• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP of Digital Media at Microsoft Confirms NO 1080p HD-DVD or DVD over Component

PhatSaqs

Banned
Bud said:
from ps3.ign.com
MS Responds.
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13877

After getting word of Sony's comments Microsoft told GameDaily BIZ that contrary to the SCEA statement, "The facts are that with this software update, video and game content developed for 1080p will be output at 1080p -- native, not upscaled. Only content developed for lower resolutions will be upscaled."

There's been a lot of talk about the problems associated with 1080p output over a component connection (because of digital rights management), and that on the Xbox 360 1080p would only be possible via VGA or an as yet unannounced HDMI connection for the console. However, an MS spokesperson told us today that 1080p can be done on either VGA or component, but that they haven't confirmed it will be done over a component connection. "More details will come on how we're outputting but it won't require HDMI," the rep said.

PhatSaqs said:
if i was MS i'd throw somethingon xbox live arcade soon that runs at 1080p native just for it to be there.

marble blast ultra could probably run at 1080p pretty comfortably.

m0dus said:
The plot thickens!:lol

Monkey in 3 . . . 2 . . .
the plot doesn't thicken. Monkey and Ponn both know that what the MS rep says is true, they just think the sony rep actually meant to say that there weren't any 1080p games for the xbox 360 despite that not being what he actually said.

----

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
MS Responds:

However, an MS spokesperson told us today that 1080p can be done on either VGA or component, but that they haven't confirmed it will be done over a component connection. "More details will come on how we're outputting but it won't require HDMI," the rep said.
Well that clarifies nothing. That could mean......

For component users:

DVD
480p

HD DVD/Blu-ray
720p
1080i

Games
1080p

Video Downloads
1080p

For VGA users:

DVD
1080p

HD DVD/Blu-ray
1080p

Games
1080p

Video Downloads
1080p

arne

plagiarize said:
the plot doesn't thicken. Monkey and Ponn both know that what the MS rep says is true, they just think the sony rep actually meant to say that there weren't any 1080p games for the xbox 360 despite that not being what he actually said.

actually, my problem was that monkey had been saying over and over that the x360 GPU couldn't handle native 1080p content.

then again, I did very strongly allude to 1080p over component for HD-DVD too, so maybe we're even?

kenta

Has no PEINS
So what's all this talk about DOT if they plan on getting HD-DVD movies running in 1080p over component? Something's not right

Jim

---- said:
Well that clarifies nothing. That could mean......

This is truly, the only way it CAN work without breaking the AAC's restrictions.
People seem to also be confusing "1080p videos", with "copy-protected 1080p Hollywood movies". The latter being 100% not allowed (although physically possible) to be output over component at full resolution.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
m0dus said:
The plot thickens!:lol

Monkey in 3 . . . 2 . . .

He's not going to come back - just like the 1up "Ninja Gaiden Black on PS3" thread he started, when the 1up dudes made it sound like a trick - when his card gets pulled, he ducks out...

Either way, this was a useless "haha MS lied - oh wait they didn't" thread that was totally unnecessary since there is already a 360 1080p thread with this info in it...

He tried to call out MS, and failed miserably, again.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
segasonic said:
Conclusion: 1080p WILL be standard.

snatches said:
I don't think anyone will argue this. But when will this happen?
The question to ask isn't when 1080p will become standard but rather when it will become relevant, which is far sooner than when it becomes standard. In fact, it's already proving relevant based on the part it plays in defining the direction of two next-gen game platforms now as well as both successors to the current DVD movie standard.

arne said:
actually, my problem was that monkey had been saying over and over that the x360 GPU couldn't handle native 1080p content.

Until we see some native 1080p games it doesn't.

Right now all this update is good for is scaling 720p games to 1080p. Just as previously it had been able to scale 720p games to 1080i.

Microsoft alluding to native 1080p games is the same way they alluded to 1080p HD-DVD over component when neither actually exists.

I guess they hope they can fool more people by saying as little as possible.

arne said:

then again, I did very strongly allude to 1080p over component for HD-DVD too, so maybe we're even?
hmmn. he wasn't saying that in this thread... his posts on the second page seemed to be agreeing with Ponn who had no trouble believing the 360 could render internally at 1080p... but i see now how he might still have believed that.

edit: guess you're right. just saw his post above me. he remains batshit insane.

----

Banned
Jim said:
This is truly, the only way it CAN work without breaking the AAC's restrictions.
People seem to also be confusing "1080p videos", with "copy-protected 1080p Hollywood movies". The latter being 100% not allowed (although physically possible) to be output over component at full resolution.
Well then they should break the stupid AAC restrictions. The restrictions are retarded and do absolutely nothing to prevent piracy. The only purpose these AAC restrictions serve is to punish legitimate customers. People who want to copy and pirate movies are not playing back and manually recording video over an analog connection.

monkeymagic said:
do you know what 'capable' means? it means something can do something, whether or not it actually does. a bomb is capable of exploding even if it never does.
Right now all this update is good for is scaling 720p games to 1080p. Just as previously it had been able to scale 720p games to 1080i.
it also opens the door for a developer to make a game in 1080p where as before there was no point.
Microsoft alluding to native 1080p games is the same way they alluded to 1080p HD-DVD over component when neither actually exists.
the press release alluded to no such thing. Microsoft no more alluded to this than Sony did when talking about the $499 PS3. as i told you on the PS3 thread, more than once... the PS3 is capable of outputting a movie in 1080p over component if the disc isn't copy protected. not all store bought DVDs are. self burnt home movies won't be. the same is true of the xbox 360.
yes. you *guess*. just as you *guess* that everything sony says is true.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
monkeymagic said:
Uh no. There's a clear difference in what they've said about 1080p games vs. 1080p output for HD-DVDs. They didn't "allude" that 1080p games were possible, they outright declared that they were possible.

----

Banned
monkeymagic said:

Why wouldn't it be capable of 1080p games? ATi has said that the 360's graphics card is capable of 1080p. Your argument makes no sense. If 1080p HD DVD over component is not allowed it is only because of AAC copy protection restrictions which do not apply to video games. The Xbox 360 can certainly display 1080p video over component when AAC restriction is not present.

What reason do you have to believe that 1080p games are not possible on Xbox 360? Thankfully the video game industry has not been corrupted by copy protection the way Hollywood movie industry has.

arne

monkeymagic said:

hey, I could decide to not quote something too if it served my purpose, such as the part where *I* said

I can guarantee you that you'll be hard pressed to find an actual statement from MS that said that, because it doesn't exist. that all came from reading incorrectly between the lines.

just as soon as i'm done with coding this psychonauts BC, I'll code you a 1080p version of lode runner, 'k? what's a peek and a poke? I need help. :(

here's a warm thought for the Sony Defense Force.

doesn't Microsoft accepting 1080p as a standard make it more likely that multiplatform games will come out in 1080p on both systems? isn't it really plausible that you'll see more 1080p games on the playstation 3 than you would have done otherwise now?

shouldn't that make you happy?

JMPovoa

Having a 1080p HDTV as reference:

After the update, Xbox360 can output true 1080p signal through component and VGA.

Only when using the VGA cable will it output 1080p in DVD movies through upscaling and true 1080p in HD-DVD movies that support this resolution.

When using the Component calbe it'll be at best 480p in DVD movies and as high as 1080i in the case of HD-DVD movies.

For any other thing it'll output true 1080p or upscale to it depending on the situation no matter the video cable used.

Is that right?

JMPovoa said:
Having a 1080p HDTV as reference:

After the update, Xbox360 can output true 1080p signal through component and VGA.

Only when using the VGA cable will it output 1080p in DVD movies through upscaling and true 1080p in HD-DVD movies that support this resolution.

When using the Component calbe it'll be at best 480p in DVD movies and as high as 1080i in the case of HD-DVD movies.

For any other thing it'll output true 1080p or upscale to it depending on the situation no matter the video cable used.

Is that right?
yep. spot on.

thirty

Banned
i'm gonna make this simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV

what difference does it make when pretty much all of these....
480px-Standard_video_res.svg.png

have to fit into this SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE???
B00006ANXE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

unless everyone buys a HUGE television, IT DOESNT MATTER! thats why HD DVD and BR are having such a hard time as it is. going up to 1080p only worsens the perceive quality jump when the tube is still small.

thirty

Banned
segasonic said:
your tube may be small, but I'm playing on an HD beamer with 4 meters screen width :D

i have a 60 inch set and a 55 inch set. i'm refering to the mass market not people like myself.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thirty said:
No you're going to ignore things that have already been said to address this and really just make the discussion more convoluted than it needs to be.

JB1981

thirty said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV

what difference does it make when pretty much all of these....
480px-Standard_video_res.svg.png

have to fit into this SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE???
B00006ANXE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

unless everyone buys a HUGE television, IT DOESNT MATTER! thats why HD DVD and BR are having such a hard time as it is. going up to 1080p only worsens the perceive quality jump when the tube is still small.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Raistlin

DenogginizerOS said:
The industry is moving towards 1080p at a glacial pace.

This year's CEDIA (going on right now) says no.

By the time this generation starts to hit mass-market ... say 3 years or so ... there will be tons of 1080p TV's available under $2000 for large sizes, and less for smaller displays.

Will more people have 720p/1080i TV's in their homes by the end of this generation? Sure. However, there will be enough of a userbase of 1080p-capable TV's that this is will affect more than a niche market.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
monkeymagic said:

You're just being f'ing ridiculous now.

With what I've read from you in just the past 2 days, you are by far and wide the most nonsensical, jaded and ignorant poster I've seen here... seriously, who are you to say that the 360 being able to render at 1080p is a downright lie? Even on the day that the update comes out and people are displaying games and video at 1080p, are you still going to say they are lying?

All you are right now is some kind of pretend developer whose knowledge of these kind of things most likely extend no further than what you read on this very forum - stop embarassing yourself...

Seriously. You know nothing about the hardware, yet you continue to make yourself look like a fool...

Raistlin

WHOAguitarninja said:
Will people please stop with the "vga is not up to par"? It looks superior to component as the colors are more natural and less over saturated. Some people may prefer the over saturated look, but it loses definition when the colors are too vibrant. VGA is as closer to the correct color data than component. It's true that about 6 months ago the gamma was set too high on vga output...but that has since been remedied.

I assume you are referring to 360 specifically?

If there are any issues with 'naturalness', then that is a problem with the 360 - and not an issue with Component versus VGA in general.

Raistlin

VictimOfGrief said:
who the F*** cares about 1080p? I sure as hell don't with my 720p/1080i TV.

/thread.

Wait ... because you don't have a 1080p TV we should close this thread? :lol

:D

bill0527

Mmmkay said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/tgs-xbox-360-to-add-1080p-support-ps3-to-lose-bullet-point/

There's a difference between "movie and game content" and "all" content. The latter implies that the upscaling is unconditional, whereas CCA and AACS both provide conditions which prevent this over Component. I realise now that it doesn't acutally say Component anywhere, and it's bill0527's fault for repeating that it did ad infinitum in the other thread. It was late and I should have double checked. Essentially, it's the stupid internet's fault that Component upscaling/1080p became a 'feature' from this announcement.

You're right, now that I read the article again, they don't mention component anywhere.

The reason why I kept going on about the article is because of the fact that Shane Kim said that ALL content would be upscaled to up to 1080p.

ALL content meaning - HD-DVD, and regular DVDs. They didn't add the caveat those would only be possible over VGA only.

As if you needed more proof that Microsoft's adoption of high definition HD-DVD is little more than a strategic move to limit Blu-ray's potential sphere of influence, Microsoft's 1080p software upgrade will also remove some of the value of their upcoming HD-DVD add-on by upscaling your existing DVD movies to HD resolutions, including 1080p.

So, Microsoft just announced that the Xbox 360 will play your existing DVDs back in high-definition -- in addition to being able to play back legitimate HD-DVD content if you're interested -- and they're gonna do it in 1080p.

Nowhere in that little tidbit did they specify that it would be VGA only. That is why I got a little excited about it. I'm stuck on a 3 year old component only TV and I would love to have an upscaling DVD player.

The entire Joystiq article led me to believe that all of these features would be unlocked for every single Xbox 360 owner. They didn't specify or even give a clue that it would be restricted to every single Xbox 360 owner who is using VGA.

segasonic

bill0527 said:
Nowhere in that little tidbit did they specify that it would be VGA only. That is why I got a little excited about it. I'm stuck on a 3 year old component only TV and I would love to have an upscaling DVD player.
Aren't there VGA to Component converters?

monkeymagic said:

Now I'm confused... Doesn't Sony allude to the fact that the $499 PS3 can play video in 1080p over component? Has Sony themselves gone on the record to say that Blu-Ray movies can't be played in 1080p on the cheaper version?

Shogmaster said:
So clearly the 360 has more ways to output 1080p. Sony shitbaked? Microsoft just won the console war? Oh yeah, it never ****ing mattered to begin with. Monkeymagic, you never answered my question sweetcakes... pillow biter?

Will you be able to stream HD content from Windows Media Center Edition to the 360 in 1080P.

Thats all I would care about since I am sitting out the HD-DVD/BluRay battle in favor of media stored on a server.

segasonic

Interesting article on the same subject:

[http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060901-7651.html]

[...]

As a result of Sony's decision to keep HDMI off the $499 PS3 model—likely as a cost-savings measure—those opting for the less-expensive console will effectively be left out of the 1080p goodness altogether. According to Sony, "copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard." No HDMI cable, no 1080p. Sony here is not referring to the controversial Image Constraint Token for Blu-ray and HD DVD movies. Rather, they are referring to a provision in the AACS licensing agreement that strictly forbids 1080p output over anything but HDMI.
The lack of HDMI, and therefore 1080p support, undermines comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison. Last winter, he attacked the competition by dismissing the Xbox 360's HD capabilities, saying that "1080-progressive... is the true definition of HD." It looks like the low-end PS3 falls short by Sony's standards, at least when it comes to commercial Blu-ray movie playback

[...]

bill0527

KeithFranklin said:
Will you be able to stream HD content from Windows Media Center Edition to the 360 in 1080P.

Thats all I would care about since I am sitting out the HD-DVD/BluRay battle in favor of media stored on a server.

Heh, Your network would have to be a monster to handle 1080p streaming. I'm sure it would be possible, but you'd need Wireless N to do it. My wireless G network can barely handle streaming 480p and 5.1. Microsoft recommeds wireless A for 720p/1080i content. I've tried to stream 720p conent from my media center PC to my TV and its been a choppy mess because there just isn't enough bandwidth to handle it over Wireless G.

Raistlin

AlanHemberger said:
So clearly the 360 has more ways to output 1080p. Sony shitbaked? Microsoft just won the console war? Oh yeah, it never ****ing mattered to begin with. Monkeymagic, you never answered my question sweetcakes... pillow biter?

:lol

Umm, we don't know whether Sony will release a VGA cable ... so you're jumping the gun a bit.

Considering the PS2 had VGA output capability - it certainly wouldn't be surprising.

bill0527 said:
Heh, Your network would have to be a monster to handle 1080p streaming. I'm sure it would be possible, but you'd need Wireless N to do it. My wireless G network can barely handle streaming 480p and 5.1. Microsoft recommeds wireless A for 720p/1080i content. I've tried to stream 720p conent from my media center PC to my TV and its been a choppy mess because there just isn't enough bandwidth to handle it over Wireless G.

My devices for this are hardwired 100MB Ethernet. Getting one megaserver and letting TV's all over the house access it with XBOX 360's. Sick and tired of my kids moving DVD's around the house or recording something with the TIVO downstairs when my wife and I want to watch it up stairs before we go to bed.

Wireless is for sitting on the couch with my laptop.

Top Bottom