japan. This is downright shameful.

Synless

I just redownloaded every ps1 game I had in preparation for this and they spring this clusterfuck on me!!!

Teknoman

Seriously what about this:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/ps-vita-update-180-enables-psone-classics

Finally PSone games are coming to Vita tomorrow (hell yeah!). And though we haven’t received an official listing of every compatible title, MonkeyPaw Games has. It appears that games like Toomba!, Arc the Lad 1 & 2, Vanguard Bandits, and Alundra will all be available for download when the Classics go live. MonkeyPaw Games president John Greiner had this to say about the release:

“With these fine classics soon available on PS Vita, gamers will have access to our best RPG and action titles… Games like Tomba!, Arc the Lad and Alundra are a blast to play on the go. And now gamers can easily share these classic PlayStation experiences with their friends.”

Chesskid1

Banned
if they release new games weekly, it will keep people checking the story every week.

haha, just kidding, im not defending sony. wtf is this :<

Glix

if they release new games weekly, it will keep people checking the story every week.

haha, just kidding, im not defending sony. wtf :<

Give me actual reasons to check the store, not like this RAGHGHGHARRHAHAR!!!!

OMG Takao, that gif is killing me.

MrBS

Apparently '100 titles at launch' means something else over at Sony...

I want Vagrant Story :(
I just redownloaded every ps1 game I had in preparation for this and they spring this clusterfuck on me!!!
I was going to do that but then I thought that Sony might screw us. I didn't want to be right!

salromano

I think that these are the only titles you can BUY through PS Vita. However, you should be able to transfer your PSone Classics purchased through PS3, yeah?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Well that list convinced me to drop $250 on a PSV. Back in a bit...

Edit: Wow. Check that title: Don Mesa // Director, Handheld Consoles Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

Poor schmuck. I mean, the whole Vita debacle can't be his fault, but imagine going off to another job saying that was your title during this particular period in Sony's history. :(

Amory

.......what the hell.

Sony just can't get out of their own way with this system. It took them this long to get that many PSX games working on it? Considering they're hoping this will tide us over until some actual native games come out for the damn thing, this is pathetic.

Even if the EU PSone classics compatibility list is bigger. We have less of them on the EU PSN to begin with (lol Spyro and Klonoa...;_;)

Maybe Sony decided it was better to gradually phase a batch of titles in, to give a bunch of titles chance to shine. I mean most people will likely go for Final Fantasy and one or two of these other titles, overshadowing the others. That seems pretty reasonable to me if that's the case.

That and Vita could do with a weekly something or other right now, to keep Vita owners on their toes while we hold out for LBP and Little Kings Story

Apparently '100 titles at launch' means something else over at Sony...

Well that explains why they aren't to concerned about the PSV sales base. The number slook good to them. 9...100...

Units sold 2 million...19 million isn't that bad guys.

Would you rather wait until maybe November/December when they can get all games emulated to run on Vita, or would you rather get the emulator now and have a slow trickle of games?

It's just like the PS1 emulator for PS3 all over again. Just because a PS1 emulator works a certain way on PSP, PS2, etc. does not mean it will work the same on the next platform. Like with the PS3, they have to emulate each game assuring it works with the emulator. A game may run fine on PSP/PS3, but run into issues on Vita.

They have to re-emulate each PS1 game for Vita like they did for PS3.

Not true. On PSP, nearly 80% of PS1 games were compatible since they implemented the PS1 compatibility. I remember that with custom firmware you were able to rip your own eboots (that were a slight modification from the ISO file of the CD) for titles that weren't on the store. With consecutive updates, they enhanced the compatibility, allowed multidisc, etc, but the day the PS1 emulator was done on PSP, most of the titles were emulated without errors.

Takao

Banned
I will avatar bet someone that come tomorrow a huge chunk, if not all the PS1 titles on PSN will work via PS3 transfer, and that this is a very shameless ploy by SCEA to give the appearance that Vita is getting content every week.

Not true. On PSP, nearly 80% of PS1 games were compatible since they implemented the PS1 compatibility. I remember that with custom firmware you were able to rip your own eboots (that were a slight modification from the ISO file of the CD) for titles that weren't on the store. With consecutive updates, they enhanced the compatibility, allowed multidisc, etc, but the day the PS1 emulator was done on PSP, most of the titles were emulated without errors.

Yeah... I was playing Tomba 2 shortly after. >.>

AleeN634

Yeah the video mentions the PSOne games will be showing up in phased releases but the launch lineup is very disappointing. I was hoping to get all the Final Fantasy games up and running.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I will avatar bet someone that come tomorrow a huge chunk, if not all the PS1 titles on PSN will work via PS3 transfer, and that this is a very shameless ploy by SCEA to give the appearance that Vita is getting content every week.

Duh

V_Ben

Banned

Of course it is! Its just the dumbest possible way to handle an announcement like this! Bwahaha.

Top Bottom