• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP of Digital Media at Microsoft Confirms NO 1080p HD-DVD or DVD over Component

yeah when it comes to TVs i don't think it's insane to suggest sony make good quality sets. I have a rear projection 1080p 50" SXRD (that doesn't take a 1080p feed, but does a great job making 1080i look like 1080p and has internal scalers and 3:2 pulldown and such) and I love it.

you don't have to be in the SDF to appreciate that Sony make great TVs. they had a wobble for a few years and let other people outpace them, but they've definately caught up and in my opinion surpassed others in the LCD and rear projection area currently.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I have a Sony upscaler DVD player that upscales to 1080i quite nicely via HDMI. For the price and the money I am saving to buy games, the many movies I have in my DVD collection look absolutely great on my 30" Sony CRT.

I have one too actually! And I love it. I just want high-def for my high-def TV.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
Also, if you guys want to see the wonders 1080p does for 1080i material, just check out an HD-DVD demo on a 1080p Westinghouse at Best Buy. The resolution is staggering.

Cool. HD-DVD via the X360 player component connection at 1080i on a 1080p tv should look staggering.

I wonder how big a difference there will be between a 1080p TV receiving a 1080i signal versus one receiving a 1080p signal?

Nutter

Why is this Monkey an SDF leader or something; creating all these threads about the 360? Dont you have anything better to do?

A transparent troll if i ever saw one.

Nutter said:
Why is this Monkey an SDF leader or something; creating all these threads about the 360? Dont you have anything better to do?

A transparent troll if i ever saw one.

Because he gets away with it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
I'm sure it will.

Thanks JB. I now feel pretty confident that when I do buy a 1080p TV in a few years, all of my X360 games output at 1080i (and maybe HD-DVD movies if HD-DVD wins the format war) via component should look staggering.

DenogginizerOS said:
What percentage of tv's in homes and in stores are 1080p ready? How much more money will it cost me to purchase a great 1080i TV versus a great 1080p TV? What percentage of TV's have HDMI ports versus those with component only?
what percentage of tvs in homes are even 720p/1080i ready?

:lol :lol :lol

i don't get this whole 'middle ground' balancing act...

on one hand, there are all these people saying how people who don't have a hdtv suck for playing dead rising, yet when the 1080p angle pops up, it's a fliparoo...

PhatSaqs

Banned
Moderation Unlimited said:
The question is why. Why should he get away with it? Does he have some kind of insider connection or something. Cuz these threads are pretty annoying.
PM a Mod with this question.

JB1981

sugarhigh4242 said:
question about the HD-DVD drive:

Will you be able to load Xbox360 games on DVD from the HD-DVD drive?

Not sure, but HD-DVD drives handle DVD playback with ease. In fact, they're releasing a lot of dual-layered HD-DVDs: one side being the hd-dvd version, the other being the dvd version of the movie. That way, you don't have to buy two versions of the same movie (a cool idea, if you ask me).

Moderation Unlimited said:
The question is why. Why should he get away with it? Does he have some kind of insider connection or something. Cuz these threads are pretty annoying.
he is very very careful. he keeps his inflammatory remarks to such things as open ended questions. he didn't say Microsoft lied, he just wondered if they were lying or not. he's damn good at keeping the right side of the line, which is the most impressive thing about his posts.

RoH

StoOgE said:
Wow, this certainly needed its own thread.

That way the SDF could be sure everyone saw how MS 'lied' to us and reasure themselves that the PS3 is the only true 4d system.

Or maybe MS could release an HDMI cable for the 360? Also, the DVI output on the 360 has been great since the Spring update. But dont let the truth get in your way. Sadly, my TV's DVI input is on the front of the TV so I wont use it as a permanent solution.. (I guess it makes sense for hooking a laptop up :x)

Unless you want to play games on your game console, than the 360 can do nicely. Or downloaded movies to the 360's HD, or movies streamed from you PC.

I dont know why I'm even arguing this, I dont care about 1080p, but some peoples "lomgic" is erally annoying.

Question: if any one know or if you know. I have a VGA cable can I use a VGA, to DVI to HDMI converter? (Xbox Vga cable)---->(VGA to DVI converter)---->(DVI to HDIMI). Would that work?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
RoH said:
Question: if any one know or if you know. I have a VGA cable can I use a VGA, to DVI to HDMI converter? (Xbox Vga cable)---->(VGA to DVI converter)---->(DVI to HDIMI). Would that work?
no, and already answered in this thread I believe.

RoH said:
no. i was pondering the same so i looked it up. DVI allows for analogue signals to be sent down the cable, which is what the VGA to DVI adapter does (presuming you aren't talking about something that costs hundreds of dollars). HDMI doesn't allow for analogue signals at all. so that won't work.

RoH

plagiarize said:
no. i was pondering the same so i looked it up. DVI allows for analogue signals to be sent down the cable, which is what the VGA to DVI adapter does (presuming you aren't talking about something that costs hundreds of dollars). HDMI doesn't allow for analogue signals at all. so that won't work.

The thing is I have a DVI to HDMI adapter sitting right in front of me, with a DVI to VGA adapter attached to it. I'm just missing the female connector to attach the male xbox VGA adapter.

But i guess it has been tried and does not work... Alas I have saddened my self again...

segasonic

Mrbob said:
For all intents and purposes, you want 1080P you buy a PS3. Only way you will really get 1080P is via HDMI.
vga.jpg

RoH said:
The thing is I have a DVI to HDMI adapter sitting right in front of me, with a DVI to VGA adapter attached to it. I'm just missing the female connector to attach the male xbox VGA adapter.

But i guess it has been tried and does not work... Alas I have saddened my self again...
the vga cable comes with such an adapter doesn't it?

segasonic

Nerevar said:
1080p won't be standard, anyone claiming it is either has an agenda or isn't really looking at the industry rationally.

HD-DVD and BluRay are both 1080p, 1080p capable panels can display 1080i without a problem.

Consumers are obsessed with features and bullett points.

Conclusion: 1080p WILL be standard.

RoH

plagiarize said:
the vga cable comes with such an adapter doesn't it?

Yeah but my buddy borrowed it for use with his monster cables on his his PC monitor (I use my big ass TV with a Female input), but he moved away and forgot to give it back. Oh yeah I for got to give him his HDMI VGA adapter thing.

I want to do this because my TV is 720 native and does not Upscale over VGA. And I can not go back to Component cables every thing looks blurry..

arne

plagiarize said:

mostly true.

DVI does allow analog signals to be sent down the cable.

however HDMI doesnt' allow for analog signals so you'd need a D -> A converter which I don't think exists.

HOWEVER, if your tv still has a DVI input and it supports HDCP (most newer DVI I believe) AND DVI-A -- you won't have to go to HDMI.

arne

RoH said:
Yeah but my buddy borrowed it for use with his monster cables on his his PC monitor (I use my big ass TV with a Female input), but he moved away and forgot to give it back. Oh yeah I for got to give him his HDMI VGA adapter thing.

I want to do this because my TV is 720 native and does not Upscale over VGA. And I can not go back to Component cables every thing looks blurry..

if your tv is 720 native and takes VGA input, just use that and set the dash for 720.

you want to use the native resolution of your TV set.

also if your component inputs make everything look blurry, the issue isn't with component.

jamesb23

Here's what I heard from an MS rep. From the article:

There's been a lot of talk about the problems associated with 1080p output over a component connection (because of digital rights management), and that on the Xbox 360 1080p would only be possible via VGA or an as yet unannounced HDMI connection for the console. However, an MS spokesperson told us today that 1080p can be done on either VGA or component, but that they haven't confirmed it will be done over a component connection. "More details will come on how we're outputting but it won't require HDMI," the rep said.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13877

snatches

segasonic said:
HD-DVD and BluRay are both 1080p, 1080p capable panels can display 1080i without a problem.

I don't think anyone will argue this. But when will this happen?

Hunter D

snatches said:
I don't think anyone will argue this. But when will this happen?
In 3-5 years. 720P has to become the standard first. Once it does they will move on o 1080P, forcing people to buy a new tv.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
segasonic said:

:lol

compelling argument. You forget that historically consumers have been shown to be much, much, much more concerned with 1 thing: price. Unless 1080p panels retail for the same as a 720 panel and both retail as "High Definition" (whether the 1080p one is "enhanced", "true", or "beyond", doesn't matter) I can guarantee you which ones will sell more.

arne said:
mostly true.

DVI does allow analog signals to be sent down the cable.

however HDMI doesnt' allow for analog signals so you'd need a D -> A converter which I don't think exists.

HOWEVER, if your tv still has a DVI input and it supports HDCP (most newer DVI I believe) AND DVI-A -- you won't have to go to HDMI.
if i had DVI i wouldn't need to go HDMI. i have a VGA in, but it's only set 4:3 resolutions that it accepts. you can buy VGA to component converters, but they're multiple hundreds for a decent one, and i could just get an upscaling DVD player for less. (since that's the only issue for me, my tv will make 1080i HD-DVD look awesome if i get the add on).

choc_cake

Banned
Damage control for the XDF?

No, I would say for the SDF.

Notice how hard they are trying to justify a $600+ purchase?

Well instead of starting threads like this, maybe you will feel better tonight.
I am sure Sony won't shoot themselves in the foot again.

Kolgar

I too waited for 1080p.

Note that this year's Samsungs (HL-S series) do indeed accept 1080p input over component. Possibly VGA too, but I'm not sure.

bud

from ps3.ign.com

Sony Responds to Microsoft's HD Bid
"Nyah nyah!" noises heard across the playground.
by David Adams

September 21, 2006 - Recently Microsoft has not only begun to show off the HD-DVD peripheral for the Xbox 360, but the company announced that its new console will soon be updated, via software, to offer 1080p HD output.

Unsurprisingly, Sony, which will offer its own brand of high-def DVD media with the PlayStation 3's Blu-ray support, did not miss the opportunity to answer. For the sake of enjoying some good mud-slinging, here is Sony's comment.

"It's unfortunate that Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer," commented Dave Karraker, senior director of Corporate Communications for Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Sony realizes that to truly take gaming into the next generation requires a larger data format for both games and movies. PS3 uses the Blu-ray format for gaming, giving developers 50 GB of high-definition storage on a single disc, while Microsoft's 9 GB DVD gaming format is an obstacle for storing HD content. Furthermore, Microsoft's announced HD games patch is really just a compatibility feature -- upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p), something that PS3 can do out of the box."

The PlayStation 3 reaches (and disappears from) store shelves on November 17. Microsoft's HD-DVD drive is slated to arrive later this year.

choc_cake said:
Damage control for the XDF?

No, I would say for the SDF.

Notice how hard they are trying to justify a $600+ purchase?

Well instead of starting threads like this, maybe you will feel better tonight.
I am sure Sony won't shoot themselves in the foot again.

I hate that justifying (fill in blank with so many dollars purchase) bullshit...

Why not spend the $600.00? It is certainly worth it from a value perspective. Same goes for the $400.00 for the X360 and the $200.00 for the HD-DVD add-on. They are both worth the $600.00 IMO. And the Wii is worth $250.00 for what it brings to the table.

That argument is not valid.

choc_cake

Banned
PS3 uses the Blu-ray format for gaming, giving developers 50 GB of high-definition storage on a single disc, while Microsoft's 9 GB DVD gaming format is an obstacle for storing HD content.

So they never heard of compression? Worst case is that you would
have to put in two DVD 9 disks that would be cheaper than that of
one blu-ray disk.

Sorry, but I don't think it is needed yet. Next gen beyond the PS3
and Xbox 360 sure, but not right now.

It isn't a big enough feature for me to go out and spend $600.
Not on a video game console.

Doesn't everyone get tired of the trolling and just useless crap?

By the way, I have been reading on these forums for years and just
now signed up, but honestly I think without people being fanboys and
making up crap about other consoles is just dumb.

Life is too short to worry about some dumb console and making that into your life.

JMPovoa

monkeymagic said:
Looks like you were right KLee - AACS is implemented NOW and there is no way MS can bypass that or CCA (for DVD) over component.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8478750&&#post8478750

It's a shame the VGA output on X360 is not up to par.

So were MS lying about 1080p over component or they just didn't know?

Maybe Stinkles or arne can fill us in.

VGA output on X360 is great since the last dashboard update.
When did Microsoft say that you could get 1080p for HD-DVD movies through component?

JoJo13

Banned
choc_cake said:
So they never heard of compression? Worst case is that you would
have to put in two DVD 9 disks that would be cheaper than that of
one blu-ray disk.
Every developer uses compression, stop acting dumb.

choc_cake

Banned
JoJo13 said:
Every developer uses compression, stop acting dumb.

Well, I didn't start this thread. :p

Oblivion is fine on one DVD and I am sure if it is a problem that using better compression and mutliple disks will solve the problem.

Many games on gamecube used many disks and nobody had a problem with that.

Onix said:
When was this even in question?

Seriously ... I don't know how many times this has been gone over.
i think it was that time when people found out the 2nd ps3 sku didnt have hdmi, then all the ps3/360 fanboys all started arguing for and against the technicalities of the issue...

----

Banned
Next HDTV or monitor I buy I'm making sure that it has a VGA connection cause it seems like it's the only connection that is not riddled with tons of copy protection bullshit.

Component is too ****ed up. DVD's can only play at 480p, but HD DVD can play up to 1080i? What the **** is the point of that? Why restrict a lower quality version of the source material more than a higher quality source? And who the **** copies movies over analog video connections anyway? This whole copy restriction mechanism makes no sense whatsoever.

When people copy and pirate a movie they copy the encoded data off the disc, not the decoded output. This whole component output restriction is nothing more than a nuissance and source of confusion for honest consumers. This does absolutely nothing to prevent pristine 1:1 quality piracy.

HDMI/DVI is garbage too. I connect my cable box via HDMI or DVI to my tv and all of a sudden my VCR can't record certain television shows that are flagged. If a tv show is flagged the digital connection will shutdown all other video outputs to prevent you from recording the program. I had to toss that HDMI shit out and go back to component just to be able to record tv shows over S-video. All this unnecessary aggravation just makes me want to pirate tv shows/movies and not have to deal with this hassle anymore.

Top Bottom