• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voting with my Wallet and Not Buying A New iPhone

Azurro

Banned
Dude put the headphone wire under your shirt. Boom nothing dangling about, instantly more practical than wireless ones.

Oh god, that is just awful in terms of comfort. Now you have a wire getting wet and moving about as you do your work out. I mean, the cables pull as they move, wires simply SUCK for exercise, I doubt you do any running with them. Really, this position of yours is pretty much trolling, it's like saying rally cars suck for off road racing. Like...what?!

Your other points simply make no sense. You might like some smaller functionality that is going away, but objectively speaking, the new iPhone is a much better phone in every metric to the one you are comparing it to. The screen is objectively better, more RAM, better cameras, better performing OS, everything is better, you simply are missing a button.

You simply make no sense, are you sure you don't live in a retirement home?

Meh3D

I have no plans to "upgrade" from my iPhone 6s. I believe I'll probably be looking toward the Samsung phones down the line if I must get another phone.

1. I like the SD card expansion as I do not need my music or photos to be on the fast storage.
  2. Samsung and Apple tend to both have great cameras with the latest outdoing the other. So I'm good going with either.
  3. I dislike the notch, like my headphone jack, and prefer my prices as far below 1K as possible.
I will say that having the 6S (launch day) I've been soured over battery gate and Apple. In the second year my phone would shut off at 60% and then give me the "plug in" symbol to charge. It ruined the two weeks I spent in San Francisco. So what if the Apple Store in SF replaced it, the moments were ruined. It does it seldomly from time to time and requires a full battery drain and charge to 100 to alleviate it. If the issue becomes chronic I have to have the battery replaced. I've had the 6S replaced twice over this issue and the battery replaced twice.

This is not a phone I want to have forever nor should I have to pay more money for a "better phone." I don't want to give Apple more money to have these issues gone. So much for it just works right?

On another note, my MacBook Pro 13 2015 has also had chronic issues with the Genius Bar being absolutely useless. They have actually told me on numerous occasions "it's good to re-install the OS a couple of time" to the famous "I think you're slowing down cause of your start programs" referring the only logon item, iTunes Helper. When I have time I'll be talking to an Apple Store Manager about this. Year after to Year since the day I got it, hardware issues. Apple Care Expired early march.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Ive been feeling this for a while with all phones in honesty. I had a nexus 6p and went to pixel 2 xl and honestly can't tell the difference. Phones just are not that different anymore. I'd have stayed with my 6p if the battery hadn't gone in the toilet and got the pixel for free.

I really want an IphoneX, but I'll settle for the oneplus 6t.

But I do want the near best video quality available, I may bite it with one of the upper echelons.

decisions

Oh god, that is just awful in terms of comfort. Now you have a wire getting wet and moving about as you do your work out. I mean, the cables pull as they move, wires simply SUCK for exercise, I doubt you do any running with them. Really, this position of yours is pretty much trolling, it's like saying rally cars suck for off road racing. Like...what?!

Your other points simply make no sense. You might like some smaller functionality that is going away, but objectively speaking, the new iPhone is a much better phone in every metric to the one you are comparing it to. The screen is objectively better, more RAM, better cameras, better performing OS, everything is better, you simply are missing a button.

You're right, I don't run with my headphones in (I prefer to run with no music and use it as active meditation). I suppose wireless headphones would be better for that. But the majority of time I'm walking around and I can easily just let them hang over my shirt if I don't want them in my ear for a quick moment, carry some stuff, then put them back in without having to re-pocket them over and over again. It's just easier. Now what if you buy a pair of high-quality wireless headphones, you shouldn't be able to use them with your $1000 phone because of...innovation? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It offers less to the consumer.

The best iPhone would give people the choice to use wired/wireless headphones. You can run with your Bluetooth headphones in, and I can fall asleep using a pair of high quality wired headphones that I don't have to worry about charging in the morning. Another person can do both in the same day. Choice is good, and Apple has convinced you that it is bad. No one answered my previous question, if I bought an iPhone X and fell asleep listening to music every night as I do now with my SE, would I always wake up with a pair of dead AirPods?

All that said, wired headphones would be the thing I would be most willing to part with as I previously stated.

The rest of your argument is pretty thin so I won't offer much to deal with it. Basically you have no clue what "objective" means and you are, like some other posters have, turning a design argument into a specifications argument, which I suppose is a fine straw man for defending the stupidly designed iPhone X. That's subjective by the way, not objective. I want to use my phone in one hand, which is nearly impossible with the X and gloriously easy with the SE. This single point makes your whole X "is a much better phone in every metric" sound like nothing more than worthless Apple advertisement speak.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What new phone that’s better than the SE can you hold in one hand like the SE, has a fingerprint reader and a headphone jack that you want to upgrade to?

All phones are quite a bit larger...the X is actually one of the smaller flagships out there.

Last edited:
I kept my iPhone 5c since it came out. Was given a 6 since my friend upgraded his phone. I'm not spending over a grand for a phone. I'll end up getting an 8 or something, but fuck that.

Kenpachii

I do triathlon, i have a cord on my headphones and have zero issue's. I push the mobile on my arm in a arm bag basically thats strapped to my arm, put the wire from my arm under my shirt towards my head. Zero issue's. And i run about ~20km every single week. Zero comfort problems.

The only thing i got is that the ears have these things on top that holds them there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I would go for an SE successor without hesitatio, but my original SE is showing it’s age and I need a new phone. The X won me over when I tried it at an Apple store, so I preordered the XS. Apple is by far the best device company around. I am not moving away from their ecosystem any time soon.

TimFL

I don't get people getting uppity about a new phone's price. Nothing is forcing you to get it and there are plenty of lower-cost or used options available. Pretty much everything from the 6S onwards runs beautifully on iOS 12, and will likely continue to receive support for years.
They get angry because they can‘t afford them.

decisions

What new phone that’s better than the SE can you hold in one hand like the SE, has a fingerprint reader and a headphone jack that you want to upgrade to?

All phones are quite a bit larger...the X is actually one of the smaller flagships out there.

I don't know tbh, I'll have to see what the market looks like when the SE is no longer supported. Doesn't Sony make smaller phones? I also find Huawei phones to be super aesthetically pleasing, and at least they have the fingerprint sensor and some of them don't have a notch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You sound like such a fucking shill. Enjoy your overpriced phone and headphones that sound like shit.

I really dont want to read pages of Apple fanboys going back and forth but lets tone it down a bit.

linker

Neo Member

Well there is the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact... Though it lacks the jack now that I think about it...

Dontero

Banned
As someone who use android phones now (but had few iphones):

- home button is completely retarded idea in light of digital home button. It is just waste of space and doesn't work better because it works exactly the same as digital button.
- fingerprint sensor or face sensor is also retarded idea, no one cares about your dick picks, i have my phone without any security at all, all times. It is just waste of space. Especially with apple huge notch. If anything cybersecurity is important and that does not rely on you.
- modern BT headsets give you at minimum 10 hours of battery life at max volume. I bought my headset year ago and even if energy will be low you can connect it to microusb from phone and it will both charge and work like usuall. Jack is just old huge crappy waste of space. If anything phones with microUSB should long replace them. With BT headset you are looking at few days of listening in practice and that is without ever fumbling with cables.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
They are doing something right to beat Amazon, Google, and Microsoft to $1 trillion

In my opinion with consideration to the vast differential of opinions in this thread alone (let be other threads & forums) it is unfair to use monetary gain and status as a qualifier. There have been questionable pricing and consumer targeting practices amongst all these companies overall, and their continued support coupled with the admittance of some users here calling themselves "long-time Apple cronies," for example, just makes it more difficult to argue.

If only there was an objective way of measuring such success... or rather, sententii de viri sine philosophiae pecuniae in omnis, or, without considering the philosophy of money in it's entirety.

Last edited:

lil puff

I haven't bought a new phone for four years. My Xperia Z1 is chugging, but I'm still loving it.
Same - my last was actually a Blackberry that I "lost".

Months later, found it inside a damn shoe. This is after I went thru the replacement plan and they could only send me a Samsung S6. I like the BB OS better and wanted to restore it, but somehow I had a memory lapse and forgot the password.

Long ago I went to take a poop at work, sat down and my phone slid out my back pocket into the toilet. After that I decided to not really buy phones anymore, unless I have to.

iconmaster

Banned
They're all just too big now. I use Reachability constantly on my iPhone 6. How am I supposed to wield an XR or XS in one hand while holding my coffee in the other?

Don't tell me not to iPhone and coffee.

I am super impressed with the Iphone X, and the Iphone X Max looks like my kind of jam, but I desperately want to leave the Apple ecosystem.

I think the newer generations Macbooks, Mac Pros and Imacs have been really disappointing.

I am disappointed by their poor design choices, their refusal to integrate touch natively (because it will cannibalize their Ipad sales), their focus on making thinner and thinner to the products where the computers are underpowered, overheating, overpriced and not suited for pro use at all. Products like the Imac Pro completely misses the mark, and the touchbar on the Macbook Pros feel like a forced gimmick.

It is just disappointing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I also gotta agree with the headphone folks, getting rid of wires was just awesome. I'll never go back

What if I told you you can do that without removing a headphone jack that still provides superior listening than any airpods could ever provide currently?

Trogdor1123

What if I told you you can do that without removing a headphone jack that still provides superior listening than any airpods could ever provide currently?
I wouldn't care, I'm just saying wireless is all I will do from now on. I just buy 30-40 dollar wireless ones.

Won't go back

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wouldn't care, I'm just saying wireless is all I will do from now on. I just buy 30-40 dollar wireless ones.

Won't go back

And that is fair, but for those making the false assertion that the jack needed to be removed for that to happen, is just BS.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why did other phone manufacturers remove the headphone jack if it served no purpose? Like obviously everyone saw how unpopular it was that Apple did it, and yet they still did it anyway (and continue to).

Obviously there's a benefit to removing it when it comes to the internal design and engineering of the phone otherwise people wouldn't be doing it since it's so unpopular.

The "courage" Apple spoke about in the conference when they announced this is just to be the first ones to do it. Just like the floppy disk. Just like the CD drive. SOMEONE has to make the first move otherwise the entire industry is going to keep these things around forever.

Their move to have ONLY USB-C ports on their latest laptops is just another step in this direction.

No one's going to deny that there are benefits to using a headphone cable over a wireless connection when it comes to audio quality, not having another thing to charge, audio latency...but wireless headphones have gotten to the point that as long as they support AAC (from an iPhone POV) you're not going to notice a difference...I assure you.

The convenience of AirPods is astronomical. There's a reason that so many people love them, and I assure you it isn't because they're Apple sheep. And I also assure you that audio-quality wise I'm very impressed with them. They aren't magically amazing, but they're more than passable which I fully didn't expect them to be (again, I walk around with $1000+ worth of headphones in my bag everyday...2 wireless, 1 wired, and I still reach for the AirPods more often than not).

I'm not going to say that I'm in love with the removal of the audio jack and I applaud it. The transition to wireless cost me a lot of money and made me enjoy my custom in-ears considerably less now that I have to use a custom lightning cable to use them properly...but at the end of the day wireless audio is the future (for mobile phones). The benefits of it are undeniable at this point...and if removing that port allows phone manufacturers to fit in more stuff that makes their phones awesome, than so be it.

Trogdor1123

And that is fair, but for those making the false assertion that the jack needed to be removed for that to happen, is just BS.
I agree, I don't see a need to remove it either. Both could easily coexist and if you are a big fan of higher quality audio then you need a hardline as I understand.

Honestly phones are too thin right now imo

datsunzep

Still have a 6, have replaced the battery once. It's getting long in the tooth, but have no real desire to upgrade other than a better camera and would rather a smaller size. Give me the new iphone chip in the package of an SE and I'm sold.

Rbk_3

Still have a 6, have replaced the battery once. It's getting long in the tooth, but have no real desire to upgrade other than a better camera and would rather a smaller size. Give me the new iphone chip in the package of an SE and I'm sold.
The thing with the 6 that is really holding it back is the 1GB of RAM. The 6s will last a lot longer than the 6.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
The thing with the 6 that is really holding it back is the 1GB of RAM. The 6s will last a lot longer than the 6.

I use android so can't really comment on how the 6 runs but from what I gather iOS 12 helps tremendously for performance on some of the older phones.

brian0057

Banned
That's awesome. That is what people should do when a business tries to screw over their customers.

Maybe you can tell that to the people jumping with joy that several governments are getting involved in gaming just so that EA might get punished. You know, just like the free market already did.

lock2k

Banned
I've never been part of the "cult of Apple" but I must say I do enjoy my iPod classic from 2006. Still rock it daily and the thing is sturdy as hell and has a huge music collection that keeps growing. It's a great side companion for Spotify because I can insert the albums that are not available there.

That said, I did have two iPhone 4S. They were cool, but I live on a budget and I'm content with lower priced android phones that suit my needs. Nothing against the iPhone, great little device, but I'm not a big spender when it comes to phones.

lil puff

I've never been part of the "cult of Apple" but I must say I do enjoy my iPod classic from 2006. Still rock it daily and the thing is sturdy as hell and has a huge music collection that keeps growing. It's a great side companion for Spotify because I can insert the albums that are not available there.

That said, I did have two iPhone 4S. They were cool, but I live on a budget and I'm content with lower priced android phones that suit my needs. Nothing against the iPhone, great little device, but I'm not a big spender when it comes to phones.
The old iPods are like rocks, the newer ones can break down but the older ones, no. If you have the connections you can still use it.

Soybean

It's silly to get worked up over what Apple does or to treat them like some ultra-trendy brand. iOS has something like 15% global marketshare.

I've got my XS preordered, though!

lock2k

Banned
The old iPods are like rocks, the newer ones can break down but the older ones, no. If you have the connections you can still use it.
True, worked out with it just fine yesterday, came to work listening to it today, I love the little thing. Such a good gadget!

sendit

As someone who use android phones now (but had few iphones):

- home button is completely retarded idea in light of digital home button. It is just waste of space and doesn't work better because it works exactly the same as digital button.
- fingerprint sensor or face sensor is also retarded idea, no one cares about your dick picks, i have my phone without any security at all, all times. It is just waste of space. Especially with apple huge notch. If anything cybersecurity is important and that does not rely on you.
- modern BT headsets give you at minimum 10 hours of battery life at max volume. I bought my headset year ago and even if energy will be low you can connect it to microusb from phone and it will both charge and work like usuall. Jack is just old huge crappy waste of space. If anything phones with microUSB should long replace them. With BT headset you are looking at few days of listening in practice and that is without ever fumbling with cables.

You do understand that cybersecurity involves layers of security............... This may also include biometrics (faceID/touchID). Additionally, I hope you know the biggest risk factor in security are humans. Which I think you kind of proved that point by not securing your phone.

SonicSleuth

This thread makes me SMH. Unless you have more money than sense, nobody should be buying new $1k cell phones annually. It's just dumb.

Upgrade every 3 years, sure. Maybe then you can justify the $1k. I've done fine by upgrading to a generation older - currently a Google Pixel 1. I'll keep it a few years and then decide if I need the latest and greatest. But the idea we should be buying new cellphones every year is insane.

Top Bottom