• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: How a recording studio mishap shaped 80s music

iamblades

Yeah, I don't think you understand how acoustics work or how important they are to drum recordings. Have you recorded drums before? I have. Like a lot. In different environments with widely varying acoustics, including a studio designed in the 70s that was almost unchanged since. Sounds like there is plenty of room sound in that clip. Doesn't sound like the drum sound I think of when I think of the 70s (which is a good thing, minus that kick drum resonance).

There really isn't much room in that recording. A lot of resonance though. Listen to the transients on the snare hits and the hihat close, compare to say the kick or the toms. Double overhead cardioid condenser mics don't really pick up any room sound aside from direct reflections off the floor.

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic here, as even a close mic setup picks up some room sound, it's just at such a relatively low db level that it is inaudible even with heavy compression. Double overhead or glyn johns method is basically 95%+ direct sound as well, even with very heavy compression the room reverb is going to be mostly inaudible, especially after mixing. To get heavy room reverb like on Levee or The Ocean, you actually need a room mic(and maybe tape echo too), overheads will never get you that regardless of the size of the room or how reflective it is. The majority of Bonham's drums are not reverb soaked, only a handful of songs use that sound, mainly slower ones. If they had used heavy room reverb on a song like wearing and tearing it would turn to mud.

Well you could use ribbons and you'll get the reverb off the ceiling, but it's really hard to actually capture much reverb with a mic inside of 8 feet of the kit, because the relative loudness difference is so large. Even in a perfectly reflective room, inverse square law can't be beat.

Fuchsdh

You mean ruined it.

I still haven't forgiven Phil Collins for that shit.

A decade of what could have been good music ruined by shit drum sounds.

Also when I think 70's drums I think Led Zeppelin, which was not 'artificially dry' by any means.

Honestly I think the artificial reverb on vocals far worse than gated reverb. It dates 1980s music terribly, the musical equivalent of massive shoulder pads and teased hair.

I'm glad a lot of the stylistic stuff has come back though, but it's done in a way that's less overdone and IMO much more constrained and subtle.

It's funny, I used to hate "that sound" that 80s songs had back when I was a kid throughout the 90s. But now that I'm an audio engineer, I love it so much.

Learning how the sausage was made actually made me like it more in this case.

Also, I love me some AMS RMX 16, I have that plugin they show in the video and you'd be surprised. That thing can sound great in contemporary styles. Yes, the nonlinear algorithm has a very specific sound. But the other algos sound fantastic as well and have a nice timbre to them.

Game Theroy is another Mitch Easter produced band, and a damned shame they never made it big. Loud Family, Scott Miller's follow up band, us also awesome.
Last week Scott's wife and others released the Game Theory album Supercalifragile that he was working on when he died. From a quick listen on the Bandcamp site, it doesn't live up to Lolita Nation, but at least it's not a disaster like Soul Asylum's Delayed Reaction (that shit scarred me so much I can't bring myself to try their latest release.)

Last week Scott's wife and others released the Game Theory album Supercalifragile that he was working on when he died. From a quick listen on the Bandcamp site, it doesn't live up to Lolita Nation, but at least it's not a disaster like Soul Asylum's Delayed Reaction (that shit scarred me so much I can't bring myself to try their latest release.)

Lolita Nation is a high bar. I'll give it a try.

My personal favorite of his work is the first Loud Family album, Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things. It's genius.

That, Security,and So has to be one of the best runs of albums by anyone ever. But 3 is probably the one that burned into my brain the most, since I had it first.

Treo360

You mean ruined it.

I still haven't forgiven Phil Collins for that shit.

A decade of what could have been good music ruined by shit drum sounds.

Also when I think 70's drums I think Led Zeppelin, which was not 'artificially dry' by any means.

Preach. As an 80's child I hated that crap. One of the reasons I can not, for the life of me, listen to a great portion of 80's music.

Peter Gabriel's third solo album has to be somewhere near the top when it comes to influential albums. A lot of "years ahead of it's time" sounding tracks on there.

So true. I still can remember when 11-old me listened to the radio and they played a brand new song called "No Self Control" from a guy I'd never heard of before.

I was so flashed and got goosebumps back then, because that was music from the future for me. Huge impact on my musical taste.

saturnine

While I can give it a pass to bands formed in the decade, 80's production techniques shittied up way too many good bands to not deserve criticism.

(I didn't expect to read a The The mention on gaf today. nice)

I love that big phat analogue reverby 80s sound, with all those big snares. Everything sounds too clean and lifeless these days.

This post is like an oxymoron hypernova holy shit ahah
the 80s sound is basically a lot of tiny, ultra digital, artificial shimmering cold and chirurgical sounds.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Double overhead cardioid condenser mics don't really pick up any room sound aside from direct reflections off the floor.

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic here, as even a close mic setup picks up some room sound, it's just at such a relatively low db level that it is inaudible even with heavy compression.

Hahahahahaha. Dude, you really don't know what you're talking about here. For an engineer, that actually knows what to listen for, the room sound in that clip is very clearly audible. No, it's not drenched 80's style, but it's very clearly audible.

What you're describing defies the physics of acoustics unless you're talking about some anechoic chamber or a room with huge absorption coefficients on all surfaces and at all frequencies. Close mic'd drums absolutely are effected by the acoustics of the room. Obviously to a much, much smaller degree than overheads due to the inverse square law, but go close mic a snare in a closet and do the same outside in a field and tell me they sound the same. The reason that you don't hear much if any "reverb" with close mics is because they are almost always gated (manually or with a gate processor). Even so, there is still "room sound" that affects the signal to an audible degree due to phase cancellation, resonant nodes, flutter echo, etc. This close mic thing is a bit of a tangent, but you're statement that there is no room sound with close mics is just factually incorrect.

With overheads though, you get a decent amount of reverb, unless you're recording in a ultra deadened, 70's style studio (and even then, some of those places focused more on deadening mid to high frequencies and left the bass reflections to flop around the room like a dead fish). The difference between recording in a great sounding room and a shit sounding room is night and day, because of the room sound.

This post is like an oxymoron hypernova holy shit ahah
the 80s sound is basically a lot of tiny, ultra digital, artificial shimmering cold and chirurgical sounds.
I think it was a joke post.

Not the first time a Genesis member accidentally popularized/created a technique in music. The former lead guitarist of Genesis, Steve Hackett was the first to really use finger tapping on a popular rock record -- way before Van Halen or anyone in the late 70s/80s. All the members of Genesis are musical geniuses. Collins and Gabriel are amazing!

The Musical Box by Genesis

tenor.gif

I was nostalgic for 80s music by the mid 90s lol. Love the sound of all of those guys.

iamblades

Hahahahahaha. Dude, you really don't know what you're talking about here. For an engineer, that actually knows what to listen for, the room sound in that clip is very clearly audible. No, it's not drenched 80's style, but it's very clearly audible.

What you're describing defies the physics of acoustics unless you're talking about some anechoic chamber or a room with huge absorption coefficients on all surfaces and at all frequencies. Close mic'd drums absolutely are effected by the acoustics of the room. Obviously to a much, much smaller degree than overheads due to the inverse square law, but go close mic a snare in a closet and do the same outside in a field and tell me they sound the same. The reason that you don't hear much if any "reverb" with close mics is because they are almost always gated (manually or with a gate processor). Even so, there is still "room sound" that affects the signal to an audible degree due to phase cancellation, resonant nodes, flutter echo, etc. This close mic thing is a bit of a tangent, but you're statement that there is no room sound with close mics is just factually incorrect.

With overheads though, you get a decent amount of reverb, unless you're recording in a ultra deadened, 70's style studio (and even then, some of those places focused more on deadening mid to high frequencies and left the bass reflections to flop around the room like a dead fish). The difference between recording in a great sounding room and a shit sounding room is night and day, because of the room sound.

I think it was a joke post.

Yeah, I've heard Glyn Johns style micing outdoors(closest I've been to an anechoic chamber) and in a bedroom with 8 ft ceilings. There is very very little difference in reverb. A mic 3-4 feet from the snare can't pick up much room sound, regardless of the room you are in. Granted the degree of the room sound that you capture will change if you are playing softly with a more muted kit.

And the physics agree with that I'm saying. Every doubling of distance is a 6 DB drop, even in a perfectly reflective room(which doesn't exist).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah, I've heard Glyn Johns style micing outdoors(closest I've been to an anechoic chamber) and in a bedroom with 8 ft ceilings. There is very very little difference in reverb. A mic 3-4 feet from the snare can't pick up much room sound, regardless of the room you are in. Granted the degree of the room sound that you capture will change if you are playing softly with a more muted kit.

And the physics agree with that I'm saying. Every doubling of distance is a 6 DB drop, even in a perfectly reflective room(which doesn't exist).

There is not a huge difference in "reverb" (long tail reflection) with close mic'd stuff. There is a gigantic difference in the sound of overheads between a small room and a large room. This is why engineers like to record drums in a good sounding, usually large rooms. I have never, ever heard any engineer that knows what they're doing say it's okay to record in small, shitty sounding rooms because you don't pick up room sound on the overhead mics. That's just not a thing. Literally no one does that unless they have to.

The inverse square law applies to directed sounds, but only works as a sort of loose guideline when talking about reflections. In a perfectly reflective room, how much reflections are picked up would be dependent on room shape, mic position, sound source position, and the polar pickup pattern of the mic. If you had a mic with perfect pickup from all directions in the center of the room, and the sound source emanated from the exact center as well, there would be no dropoff at all. The mic would be picking up all of the sound, unattenuated, bouncing back and forth between opposite walls and the center point of the room infinitely. Obviously this is an impossible situation (as is a perfectly reflective surface), but the math for reflections is very, very complex and non-linear.

I'm not sure why playing softly would negate room sound. Perhaps from less non-linear room resonance, as well as taking into account microphone sensitivity? I honestly can't say it's something I've ever actively paid attention to, mostly because I want signal to be loud to negate equipment noise and any ambient sound.

Menome

It's funny to read how people talk about "80's synthwave" and how they have always loved it. There really was no such thing and all most of the current trendy 80's style synth music is actually a new genre. Sure there was elecronic music it was quite different. Some movie soundtracks and game music probably come closest. But i like it and i'm happy that it exists.

The best name would be "newretrowave". It's new and it sounds retro. It's basically this idealized pseudo 80's thing that never really existed.

Synthwave for me does seem to follow on from theme tunes like Airwolf and Knight Rider. It's definitely based on music of the time, but not in terms of what was in the charts.

Top Bottom