• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Game of Thrones will disappoint us in the end

Lkr

Pretty damn mediocre season finale?

jlawokay.gif

Gotta get those clicks somehow.

Pretty damn useless article. I Think theres never been a season finale to any show that satisfied everyone?
You're right, it wasn't mediocre, it was boring and shit.

Been doing a rewatch of the show, it is jaw dropping to remember how good everything from writing to acting used to be. Of course, this is what happens when you get a good cast that must all be killed off and then you get to the point where the Lannisters have the only good actors in the series. Then you realize that D&D completely simplified where the northern storyline was going to the point where everything in the north is now dull as hell. The best scenes this season were when we finally got our time with Tyrion/Cersei and Jaime/Tyrion.
Of course I'll watch the next season but the show really became lost after it outpaced the source.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Rather, Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us because it's put itself in an impossible position, and no matter what happens, its ending will dissatisfy many, or even most, of its viewers.

But as the show now hurtles toward its endgame, it has only six episodes left to braid these three major elements into a single resolution. The problem is that each of them lends itself to a completely different type of ending, and all of them will upset viewers for one reason or another.

"You can't please everyone"

Damn, Vox with the though provoking revelations. Pack it up HBO.

_5S3eP.gif

Yep, it's a GoT discussion on NeoGAF!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
i dont think i can be any more disappointed than i was with season 7. im expecting a rock bottom barrel of shit for the final season

wrowa

Martin is also unable to end the series, that much should be obvious considering how much he struggles to wrap up Winter. The series' writers receive too much hate: there's some questionable to bad writing, but when trying to wrap up a complex game of 3D chess you'll end up with a mediocre plot line or another. Relative to the task they've to achieve, they are handling GoT really well.

That being said, the ending will obviously be a disappointment to a lot of people. There will be unanswered plot holes, there will be characters making questionable decisions for the sake of continueing the story, and - obviously - after a years and years of wishes and theories, lots of fans will be disappointed because it won't have the ending they envisioned for the series.

Lucreto

Endings are hard to pull off successfully. Toy Story 3 I remember was perfect ending.

I just finished the last season and loved ever second of it. The wait until 2019 will be painful.

Elandyll

Banned
I knew there'd be a "How can the ending be disappointing when it disappoints now?" Hot Take fairly fast, and lo and behold it starts with the first post...

effzee

I love how the article is about the ending not being satisfying because the show is so popular, big, and because the books aren't finished the fan theories are going to ruin whatever ending they go with.

Yet ppl in this thread keep talking about how the show sucks and has sucked since way back when it wasn't as popular so it was their little show they liked.

It's almost like they didn't read or get the point of the article. Dumb article anyway. What groundbreaking conclusion they reached.

The problem with game of thrones is that it's become too predictable. That's not exactly the tv writers fault. The book readers knew John Snow would be coming back to life, they also figured out his heritage.

With SO many people making theories about what will happen, it becomes anticlimactic when it actually does.

This is what ruined west world for me. People were guessing the twist ending by the first episode.
Or in opposite , true detective had folks over theorizing the show, which also led to some disappointment

The internet has made the water cooler too large for a weekly show to be successful in surprises. It's why Netflix's binge viewing has become more popular.

The longer we have to solve the riddle, the quicker we answer it.
this complaining makes literally 0 sense. You hate that through millions of people, some guess right.. and yet you simultaneously seek the theories.. What? Also s7 finale was great, wtf is the writer of this piece making it a consensus bad ending? Must 100% be a bitter book reader 😭😂. some of the biggest fucking babies on the internet.

Regarding the ending, I have pretty low expectations. Just make sure Danny dies without ever getting on the throne
and Sansa sits on throne at the end 😊👌

My cousin and her husband read the books and then manage to not watch the show by their free will. NOW that's disappointing.

I am loving it. Every Monday in my office we had a small GOT chat for half of an hours. I don't remember any other show can get people so passionate about the plot. I am talking about in real life people, not internet people.

Geist-

I'm sure D&D will find a way to disappoint even with the low standards I have for them. At this point I'm only in it for the spectacle.

The worse they can do is have it be boring and I'm sure it won't be.

It will be bittersweet and it will be safe with no twists as much as I would love there to be. Dany or Jon will take the throne and the White Walkers will be defeated.

Martin is also unable to end the series, that much should be obvious considering how much he struggles to wrap up Winter. The series' writers receive too much hate: there's some questionable to bad writing, but when trying to wrap up a complex game of 3D chess you'll end up with a mediocre plot line or another. Relative to the task they've to achieve, they are handling GoT really well.

That being said, the ending will obviously be a disappointment to a lot of people. There will be unanswered plot holes, there will be characters making questionable decisions for the sake of continueing the story, and - obviously - after a years and years of wishes and theories, lots of fans will be disappointed because it won't have the ending they envisioned for the series.

This is how I feel as well. GRRM should’ve just
done the 5 year jump and not done AFFC and ADWD the way he did. He basically opened up a lot of story threads that are narrative dead ends, particularly as far as taking the ice & fire story to conclusion. They were able to avoid some in the show; but there’s just too much to wrap up

How could you when it has become so bad? I mean it's fucking pathetic. It is literally (yes, literally as defined by Webster's) a piece of shit. Just the worst. Can't you see that??????

Cause the general public enjoys it and they far outweigh the hardcore book nerds that remember every piece of details from years ago. I read the books and I don't remember half the stuff I hear talked about in the book threads. I actually thought I may have skipped a book at one point. Positivity by most non book readers I talk to is high. Show is big worldwide and some cheap effects are not stopping it.

The show is fine. Just go with it. All big name shows finales suck anyway so no surprise overall if this one disappoints since it would really be keeping with tradition.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'll be disappointed if Dany doesn't die

So yeah I'll be disappointed
It will happen don't worry.
Haha. Keep believing that and set yourself up for disappointment. Books have been on a downward trejectory and now he's rewriting like crazy cause he knows the fans reactions.

Books will be a mess if and whenever they happen.
There is no evidence for this and people need to stop acting like it's true. The books are still great.
We're getting a series made out of movie length episodes and people are disappointed.

What a time to be alive.
Writing is important, if the writing sucks, the show will automatically suffer because of it.

There's a lot of questionable writing. And no the showrunners are not handling it well. And when you are literally given scripts to adapt from, it makes it much easier. The fact that after they the left books and were only given outlines pretty much proves that either they aren't actually good at this...or they simply don't care. They started trying to wrap it up faster than it should have been because they had been already been working on since 2007. It's understandable why they were tired, but they should have passed it on to fresh eyes.
It's been disappointing since like S3 or even S2 so yeah.
...Season 3 had the red wedding and Season 2 the battle of black water...so no?

Addi

I think this also depends a lot on how it's acted and directed, you could sell anything if it's done well.

I think I will be satisfied, but I really do wish they could have gotten more episodes. The pacing picked up way too quickly.

jett

D-Member
That was a damn solid write-up of the books and the show. Can't be a coincidence that the books became worse as the plot was expanded beyond GRRM's reach, and that the show also became worse as it attempted to adapt those books.

Regarding the actual state of the show, I just can't see D&D writing an ending that will satisfy most people, and even less manage to wrap all this up in six episodes appropriately. Look at how "much" the story progressed in season 7. Dany arrived to Westeros on the first episode and has accomplished very little. If nothing at all. We'll see I guess, but I also expect widespread disappointment.

NeoBob688

I thought season 6 was well done, but season 7 became too predictable, cliched, and gooodness
the writing was quite bad in spots.

RangerX

Banned
When did this become the common sentiment? The article phrases it like there's a consensus among viewers.

Season 7 has been widely and rightly criticised for it's complete and utter reliance on spectacle. Everything else has gone downhill since the fourth season. Also before anyone says it, no, It didn't have to be this way.

Are the episodes longer in the final season. That may help wrap some things up if so. 6 is way too short unless half are 1.5-2 hours long.

Mato

The ending should be shot as a movie trilogy. Minimum 3 year gap between each film release.

Joeku

I thought season 6 was well done, but season 7 became too predictable, cliched, and gooodness
the writing was quite bad in spots.
Kind of where I'm falling. Holy lord was the season 6 finale (yes, despite being post-book) maybe the most twisty, exciting, and cathartic hour of television I've seen in years. Season 7 (aside from maybe the first twenty minutes of the finale) had SEVERE pacing issues and wrapped up plotlines so quickly and unevenly that I was left wondering why the even bothered in the first place.

I mean, I know why. That stuff was around for years but now they have 6 episodes left and some stuff just had to end for there to be room for what needs to be in. It's just...so much was unearned.

Edit: please god bring Sapochnik back for the finale and put it in theatres.

GRRM said that the ending is going to be LOTR-style bittersweet so expect something like that. It's not going to be OG tragic/disastrous like Cersei or the NKing winning, and it won't be ultra happy like Jon & Dany ruling together with their kids.

and before anyone says "LOTR had a happy ending, barely even bittersweet" - I'm pretty sure he was referring to the books, not the movies
I'll be disappointed if Dany doesn't die

So yeah I'll be disappointed
I think she will have a baby, and then she will die. She's wanted to be a mother to a human child but she'll never live to be that but she'll successfully give birth this time

Fbh

It will probably be some generic ending. Good guys end up winning but 1 or 2 major characters die.

The bigger problem will be the pacing. It already felt really bad and rushed this season. And I fear the next one will be even worse in this regard.

WedgeX

Banned
There's only one way GoT can end:

The Night King et al surround Daenerys and cohort.

All looks lost, as it does.

Until a 1973 Oldsmobile falls from the sky. A swaggering man with a chainsaw for a hand emerges talking gibberish about necro something or other. Really he just knows it's good to be the king.

Cue Ash v Evil Dead season 3: Throne of Darkness

Temp_User

The only GoT ending that would not disappoint would be if Jaimie fulfilled the Azor Hai prophecy and killed the Night King/Bran.

Yeah, im part of the problem.

BigDug13

There's just too much shit that still needs to happen with only six episodes left.

Walking Dead will make me happy when it ends.

Each episode is going to be nearly 90 minutes so it is closer to 9 episodes worth of time. Still feels like too few for how much story is left.

Zabka

If the books or show end with the characters just being slotted into some prophecy I will be severely disappointed.

Top Bottom