• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vote] Best Console Racing Sim franchise this generation: Forza Motorsport vs. Gran Turismo Vs. Project Cars

Best racing sim of this generation (2013-2020)

• Total voters

sn0man

If someone vote for gran-turismo, he is only a PlayStation gamer. 😘
Pointless poll, to be honest. PS players will vote GTS, Xbox players will vote Forza, nobody will vote Project Cars 😂A few honest folk might have two or more, and genuinely vote for their favourite, but few and far between.

P. S. Forza

had only PS4 Pro and voted Forza. Xbox scumming online setup and profile creation requirements have me sworn off them

Yeah no my man, it's pretty much a consensus that Forza is right now a significantly better and more relevant series than Gran Turismo. The difference in voting isn't bigger because of GT's story and Playstation exclusivity.
Forza.

Goddamn shame what Sony has allowed PD to do with GT. We’ve went from two stellar, content rich masterpiece racers a gen to one half assed half baked GaaS piece of crap.

Yup. My biggest regret this generation is no GT7 for me to grind on and meet a few friends to play online together with our customized little hatches and coupes. If PS5 goes online requirements I’ll probably be back in Forza on PC.

I don’t believe you played both.
And yes I played the Forza 7 demo.
Before that one I had played Forza 5 at Brasil Game Show 2013 before the console launch (played GT6 at same event before buy it).

Why I don’t believe you played both? Because there is no way anybody that played both games to say that Forza is much much much better when the SP is the same boring structure of precious Forzas and the online is a joke compared with GTS.

Online in GTS is commendable for brining a new feature to the forefront. However it isnt a content rich game. Also if your idea of sim is simulating modifications and tuning then the game falls flat. other areas were a step back as well (damage, reduction in weather and day-night from GT6)

Forza does feel somewhat stale but under the loot boxes, they were trying to evolve the career in many ways in 7. The picking of events and spec-ing of certain class modifications (forget the name) were compelling and for the four or five days of break I threw myself into the game I could see some merit in the systems they were working with. I have a friend with an Xbox and we just played the crap out of that game to see how it was. Did consecutive rentals on it. He’s not a console gamer but an iracing guy so has some more than passing interest.

He only played the demo bro... What a great comparison! Let's compare a demo to a full release game, smh

...well the demo of Forza 7 and the release of GT Sport have a similar amount of content (I kid)

One could argue Gran Turismo 6 was Gran Turismo Sport Prologue the whole time!!!
last good gran turismo game imo was 4.

i miss the great fun b-spec mode was

i had some fun with 5 but it was worse then 4.

how is 6?

6 is fun. It felt more coherent as a release compared to 5. Technically it was ready to pick up and play when you put in the disc on release. It has day-to-night cycle and it has changing weather. I appreciate it for what it is but it also felt like a rushed half-effort. Muddled opinion, but you could tell it felt like an obligation for them to make that game again. It still had the typical GT shortcomings of certain cars being crap GT3 models and engine sounds that are a definite miss. e.g., take a mustang that sounds like a V8, put on a race exhaust and it sounds like a straight6 GTR /vacuum cleaner.

Too be fair Forza has been outscoring GT since Forza 3, but a lot of that was because Sony tried selling people a Demo for a few years with 5P. IF Polyphony just released a full polished games with 5 it may have scored higher.

I'm also surprised Polyphony couldn't put together a Vita version of GT like they did with the PSP. Now I guess we'll be lucky if we get one game per gen.

EMP88

Neophyte
Forza.

Goddamn shame what Sony has allowed PD to do with GT. We’ve went from two stellar, content rich masterpiece racers a gen to one half assed half baked GaaS piece of crap.
Gran Turismo as a franchise is in its best position since the days of PS2.

Sony made a major mistake releasing GT6 on PS3. After PS4 released. That was at a time when there where uncertainties about next-gen adoption.

That in turn set PD back with PS4 development. Likely a contributing factor in going the Esports route with much reduced content. The upside is everything in the game has been rebuilt to 8K standards. The benefits of which we’ll see with GT7 on PS5.

PD has also transformed as a studio(s). They have been class leading with monthly content and feature updates. Their development pipeline is now much more efficient and they’ve embraced outsourcing.

It’s also clear Sony have unlocked more budget in an effort to get the series back on track. This is evident with the increasing number of industry partnerships and the quality and scope of their Esports broadcasts.

On PS5 I firmly believe GT7 will take the franchise back to its best. Think of this as a in-generational sequel. Like GT1 to GT2 on PS1. Or GT3 to GT4 on PS2. No need to throw everything out and start from scratch. This will be a title where development resources can be utilised to increase content and widen the scope of the game. Not be bogged down developing engines and technology.

EMP88

Neophyte
For anyone that thinks GT has a better sound than Forza... Take a look at this video, and take notice of one particular thing in the following video. Try and hear the oscillation in the sound during the gear downshift between GT Sport (1:25 - 1:45) and Forza 7 (2:03 - 2:29).

The same can be heard later from the cockpit view.
I’m afraid that video just demonstrates the step back Forza Motorsport 7 has taken in the sound department. Can’t speak of Forza Horizon as I haven’t seen enough.

FM7’s sound reproduction has become more exaggerated. As if a standard road car has straight pipes and recorded on an iPhone. Even modern race cars don’t sound that extreme.

GT Sport could still ratchet up the aggressiveness on some cars.

ethomaz

Banned
Gran Turismo as a franchise is in its best position since the days of PS2.

Sony made a major mistake releasing GT6 on PS3. After PS4 released. That was at a time when there where uncertainties about next-gen adoption.

That in turn set PD back with PS4 development. Likely a contributing factor in going the Esports route with much reduced content. The upside is everything in the game has been rebuilt to 8K standards. The benefits of which we’ll see with GT7 on PS5.

PD has also transformed as a studio(s). They have been class leading with monthly content and feature updates. Their development pipeline is now much more efficient and they’ve embraced outsourcing.

It’s also clear Sony have unlocked more budget in an effort to get the series back on track. This is evident with the increasing number of industry partnerships and the quality and scope of their Esports broadcasts.

On PS5 I firmly believe GT7 will take the franchise back to its best. Think of this as a in-generational sequel. Like GT1 to GT2 on PS1. Or GT3 to GT4 on PS2. No need to throw everything out and start from scratch. This will be a title where development resources can be utilised to increase content and widen the scope of the game. Not be bogged down developing engines and technology.
I just hope they do GTS2 instead GT8.

BTW GT7 is already the code name of GTS.

Ascend

I’m afraid that video just demonstrates the step back Forza Motorsport 7 has taken in the sound department. Can’t speak of Forza Horizon as I haven’t seen enough.

FM7’s sound reproduction has become more exaggerated. As if a standard road car has straight pipes and recorded on an iPhone. Even modern race cars don’t sound that extreme.

GT Sport could still ratchet up the aggressiveness on some cars.
What is exaggerated about it? The sound of the other two are a lot harder and more flat.

GTS.
Anyone who says Forza doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Absolutely fucked up animations by Forza

What does "fucked up animations" mean? What is fucked up about it? Why is it better in the others? No one can understand what you mean if you don't explain it.

You know what I find funny? The example I gave I provided a very specific example of something that Forza 7 did better. The other examples of how Forza is oh so terrible have all been vague.

Blood Borne

What is exaggerated about it? The sound of the other two are a lot harder and more flat.

What does "fucked up animations" mean? What is fucked up about it? Why is it better in the others? No one can understand what you mean if you don't explain it.

You know what I find funny? The example I gave I provided a very specific example of something that Forza 7 did better. The other examples of how Forza is oh so terrible have all been vague.
The Forza driver doesn’t turn the steering properly. Turns it slightly but the car does a full turn, in addition to worst audio and graphics

ethomaz

Banned
Somehow I think people who've only played Horizon voted Forza Motorsport, Forza 7 is so lackluster it's not even funny...….It's souless and bland next to GT...…..
The guy that actually voted on Forza due Horizon didn’t remover his vote after I told him the game was Forza Horizon and not the Forza Motorsport.

But that is fine I think because Forza Horizon found the success that Forza Motorsport couldn’t.

thelastword

Banned
Always the excuses, guess nobody is just allowed to like Motorsport :messenger_tears_of_joy:
As a matter of fact, I was going to write at the end of that post "Kudos to people who genuinely thought Forza 7 was something special", personally I cant see it, with GTS around. I guess you have PC gamers too who have access to Forza, who perhaps have not played GT...…...Anyway, I think the next Forza is not going to hit 90 Meta, even the Horizon games next gen won't hit 90....I think they are losing lustre very quickly, that's why GTS brought in something new and novel and changed up the formula...

Metacritc Scores
GTS = 75
Forza 7 = 86
Forza Horizons 4 = 92

Its not even close. Xbox has the best racing experience of any console, not just in variety but in quality which is shown in their Metacritic scores.
Trying to argue the opposite is just trolling at this point.
Sony are going to need to invest in Poly to try and get some type of equivalence here. I mean, its not only Forza 7 that is superior to GTS, but Forza Horizons is even better than both of them.

Last edited:

Revas

As a matter of fact, I was going to write at the end of that post "Kudos to people who genuinely thought Forza 7 was something special", personally I cant see it, with GTS around. I guess you have PC gamers too who have access to Forza, who perhaps have not played GT...…...Anyway, I think the next Forza is not going to hit 90 Meta, even the Horizon games next gen won't hit 90....I think they are losing lustre very quickly, that's why GTS brought in something new and novel and changed up the formula...

You have to think T10 is aware of the strides made by their competition in the console "sim" market. They can't just churn out FM8 without significantly improving the depth of the vehicle handling model and the online racing component.

Ascend

We're also conveniently "forgetting" that Forza has almost double the amount of tracks and more than quadruple the amount of cars...
People are talking about vehicle handling, and forget that the tracks in GTS are basically fully flat. With that I mean, small bumps on the tracks are rarely if ever present in GTS, while they definitely are in FM7.

I guess it depends on your priorities whether you'd prefer GTS or Forza.

Blood Borne

We're also conveniently "forgetting" that Forza has almost double the amount of tracks and more than quadruple the amount of cars...
People are talking about vehicle handling, and forget that the tracks in GTS are basically fully flat. With that I mean, small bumps on the tracks are rarely if ever present in GTS, while they definitely are in FM7.

Can you please provide evidence.

look at this Forza 7 video, the car doesn’t even have side mirrors😂

So you legitimately think that it's impossible for someone to have played all of them, and prefer Motorsport? The only reason people prefer it is because they haven't tried everything? Delusional.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Yep. Try taking the inside left line of the carousel at laguna seca in Forza vs GTS. Its in a different league. The car bounces all over as it should do where as GTS is like driving on glass.

LostDonkey

So you legitimately think that it's impossible for someone to have played all of them, and prefer Motorsport? The only reason people prefer it is because they haven't tried everything? Delusional.
I have all of them. And by all of them I mean all of the racing games released this gen (serious ones anyway).

I prefer forza because of its variety and the way the cars feel with all the assists off compared to GTS.

I have to fight to keep a 700bhp rear wheel drive car in a straight line when exiting a corner in forza wheras in GTS its a breeze. You can tell me all day that the physics are better or look better in GTS but I dont feel it when I play.

Forza feels more alive and definitely gets my heart pumping when I nail a perfect lap right on the edge of grip.

I dont get that with GTS. Its like a sunday drive.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I've spent a lot of time with the games from all three series, but they have been disappointing in different ways...

- Forza Motorsport is a great example on not overworking yourself. All the entries since FM5 have lacked big new features and even new cars & tracks additions were often disappointing, especially with locking new car models behind the season pass. I'll play FM8 on my PC, but I don't have high hopes.
- Gran Turismo had an inexcusably long break since GT6 and even then the amount of content at launch was very limited. It's had a nice growth since then and it shows the most promise for next-gen. GT7 could have all the content from GTS plus bunch of new stuff like a proper career mode.
- Both Project CARS games were plagued by issues when they launched, especially pCARS 2. Most of them have been resolved and both games have been quite enjoyable, but I feel like the studio spent too much time on unncessary types of racing like ice events or rallycross. Make separate games if you want to cover that.

DS_Joost

Those who vote Forza actually secretly vote for GT because it's always just an updated version of GT4. It has literally ripped off GT from the beginning. It's completely unoriginal, uninspired, and now with GT Sport it's also completely outdated.

GT Sport changed the sim racing genre. Let's see how blatantly Forza copies it next generation, shall we?

Explain what? If you played you should not even making this question lol

But let's explain what Gran Turismo Sport changes for better the racing simulation games on consoles.

- Single-played evolved where you finally learn how to race with a progressive series of missions that teach you each trick to get better and better as racer.... it makes the previous boring without any accomplishment Sunday Cups a think of the past and set the bar for more gamers learn how to become real racers. You feel you are really getting better at each mission ending with the circuit experience where you have the real prove to test all your new skills.
- Racing sim on consoles finally evolved to eSport. Sport mode is probably the best mode ever created in a racing sim game.... it works, it is fair... it makes you want to challenge and be challenged without having to deal with dumb players. It helps you to reach new heights in real life racing making the bridge between game and real life even closer. You have support from all fronts to reach your dreams.

It changed the base of the genre on consoles... something that only iRacing did on PC.
Perhaps the only racing sim you can really compared with Gran Turismo Sport is iRacing.
Everything else are stuck in the past yet and needs to evolve to be competitive again.

Gran Turismo Sport revolutioned the genre on consoles now it is time to others franchises shake up.

After play GTS you will be annoyed to play others racing sim on console... give it a try.
You're seriously one delusional fanboy.

On topic,Forza Motorsport from a critical point of view and as other have said,"its not even close". FM is packed with far more cars,tracks,customization etc, despite a 2 yr dev time while GT takes years(essentially a GAAS) and still playing catch up. FM is the sim king based on critic scores and awards. Its even winning in a poll on a site dominated by sony fanboys

Last edited:

Blood Borne

I dont know whats going on with the car in the vid, but Forza damage engine will knock off the side mirrors if you side swipe another car or any other collision on the side of the car.
Nope. No collision, the car simply doesn’t have side mirrors, lots of cars in Forza lack attention to detail.

sn0man

I’ll bet you $5 that the next GT they’ve started over and say “we had to rebuild the models to do the game justice for [insert reason].” I hope I lose the bet but we hear it every time from PD.

Revas

I have all of them. And by all of them I mean all of the racing games released this gen (serious ones anyway).

I prefer forza because of its variety and the way the cars feel with all the assists off compared to GTS.

I have to fight to keep a 700bhp rear wheel drive car in a straight line when exiting a corner in forza wheras in GTS its a breeze. You can tell me all day that the physics are better or look better in GTS but I dont feel it when I play.

Forza feels more alive and definitely gets my heart pumping when I nail a perfect lap right on the edge of grip.

I dont get that with GTS. Its like a sunday drive.

I think FM has a distinct advantage when it comes to driving high powered sports cars without assists. It has a visceral feel to it that GT doesn't. Problem for me is that modern sports cars are all about computer assists and fancy drivetrains that alter the rules of physics in terms of how vehicles should drive (NSX, GTR, TDF, ZR1 etc). FM doesn't really simulate modern sports cars very well which is the most disappointing aspect of the game. They give you tons of cars that all handle similarly, and the trick capabilities of the cover cars aren't modeled besides the engine performance. No console sim does this well outside of Assetto Corsa from what I understand but I feel like FM there's so many cars they don't even try.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
GTS and I'm not a GTS fan. As just a casual racing fan i would take Forza Horizon and Driveclub over GTS but the best console sim this generation has to go to GTS. FIA sponsorship, big esport scene with international worldwide reach and I have to commend the constant free support the game has gotten. As a single player experience I would enjoy Forza, I'm not interested in learning how to drive a race car on a track, I just want to have fun driving and Forza kinda does that better with their over the top presentation.

HE1NZ

Banned
I feel like Forza Horizon is the only racing franchise this gen. It does everything right (especially 3) and competition is really struggling to catch up. It's like Assassin's Creed of racing games with open world settings based on real locations that is fun to explore. I don't play "serious" racing sims and Gran Turismo feels like a hospital (like someone on Giant Bomb said), so Forza Horizon is just perfect for me.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
not just in variety but in quality which is shown in their Metacritic scores.
Trying to argue the opposite is just trolling at this point.
> Acting like video game critics (most of them are just fans or consumers, they dont work in the scene nor can they tell anyone what is done right or wrong in a video game except technical issues and alike) are some sort of authority and their words are fact and marked in stone.
> Acting like anyone with a different opinion is braindead

video games are either entertainment, art or both and as such they are subjective by definition. one might prefer Forza, one might prefer GT. both are right. still this thread is a funny read.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelastword

Banned
Metacritic reviewer aggregate:

Forza 2 - 92MC > GT4 - 89MC
Forza 3 - 86MC > GT5p - 80MC
Forza 4 - 91MC > GT5 - 84MC
Forza 5 - 79MC < GT6 -81MC
Forza 6 - 87MC = Long gap with no GT
Forza 7 - 82MC > GTS - 75MC

Forza is generally the higher rated franchise. Usually it's pretty consistent too.
Afro, you are something else aren't you...... Where is GT3 vs Forza 1, I guess that statistic is not consistent with your modus operandi....

Also, if you are releasing GT scores, release the GT 1 and 2 scores, so people can see the full breadth of the franchise, or both franchises for that matter.....

Afro, you are something else aren't you...... Where is GT3 vs Forza 1, I guess that statistic is not consistent with your modus operandi....

Also, if you are releasing GT scores, release the GT 1 and 2 scores, so people can see the full breadth of the franchise, or both franchises for that matter.....

Forza has been consistently outscoring GT launch aligned since the first Forza game, You know there's no agenda you just want to build a strawman. Everyone knows this, reviewers know this, gaming journalists know this, Sony knows it, and you know it. Don't get so upset, maybe this next generation GT8 will have a high score and launch complete unlike GTS. ;)

Fox Mulder

I love how every racing thread is always a console war.

I don’t hate Forza, it’s great and I liked playing it for over a decade. It deserves the MC scores or sales. It easily wins this poll because it was great and released like clockwork all generation while Gran Turismo was missing for years.

It just doesn’t even attempt to capture the depth of racing like GTS does with stuff like fuel mapping or tire choices though. GTS also at least tried to tackle the issue of console online lobbies being shit with driver rankings, ghosting, and penalties.

LostDonkey

Nope. No collision, the car simply doesn’t have side mirrors, lots of cars in Forza lack attention to detail.

What an absolute load of, for lack of a better word, Shit.

iFEKmWE.jpg

LTRqH6r.png

To me, it looks like whoever made that video is running forza at its absolute lowest possible settings. Maybe thats why the mirrors are missing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom