• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Game of Thrones will disappoint us in the end

Link. Spoilers of course.

Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us in the end.

Not because its seventh season wasn’t its strongest or because of its pretty damn mediocre season seven finale. Not because of the struggles the show has faced since it outpaced its source material.

Rather, Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us because it’s put itself in an impossible position, and no matter what happens, its ending will dissatisfy many, or even most, of its viewers.

Since its very beginning, the show has been built atop three pillars, all of which have contributed to its popularity: the heroic fantasy, the subversion of that heroic fantasy, and the detailed history of Westeros. As I've written about in my book on the series and elsewhere, Game of Thrones has derived an astonishing amount of power from being both a traditional fantasy story — one where kids come of age, embark on magical quests, and discover that they’re the true heirs to the throne — at the same time as it subverts traditional fantasy story tropes. Ned Stark and Robb Stark’s deaths, the rises and falls of Stannis Baratheon, Daenerys Targaryen’s difficulties in Meereen, and especially Jon Snow's betrayal and murder at the hands of the Night’s Watch are all tragic stories that traditional fantasy doesn’t normally tell.

And all along the way, both the HBO series and the George R.R. Martin novels on which it’s based have gone into a tremendous amount of detail to fill in the entire story of Westeros and much of Essos at the end of the world. The detail of Game of Thrones has been a tremendous strength — its world feels solid, lived-in, and real enough to support an ever-escalating, apocalyptic story within its fantasy setting.

But as the show now hurtles toward its endgame, it has only six episodes left to braid these three major elements into a single resolution. The problem is that each of them lends itself to a completely different type of ending, and all of them will upset viewers for one reason or another.

Game of Thrones must choose a heroic, subversive, or history-based ending — it’s impossible to successfully achieve all three

Much more at the link.

I mean, of course it will. The money is in the chase.

Same with Walking Dead/other shows that focus on anticipation/headcanon stuff

There's just too much shit that still needs to happen with only six episodes left.

I mean, of course it will. The money is in the chase.

Same with Walking Dead/other shows that focus on anticipation/headcanon stuff

Walking Dead will make me happy when it ends.

mcrommert

Banned
Yo everyone is too cool for got now... That stuff is now garbage, etc.

But of course it will Dissapoint because fantasy and sci-fi almost always does at the end

Other than Naruto and Babylon 5

kmax

In the end?

The last season had atrocious writing. I wish we could of seen the book version being adapted than what we're seeing atm. I'm not going to blame them for George's incredibly slow efforts (seeing as there's no book to adapt), but it's still a shame.

The TV writers can't hold a candle to him.

blakep267

Probably only way it wouldn't for me is for John to be riding drogon and the night king on his dragon and they have a jousting match

Yo everyone is too cool for got now... That stuff is now garbage, etc.

But of course it will Dissapoint because fantasy and sci-fi almost always does at the end

Other than Naruto
and Babylon 5
Probably because Naruto has been a dissspointment for most of its lifespan

Game of Thrones must choose a heroic, subversive, or history-based ending — it’s impossible to successfully achieve all three

I've read a feast for crows. I can't see any way in which the ending would be a disappointment after that.

Monocle

Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us in the end.

Not because its seventh season wasn’t its strongest or because of its pretty damn mediocre season seven finale. Not because of the struggles the show has faced since it outpaced its source material.
When did this become the common sentiment? The article phrases it like there's a consensus among viewers.

Rather, Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us because it’s put itself in an impossible position, and no matter what happens, its ending will dissatisfy many, or even most, of its viewers.
This seems more accurate, but only in the bland sense that any show with a giant audience is bound to let down subsets of people who have mutually contradictory expectations.

zeemumu

Probably. There's too much plot going on and they're not gonna be able to close it all up in a satisfying way in 6 episodes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
We've been through season 5, we can handle disappointment. Good point in the article though, the ending is sure to disappoint for many because some will want a traditional 'epic' ending while others want something that strays from the norm.

It's sad that we'll probably never see the way George envisioned it.

I was prepared for this after season 5 was so damn bad and the show's been burning through material first like they're trying to beat a record.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its disappointed me for a couple seasons now with how shoddy the writing and characters turned out after they ran out of written material. Even before that the cracks were showing and only getting worse.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I can't believe how badly they have paced it. Some of the episodes in the first seasons were so slow now everything is way too fast.

mcrommert

Banned
Probably because Naruto has been a dissspointment for most of its lifespan

The Naruto thing was mostly a joke though having been away for years I was impressed how well it wrapped up

Everyone should remember Battlestar Galactica before they complain about got

rhino4evr

The problem with game of thrones is that it's become too predictable. That's not exactly the tv writers fault. The book readers knew John Snow would be coming back to life, they also figured out his heritage.

With SO many people making theories about what will happen, it becomes anticlimactic when it actually does.

This is what ruined west world for me. People were guessing the twist ending by the first episode.
Or in opposite , true detective had folks over theorizing the show, which also led to some disappointment

The internet has made the water cooler too large for a weekly show to be successful in surprises. It's why Netflix's binge viewing has become more popular.

The longer we have to solve the riddle, the quicker we answer it.

VDenter

Banned
This was doomed to happen as soon as the show overtook the books. The writing has been severely disappointing. To be fair George is partly to blame for this.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Y'alls actin like Season 5 was the worst because of how bad Dorne was (it was only 30 mins and was mostly inconsequential, not because it was actually "bad"). Meanwhile you have two episodes of Season 7 that are some of the worst in the series. Seriously go re-watch Season 5, it may not be perfect, but it is not as bad as you think.

They can wrap it up in six episodes, there is simply not that much plot left. You can tell by the rapid-style pace of earlier in Season 7.

NSESN

I won't be disappointed because I don't have huge expectation for it. I just want the final war against the dead to be great, if that is good I might as well not watch the ending and leave the series in a high note.

Hrothgar

The only disappointment I will have is that it will be over after next season.

The problem with game of thrones is that it's become too predictable. That's not exactly the tv writers fault. The book readers knew John Snow would be coming back to life, they also figured out his heritage.

With SO many people making theories about what will happen, it becomes anticlimactic when it actually does.

This is what ruined west world for me. People were guessing the twist ending by the first episode.
Or in opposite , true detective had folks over theorizing the show, which also led to some disappointment

The internet has made the water cooler too large for a weekly show to be successful in surprises. It's why Netflix's binge viewing has become more popular.

It's why I stopped reading through OTs here for shows I watch, it just takes the fun out of watching a show.

wandering

Banned
The Naruto thing was mostly a joke though having been away for years I was impressed how well it wrapped up

Everyone should remember Battlestar Galactica before they complain about got

You're one of the very few people I've seen who don't view Naruto's ending with absolute scorn.

This was doomed to happen as soon as the show overtook the books. The writing has been severely disappointing. To be fair George is partly to blame for this.

Yeah. The people I'm watching GoT with think I'm too much of a nitpicker, but I can absolutely tell a difference even in things as basic as the dialogue. Everything feels so... lame ever since the show overtook the books, and I can't imagine the ending will overtake any of the iconic moments of the earlier seasons.

Or you become as insane as Twin Peaks. Can't predict that shit.

Monocle

Yeah, but as you kinda suggested, that's an internet problem, not a Game of Thrones problem, or even a TV problem. This giant digital water cooler allows people to put their heads together and ferret out virtually every twist, secret, and obscure detail in any kind of narrative media, including books, movies, and games. I saw it happen with the Harry Potter series, the Star Wars prequels, and the Halo sequels too.

These are the times we live in. The best way to save yourself from spoilers is to unplug, assuming that's even realistic given your job or social activities. And there's no telling what some unfortunate coincidence is going to deliver to your eyes or ears when you're out in public.

N7.Angel

Everyone can agree that 6 episodes is not enough to end the story properly, it'll feel rushed, as much as the season 7, HBO need to change their plans or the best show of the decade will finish as a big disappointment...

Hindl

What the hell is this? Criticizing an ending before it even airs. This better not become a thing like best of lists in early December. Goddamn internet.
They only have 6 episodes left and it'll take some great writing to wrap it up satisfactorily in that amount of time. And given that this season has had some of the worst writing in the series, it's not hard to think the ending will be disappointing

zsynqx

If you're expecting it to cure cancer, sure.

If you just want an entertaining conclusion, I'm damn sure they will deliver that.

Anarion07

Pretty damn mediocre season finale?

jlawokay.gif

Gotta get those clicks somehow.

Pretty damn useless article. I Think theres never been a season finale to any show that satisfied everyone?

The only way it can disappoint me is if everyone lays down their weapons, and both the living and dead hold hands and dance and embrace one another.

There's just too much shit that still needs to happen with only six episodes left.

No there isn't. The plot has already converged into two threads (war in the north, war in the south) and if the rumour of 90 minute episodes is true, there's literally an entire Lord of the Rings trilogy worth of run time left in this series.

In the end?

The last season had atrocious writing. I wish we could of seen the book version being adapted than what we're seeing atm. I'm not going to blame them for George's incredibly slow efforts (seeing as there's no book to adapt), but it's still a shame.

The TV writers can't hold a candle to him.

Haha. Keep believing that and set yourself up for disappointment. Books have been on a downward trejectory and now he's rewriting like crazy cause he knows the fans reactions.

Books will be a mess if and whenever they happen.

Top Bottom