• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

While we're at it, Keith is Zuko, almost down to the tee when you see Zuko with his hair down. Also because of being prone to anger but actually decent in hand to hand combat.

And Lance is clearly Sokka with his hair down too.

Hero

I like Space Ty Lee. :3
tumblr_ou7brl9D5x1wv1aljo1_500.png

She's totally getting with Space Sokka.

Wilsongt

In terms of Haggar
making her Altean totally sets up the plotpoint of Lotor being her son. He was half Altean in the original series.

Regarding Allura
Given that they are flagging a Keith/Allura relationship, it makes more sense that Allura will connect with the Red Lion over Lance.

Regarding Pidge
Pidge is awesome. That's all

Called it. The first part, anyway.

Called it. The first part, anyway.
Not sure that is definitively called.
Zarkon and Haggar are not shown to have a sexual relationship post-quintessence infusion, and in fact they made it a point to show that Haggar had lost her memory of their relationship in the process. Lotor is also not down to have the quintessence-fueled mania those two have, and we see no hint of him having been around before the incident.

Epcott

Ha ha, yeaaah... Keith is Space Zuko, Lance is Space Sokka, and Hunk is totally Space Bolin.

Loved the season, but like Castlevania, it ends too soon just as revelations build and things pick up. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I don't mind waiting for a longer, fleshed out season.

Also, what is with that
Shiro
escape?
I nearly thought he was watching himself being dissected, till I watched the episode a second time and realized it was a memory. Did Haggar have him kidnapped without Lotor's knowledge (since Lotor didn't seem to know initially a lion was missing until he put it together?

Nohar

So, Lotor seems to be the antithesis of his father...
Well, except he is not, once we see his real colors. Too bad, a wise prince could have been a good counterbalance, although he does seem cunnier than his father.
So, basically, this is a false Alucard.

Episode 3: Oh come on Keith.
You just decided to take the Idiot Ball and run with it. This is beyond stupid. For Christ's sake, just listen to Hunk: more than half of your team are in new lions, and Allura doesn't know how to pilot one at all! You can't even form Voltron, and you decide to follow an ace pilot inside a planet in which all of your censors are acting funny (and you can't even seem to be able to attack him all the while, you are just stupidly following him like a good dog).
WHAT. IS. WRONG. WITH. YOU?!

pbayne

4 epsiodes into the new season. Its alright so far. New villain makes a world of difference as it was probably the weakest aspect of the last 2 seasons.

So, Lotor seems to be the antithesis of his father...
Well, except he is not, once we see his real colors. Too bad, a wise prince could have been a good counterbalance, although he does seem cunnier than his father.
So, basically, this is a false Alucard.

Episode 3: Oh come on Keith.
You just decided to take the Idiot Ball and run with it. This is beyond stupid. For Christ's sake, just listen to Hunk: more than half of your team are in new lions, and Allura doesn't know how to pilot one at all! You can't even form Voltron, and you decide to follow an ace pilot inside a planet in which all of your censors are acting funny (and you can't even seem to be able to attack him all the while, you are just stupidly following him like a good dog).
WHAT. IS. WRONG. WITH. YOU?!

Their attempt to show that Keith is uncomfortable in
his leadership position
is commendable, but done in such a way it almost ruins how much development he made.

Episode 4

I marked the fuck out.
As soon as I heard that Swedish accent I'm like OH MY GOD IT'S SVEN!!!

So what do you think the odds are that
we'll not only run into the mirror universe again but circumstances will allow Sven to temporarily use Blue Lion in the Black Paladin Armor so we at least once have the entire original '84 team in their respective colors and lions?

StoneFox

So what do you think the odds are that
we'll not only run into the mirror universe again but circumstances will allow Sven to temporarily use Blue Lion in the Black Paladin Armor so we at least once have the entire original '84 team in their respective colors and lions?

Oh god that means we'll be exposed to gremlin Pidge and nobody wants that. ;P

I hope Lotor doesn't become a completely, unsympathetic antagonist.

that's likely where they're going though.

they already had him
chastise the lady in his team for failing at the mission and we don't know to what extent she will lost face with him.

I find it funny that it's confirmed that she's
the one Keith rescued from the belly of the beast. I guess the showmakers maybe don't want to ship Allura and Keith as much as I thought
since there were absolutely no hints of this in this season/first half.

pbayne

Just finished. Pretty weak season imo. Everything felt very rushed and a lot of what did happen felt either inconsequential or transitional for the next season.

Also there were a lot of cute references in the last episode.

Zarkon's home planet, Daibaazal, is named after Zarkon's name from Golion

Also Haggar's original name, Honerva, is her name from Golion as well

I was kind of hoping they would name Allura's mother "Fala" but not to be just yet. Maybe someday.

StoneFox

Also there were a lot of cute references in the last episode.

Zarkon's home planet, Daibaazal, is named after Zarkon's name from Golion

Also Haggar's original name, Honerva, is her name from Golion as well

I was kind of hoping they would name Allura's mother "Fala" but not to be just yet. Maybe someday.

Plus Allura's helmet was Sincline's helmet in Golion. Kinda weird, but it looked cute on her. :)

X-Frame

I know it's likely a very long shot, but I still wish that in the future seasons Netflix is able to obtain the ability to use the old 80's theme song, remastered for this show.

Hero

I know it's likely a very long shot, but I still wish that in the future seasons Netflix is able to obtain the ability to use the old 80's theme song, remastered for this show.

This is my biggest hope as well. That theme is one of the greatest.

I also feel in future seasons we may get vehicle force.

JSevere

just finished up season 3. solid bunch of episodes.
Prince Lotor and his generals are such great villains, and really bring a sort of presence that the series has been missing with its antagonists that's really welcome. I hope they continue to get fleshed out next season; ep 6 also set up an interesting parallel with Shiro mentoring Keith and Lotor mentoring Acxa that I'm excited to see them explore.

changing up the Paladins is also another shift in the show that helped to keep it fresh, pink paladin Allura's been a long time coming and I was glad to see her step into that role. regarding the ongoing plot, I really wasn't expecting the show to dip into alternate universes/realities, but it's a cool way to continue to expand the scope. ep 7 was fantastic in giving the old Paladins backstories and retroactively made Zarkon and Haggar greater characters.

the battle for leadership of the Galra Empire between Zarkon and Lotor is going to be really fascinating to see unfold if the writers decide to go down that path. also looking forward to getting more worldbuilding as they show off more planets and the repercussions of Voltron throughout the universe; there was some of that in ep 1 and it'll undoubtedly come as they build up the Voltron Coalition, and I think it'll really help the world of the show come alive.

Yeah. Even if they can't, I wish they'd redo the current theme song. The lead melody is way too understated. They need to match the bombast of the horns blaring from the original. The current one isn't hype enough.

Rewatched S3 over the last couple of days, a couple of thoughts about episode 5 specifically:

When Shiro's pod is escaping from the ship and it takes a hit, the Galra looks at the monitor and says "Notify command headquarters. Operation Kuron stage three is underway". That suggests to me that allowing his escape was intentional and he's a plant inside Team Voltron. Maybe he'll have a killswitch and they'll turn him against the rest of the team. Also towards the end of the episode (20:00 minutes) it shows Haggar inside a room on Zarkon's ship with what could be similar life vials in the background that Shiro seemed to be in; maybe suggesting they have a whole cloning program going on?

And in the next episode Lance asks how he's feeling and he says "Good. Just trying to get rid of this weird headache." He's blatantly a plant!

Rewatched S3 over the last couple of days, a couple of thoughts about episode 5 specifically:

When Shiro's pod is escaping from the ship and it takes a hit, the Galra looks at the monitor and says "Notify command headquarters. Operation Kuron stage three is underway". That suggests to me that allowing his escape was intentional and he's a plant inside Team Voltron. Maybe he'll have a killswitch and they'll turn him against the rest of the team. Also towards the end of the episode (20:00 minutes) it shows Haggar inside a room on Zarkon's ship with what could be similar life vials in the background that Shiro seemed to be in; maybe suggesting they have a whole cloning program going on?

And in the next episode Lance asks how he's feeling and he says "Good. Just trying to get rid of this weird headache." He's blatantly a plant!

Yeah, I agree that
"Shiro" is probably a plant, albeit one that thinks he is actually the real Shiro. The Black Lion refusing to respond to him is a pretty big tell, too.

X-Frame

Yeah, I agree that
"Shiro" is probably a plant, albeit one that thinks he is actually the real Shiro. The Black Lion refusing to respond to him is a pretty big tell, too.

But it gets confusing when
the Black Lion was the one that sensed this new Shiro from across the galaxy and led the team to him. I don't know what to make of that.

Well, crap, I forgot about that.

If it is a clone then there's likely a story behind that too. It could also be a case that whether its a clone or he's the real deal if there's truly something in him that is planted by the Galra its also likely Black Lion. Being together in the cockpit puts them together for the mind bond as by that point Shiro has to make it do what he wants and by that point Black Lion would know something's off and won't operate.

StoneFox

But it gets confusing when
the Black Lion was the one that sensed this new Shiro from across the galaxy and led the team to him. I don't know what to make of that.
I think it was responding to the flood of memories when he thought he was going to die. The lions are emotionally linked to their paladins and it was probably enough of a reaction for the lion to investigate but as soon as he tried to fly it later on it could tell the difference. It's similar to the red lion reacting to Keith being scared whenever he was shot out into space or during the Blade of Mamora trials. Or when the green lion spurred into action when Pidge got angry during the first episode of Season 2.

It kinda makes the blue lion seem kind of a jerk to completely shut out Lance though. Not even a comforting goodbye or anything. I think the blue lion shutting him out started the spiral of Lance thinking he wasn't worthy to be part of ther team, and Keith's inability to actually reassure Lance is probably going to lead to bad things.

Which is not that odd, as
it still responds to Zarkon, too.

Man, unless some time has passed before next season then
Zarkon is going to have no trouble at all taking the Black Lion back
from Keith.
Shiro had mastered what I assume is almost all of its secrets and even right up to the end Zarkon was wrestling to take back control. Keith is nowhere near that level yet.

Man, unless some time has passed before next season then
Zarkon is going to have no trouble at all taking the Black Lion back
from Keith.
Shiro had mastered what I assume is almost all of its secrets and even right up to the end Zarkon was wrestling to take back control. Keith is nowhere near that level yet.
Yeah but consider that
the lion sees a lot of potential in Keith
so maybe by the second half the confident Keith we've seen in seasons 1 and 2 is back.

PSqueak

Banned
Finally finished the "season", it felt like too weak of a fix, i need more episodes! but the episodes were good and not one of them felt like filler, absolutely every and each one of them contributes to the plot.

Thoughts:
-Lotor and his squad obviously being set up as the anti-Paladins and they absolutely are going to get their own Voltron since in the original and Go Lion there was an episode with an evil Voltron, there is no way that massive meteor had enough to just make a tiny ship that couldn't be any more obvious it will be able to combine with other ships

-Zarkon and Haggar being married and most likely Lotor's parents was totally something everybody could see coming but im glad they confirmed it and i want to see where they go with it, not to mention it gives more meaning as to why Lotor's squad are ALL only half-galra, could lead to some interesting Keith moments given that he too is half Galra.

-Alternate reality episode was awesome, and i love the idea that if they end the Galra empire they have planted the seeds of making the alternate reality Alteans the new enemies.

-Episode 7 was a plot bomb and i liked it, but on the other hand it kinda sucks it was the only episode that had Voltron fighting a monster, i know and love that this series is more "space opera" than "monster of the week mecha series", but still, as a mecha fan i wish they had more Voltron action.
Overall, i can't wait for the second part of the season.

SeanC

A good, very lean 7 eps. Not a ton going on character wise outside of Keith but it really advanced the plot and world building by introducing a whole new faction and characters to be dealt with, new ideas like alt realities in doing so, while still not losing focus of the main villain and big threat. Always felt urgent and the animation even more dynamic than I recall, I hope the next set of eps can give us a little more for the cast to flesh out and have more for them to conflict with on a personal level but I was very satisfied with it all.

I never understood why Shiro is called by the first part of his last name. Wouldn't people generally call him by his actual first name?

PSqueak

Banned
I never understood why Shiro is called by the first part of his last name. Wouldn't people generally call him by his actual first name?

It's not uncommon to call people by their last names or shortening their names or a combo of both, specially with uncommon names.

Real reason tho? Totally banking on Dreamworks thinking "Shirogane" was too weird and complicated for americans, so they shortened it to Shiro.

Calling him Takashi was out of question because then you lose the Go Lion reference.

Tuck

SE3 E4
This episode needed more time in the oven. The writing was clunky as fuck. God Alora is such a terrible character.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Episode V was masterfully done. One of the best single episodes of any show I've seen in a while. I loved the setup, the loneliness, the mystery, the clues, the lack of dialogue, the music

It's a show highlight IMO.

Tuck

SE3 E5
This was impressive. Much of it is conveyed with little dialogue, and some of the scenes, especially near the end were quite beautiful.

That said,
I think its too early to bring Shrio back. This is something that should have waited until the end of the *full* season 3, at minimum. Bringing him back so soon dilutes the impact of the ending of season 2. Also, i was hoping for something more mysterious than "abducted by the Galrah somehow."

Eh. Seems like a missed opportunity overall.

StoneFox

SE3 E5
This was impressive. Much of it is conveyed with little dialogue, and some of the scenes, especially near the end were quite beautiful.

That said,
I think its too early to bring Shrio back. This is something that should have waited until the end of the *full* season 3, at minimum. Bringing him back so soon dilutes the impact of the ending of season 2. Also, i was hoping for something more mysterious than "abducted by the Galrah somehow."

Eh. Seems like a missed opportunity overall.

There's a whole 'nother layer to this episode if you rewatch it.

Listen to the background sound effects during the scene where they shine a light in Shiro's eyes.

Top Bottom