• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita's $50 million marketing campaign detailed

I'm not sure there's going to be enough unique content to get PS3 users to also get a Vita. Seems like third-parties would be mostly interested in ports or spinoffs.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
http://youtu.be/XGSAme5J9Sc

Vita Ad. As dumb as Sony has been for awhile

M9cOJ.gif

entremet

I'd wager the COD demographic both skews much younger and much more Microsoft than that.

Well if that's the case (it may or may not be) then Sony was screwed long before this point.

You don't think there's enough hardcore gamers to make the Vita successful?

entremet

There are probably enough for it to tread water, if that's what Sony really wants.

To be honest, it's a great looking piece of kit. I'll get one when it gets a price drop, but I do think the Vita was designed for the Japanese market in mind. It is essentially the PS4, especially as game development and game sales shifts to portables.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
When you look at the UI of the Vita, it gives an idea of what exactly they're planning. It looks colourful, accessible and is a complete contrast to the XMB. Targeting their core demographic now gives them time to build the library and make the system more attractive when the first price drop eventually comes. They cannot do this earlier because the system is not suitable for mass market at the current price point for the games and hardware, so it is pretty much a logical move. The PSP lost its way after the core audience lapped it up, and it was mainly because the system just wasn't suited to mass market adoption at that stage. Sony has the right idea with Vita, they just need to execute it well - the current marketing efforts are pretty underwhelming to say the least.

Who SHOULD their ad campaign target then? Young kids? Casual gamers? Teens?

They should be targeting the Ipod touch demo, not the Iphone demo.
How do they do that right now as a dedicated gaming handheld at $250? I think a price drop is needed or a more fully functioning device with features on par with the iPod touch. I fail to see how it succeeds going after that market considering the iPod dominates it. I think Sony would be best served doing what Microsoft did with the 360. Planting it in the hands of hardcore gamers and enthusiasts and then dropping the price and targeting children and other demographics.

The hardcore Sony enthusiasts already know that Vita exists. They shouldn't be blowing their wad advertising to that group.

360 launch commercials were not targeted at enthusiasts or the hardcore. Example 1

JABEE

Yes, Yes, and Yes?

How do they do that right now as a dedicated gaming handheld at $250? I think a price drop is needed or a more fully functioning device with features on par with the iPod touch. I fail to see how it succeeds going after that market considering the iPod dominates it. I think Sony would be best served doing what Microsoft did with the 360. Planting it in the hands of hardcore gamers and enthusiasts and then dropping the price and targeting children and other demographics.

I legitimately don't know, because I don't know who the Vita was actually designed to appeal to. It's a Frankenstein console.

It's a console designed with significant power under the hood, a wealth of control inputs including dual analog sticks, and social OS features that trump what's on consoles.

Frankenstein console? Seems like a well designed hardcore console, with enough versatility to appeal to causal audiences down the line once the price drops significantly and the software matures.

JABEE

They should be targeting the Ipod touch demo, not the Iphone demo.

I don't really understand what you're saying? How does Sony at $250 compete with the iPod Touch? I think going after the core and then expanding once you reach a price is the best option.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I legitimately don't know, because I don't know who the Vita was actually designed to appeal to. It's a Frankenstein console.

That's why I asked the question. They have a hardcore gaming device. The target demographic seems right, but those people already know what's happening and have no need for the marketing. No one else seems to even have it on their radar, and even if awareness is raised through this ad campaign, there's little software that can be classified as killer-apps for those demographics.

I'm thinking this is the really the best that they really can do. (Strategy-wise, not ad-wise. That teaser was atrocious.)

Massa

For the armchair marketing people in this thread:

While Ryan acknowledged that day one Vita buyers will be "our good old core gaming demographic", he said the company "will look to... go younger rather more quickly and deliberately than we did with PSP.

"You won't see that so much in 2012, and in 2013 we'll still be very much at the core of it, but shortly after that a lot of the business strategy will be [based] around targeting a somewhat younger demographic."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329590/sony-female-market-the-untapped-holy-grail/

That's an SCEE boss talking, but don't expect SCEA to be any different.

Rengoku

Neither demo are really going to want to pay that much for games. The iPod Touch demo more so than the iPhone demo.

At the end of the day, its about the game exclusives on the Vita's platform. Sony needs to get a full blown Call of Duty game out stat! That'll sell systems.

$50 Million.

$50 Million. For a new console launch, it sounds just a little thin. You have to spend money to make money in this business. I just don't get Sony...

I don't really understand what you're saying? How does Sony at $250 compete with the iPod Touch? I think going after the core and then expanding once you reach a price is the best option.

Comparing something like the Ipod which uses the same exact OS and marketplace than the Iphone which is like nearly ~$2000 2 year contract for most carriers when everything is said and done ($1-2 games, ZOMG!) is a bit apt in restrospect.

People talk of cheap gaming, yet the constantly monthly entry to own a Iphone is anything but, I mean really, you can get about like 20+ full retail games a year to equate the Iphone contract on AT&T/Verizon.

I dropped my Iphone to go prepay personally because I couldn't stomach the long run costs anymore.

jman2050

Shouldnt you start smaller and then afterwards build up to other groups?

Wasnt that what microsoft did with the 360?

1. The 360 was the first console out of the gate and thus could afford to do that.

2. They still paid for it anyway when Nintendo pulled the rug under them by aggressively courting the mass market from day one. Microsoft was indeed able to successfully rebuild their entire Xbox paradigm to cater to a portion of that crowd when the Wii weakened, but it shouldn't have come to that.

Really though, I guess I'm not skeptical of this particular ad campaign more than I am of the Vita's entire design philosophy from its conception. From a business standpoint anyway, it's certainly a nifty device ignoring all of that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There are probably enough for it to tread water, if that's what Sony really wants.

i dont understand where the sentiment of hardcore gamers can't sustain a platform anymore. if anything, there should be MORE hardcore gamers than there ever were before since gaming has exploded in popularity recently.

Piggus

i dont understand where the sentiment of hardcore gamers can't sustain a platform anymore. if anything, there should be MORE hardcore gamers than there ever were before since gaming has exploded in popularity recently.

The PS3 and the 360 don't exist. You were lied to!

1 out of 10 Ipod touch buyers deciding to get a Vita instead would be a huge boost to Sony leading up to the holiday period. I think 1 out of 10 is an attainable goal, especially with the features the Vita can offer above and beyond the ipod touch.

Top Bottom