• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

SE3 E5
This was impressive. Much of it is conveyed with little dialogue, and some of the scenes, especially near the end were quite beautiful.

That said,
I think its too early to bring Shrio back. This is something that should have waited until the end of the *full* season 3, at minimum. Bringing him back so soon dilutes the impact of the ending of season 2. Also, i was hoping for something more mysterious than "abducted by the Galrah somehow."

Eh. Seems like a missed opportunity overall.

I agree it seems pretty soon, but I think there's a lot more stuff
to his reappearance
that we don't yet know:

-
How did he disappear?
-
How did he end up on a Galra ship?
-
What experiments were they running on him?
-
If they had him prisoner why did Haggar or someone else senior not kill him or keep him under tighter guard? They must have known how valuable a paladin of Voltron was.
-
Why did they not send forces down to the planet after him?
- And, most crucially,
what is Operation Kuron?
(A cloning program and we still don't know where the missing Shiro is, I'd wager)

Just finished. Pretty weak season imo. Everything felt very rushed and a lot of what did happen felt either inconsequential or transitional for the next season.

I agree, hope Season 4 will be better.

The showrunners confirmed that Seasons 3 and 4 were written as a single 13 episode season (source).
Dos Santos: This smaller order of episodes wasn't something we had planned from the beginning. We had built out, from a story perspective and a creation perspective, for it to be a traditional 13-episode season. The decision to split it up was made after we were already well into production. We had to sort of reverse engineer and look for a natural break in the story around that midpoint. What that allows us to do is dole out the episodes on a more regular basis; there's not such a big gap in between seasons.

Montgomery: And we weren't in the place where, ”Oh my gosh, we only have seven episodes with Lotor!" We were working with him in the same capacity as Zarkon, where we knew how many episodes we had to bring that character around. Don't let the seven-episode season throw you off!

Dos Santos: When you have the benefit of watching the whole thing, think about it like a 13-episode arc. I think we found a natural break for it, but ...

Montgomery: It wasn't a built-in break, intentionally.

manfestival

I found season 2 to be lackluster after finding season 1 to be awesome. My interest in the entire show has dropped dramatically as the second season didnt feel memorable. How much better is s3 vs s2? Also how does s3 compare to s1?

Tuck

S3 E7

Another impressive episode. While I'm not sure a giant info dump in one episode was the most inspired way to convey all this, it was done well. The backstories make sense - in particular
how Zarkon became evil is believable - this was something I was worried about since a fall from grace is hard to pull off.
It also explains some of the other events this season.

Ultimately, I think E7 and E5 save the season from being somewhat lacklaster. The animation has taken a huge step forward, but the dialogue was frequently clunky, episodes didn't flow together and the sense of creativity that was present in the second season wasn't there.

I'll have to wait for S4 to judge whether cutting the season in half was a good idea, but I'm not really happy the show left me with blue balls here. The season is all set up without closure.

Trey

I'm assuming Operation Kuron is some sort of telepathic link Lotor has to Shiro. Notice how Lotor would convey to his general exactly what Shiro told Keith to do, so she would have perfect timing. It is only because Keith made an independent, last minute adjustment that she missed.

Either way it's weird to me neither Shiro or the paladin's would think it's weird the he was captured and experimented upon, especially considering how much trouble Shiro and the Black Lion's link to Zarkon was. In fact, the way Shiro's return to the team was handled felt underwhelming.

Outside of that, I felt season 3 was overall decent. Wish it were a full season though - I should've waited until s4 dropped. Episode 7 very much feels like the midseason intermission it is: think Beginnings from Legend of Korra season 2.

Sulik2

Finished Season 3 last night and was blown away. Loving all the sci-fi concepts they bringing in and the dyson constructs for long established space faring civilizations continues to make me smile. Easily the best season so far.

Shiro is a clone, that is why the Black Lion didn't respond to him.

PSqueak

Banned
Shiro is a clone, that is why the Black Lion didn't respond to him.

Why do people keep seeing too much into that?

The black lion didn't respond because he's with Keith now, which is WHAT SHIRO WANTED, it's just like the Blue lion doesn't respond to Lance anymore, and before people say "but zarkon!", the key point here is, Shiro willingly passed the mantle to Keith,
the lion is basically honoring his request.

Ithil

I enjoyed it but it was clearly just the first half of a season, I'm not sure why they cut it into two short seasons.

PSqueak

Banned
Because it's so obvious. His eyes even make camera noises.

No, no, that's not what i was arguing,
It's obvious Shiro is a plant, being a clone or robot or brainwashed is basically guaranteed,
what i mean is people looking too much into
the lion not responding to him.

Finished season 2 and watched the 1st episode of S3. This show is like a suped up Saturday morning cartoon. I love it. I think the least interesting part of Voltron is Voltron itself. Everything else is great.

I'm fully caught up. I love the art work and the animation of the fight scenes. I really don't like that the lions and Voltron are CG. Why is s3 7 episodes?

StoneFox

I'm fully caught up. I love the art work and the animation of the fight scenes. I really don't like that the lions and Voltron are CG. Why is s3 7 episodes?

It was spilt per demands of Netflix. It was originally 13 episodes so the rest will air on October 13th.

As for the CG I also wasn't too keen with it at first, but it makes the fights more dynamic and avoids making them look off-model and stiff like the 80s show. So I've grown to like it.

Sulik2

So hype for season 4.

Has anyone talked about what looks like scratches on the lions? I thought it was damage from battle but then S3 E7 happened.

It's a 3D model they didn't redo the texture to remove the scratches for the brand new Lions was how I figured that went.

StoneFox

Allura's vlog: https://youtu.be/tdryJmaTUHw

Allura, s3ep2:
When you arrived at the castle I immediately recognized the special qualities in each of you.
(Not really a spoiler, but season 3 is still the "new" season.)

Allura, vlog: Yeah ngl, I thought lions were broken. :B

Lol, the joke about Allura color coding them just by their clothes has become even more hilarious.

Dice//

Banned
Weird release schedules but right on; I'll take these "Voltron Bombs" and it certainly beats waiting a full year like many other shows.

McNum

I'm glad to see how the show gleefully decides that having a status quo is for other shows.

It's going to be interesting to see what
Lotor wants to talk with the Voltron Coalition about. I cannot help but notice that his ship is made from the same stuff as Voltron and that it's been a while since Voltron got an upgrade now... But that would be kind of crazy. I'd see the underlings do that before Lotor would.

Dice//

Banned
An
enemy switching sides
is literally favorite trope ever.

giphy.gif

StoneFox

Great season, wasn't really feeling episode 4 (probably my least favorite episode of all the seasons thus far) but the strong points of this season were so damn strong.

(General season spoilers)
These fricken writers and feigning death of a character not once, but twice. Three if you count Shiro in season 3 back before these mini seasons were spilt. Why were they so intent on pulling at my heartstrings like this? Hahaha...

RIP Narti, she was my favorite :(

I kinda miss Keith being a paladin too. But in return we finally got to see Matt and he's amazing. The scene with Hunk, Matt and Pidge just chatting about science-y stuff was probably my favorite scene, outside of Coran and Allura discovering where milkshakes came from.
Matt's infactutation with Allura was pretty much the last thing I expected from him, though it makes me wonder if that means he will butt heads with Lance in the future. I do prefer how Lance is a close friend of Allura's over a lovestruck crush, but his stereotypical anime reaction was hilarious.

Bring on season 5!

JSevere

Really solid bunch of eps. I do think it's kind of weird that
they backpedaled on a bunch of stuff they set up in season 3? like, they started developing Keith as the new leader of the team, but then nope, Shiro's back, he can use the Black Lion again, and Keith's off the team and with the Blade of Marmora within the first ep. they introduced Lotor as a new type of leader with different methods than Zarkon and set up a conflict as they both want to lead the Galra Empire in their own ways, but then Lotor's declared an enemy of the state, his soldiers betray him, and now he might be teaming up with the heroes. I'll go along with it though, I'm a sucker for villain redemption arcs.
I think episode 2 was my favorite of this batch.

So with 39 episodes out, we're officially at the half-way point of the show since Netflix and DreamWorks committed to a 78 episode run. can't wait to see where the story goes from here!

I just found an article from August when the showrunners were asked about why Shiro came back quickly in Season 3 (source):

Why couldn’t have Shiro come back later on, perhaps a season or two down the line? Executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos has a fairly blunt answer.

“We weren’t allowed to from the executives. That’s it. He had to come back. That’s pretty much it. We wanted him to be gone for a much longer period of time and we weren’t allowed to.”

Co executive producer Lauren Montgomery adds, “Shiro’s gotta sell toys.”

“I think in our wildest dream we had a season planned out where Shiro just wasn’t a part of it and our guys got to be the original Voltron lineup and be a mess and learn on their own and learn together and evolve. But when it comes down to it sometimes we don’t get out way. Things are required of us so we do those things and we have to make it work with the story.”

StoneFox

Regarding episode 2 and beyond.

I'm shook how close canon Matt is to memelord fanon Matt. I mean, how often does popular fanon predict canon? I'm loving this rare moment.

Need to start watching these new eps tomorrow.

So with 39 episodes out, we're officially at the half-way point of the show since Netflix and DreamWorks committed to a 78 episode run. can't wait to see where the story goes from here!

Was so glad when I saw that bit of info, I think it was while I was hunting info during the wait for season 3 after binging through season 2 so fast.

Episode V was masterfully done. One of the best single episodes of any show I've seen in a while. I loved the setup, the loneliness, the mystery, the clues, the lack of dialogue, the music

It's a show highlight IMO.

Yeah, that episode was fantastic start to finish.

Top Bottom