• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita's $50 million marketing campaign detailed

All Japan needs is Monster Hunter for the Vita to sell itself though which is pretty much inevitable. We have no idea how a portable COD will sell in the US.

Then Sony should just take a bit of that $50 million and moneyhat the ever loving shit out of Capcom for a new Monster Hunter on Vita to be announced as soon as possible, and bring the system back to a much more viable position in Japan like the PSP did and watch the system and game support flow afterwards.

Toki767

And we all know how well that worked.

70 million sold worldwide?

Then Sony should just take a bit of that $50 million and moneyhat the ever loving shit out of Capcom for a new Monster Hunter on Vita to be announced as soon as possible, and bring the system back to a much more viable position in Japan like the PSP did and watch the system and game support flow afterwards.

I don't think SCEJ really controls SCEA's funds.
Except I'm sure they do.

All Japan needs is Monster Hunter for the Vita to sell itself though which is pretty much inevitable. We have no idea how a portable COD will sell in the US.

It's not inevitable; even if Vita does get a proper MH with significant Vita-exclusive content, the series isn't going to singlehandedly save Vita there (due to being on 3DS as well), at least not to the extent it did on PSP.

As for COD, well: is there an audience for it? Probably. Is that audience, and that for handheld dudebro games in general, large enough to sustain a platform on its own? I very much doubt it.

entremet

Why are people surprised about the target demo?

The thing is 250 bucks, not exactly for kiddies or casuals, hence the 8 hour plus requirement.

As for the other markets, that's all about iOS/Android. Apple has that expanded market.

NateDrake

COD isn't the Monster Hunter of North America. The hardcore COD players aren't going to buy a Vita and COD on Vita just to take it on the go with them. People need to stop thinking COD Vita is going to be the title that makes people suddenly say "Wow, Vita is awesome! It has COD!!"

Toki767

Well yea, but which demographic actually ended up as the majority of those sales? (genuine question)

I'd imagine teens or something along those lines. I'm sure SCEA will switch their target demographics when the Vita drops in price. For now it just makes sense to go after the people who probably do have the disposable income to afford it.

Apath

The thing is 250 bucks, not exactly for kiddies or casuals, hence the 8 hour plus requirement.

As for the other markets, that's all about iOS/Android. Apple has that expanded market.
Why wouldn't they at least try? IMO they should be doing their best to get every single person who plays games on their cell phones. It's a whole new market filled with people who play games, and it's still growing.

Kusagari

Not surprised, I expected them to go after this demo. I just don't see it being successful at all.

plainr_

iuYuxnmtqRB1v.gif

jman2050

So they have a 250 dollar product and no one to sell it to? Not even Nintendo could pull that off, much less Sony.

Toki767

Why wouldn't they at least try? IMO they should be doing their best to get every single person who plays games on their cell phones. It's a whole new market filled with people who play games, and it's still growing.

Wouldn't it be correct to guess that most people who have smartphones and play games on them are the people in their late teens and 20s?

entremet

So they have a 250 dollar product and no one to sell it to? Not even Nintendo could pull that off, much less Sony.

Um what? Their target demo is who they're gonna to sell the system to. It's pretty clear.

For 250 bucks and 30 to 40 dollars games? Sorry, but smartphones have filled that role. Dedicated handhelds are gonna be dying breed soon. I saw this as fan of them, but the writing is on the wall.

Toki767

Maybe, but they're definitely not mostly people who own a PS3.

Ha. Indeed. Compatibility with the PS3 is a nice extra, but they should really be pushing the Vita on its own. I can imagine a lot of people thinking "I don't have a PS3, so why should I get a Vita?"

Apath

Targeting that demo will get them nowhere.
I just feel if they're about to begin "the largest platform launch in terms of marketing investment we’ve ever had,” they should go for the throat. If they're targeting the "safe crowd" wouldn't a modest budget suffice? Why go all out on the easy target?

For 250 bucks and 30 to 40 dollars games? Sorry, but smartphones have filled that role. Dedicated handhelds are gonna be dying breed soon. I saw this as fan of them, but the writing is on the wall.
It will be if dedicated gaming handhelds don't try and get in on their chunk of the pie. If their market is shrinking they need to expand to other markets.

entremet

Targeting that demo will get them nowhere. They should have aimed for kids too.

The pricing is killing them though, plus the lack of kid friendly franchises, something Nintendo rectified quickly to stimulate sales. Mario titles plus price drop. Don't forget the memory card, which as at least 30 bucks to the system.

jman2050

Um what? Their target demo is who they're gonna to sell the system to. It's pretty clear.

It just seems odd to target early adopters with marketing money when they probably are going to buy the system anyway. Especially considering how small and narrow that demo is.

Every single thread it's someone.

Erethian

The age group they're targetting doesn't surprise me so much as the fact they're going after existing PS3 owners.

Console-owning western gamers aren't exactly a lucrative audience for handhelds, especially when you're trying to get them to buy the same games on the Vita as they can already buy on a PS3. Like for the PS3 they already own.

Foffy

Banned

You know what's sad? Considering the awfulawfulawful marketing Sony's doing with Vita, that the gif seems accurate..

Dedicated handhelds are gonna be dying breed soon.

I hate these doom and gloom claims. Because console games sell more than PC, does that mean PC games aren't worth peoples' time? I think that same situation is similar in principle for the phones and portables.

entremet

It just seems odd to target early adopters with marketing money when they probably are going to buy the system anyway. Especially considering how small and narrow that demo is.

Every single thread it's someone.

I just dont' see a casual gamer willing to drop 250 bucks on a dedicated handheld, especially in this economy. This has really been Sony's MO since the PSone, which was targeted to teens, who grew up on Nintendo and Sega. As their systems get higher install bases, you saw a diversity in marketing, remember the Hannah Montana PSPs? They didn't come out until 3 or 4 years after the PSP was released.

FGMPR

Banned
LOL did I just hear $50 million?

And most American men in their 20s won't be caught dead playing a portable system in public.

Are you serious? I'm not American, but as a 28 Y.O I've never thought twice about what image I present to the outside world when I play 3ds or PSP in public.

Top Bottom