• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition won't back down to negative feedback on Saints Row reboot trailer - says its just a shock reaction

Javthusiast

Banned
I'm struggling to see what is so woke with the game? Especially woke enough to spit the vitriol seen here? Does having non white characters mean woke now? I don't get it.

Do you people realize you're acting like the bizarro of the the woke crowd you hate so much? Constantly picking apart everything and getting offended by wokeness, phantom or real. It's bizarre behavior.

I don't know, maybe the devs saying we can't do stuff we did in 2010 in the games because we live in a different time and the tone has to be changed now to reflect it. What tone do you think that could possibly be?

Boss Mog

EA tried that before with BF1, and it worked well bashing their fans.

Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
It was BFV. The WW2 game with disabled women leading the charge on the frontlines.

Last edited:
If I walked into my local Taco Bell to give myself diarrhea and someone had taken a shit on the floor I would be shocked.

If the guys running Volition ran that Taco Bell they would make sure there is always a fresh shit on the floor based on my reaction.

Shut0wen

I just wish the series went back to its roots and took heavily inspiration from SR2 the game was a perfect mox of serious and not being serious and it came accross way less cringey as the ones after it, it was alot like gta 3, vice city and san andres and while rockstar has took a dramatic change to distance itself from what it was before they could of capitalised on it but instead gave us this shit

Papacheeks

Banned
I bet you everything that they listened to this song as they made this game knowing saints row identity was well established in saints row 3:

carlosrox

Banned
At the end of the day they shouldn't back down of course as it's already too late but maybe take the feedback to heart - and I don't mean the actual whiners but the people with well meaning, well thought out criticisms.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not every idea is a winner. Good gameplay could save this game, but this one is looking like a miss. Devs will regret not backing down once they see their sales.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Let's not do that, please.

I don't like the trailer, you don't like the trailer, but let him like the trailer if he wants to.

We (this community) can have a nice game-related argument without name calling. Cause we're all cool like that, right?
I hated every second of that trailers. It's probably worst gaming related media I saw in years. There was no single redeeming thing in it. I refuse to believe that anyone older than 10 years could like it.

sobaka770

Banned
I get the pain but let the devs make the game they want. Maybe Saints Row will sell even more by addressing a younger audience and the shift would be justified. Or maybe Volition will have 2 fails in a row and will have to crawl back to the original fan base with an apologetic return to form. Everyone wants to be on the edgy social issues train with Fortnite graphics. I don't necessarily see a problem with that but I can see how chasing trends is not always a good idea.

I get the pain but let the devs make the game they want. Maybe Saints Row will sell even more by addressing a younger audience and the shift would be justified. Or maybe Volition will have 2 fails in a row and will have to crawl back to the original fan base with an apologetic return to form. Everyone wants to be on the edgy social issues train with Fortnite graphics. I don't necessarily see a problem with that but I can see how chasing trends is not always a good idea.

I see the same mistakes like Dice did back with Battlefield V.

Let's see how this turns out. My prediction game will be available for huge discount a few weeks after release.

EDMIX

Are you 10 years old?

smh.

I don't get this whole thing of attacking gamers when they disagree.

GaF gamers have been wrong on many, many things regarding what they thought would flop or not. The gaming community in general loves exaggerating shit. JUST like how DICE's Battlefront 1 and Far Cry 5 where suppose to um "flop".

MaKTaiL

I'm out of the loop. What's wrong with the game? I saw the trailer and thought it was ok (never played or cared about Saint's Row).

Last edited:
I get the pain but let the devs make the game they want.
i doubt this is the game Volition wants to make. Agents of Mayhem was a huge flop for the studio. lots of people were laid off as a result. and now we have a "new" Saints Row that looks super-focus tested for 2021-sensibilities. if this brings in a new audience, than mission accomplished. for long time fans such as myself, it's a total letdown.

ReBurn

Gold Member
i doubt this is the game Volition wants to make. Agents of Mayhem was a huge flop for the studio. lots of people were laid off as a result. and now we have a "new" Saints Row that looks super-focus tested for 2021-sensibilities. if this brings in a new audience, than mission accomplished. for long time fans such as myself, it's a total letdown.
This is definitely the game Volition wanted to make. Why else would they make it?

JayK47

Doubling down is so hot right now. They are free to make the game any way they want. And free to have horrible sales. And free to blame it on everything but themselves. The more I see of this game the less I want it. I am clearly not the demographic. I guess that comes with age. Luckily I have plenty of other things to do. It does make me think of Saints Row and how they should release an HD version of the first two games in a single package for modern consoles and PC.

Pejo

This is definitely the game Volition wanted to make. Why else would they make it?
iu

Doubling down is so hot right now. They are free to make the game any way they want. And free to have horrible sales. And free to blame it on everything but themselves. The more I see of this game the less I want it. I am clearly not the demographic. I guess that comes with age. Luckily I have plenty of other things to do. It does make me think of Saints Row and how they should release an HD version of the first two games in a single package for modern consoles and PC.
Kinda sad, there was a guy and his friend that were porting SR2 to PC, but he just passed away from cancer (I think it was cancer). He even got hired by Volition to do the port. Not sure where the port stands now, but R.I.P.

Last edited:
I’m out of the loop here. What’s the issue?

Volition isn't making games the same way they did a decade ago so people who are unhealthily wrapped up in their nostalgia/anti woke warriors fighting on the front lines are cringe inducingly losing their shit.

Meanwhile instead of just trucking along and making the game to whatever vision they choose and ignoring the frothy masses, Volition (or at least one person working for Volition) appears to be having a mental breakdown on Twitter, insulting fans and acting like a douche. This didn't work out well for Dice and BFV and I suspect it won't work out well for Volition either.

Lanrutcon

Keeping the studio open. Their last game was so bad that, at some point, they laid off around 25% of their staff. The game before that didn't do so hot either. They need a win now. The new game is about money.

This may or may not be the game that they want to make, but if the game they want to make isn't their best shot at a commercial success then they can't afford to make it right now. That's pretty obvious.

So I guess they're betting a lot on this.

DryvBy

Can someone clue me in? Did they go woke or something? I didn't like the clown characters (I wanted more gangsters to fight, not garbage rave bad guys). But what am I missing? Other than that, I thought it looked decent. All though it looks like it won't have a lot of gore sadly.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can someone clue me in? Did they go woke or something? I didn't like the clown characters (I wanted more gangsters to fight, not garbage rave bad guys). But what am I missing? Other than that, I thought it looked decent. All though it looks like it won't have a lot of gore sadly.

Have you considered, you know... reading through the thread?

"This is the game we wanted to make! We hope you'll enjoy it!"

There, done without antagonizing your fanbase.
💯 ^

The internet will never lose, they can never get as petty as people can online. So the above comment by Fuz Fuz would have been the smart thing to do.

Look what happened to Halo infinite and Craig... :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Halo is a beloved franchise and even MS had to delay the game a year because of the negative outrage online.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Look, I'm all for creative freedom no matter how cringe that shit is if it's a new IP but if you're doing like the fifth iteration in a game franchise you can't just say "fuck everything that made this game popular and fuck everyone who enjoyed this series, we're starting over". You have to abide by some of the rules that made the game popular in the first place.

Top Bottom